First the Good News – Hanley Ramirez is back off the DL.

Now the Bad News – Hanley Ramirez is back off the DL.

Bad play at the shortstop position can cost bunches of runs, no matter how gifted he is offensively.

There’s nothing about this that I can say that hasn’t already been said… ad nauseam.

I got nothin’…..

Water-Testing

“As good as this bar is,” said the Scotsman, “I still prefer the pubs back home. In Glasgow, there’s a wee place called McTavish’s.mThe landlord goes out of his way for the locals. When you buy four drinks, he’ll buy the fifth drink.”

“Well, Angus,” said the Englishman, “At my local in London , The Red Lion, the barman will buy you your third drink after you buy the first two.”

“Ahhh, dat’s nothin’,” said Paddy Sheehan, the Irishman. “Back home in me favorite pub in Galway, the moment you set foot in the place, they’ll buy you a drink, then another, all the drinks you like, actually.

Then, when you’ve had enough drinks, they’ll take you upstairs and see dat you get laid, all on the house!”

The Englishman and Scotsman were suspicious of the claims.

“Did this actually happen to you?”

“Not meself, personally, no,” admitted the Irishman, “but it did happen to me sister quite a few times.”

2. BOB says:

Instead of trying to find the best players maybe the Dodgers should rebuild next year and find the best roster.

C – Defense, OBP, and Manages the pitchers = Martin with Ellis as Sub
    1B – HRs & RBI, = Gonzalez with Uribe as Sub
    2B – Speed and High Average = Gordon with Barney as Sub
    SS – Glove, Speed = Arrrrrr with Barney as Sub
    3B – Glove and High Ave or Power = Seager with Uribe as Sub
    LF – Power and Ave = Puig
    CF – Speed, Average & Defense = Pederson with a Free agent as Sub
    RF – Power and Ave = A rehabbed Kemp with Van Slyke as a Sub

Trade Ethier and Crawford for prospects and pay most of their salary
    Offer Ramirez the 1 year contract

1. Gordon 2B

2. Puig RF

3. Gonzalez 1B

4. Kemp LF

5. Pederson CF

6. Martin C

7. Seager 3B

8. Arrrr SS

9. Pitcher

And sign healthier starting pitchers and better relief pitchers

No game equals time to think

3. Watford Dodger says:

Like the joke Badger.
    Was reading Dodger Digest and cannot believe that it’s 2 years since the Punto Trade. Where have those 2 years gone? Seems like yesterday.

It’s an off day.

Not sure who would take on the contract of Crawford. Methinks webe stuck with him. I think he’s a fine 4th outfielder. Overpaid, yes, but still capable of hitting .280 and stealing a base.

The improvements I want to see are in conditioning and base running. Somebody needs to teach these people to slide. They make too much money to a. get injured so frequently and b. not have a clue how to slide. Every kid at the LLWS slides better than Puig and Kemp.

and…. I wouldn’t hand the CF job to anybody with zero at bats in the big leagues. I don’t trust anybody we have in the minors right now. And I’m not sold on Martin either.

I’ve already commented about Martin in a couple of earlier threads. I’d only go after him if he turns out to be a bargain at not too many years/dollars. Otherwise, trade for a catcher, unless of course a good one can be acquired by some other means. And if Martin is acquired through free agency, only do so if he dosen’t receive a qualifying offer. No way he’s worth a draft pick.

I assume you mean by offering Hanley a 1 year contract, you mean that he should be given a qualifying offer. I’d do that, and then hope that he turns it down, which he most likely would. Maybe Seager gets to LA sometime in 2015, but my guess is that it’s not until about midseason, if at all (i.e., before September call-ups). Of course, a lousy year by Uribe could change everything about who plays 3B. Bob, my guess is that you have Puig in right and Kemp in left, which is what you have on the linuep, but reversed in the narrative above it). If Pederson is ready, that outfield is OK with me. And hopefully a winter focusing on getting in shape and not rehabbing will be just what the doctor ordered for Kemp.

By the way, with Gordon hitting lefties better than righties this year,

maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have Pederson hit second and move Puig down to the 5th spot (or even the 4th spot with Kemp hitting 5th). Pederson walks a lot, and maybe hitting 2nd would make him concentrate more on making contact, which in turn might contribute to him striking out less). Also, maybe Kemp or Puig could hit 3rd, with Gonzalez moving to 4th, thus avoiding 3 lefties back-to-back-to-back at the top of the lineup, with Agon hitting between the two righties, Puig and Kemp. As for Pederson hitting second, I don’t think concentrating on making contact would compromise his power. In fact, it might even help if he’s hitting the ball on the barrell more consistently. And I wouldn’t even mind if his HR rate dropped a bit, if it was accompanied by an increase in his extra base hit rate. And Pederson also has the speed to hit second.

One other thing about Kemp. It’s always appeared to me that his offensive numbers suffer when he’s pulling the ball, instead of hitting it up the middle and to right center. Seems to me that he’s pulling the ball a lot lately, hence his recently diminished numbers.

Pitching staff definitely needs to be upgraded with depth. And I think that could happen with a combination of signings, trades and from within. From what I’ve seen this year, both Carlos Frias and Pedro Baez have promise if they can refine their games to the next level. Maybe Lee can benefit away from the rarefied air of ALBQ., and maybe someone unexpected will step up.

Badger, I agree that the CF job should not be handed to a rookie. However, if Pederson earns the job out of spring training (and maybe following some action over the winter), then so be it. And if Crawford is a 4th outfielder, who are the top 3 outfielders? Certainly SVS doesn’t belong in that group, and not Ethier either.

Like I have mentioned a few dozen times, Ethier needs to be moved. And frankly I’m not that high on SVS. He had a great first half. I would like to see a real center fielder and a real catcher on next years ball club. How about trading SVS for a receiver?

Ramirez has DH written all over everything he does these days. I’m still reserving judgment on this year. If he suddenly comes alive, I can see him as a potential third base candidate on this team. I am partial to players that hit. Ramirez can hack.

I hope Pederson is our answer in centerfield. That would sure solve a lot of issues.

6. Bruce says:

The good news; Hanley’s offensive skills ain’t what they used to be and will decline every year, plus he will spend lots of time injured or at least be on Mattingly’s “day to day” list. The bad news; defensively where do you put him? If we had a DH keep him. He blocks SS for Arrr, and the same at 3rd base for someone else who has a glove, plus what sane baseball person would want him for anything but DH?
    Time to let him go IMHO. Unfortunately Uncle Ned is in charge and likes old guys.

7. Campy says:

This off season will be the time to clean house and eat a lot of cabbage ($$$). Either deserves to get a chance with another team and he will be gone (cabbage eaten). Crawford (more cabbage) will probably be gone too, even though he might make a servicable reserve OF and I can see him in that role if he is willing. Hanley needs to go to the AL because he is a black hole on defense, and we should get a draft choice for him (but no cabbage eaten). Catcher,???? AJ can stay as a backup but to whom? Martin is on his way down hill and certainly not worth much on the trade block. FedEx hits great in Alb. but can he do it in the real world? There isn’t a lot out there and Ned will have to be creative with this one, but we need to do something. I agree with Badger that SVS can be traded for a catcher, and he will probably turn into another Jason Werth

AGon looks like he has another year or two left, Gordon is great at 2nd and Uribe, if he can stay healthy is a great glove and above average bat at 3rd, for one more year.
    Puig and Kemp will be in the outfield somewhere and the 3rd OF is TBA. I think that slot can be filled from within. Joc should be given a shot and if he can’t cut it, what do you do with him? Same with Arrru at SS. And Seager looks like he is a year away which corresponds nicely with Uribe’s contract (or less than a year if Uribe can’t cut it next year). Outside of pitching it seems to me that C is the only position that we need to trade for a solution (unless FedEx has found a magic elixer).

The pitching staff is where the broom really needs to come out, Only about 4-5 untouchables the rest can be and should be replaced (perhaps with robots). There will be some tough decisions here, but others are easy to figure out.

This from Dodgers Digest.

My take is simply this. The Dodgers have probably financially profited from that deal. First off, whoever the Dodgers had in place of those players would have cost something, so that part has to be subtracted from the salaries they took on. Secondly, the surge last year that got the Dodgers into the playoffs definitely helped fill seats in 2013, and getting to the NLCS had to be worth more than a few dollars in playoff revenue, not to mention additional sold seats this year. And there has to have been some significant promotional value.

I agree about SVS being trade bait, be it for a catcher or something else of value. And remember, he doesn’t have to be traded straight-up for another player. He can be part of a package deal. Agree that Hanley has DH written all over him. I know he can hit when healthy, but I’d prefer to stay with Uribe at 3B for now, and take my chances with Seager going forward. And at short I prefer Arrue. The more I see what bad defense can do, the less and less I like Hanley. Besides, he’s become somewhat of a health risk, especially in a non-DH league. What good is a bat that you may not even be able to get into the lineup on a regular basis, especially given the defensive shortcomings of that bat.

Bruce, I wouldn’t worry so much. Remember, it’s Ned and company that have up till now refused to give Hanley what he wants most. A contract. And while Ned likes to sign veterans, it’s becoming pretty apparent to me that he’s more than willing to make room for younger players on the team, as long as there are such players available in the organization. I believe that the Dodgers will sign free agents when there isn’t a suitable alternative in the organization. When such alternatives exist, and are deemed ready to contribute, I don’t think that Ned will hesitate to bring them up. When they’re ready, players like Pederson, Seager, Urias, Baez, Frias, etc., etc., etc. will be given opportunities to compete. And let’s not think it’s only Ned. Stan Kasten has a very big say in what happens.

And as I’ve noted before, the Abreu argument is pure nonsense, given that he still hadn’t defected when this deal was consummated, and even if he had, there would have been no guarantee that he would have signed with the Dodgers.

Coming into tonight the Dodgers have only a 3 game lead over the midgets in the loss column due to the fact that the Dodgers have played 3 more games than the midgets. The midgets play tonight and Thursday night against the Rockies, both days off for the Dodgers. So after Thursday we should get a better read on just how much of a lead the Dodgers have. So for now, all I have to say is GO ROCKIES.

10. BOB says:

Martin is the only serviceable starting catcher to be a free agent next year. The price for catchers is and will continue to be very high for the near future.

“Stan Kasten has a very big say in what happens” – Thank God!

132 games have been played so far this year by the Dodgers. That leaves only 30 games left to be played. The Dodgers have a very easy schedule from now until the end of the season. I Hope the Dodgers go 20-10 but they had better go at least 18-12 the rest of the way or they will be judged by me to not be a real threat in the playoffs.. That being said, the Dodgers should rest one starting position player each game until the season is over, both for the purpose of rest and to give playing time to the subs who might be needed in the playoffs considering the injury prone nature of Ned’s Over The Hill Gang and Conte’s obvious but not yet scientifically proven incompetence.

Good takes.

I am still hopeful that Ramirez will earn that big contract by helping to carry the Dodgers to the finish line. He knows how important the next two months are. Not only does he need to help the Dodgers get there, he needs to play a part in the finish, which is a World Series. And I will add this, with the nagging injuries he has had, maybe right now he can’t move the way a SS needs to move. He hasn’t played totally healthy in a while. Maybe he will never be 100% again, but if he does help this team score runs and win, he will do it as a SS. If he is willing to work on his defense, he could play 3rd base and continue to hit for 3 more years. Seager is 2 years out and Uribe is repeated hammy’s waiting to happen. I could see Ramirez finishing his career as a corner infielder. Having said all that, even if Ramirez does light it up, I make the qualifying offer and let him walk.

Maybe his curve ball won’t bite at 5,000′. Perhaps neither he, nor Lee, can pitch when they’re high. They need a new joint. Then they can light it up. I’m going to bed.

12. BOB says:

Magill – Needs athleticism, endurance, a more stable platform (stronger feet, ankles and calves), and significantly more flexible shoulders. If he spent the months of November and December in Southern Orange County this off season he would be a new athlete. Yes, I know a guy! The guy I know can fix most if not all of Magill’s on the field athletic performance problems. His Top 20 prospect summary says that he can touch 94. Magill might even show up at spring training next year throwing 97-98 with accuracy. I bet my friend might even consider doing the work on a contingent fee basis just to prove that this type of change could be done for a 24 year old pitcher. A certain current MLB batting instructor has sent a few high school players to my friend’s gym. Like I said before he recently put 5 mph on a 17 year old’s pitch in 2 months and, that last that I heard, the kid is a top 40 finalist for the US Junior National Team. My friend’s name is slowly being talked about by several professional sports teams in different professional sports. Professional athletes are Under Siege by poor training and nutrition so it is time to Let the sports training and rehabilitation revolution begin.

13. BOB says:

So, 4 Dodgers picked for AFL. Seeing the name of the one 25 year old pitcher chosen, Thomas???, says all that I need to know about the Dodger pitching prospects and the Dodger player development team.

Doesn’t tell me anything about the Dodgers pitching prospects or player development team. Looking at Thomas’ stats tells me that this is a lefthander with excellent stuff, about 11.5 K/9, and control problems, just under 6.5 BB/9. And some of the Dodgers prospects (e.g., Frias and Baez) will probably play winter ball in Latin America. Maybe even Lee will pitch somewhere this winter, or maybe the Dodgers prefer he spend his time doing something else. We jump to too many conclusions around here with very limited information. I am of the opinion that the Dodgers are building an excellent player development program, and I prefer to trust their judgment.

And then there’s this.

So apparently, the AFL rosters aren’t finalized yet, and additional players will likely be added. Fact is, they don’t start playing until Ocotber7th.

Click Here to Leave a Reply