I watched most of Friday nights game, and I checked in a lot during last night’s game and then watched the condensed game this morning.  Football has started  here in Indiana and my son had a game Friday night (as a Sophomore, he’s a sub on Varsity) and Saturday Morning (he is the starting tight end and inside linebacker on the JV).  That keeps me busy on Friday and Saturday.  Then we went to the Colts game last night compliments of UPS.

• Parking:  $25

• Beer:  Free

• Food:  Free

• Spending $50K a month with UPS:  Suite!

My son’s varsity team was behind 28-14 in the Forth Quarter but came back to win 41-40.  They play their home games at Marian University’s Field (it’s today’s photo) so it’s almost a College Atmosphere.  They won in OT – what a great game!  His JV team lost yesterday (20-12), but he had a beautiful run and catch up the middle for 32 yards.  Now as for the Colts… well they looked like they weren’t interested.  Yawn!  Based upon my observations, Andrew Luck is 3rd on the depth chart.  <smile>

But I digress…

Sunday Rants and Raves

• I know Zach Greinke went 7, but he did not look normal.  I will be holding my breath when he takes the mound again (which my explain my brain damage from oxygen deprivation).
  • Adrian Gonzalez is getting his mojo back at just the right time.
  • Dan Haren’s next start – Will it be Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde?
  • I like Arrrr at SS.  I like him a lot.  I think he will hit enough to hold the position.  He has to work on his swing.  He’s not a HR hitter and needs to come to grips with with that.
  • Russ Martin needs to come home next year and finish his career with the Dodgers.   How about 4 Years (yes I said 4) at $48 million?   Of course, if he costs a pick, I might not do it.
  • Joc Pederson’s 30/30 means little to me considering where he did it.  The 30 stolen bases are the most impressive.
  • My Predictions for September Call-Ups:
    • Alex Guerrero
    • Joc Pederson (can see them dumping Triunfel to create a spot)
    • Yimi Garcia
    • Matt Magill
    • Jose Dominguez
    • Tim FedEx (I can’t spell Federowicz)
  • Seager Watch:  3-5 yesterday – he moved up a level and is hitting even better as he gains knowledge and confidence.  He has to be considered to be a prospect to make the team as soon as NEXT season, however, I would believe he will start at OKC just to see what he can do there.
  • By the way, other than moving to Indy, OKC is an excellent choice.  Dropping 4,000 feet in elevation will give a more realistic view of hitters and not kill the pitchers.  I can’t see any reason why Dodger insiders don’t buy the team.  Now the Dodgers have a REAL AAA team.
  • They are also looking to move AA from Chattanooga too.
  • Urias Watch: 5.1 IP, 2 Hits, 0 Runs, 3 BB, 9 K’s).  He will start at AA next year, with a promo to OKC by Mid-Season (that’s my prediction).
  • It’s a shame what’s happening in some of the most beautiful country in the USA – Napa and Sonoma.  Godspeed!  Oh, and save the grapes!  I hope our Favorite Winery and Favorite Restaurant are  OK!

labor-day-sale-2UPDATE (PRESS RELEASE):

DODGERS REINSTATE HANLEY RAMIREZ FROM THE DL, OPTION ERISBEL ARRUEBARRENA TO RANCHO CUCAMONGA

LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today reinstated infielder Hanley Ramirez from the 15-day disabled list (right oblique strain) and optioned infielder Erisbel Arruebarrena to Single-A Rancho Cucamonga.

Ramirez last appeared in a game on Aug. 8 at Milwaukee, drawing a walk in his only plate appearance, and is batting .277 with 12 home runs and 58 RBI in 100 games. Prior to his injury, Ramirez was batting .333 (10-for-30) with two doubles, a homer and six RBI in eight August games and has hit .293 (44-for-15) with a .402 on-base percentage in 47 games since the beginning of June. Overall, Ramirez is hitting .294 with runners in scoring position this season (32-for-109).

Arruebarrena has batted .250 with four RBI in 12 games during three stints with the Dodgers this season.

Why RC?

1. He has been baaaaadddddd….
  2. They want his close for a re-call.

Which is it?

Am very familiar with both those places. Good choices. I talked with friends in Napa already this morning. A lot of damage but grapes are fine.

Greinke would have been clobbered by a better offense. Mets suck. 105 pitches a good sign. I hope.

Agree about Arrie’s swing. Shorten up. I wonder if he listens.

Colts going nowhere. Get used to it.

Oklahoma? Still not convinced, but surely better than a mile high in Gnu Meksico.

Depending on how he looks today (other than old and grossly out of shape) I’m thinking Colon ends up in SoCal. And not with the Dodgers.

• Mark TImmons says:

In case you haven’t checked, the Colts were 11-5 each of the past two years and they are better offensively than they have ever been. Yes I said EVER! They have the best WR talent in the league (and are very deep at WR) and have two excellent TE’s. Remember this name: RB Daniel “Boom” Herron. The Defense is improved, but there are a lot of IF’s including Robert Mathis’ 4 game suspension. They are picked by most to be the #3 seed in the AFC behind Denver and NE. USA Today picks them to go 13-3. They are a bunch of overachievers who got a lot better over the off season. I wouldn’t dismiss them.

“I wouldn’t dismiss them.” Mark Timmons – Head Water Boy – Indiana Sycophant – 1%er who drops $100 bills like quarters at the Rutherford Grill.

I already have. AFC Broncos. Patriots. Steelers. Colts. NFC Ospreys. Packers. Saints. Whiners.

You heard it here first.

• Gonzo says:

Sorry big guy but the best starting receiving talent in tithe league belongs to the Bears. T.Y. and Reggie are very good but if you ask A. luck who’d he rather have have between Marshall/Jeffrey or T.Y./Reggie he’d choose the first two.

I’ll also continue to hold my breath with Greinke. He got some big outs at the end, so I am cautiously (very cautiously) optimistic. Only time will tell.

I also like Arrue at short, and think that he will hit enough to hold the position. Some of his at bats have looked very promising, and others no so. Hopefully he gets it refined over time, or just gets better as he gets more playing time, and has a chance to get comfortable. I agree that he’s not a HR hitter, but also believe that he actually has some power. If memory serves, I believe he hit as many as 12 in a year in Cuba, and he’s not a little guy, being listed at 6’0″, 200 lb. He just shouldn’t be going up to the plate trying to hit them. But he’s probably going to hit some by accident.

I wouldn’t I’d sign Russell Martin for 4 years, and maybe not even 1 year. Who will we be getting? The Russell Martin who’s hitting .285 this year in ONLY 82 games (why so few?), or the Russell Martin who hit .237 in 2011, .211 in 2012, and .226 in 2013. Martin will be 32 in 2015, which while not old, old, is still not an age where I want to make a huge commitment. It would obviously cost something, but I’d prefer to explore the trade market, and any other avenues where a catcher can be obtained.

I can agree with those September call-ups, and I thought of (didn’t mention) Triunfel this morning when I posted something in the previous thread about the Pederson call-up, and thought about the 40 man roster. I noticed that you didn’t include Lee in your call-ups, and I tend to agree. First off, the Dodgers may not want to drop anyone else from the 40-man roster to make room for him, and secondly he hasn’t shown all that much this season (ALBQ. conditions notwithstanding) to warrant a call. As I noted in my post at the end of the previous thread, “it may well be that the Dodgers want to avoid moving some players off [the 40-man roster] because they still see them as having potential, or perhaps because they could even be used in a potential trade.”

As for Urias, I suspect the Dodgers are being very careful with him, and will continue to do so next year, when he begins the season at only 18 years of age. I suspect that he might begin next year at Rancho, and might possibly move up to AA later in the season. And certainly his innings limit will be increased.

Good chance that Seager will begin next season at OKC, especially if he’s sent to the AFL this offseason, and does well there. He might even play some winter ball in Latin America. He’d have to be doing extremely well, and Uribe would have to be doing very poorly for Seager to get call to LA before September next year. Unless, of course, you think that the Dodgers will have a need at short, and bring him up to play there. But if the Dodgers see Seager as the heir apparent at 3B, I think that this winter and next season would be a good time to get him full-time work at that position. And getting Seager experience playing 3B may in itself be a reason to delay his arrival to LA. In the end, the Dodgers will take into account every factor before making a decision.

One other thing that could get Seager to LA next season would be Uribe getting injured enough to keep him out of the lineup a long time (or even for the season). In that case, I suspect the Dodgers would fill-in with a player like Justin Turner (assuming he’s in LA next year) before considering a call-up of Seager. But anything is possible.

4. BOB says:

Dominquez would be nice but he might be done for the year with shoulder inflammation.

Pederson – His average is ok but his power is way down, his RBIs are down, his BBs are down, and his OBP, SLG and OPS are all down. His performance during the AFL will probably determine at what minor league level he begins next year. Of course his spring training performance just might amaze us all!

Urias – Looks like he might get to 100 innings this year. If he can stay clearly healthy 100 innings would be a great physcological achievement for him. Hope he starts at AA next year.

Russ Martin – That contract is only doable if it also includes a $100,000 fine for each HR that he hits in excess of 5 so that he stays the singles hitter that he has turned himself into this year. Martin is playing less this year because he is in the last year of his contract and the Pirates were trying to see if Sanchez was capable of replacing him next year. Sanchez played 1B at AAA this week. Now Diaz is their rising star. The Pirates have a number of good catchers in the minor league system and may not need Martin next year.

Arrrr should imitate Rod Carew during winter ball this off season and then come back to spring training with a shorter swing!

Mark – What’s the matter, do Indiana schools actually spend their money on teaching unlike Texas schools who spend their money on High School football stadiums?

Fife – Needs to be placed on the 60-Day DL to open up one spot on the 40 man before Truant goes is DFA’d.

Haren – I predict the Dodgers figure out a way to skip one of his starts after a bad outing in order to not let his option vest. Or their is always the last start of the year where the Dodgers traditionally limit the innings of every starting pitcher and let some of the AAA call ups pitch.

5. BOB says:

I see that even the fattest kid on the American Little League World Series team can slide better than most of the Dodgers.

Glad to see Frias getting used to the Majors.

Maybe Ned can make a trade for Colom today and when the Mets Manager goes out to the mound to take him out of the game he also tells him that he has been traded and Colon goes to the Dodger dugout!

He was better than Corriea – today.

This is one of those butt ugly games. Puig giving mutz fans something to talk about. Leave it to him to do something moronic on the basepaths. I’m hoping the Hanley I’m seeing today is not the same one I’ll be seeing in September.

• artieboy says:

I give Rick Monday props for not losing it when Puig made that mistake. He really wanted to tear into Puig. Wound not have mattered today. But still major league prices for little league baseball?

I was just thinking that artie. Some people paid a few hundred hard earned dollars to go to that game. It could be the only game they get to see and THAT is how Dodgers entertain? Stuff happens. But this looked mailed in early to me.

6. Bruce says:

My question is, realistically, how far into the playoffs does this team go? A WS win is the goal, can this team even get there? As CK said it is WS or bust. Presently the starting rotation, the strength of the team for most of the year is something less than strong. After CK there are no real guarantees, while previously Grenkie and Ryu were close to that. HR is back, but at what cost defensively? The BP is far from being a strength, actually an true adventure every outing. Hitting with runners on base is surely a study in ineptitude. Why does this team fail even with simple sacrifice plays to get a runner in scoring position? At other times they look like world beaters??? Which one are they? Not sure about this Dodger team. I would love to be surprised, but my non-expert eyes see too many holes that other teams can exploit.

• Campy says:

I recognize that we do have some serious holes in our lineup, but look at the other teams, and who doesn’t. In fact, we probably have 1) fewer holes than most teams 2) better players at the positions that we would consider strengths. Every team has been hit by injuries to key players. We aren’t the only ones, it’s just that we started off with a stronger lineup than most, so we have been able to fight through them better. There doesn’t seem to be any team that is clearly better than the others and it looks like whomever is hot at the end is going to go all the way. Seems to me to be weaker lineups top to bottom than most years, and a lot of teams that really stink.

Badger, I was thinking the same things about Hanley. Interesting thing about baseball, is that if you don’t open the door for the opposition like Hanley did a couple of times, then it changes the entire complexion of the game. And that’s why defense is so very important. And it’s not just the errors. It’s all the ground ball that Hanley doesn’t get to that Arrue does.

I don’t read anything into Arrue going to Rancho. Maybe the Dodgers are about to promote Seager to ALBQ. to play shortstop.

I’d sure rather have Colon starting for the Dodgers than Correia.

Maybe it’s just because I like Frias, but I think he had a lot of bad luck in that 3-run inning. Except for the last hit he gave up to d’Arnaud, all the other hits were routine ground balls that found holes. In fact, I believe one hit was against a drawn in infield, and another when Gordon vacated his position to cover 2B (can’t remember for sure, but it might have been a hit and run). In any case, I think he’s someone to look at seriously next spring for a role in the pen or the rotation, i.e., assuming he’s not traded over the winter.

• Michael says:

The thing is, these players are not punished for their mistakes. Puig should’ve been yanked and exiled to the end of the bench to ponder his choices.

” The inmates are running the asylum “

Legit concerns.

We need Hanley, Kemp, Uribe, Gonzalez, Gordon, heck we need everybody playing at least close to their potential. We dont need everyone to have a career 8 weeks, but we need Puig to get his head out of his ass and we need Hanley and Kemp to hit. If those three things don’t happen we don’t go to a World Series. There are too many outs in this lineup to have 3/4 of the middle of our lineup not contributing.

In that one inning Ramirez first missed a grounder when he dove and it bounced off his glove. Arrie handles that one easy without leaving his feet. If Hanley isn’t thumping he is worse than worthless, he is a glaring liability.

We are still the best team in the West. But games like this do expose our weaknesses.

• BOB says:

Since the game was not played in NM it can’t be Reed’s fault or Logan’s fault or God forbid Watson’s fault. It must have been the weather and the fans might have been singing –

“OOOOk-lahoma, where the wind comes sweepin’ down the plain, And the wavin’ wheat can sure smell sweet, When the wind comes right behind the rain”

Yes the wind blows like Wrigley Field very often in that part of the world.

Reed is 24 years old and has been a “top prospect” for about 3 years now. I read somewhere he needs a second out pitch. A Kershaw slider might work for him. btw, has the clock been started on him? A first round pick that pitched at Stanford. He should be ready, don’t you think?

9. Pete M says:

WS or bust??? I think not… This new group has brought us new heights in the last two years… Maybe last year with a healthy Hanley and Kershaw pitching like he should and WHO KNOWS…. Read what Badger and I have said all along, we have the horses… But there is this one damnable intangible, which is health… We lose out in the NLCS, it’s back to the the drawing board… An infusion of youth in the field and the pen, cherry pick a FA or like Martin (don’t give up pick), Kersh, Zack and Ryu and a new manager named Wallach and lets get to ST and get it on… Dodgers a bust, I think not…

I’m trying to remember, but has Reed spent his career so far with the Dodgers just as a starter, or has he also spent time in the pen, which is where he pitched at Stanford? Maybe he needs to be doing one thing consistently, or if he’s just been starting, maybe the Dodgers should think about returning him to the pen. Some pitchers are best suited for short stints. Maybe that’s his best role. Besides, the Dodgers could use another lefty in the pen.

Agree with everything Badger said above regarding his “legit concerns”.

Six days until the close of the waiver deadline. From what I saw yesterday, Bartolo Colon would slot nicely at the back end of our rotation. Can’t imagine that it would take a whole lot to acquire him, given his $11 million salary next year. I would think the Mets could make good use of that money.

By the way Badger, I would suggest “mutts” instead of “mutz” (SMILE!!!). I’ve been calling them that for years.

Mutts it is I got an old softball buddy from 70′s that is a lifetime mutts fan. We’ve had a standing 50 push-up bet per game over the decades. Not this year. He’s too disgusted with his team. He doesn’t believe anymore. Gotta feel for all those fans whose teams don’t have a snowballs chance.

Then there is us. We have the horses but half the time they are in the barn with laminitis or colic or ….. whatever. The Los Angeles Maladies. I’m with those who say ride this mule to the finish line and if it doesn’t result in a World Series? Punt. Yeah I know. Mixing metaphors. You’ll have to excuse me. Been watching every Dodger game and I think I’ve contracted an abscess of my thought processor.

After we turn the roster…… how about a rotation of Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, Scherzer, Latos and or Shields and Lester? There I am abscessing again.

Click Here to Leave a Reply