mean-as-a-junkyard-dog

The Dodgers had three, count ‘em 3, Twenty Million Dollar “Blue Blood Hitters” in the lineup last night who combined, make more than the entire San Diego Padres team, and yet it was a JUNKYARD DOG who won the game for the Dodgers… that and a Blue Blooded Pitcher who plays like a Junkyard Dog.

In my world, being ordained as a “JUNKYARD DOG” is a compliment of the highest order, and Justin Turner has earned that moniker.  In my opinion, the only Blue Blood worth his salary is The Mighty Kershaw who did what a Kershaw does last night (8 IP, 3 Hits, 10 K’s, 1 Run).  Blue Bloods Gonzalez, Kemp and Crawford were 1-8 last night, but it was the Junkyard Dog Turner who went yard to win the game for Clayton.

Here’s the importance of Junkyarddogism:  Last night’s come from behind win in the 8th inning was the Dodgers FIRST OF THE SEASON… up until last night they were 0-46 in those situations.

Rants & Raves

• Joc Pederson hit his 31st last night.
  • Zach Lee – 5.1 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 6 K’s as he pitched against Jair Jurrjens (6 IP, 9 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 6 K’s).
  • Scott Schebler is a very interesting prospect.   He’s worth watching.
  • I know that Lee is not on the 40-Man Roster, but I think he deserves a shot, if only to confirm what I believe – that he’s no better than a Number 5!
  • I also look for the Dodgers to try Matt Magill – his arm is fresh!
  • This should be an interesting weekend – pitching-wise.

ladodger-brought-to-you-by-uswater

1. BOB says:

Congrats to Turner, who I have always like as opposed to some in here who were disparaging Ned during April for signing him because of his April slump. I remember what was being said in April and May by some in here.

And let me say one more time. Sam Bedrosian, drafted 29th in 2010, yes right after Zach Lee, and much less highly regarded, and who lost all of 2011 because of Tommy John surgery and who did NOT HAVE to be added to the Angels 40 man roster is in the major leagues as a relief pitcher. This is a guy who failed as a starting pitcher, 6.31 ERA in 2012, and pitched poorly as a reliever in 2013 with an ERA 4.37, yet is in the majors at age and is 19 days YOUNGER than Zack Lee and is the Angels #5 prospect. And yes, the Angels currently have the best record in MLB so why are they wasting prospects? Real GMs bring up the right player for the job when need and do not care about the CLOCK. The Angels are going for the World Series Championship and they have a pitcher on the 25 man roster who is younger than Lee, less touted than Lee, and apparently now better than Lee. Doing what is best for the team is what matters, not following stupid rules about the Clock. Especially when the Dodgers have a higher rated minor league system than the Angels and A LOT MORE MONEY. If anyone should be worried about the CLOCK it is the Angels, not the Dodgers.

“So….. you knew that Brooklyn? I sure didn’t. I found it interesting.” — Badger in previous thread

I’m not 100% sure of what you’re referring to, but I’m guessing it’s about Koufax’s status after his bonus signing. Yes, after I posted it occurred to me that the Dodgers could have sent him to the minors after two years. But I determined that wasn’t important, because they didn’t do it, and Koufax had no control over that. In the end, he got limited work through 1957, which picked up a bit from 1958-60. But if you look at those years, it’s apparent that he wasn’t a regular in the rotation, given his games started vs. the total number of games he appeared in in those years. It’s only in 1961, when he appeared in 42 games, 35 of them starts, that he became a fixture in the rotation.

In any case, my argument about Lee is that the Dodgers don’t have to place on the 40-man based on the current rules. If Lee had been drafted out of college in 2010, he would have been required to be on the 40-man, which is the case for players that were drafted that year who are on 40-man rosters now. Fact is, most teams will not place a player on the 40-man if they don’t have to, unless that player is truly exceptional, and that they expect him to make a large impact immediately. In Lee’s case there’s nothing in his numbers to this point which suggest that. Consequently, I think the Dodgers may have decided not to get his clock started before they actually have to. And as I pointed out previously, it could well be that the Dodgers consider Carlos Frias just as good, if not better, a prospect than Lee, and he’s already on the 40-man, given that he’s been playing professionally since 2007. And I suspect that we won’t see Pederson this year because the Dodgers would prefer not to get his clock started either, and are not fully confident that he can make a large impact, given that he is very likely to struggle in his initial exposure to major league pitching, which isn’t unusual with even the best of prospects (e.g., Oscar Taveras with the Cardinals, and Gregory Polanco with the Pirates, both higher rated than Pederson at the beginning of 2014). And you might notice that Polanco is the same age as Pederson, and wonder why he’s on the 40-man. The answer is simple, he signed as an amateur free agent out of the Dominican Republic in 2009, the year before Pederson was drafted).

“I know that Lee is not on the 40-Man Roster, but I think he deserves a shot, if only to confirm what I believe – that he’s no better than a Number 5!” — Mark

And that’s my point exactly. I think it’s unlikely that the Dodgers want to get Lee’s clock started if they don’t think he’ll make a significant impact THIS YEAR. After all, they already have Carlos Frias on the roster, and he probably fits that #5, if not better, just as well as Lee.

Don’t know if it’s a trend, but the last two Dodgers victories were come from behind wins, the most dramatic of course being yesterday. All hail the Junkyard Dog. Maybe that’s what it takes to motivate the blue bloods. Maybe “Junkyarddogism” is contagious. At least we can hope so.

Lee is 23 next month. The Dodgers NEED starting pitching. Start the f’n clock already.

The “blue bloods” as Mark likes to call them, have been disappointing. I called this a summer team. I figured the 20 million dollar vets knew when to turn it on and the heat of summer would be better for their old joints (I know it is for mine) – but so far I was wrong. These guys often look like they are hitting without a clue – taking strikes down the middle and swinging at crap in the dirt or 8″ off the plate. Ethier last night, in his one at bat, looked exactly like what he is – a player cold as ice who hasn’t played in what feels like weeks. This is turning into one odd collection of players.

September. Pennant race. October. The money month. Note to blue bloods……. It’s time to turn it on.

6. Watford Dodger says:

I was interested to read Roger’s comments about our hitting WRISP because I too think we are pathetic in the clutch. However, I’m sure Badger posted a piece last week with an attachment with our stats so far this season – and I think ( and may be wrong ), that we ranked 5th of 32 in that category. Are we bring too harsh? Do all teams supporters think the same way? I remember last season that the Cards had a superb record in the clutch. It seems to me that we’ve bed rubbish WRISP for years but maybe it’s not bourne out in reality? Are we all inherently cynical in here? I know I am. We could be leading by 6 in the the 9th & I’d still be happy to take it to extra innings! Maybe all teams are like the Dodgers in reality?

I think it revolves around the expectations of a $200 million roster. I know Mark reminds us of that every few minutes and to a point I think he is right. This team SHOULD win the West and they should do it with room to spare – just like they did last year. I keep thinking we were one broken rib and a Kershaw meltdown from a World Series last year. This is basically the same core group. They know what needs to be done. If they don’t do it I reckon the roster will be addressed in the coming months. For what it’s worth, I still believe in this team.

In the end you may be right.

Let’s see what happens when Ramirez and Uribe return. And I pray to baseball gods that Ryu and Greinke finish the year IN the rotation.

7. Watford Dodger says:

And maybe Perez comes back refreshed and gets hot. This group of players is fine when healthy. Agon has picked up the pace but we will need Hanley to hit & Puig to spark again. Gordon has become a key piece and maybe it’s time to recall FedEx – he couldn’t be any hotter right now. CC is doing ok too.

Cam Bedrosian is not exactly lighting the world on fire. And I don’t know whether or not he was all that much less highly regarded than Lee in 2010. I don’t remember exactly, but I do recall reading about him then, and that he was pretty highly regarded. In fact, he must have been if taken in the first round.

And I don’t believe in blindly following the clock, but I also believe that you don’t ignore the clock unless you’re completely convinced that the player is ready, and ready now. I don’t think that’s the case with Lee, and the Dodgers probably believe the same thing. People around here are being blinded by the $5 million he received. That should have absolutely nothing to do with the decision on whether or not to add him to the 40-man roster and bring him up. Maybe there’s a consensus in the Dodgers’ organization that he’s not ready at this time, and that it makes no sense to waste a 40-man roster spot on a player who is not likely to make a difference, or, in fact, who might make a difference, negatively. And I’ll continue to repeat that the Dodgers do have a young starting pitcher currently on the roster, Carlos Frias, who might actually be thought of more highly than Lee within the organization. Frias currently has a 5.40 ERA in limited outings, but teams are also hitting .211 against him, and he has a 1.00 WHIP. Maybe it’s just those two HR he gave up that inflated his ERA. In fact, 3 of the 6 earned runs he’s given up came in a single outing. Maybe the Dodgers should trust him with a start or two and see what happens.

9. bobbie17 says:

The Giants are at Nats this weekend. A good time for us to pick up a couple of games in the standings. Giants ace pitched Thursday, so he won’t this weekend. So did ours, but we get the Mets, who did a decent job at A’s this week. I think we will have to hit this series, 5+ runs a game. Anyone heard of Puig lately? Is he getting pitched around? Puig, AGon and Kemp are key—-again. Nothing will happen with the roster until 9-1. These owners seem to be on the conservative side with acquisitions, use of players, etc., so I don’t expect much from anyone not already on the 25 man roster. I think it thinks all we need is good health from those who are on the DL. Good health is not for purchase, unfortunately.

Frankly I was surprised we did not make the deadline move and have not made the waiver move. Could be ownership is just sitting back saying “hey, you’re being paid big money to produce big results – produce already”. Can’t say I blame them. The talent is already on the roster. If the magic saber-health dude Stan the Man can keep them all on the field for about 8 weeks starting soon, this team could do it. But, if .375 of our lineup ever night are backups and our pitching staff is made up of Kershaw, 2 ghost riders and a stable of #5s, it could end badly.

Please, we are not asking for miracles here, if it’s only for this year, give us a 100% healthy squad for those 8 weeks.

10. Bruce says:

For the talent assembled this has to be the most lethargic hitting team in MLB. Their team batting avg (RISP) is pathetic, and BORING to watch. How about playing with a little passion, act like your having fun, it is a kids game remember. Show me a Dodger fan that you can do more than ground into a DP with men on base, or swing at the first pitch a few times Ellis until they stop throwing it over the center of the plate.

My thought is they act like they think they can turn it on at will, much like last year (42-8), unfortunately that is not happening (now only two come from behind victories on the season), and it probably won’t happen even if HR is soon activated, he will do what he has done all year – hit for a pedestrian 260-275 avg and a few towering home runs. Lastly with the way this team is hitting we better see Pederson this year, and the other Cuban (who can hit) for that matter, and sooner rather than later. Someone needs to light a fire, Pederson might not be that guy as Puig’s was last year, but we will never know unless he is taking swings in LA. With any other team he would have already been promoted. Been watching Dodger baseball since “Moon shots” at the LA Coliseum and because of the talent and expectations this team in many ways is the most frustrating to watch.

11. Watford Dodger says:

Thanks for the link Roger. If I’m reading it right, we have the 5th best average WRISP. With the most hits at 308, which doesn’t necessarily mean runs scored, but that was the stat that I remembered from last week. With the bases loaded we are stone last as you say. What I was trying to say was that maybe we are not as bad as we think WRISP.

12. BOB says:

If Dodger management continues to refuse to bring up Lee then they should consider putting Fife on the 60 Day DL and place Bennett on the 40 man roster for call-up in September. Albu’s last scheduled game is 9/1. Bennett began the year in the THIRD AAA league – Mexico (2.44 ERA) then transferred to the Dodger’s AAA team (3.82) in the PCL. His ERA is so much lower than Lee’s. Is he that much better than Lee? Maybe he should be given a shot. If he fails then he could always be DFA’d during September since he is scheduled to have his season over on 9/1/2014 anyway. Start some clocks and think outside the BOX!

Watford Dodger — the link I sent above for was with BASES LOADED — the Dodgers are in last place or call in 30th in MLB. With bases loaded they are hitting .172 and the Reds are hitting .346. This is what Vin made reference to the other day.

Another stat: runner at 3rd, less than 2 outs — Dodgers are #25 out of 30 (only 5 teams worse).

Bring up Pederson Now . . . or do they want those two more stolen bases to be a 30/30 guy in AAA.

Just thought of this (my old brain works slowly). Based on the Dodgers hitting with the bases loaded, and with 2nd and 3rd, it’s pretty obvious what opposing managers must do. If the Dodgers get runners on 2nd and 3rd, automatically put the next hitter on first and load the bases. No matter who the hitter is and who’s on deck, and no matter how many outs there are.

I think it says a lot that we lead ALL of baseball in at bats with runners in scoring position. That includes all AL teams who have 9 hitters in their lineup every night.

Now, how to get those guys home.

This is great news people. Where be the shouting for joy? Albuquerque is history. Lee gets to work on his breaking stuff in the flatlands for the next 2 years.

Good catch Michael.

Even better than what I posted above from Dodgers Digest, which didn’t mention that the Dodgers may have an ownership interest in Oklahoma City. Of course, I’ll feel better if/when this thing is announced officially.

I think it’s even more than pitchers like Lee getting a chance to work on their breaking pitches. It’s also got to give them a better chance of honing their command, since they’ll be less fearful of throwing strikes. And hopefully Lee shows enough that he doesn’t have to spend the next two years in Oklahoma City. And our hitters will finally get to see quality breaking stuff.

It’s been discussed in here whether or not the Dodgers should have (still could) made a run at working out a deal with the Mets for Jon Niese. Well, we get a first hand look at him tonight.

Methinks Puig needs a few nights off. Pederson? No. The 1th is still a week off. Did you read the piece today about Ethier’s frustration? Maybe let him play a couple games against RHP. Suddenly Puig looks lost up there.

21. BOB says:

Adrian and Kemp swing at first pitch curveballs. Dummies all around when you let a struggling pitcher off the hook with 45 pitches in 4 innings. Not even worth thinking about.

Unless it’s a hanging curve belt high you’re looking for on the first pitch (and only a few ever look to hit a first pitch curve) let it go. You have two more strikes to look for that mistake.

I read in Rumors about the move to OKC, but they were quoting the OKC paper. I still prefer Fresno. Who in Oklahoma are Dodgers fans? I know they have an intense rivalry with Texas so maybe they don’t care much those teams. Royals and Cardinals? Who knows, maybe they’ll love a connection with LA. Personally I can’t see it. Doesn’t get much more conservative than Oklahoma.

And who didn’t see AJ hitting into a double play? I say again, he bunts with a runner on first and less than 2 outs. I don’t care if a runner is at third – that man bunts.

22. idahoal says:

I did read what Ethier had to say? He is not a happy camper and I do not blame him. I feel the Dodgers will win the West. However, I agree with Mark, I just do not like this team. They are not playing close to their potential. Maybe when all come back in Sept., I will feel better.

• BOB says:

Ok City probably likes baseball because there are a lot of switch hitters there especially at OCU. And switch hitters are usually liberal. OKC was half extreme wild west and half conservative in 1900 when people actually listed prostitution as their occupation on the Federal Census! It still is half and half just not as extreme. But your right OKC is not Austin.

23. BOB says:

Wow, you sure never know what Haren is going to do. Looks like the beginning of another slump for Puig and Adrian. Glad the schedule provides 2 days off next week with 2 travel days with 2 hour trips and one 2 game series. Vinny might like that.

Haren now at 150 innings with 32 games left. If he gets 6 more starts, he only has to average 5 innings per game to get to 180. Looks like he might do it.

Read that Ethier stuff. Seems as if the Dodgers will have to make every effort over the winter to unload him. And since other teams know it, any interested party will want the Dodgers to pick up a very large piece of what remains on his contract. No way to avoid that without surrendering a top prospect in a package deal.

You’re probably right about that. The outfield situation was mishandled and it will cost the Dodgers. But it shouldn’t cost more than 1/2 that contract. If Ethier is playing every day he will put up 8+ WAR over the next 4 years, the length of his contract. There are some places (Boston, Texas) where he would actually earn the money. I understand the Dodgers shot themselves in the foot but there is no reason to get fleeced again.

Haren surprised but Mets offense is currently one of the worst in the league so, we need to take advantage of that.

OKC is open minded about lifestyles? That would surprise me. I saw on a map once that Oklahoma was the reddest state in the union. That would suggest anything California is not acceptable, but, I could be wrong about that. It is a large city. And 1900 was a different time in that area. It was the Gusher Age. Both my grandfathers, and their fathers, were roughnecks and that entire area was filled with liquor dealers, prostitutes. scam artists, pick pockets, gamblers, all looking for a chunk of the workers pay checks.

• BOB says:

Oil was discover in Tulsa in 1901 about 25 years before being discovered in the OKC area. In 1900 OKC was a large City and Tulsa was a very small city. Maybe you are mixing your historical facts. Oklahoma City University has traditionally had a large Music Theater program. Hint Hint!

The state’s name is derived from the Choctaw words okla and humma, meaning “red people”. Does not seem to be politically correct for a California MLB team to have an affiliation with anything in the Sooner State.

Well you may be right about OKC, but there was oil in Oklahoma long before it was discovered in the city. I just looked, the very first well was drilled in 1859, first commercial wells were pre 1900, but the boom was a few years after that. Not sure why there would be so many hookers in 1900 if it wasn’t for the roughnecks. But, regarding Oklahoma tolerance for progressive thinking – I really doubt it. I know Ok had a 31% margin for McCain, and that tells me all I need to know. But, I’m pretty sure they like baseball. It will be interesting to see how the area responds. They won’t likely outdraw Albuquerque, but who cares.

Interesting. If you go back over the last 5 years Albuquerque has averaged around 8, OKC, over 5. And that’s with a sort of local club. Have to wonder what an LA team would mean to those folks. Anyone want to guess? They have had several changes over the years. Astros,a Rangers, Phillies, Indians. Don’t know if that means anything.

Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. It just says LA, don’t you think?

Lincecum chased after 2.2. That’s a good thing.

• BOB says:

Chickasaw = a well traveled people just for a different reason than most So Cal fans. Bricktown, the Padres used to play at Qualcomm stadium which was built on an old brickyard. Ballpark, surrounded by Joe Carter Avenue, Johnny Bench Drive, and Mickey Mantel Circle = what better place to play baseball? And for diversity it is located less than a mile east of OKC’s former Hell’s Half Acre, which was know for very liberal views and lifestyle.

Isn’t Justin Turner supposed to be Uribe’s replacement? Why is Rojas in the lineup playing 3B? Turner is hot, plays solid defense at 3B, and certainly doesn’t need a rest.

27. BOB says:

Turner is used to playing 55% to 65% of a season. He has played 8 of the last 10 games. Other players need to play in order to maintain their skill level. That is Donnie showing good foresight. Because of the plethora of injuries you got to keep everybody playing because you do not know what the future holds. That being said, rest Puig more often and play Ethier more often. Donnie, just stop resting 3 starting position players on the same day.

28. t.o.dave says:

Adrian Garcia of Lasordaslair wrote an interesting article today about Bartolo Colon being placed on waivers. I agree with him that the Dodgers should put a claim in. The 11 million owed next year just might be what allows the Dodgers to win a claim AND not have to trade any prospects as the Mets might gladly let him and the money owed go to the Dodgers. We need more insurance since Greinke may not finish strong, Ryu may be out a while or may not regain his stuff in time for a strong finish and post season run. As Garcia pointed out, relying on Haren, Correia, and Hernandez/Carmona is a slippery slope. What’s 11 million to the Dodgers? More than chump change, sure, but there doesn’t seem to be a young stud ready to break down the door this season or next to contribute as a back end starter. Seems we may have to wait a couple seasons for Urias to do so. Maybe Lee, Reed or Frias can contribute as starters next year, maybe not. Colon might be useful beyond insurance for a push towards this post season in spite of the money owed next year and the Dodgers can pay it. Beckett and Billinglsey will come off the books after all.

Pederson is now 30/30 in the PCL and coming this way.

Dodger hitters maybe are beginning to feel it . . .

Greinke, how is he doing? Lots of Hist through 6.

I watched a bunch of the Cubs game today, and over the past several days . . . Baez and some of their other younger hitters really ATTACK THE BALL with their swings. Almost like they are being taught in the minor leagues to hit that way. Impressive, when they hit the ball. I think I have seen most of Baez’s HRs. In 78 ABs he has 7 HRs and 11 RBI, but has 34 Ks and only 4 BBs. But he is impressive when he connects.

You are right dave, the Dodgers have nobody un the pipeline they trust, so I’m fine with adding another veteran arm. The mets have to pick up a chunk of that 11 mil though. Colon is like 50 years old.

CB Buckner is as bad a balls and strikes umpire as there is in the league. And there’s some bad umps in this league.

30. BOB says:

de ja vu all over again. 2 batters reach base off Wilson. If no one is warming up in the bullpen then Donnie is a MORON. Third batter reaches base then Wilson better be replaced or fake an injury so a real relief pitcher can warm-up for 5 minutes.

• BOB says:

The Dodgers were lucky because the Met tried to pull an outside pitch like the stereotypical undisciplined LA Dodger batter. Still was a dumb move having Howell pitch to one batter. Donnie will never change.

31. Campy says:

Is it written somewhere in the “Law and the Prophets” that Wilson is not allowed to get three, or even two, outs in a row? Can’t understand why he takes Howell out after one batter and brings in Wilson.

When I saw Wilson warming up in the pen last night I kept saying to myself, “please don’t bring Wilson in”. Of course, my wishes were ignored. Did Wilson throw any pitch above 88 last night? If he did, I didn’t see it. In fact, even though he’s not a finished product, I would have liked to see Pedro Baez used in that situation. He’s consistently 95-99, and has done well enough that I would trust him with a 3-run lead in the 8th inning as a bridge to Jansen.

I see that the Dodgers are planning on giving Pederson a September call-up, if only to get him acclimated to life in the big leagues in preparation for next year. Makes perfect sense to me. And by the way, that brings me to the 40-man issue. I don’t think that’s necessarily a “clock” issue. Really doesn’t make much of a difference if he’s added to the 40-man now or in November, and the month he’ll spend in LA probably won’t make much of a difference either. What I think the issue might be, is who has to be moved off of the 40-man when players are added to it. It may well be that the Dodgers want to avoid moving some players off because they still see them as having potential, or perhaps because they could even be used in a potential trade.

Click Here to Leave a Reply