Clayton Kershaw pitched a complete game, striking out 11 and walking ZERO while giving up 5 hits.  Gallardo pitched 8 innings, allowing 6 hits while walking one and striking out 3.  Gallardo won.  Kershaw lost.  Outpitched?  Not last night!  The Dodgers were just outhit by the Brewers who capitalized while the Dodgers did their normal choke, late and close!  The Brewers are a very offensive team.  The Dodgers are merely offensive!  Clayton didn’t have his A+ game, but he wasn’t bad.  The Brewers just know how to hit… and maybe their advance scouting was a little better.  They may have known what a few pitches were going to be.

Clayton’s stuff was dramatically better than Gallardo’s but he was pitching against the Brewers while Gallardo was pitching against the Little Sisters of the Poor!   If Clayton had been pitching against the Dodgers he might have had a perfect game – that’s how bad the Dodgers offense is some nights.  If they don’t jump to  a big lead, they are almost always toast! I thought Mark McGwire would change the culture, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  Something has to give here.

Albuquerque has officially killed-off Zach Lee – he went 5 innings and allowed 6 runs on 11 hits.  Stick a fork in him – he’s done!  Dodger Brass = Morons!

Jesmuel Valentin was expendable, but he could be a decent utility-man in the future.  Another player or cash considerations is due Philly (their choice).  How about both?  Give them Ralston Cash!

Here’s something I’ve been trying to tell everyone since the Dodgers traded for Hanley Ramirez (from Steve Dilbeck of The LA Times):

The Times surveyed six baseball insiders, a mix of agents and club officials, to get a sense of the market that awaited Ramirez. For every one, the eye test agreed with advanced defensive metrics: Ramirez is a below-average shortstop, and not getting better.

Unless Ramirez sells himself as a premium hitter willing to play anywhere in the field, he might not get more than two years, one of the insiders said.

He wants to play shortstop,” that person said. “I think that’s going to be a hurdle. I don’t know if anyone is going to buy into a shortstop contract.”

While the conventional wisdom is that Ramirez can move to third base, two of the people surveyed by The Times suggested he might no longer have the quick instincts or arm strength necessary to excel at that position. Ramirez rarely throws overhand these days, although that could change if he can recover the strength in his injured right shoulder.

One of those people pointed to first base or left field as possible positions for Ramirez; another suggested second base. If he were to sign with an American League team, designated hitter also would be an option. Of course, a premium bat is worth more at shortstop than at first base, third base, left field, or DH.

I’ve been trying to tell you that Hanley can’t play  SS or 3B, for that matter.   He’s a 2B, LF or 1B.  End of story.  Mostly, he’s a DH, and if he is asked to play somewhere else, other than SS, he likely will be a problem for the team that signs him.  Corey Seager will likely be ready sometime next season, so forgetabout 3B!  Corey hit .352 at RC and is hitting .352 at Chatt!  For the mathematically challenged that means he’s hitting .352 for the season.  19 HR, 85 RBI, 43 Doubles, 4 Triples, .403 OB%, 1.015 OPS.  I dare you to find a player of that age, who has done that well – there aren’t many!

Give him the necessary offer to secure a draft pick and let him sign elsewhere.

Could Andre Ethier be part of a Jon Niese trade?  If the Dodgers eat 3/4 of his contract…  Andre needs to go.  He has no value for the Dodgers.

Ryu’s injury could keep him out for up to 6 weeks, if he has to work back into shape.  At any rate, he won’t get a rehab assignment because the minor league season will be over.  The same with Uribe.  Both player could use better eating habits and off-season conditioning regimens.

It’s interesting to me that Matt Kemp and Ryan Braun are both hitting .278 and each has 15 HR in about 400 AB’s.  Kemp has a .344 OB% to Braun’s .331 OB%.

Greenwave-Info

1. idahoal says:

I like the philosophy of the Brewers when they are batting. They swing at the first pitch, if it a good one. All pitchers try to get ahead in the count. Kershaw is no different. Many times the first pitch is the only good pitch you will see in your at bat. Why not swing at it. The Dodgers are not aggressive batters. They take too many pitches. When Puig and Kemp get two strikes, you know they are going to see a slider just outside the strike zone. Gordon, AJ, and Ethier will not swing at the first pitch. I agree with you Mark on our hitting coach.

Semantics. Kershaw gave up two bombs and two booming doubles. Gaillardo went 8, scattered 6 meaningless hits and got the W. We know the man crush you have on Kershaw, but accept it – he got out pitched.

Ramirez can still run, I’ve seen it many times this year. He obviously can still hit, so there is nothing wrong with his hand eye. The coach in me says he can still play defense – if he wants to. Defense requires countless hours of hard work. If he were willing, I could make a third baseman out of him. In fact, since he can still run, I could improve his SS UZR in a matter of weeks. He still has the physical tools to get it done. The question for me is a simple one – will he do the required work. Maybe he has an excuse this year, the injuries. Maybe the injuries are a result of lack of conditioning. I don’t know the man. I’m not his coach. But if I were, I would get some answers. You ask for $100 million. You ask for that money because of what you did in the past. I want to know how much work you intend to do to earn that money in the future. You aren’t 25 anymore. You can’t just fall out of bed now and go out and put up an .800 OPS. IF we guarantee the money, what will YOU guarantee?

It just doesn’t work that way in MLB. And that is why a one year qualifier is the likely outcome. If he carries the team in September and October, that could change. Stand by.

• Mark TImmons says:

Mancrush? Nope!

I just admire greatness. SandyKoufax was one of my main computer passwords for years.

Kershaw pitched a hell of a game, better than Gallardo, but the Brewers just got 3 runs. That is going to happen, even when you have your good stuff.

The Dodgers just fail to capitalize on opportunities which the Brewers don’t!

• toucheturtle says:

Agree Clayton pitched a good game. Plus, Matt Kemp came close to robbing Braun in the fourth inning. With a little bit of luck, the game would have changed in Kershaw’s favor.

Ok.

But I will take 1 run in 8 over 3 runs in 9 every single time.

Blame it on the Dodgers hitters? Fine. But do you blame it on opposing hitters when Kershaw wins? No. When that happens you are admiring greatness. Man crush. I’m sticking with that ;)

and we curse a lot…….

So, next time your wife walks in the room, show her your manly side. Curse, spit, grab your nut-sack and fart. I guarantee you do this and you will get a reaction. :)

Oops. Wife just said “you left out belch”. And of course she is right, so, show some versatility – fart and belch at the same time.

I am available for marriage counseling. Visit – “Living With Divorce.com”

Everything about baseball that Badger said. I’ll pass on the other stuff. (SMILE!!!!!!)

Kershaw pitched a very good game, but gave up 3 runs on some very hard hit balls. Just accept it. It’s not like any of us has said that Kershaw is a bad pitcher. Just not the best that some of us have seen.

You’ve been telling us about Hanley? Really!!!!!! Everyone around here has long recognized Hanley’s defensive shortcomings. But getting him turned out to be a plus for the Dodgers, unless you think they would have reached the NLCS last year without him. And what makes anyone think that Hanley can play LF, 1B, or 2B? The problem with Hanley is mostly the trust anyone has that he can stay on the field. For that reason, and his defensive shortcomings I have long advocated that the Dodgers NOT re-sign him, give him a qualifying offer and hope that we get a couple of draft picks (correct me if I’m wrong, but the I believe the Dodgers would get a pick from the signing team plus a supplemental pick between the first and second rounds). I, and a lot of others, are fully in favor of the Dodgers getting younger and more athletic. And now that we have some promising prospects, it’s time to move forward in that direction.

You continue to dwell on the 2012 deals, and tell us how bad they were. Well, in fact, they were good deals that bought time for the Dodgers to establish a player development strategy, that is beginning to bear fruit. No doubt, the Dodgers will still spend big on an established player if it fills a current vacuum. But for the most part you can expect that they will increasingly seek to solve needs from within. And Corey Seager, who you love so much (and I and others also have high hopes for him) is a product of successful Dodger talent evaluation. In case you’re not aware, he was taken by the Dodgers with the 18th overall pick in 2012, just BEFORE the Cardinals took Michael Wacha with the 19th pick. Looking more and more as if the Dodgers talent evaluators made the right choice. It might interest you to know, that in their mock draft in 2012, Baseball America had the Dodgers picking Wacha. But then again, those same evaluators rated Puig higher than other teams, and managed to sign Julio Urias on the same scouting trip (actually a bit after, since Urias didn’t turn 16 until August) that netted them Puig.

The Dodgers, with all their warts, are relevant again, and look as if they’re going to remain relevant going into the future. The plan is working.

Great post Brooklyn.

What? You sayin you wouldn’t attend my “Successful Marriage” clinics?

Ramirez. I wait to see what he does in September and October. He needs to come through large to secure his future.

Yoiks.

The back end of this rotation can’t handle the best teams in this league. AND, you got to hit with them to play with them. We’re not doing that if late.

Might as well lave him in for 100 pitches.

• Blake Estes says:

I’ll chop this up to the brewers having the dodgers number and the boys need a day off. No need to panic. I think our subs are better then the padre starters.

The extra o is for how many runs we got.

Haren gone after 74 pitches. I guess Donnie figures we are gonna score 7 and win this thing. Note to Donnie….. A. we are probably going to need more than 7 and 2. see that extra o reference.

This is a team that looks like it needs some rest.

• Campy says:

We haven’t scored more than 1 run in an enning “in like, forever”, therefore we can’t score enough to win. So just call the game and rest our pitchers, the batters are already resting.

Think Colletti called down to Donnie to tell him to get Haren out of the game? Haren now has now completed 143 innings. Dodgers have 36 games after this one. He has a chance to get to 180 innings, but the odds are diminishing.

Maybe this will be 1988 all over again. That year the Mets beat the Dodgers 10 of 11, and of course, lost to the Dodgers in the NLCS in 7 games. And that was after the Dodgers blew a 2-0 lead in game 1 of that series in the 9th inning, and lost it 3-2.

5. bobbie17 says:

I saw the Brewers in spring training, and I was surprised how good they were, with few players I had ever heard of. Maybe they are that good. They beat Greinke twice and could have beat Kershaw twice. We may be seeing the NL Champ. The Dodgers are what we see every week: up and down. Without starting pitching the boys are dead. The hitting and bullpen are totally unreliable. Too many warts, and now with injuries on top. Please, Giants, keep sucking. By the way, we play the Padres this week, and the Pads are playing some of the best baseball in the league. What will be the standings next Sunday?

We don’t have Ramirez or Uribe and Haren don’t count. All we need is everyone healthy starting next month and we should be fine. Right now the Brewers are playing well. I’ll give them that. But I think we beat them post season.

We MUST be full strength and peaking in September. If we look like this then……….

Mark, you are right, Kershaw did pitch a great game yesterday. Yes, he did. But — it was not good enough to win. Thus, he was out pitched in that he did not win.

I am a team player — it is not how he pitched, no walks, bunches of Ks, etc. But the OTHER team scored off of him and won the game. And winning games is where it is at. Just ask a GM or manager who is trying to save their job. He needs wins. Effective pitching is nice, but losses hurt.

Last several days have said: the Brewers are a better team, and the Dodgers have a lot of holes. Now another question, are the “holes” because the other team is just flat out better, or the Dodgers are just really not good hitters???

S.F. is beating the Phillies in the 7th.

Just the beginning. Dodgers win in bottom of 9th in a furious rally. How’s that for positive thinking. Need to do that to muffle the “what have you done for me lately” people. Agree with Badger. This team needs to be healthy and peaking come September/October. Once the playoffs begin, anything can happen. My glass remains half full.

8. idahoal says:

A lot has been said on this board about our AAA team and what the stats may mean. I am convinced after watching Frias and Baez pitch. The pitchers at Alb. are better than the stats show. Also, the hitter stats are probably not as good as they show. So, why not bring up Lee? I sure hope he receives a Sept call up.

Agree al. I have heard nothing in the way of an explanation why we don’t give this first round bonus baby a shot. Can he be worse than Haren?

Maybe I should rephrase that.

Isn’t it possible he could be better than Haren?

9. BOB says:

The road to the World Series goes through Milwaukee. Time for the players to have a team meeting and talk it out. Dodgers are playing like they want to play in the Little League World Series. Butera with 6 LOB. Haren obviously did not warm up correctly again today. Rarely does an error lead to 3 unearned runs. Kemp is back in his periodic slump at .230 for August. Bad day all around. Frias pitched ok with the appropriate number of days rest.

Time to play the Padres (6-4), the Mets (5-5) and D-Backs (4-6). Hoping for at least a split of the 10 games remaining in August. 3 days rest out of the next 11 days. Unfortunately they look like they need a week off.

I learned some thing today:

Must think positive about the Dodgers, and

Stats are important.

Translate —– DODGERS OUT HIT THE BREWERS. Yes, our Los Angeles Dodgers came from behind today to out hit the Milwaukee Brewers, 8 to 7. Leading the Dodgers to be the best in this game, hit wise, were Barney with 2 hits, Puig with 1 hit, Gonzalez with 1 hit, Ethier with 1 hit, Van Slyke with 1 hit, Crawford with 1 hit, and Turner with 1 hit. Great going guys. Oh, but the Brewers won the game 7 to 2. Dodger fans will have to wait till Tuesday to see if the guys can finally win a game.

Actually Roger, the Dodgers have won 70 games. No team in the NL has won more.

Want a positive way to look at things, try this out. When the Dodgers got finished sweeping the midgets recently they were 1.5 game ahead. Now they’re 3.5 games ahead. Tell me if my math is wrong, but that appears to me to be a gain of an additional 2 games. Tell me that if someone had told you then that the Dodgers would be 3.5 games ahead after the game of 8/17 that you wouldn’t have been satisfied.

The Dodgers will have a team meeting if they think one is necessary. In my opinion it isn’t. A team meeting now would probably be a panic move. These guys are professionals. They know that a baseball season is filled with peaks and valleys. If they need a team meeting to motivate themselves to start winning, then they need to be doing something else for a living. So they lost a three game series to the Brewers. They also lost 2 of 3 from the Cubs. But they also took 3 of 4 from the Angels and 3 of 4 from the Braves.

And I don’t think the road to the World Series is necessarily through Milwaukee. Just like the Dodgers have hit a bump in the road, so too could the Brewers, or any team for that matter. Some of you act as if you’ve just started watching baseball, and have no clue as to the ebbs and flows of a long season. I’m not saying the Dodgers don’t have warts, because they do. But if they get to the playoffs anything can happen. They could be cold and get eliminated quickly, or they could be on the top of their game and win it all. Or something in-between. I don’t have a clue as to what will happen, but I do know that my judgment is not based on how they’re playing recently. I gave an example above of how the Dodgers lost 10 of 11 to the Mets during the regular season in 1988, but beat them in a 7 game NLCS. I’ve also mentioned in the past that the Dodgers ended the 2006 season by winning their last 7 games, and then were swept by the Mets 3 straight in the NLDS. And here’s another one. In 2006 after the All-Star break the Dodgers lost 13 of 14, and followed that up by winning 17 of 18. Be careful about making predictions on what the team in doing now. Things can turn on a dime.

I still suspect that the Dodgers will not bring up Lee in September. Unless he’s brought up by August 31st, he will be ineligible to pitch in the postseason. Consequently, I doubt if the Dodgers will place him on the 40-man roster before he has to be there, which isn’t until November. Same goes for Pederson. Dodgers’ management doesn’t think like fans. I seriously doubt if they’re going to tamper with the 40-man roster unless they’re absolutely convinced that doing so will benefit the team in the short term.

Frias and Baez definitely appear to have potential going into next year. Both currently lack the sort of consistent command that will make them successful, but they clearly have the stuff. I think they could both compete for bullpen spots next year, and in Frias’ case, maybe even a spot in the rotation. And in Baez’s case, keep in mind that he’s only been pitching since last year.

Why would anyone be surprised that Butera left 6 men on base? I’m in shock when he gets a hit. Butera came into this season with a lifetime average in the .180′s. He’s actually hitting over his head this year. And I’m looking for better than a split of the next 10 games. How about our first 10 game winning streak.

Click Here to Leave a Reply