Ozzie_choke

… with runners in scoring position.  That has been the Dodgers dilemma for a few seasons.  The Braves only scored 3 runs on 8 hits and two walks, while Dodgers squandered 11 hits and 4 walks while they scored only two runs.  To say it is pathetic to fail to produce in 21 opportunities to drive in runners would be sugar-coating the reality of the situation.  As a team, the Dodgers suck and choke when the game is on the line.  There, I said it, and if you disagree then you are not getting the Dodger games on TV, because your eyes will convict them.  They are sad bunch with runners in scoring position and the bases loaded.  As a team they are dead last in Major League Baseball with the bases loaded.  That’s not a team that will win a World Series!

When Matt Kemp came to bat in the ninth with the bases-loaded, all he had to do was hit a fly ball to plate a run ( The Dodgers had Darwin Barney on the bench last night.  It seems to me that when you are down one run, you would put him in to run for Ethier.  That could have made a difference, but I digress!), it’s that simple.  No excuses!  “It’s Craig Kimbrel!”  No excuse – you just do it if you are not a choke artist!  This team has had issues with this for years.  What’s the constant?  Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp!  That’s all I have to say about it.

I haven’t looked up the stat, but someone said the Dodgers were like 0-43 when trailing after 7 innings.  Maybe some with some more time than me can look it up.  This kind of lack of production will bite the Dodgers in the playoffs!  It is very disappointing.

Rants & Raves

• Carl Crawford has been playing like a man possessed, but, I just fear that every at bat is his last due to the next injury – call me crazy.  Why would I think such a thing?
  • Joc Pederson continues to hone his bad habit of a huge uppercut swing at Albuquerque.   He hit #28 last night.  It’s felony stupid to leave him there!
  • Another TJ – Stephen Fife!  Now we know what was wrong with him.
  • Alex Guerrero played SS last night!
  • So did Corey Seager who went 2-4 with 2 RBI’s.
  • Darnell Sweeney committed his 32ed error last night with his cast-iron glove.
  • Julio Urias – 5 IP, 1 Run, 1 BB, 9 K’s.  ERA now 2.86.  He might could see a couple of weeks at AA?
  • Hopefully, Ryu isn’t injured badly, but I would not be surprised to see him miss a start or two.  Let it heal and the fat boy needs the rest anyway.  I might consider the DL just for rest purposes!
  • Fausto goes again today – early!

100-Off-RO

1. Pete M says:

Rather than immerse myself in the pending dribel, I’ll change gears quick… Wifey gave me a pass last night and I ran over to Rancho C. LoA and caught Julio’s 18th bday and a commanding pitching performance… What impresses me the most is his composure for a young kid… We may have something very special in this kid and they are being very cautious with his pitch counts… As a matter of fact, he reminds me of a kid we had bopping around Jacksonville in 2007-8 named Clayton… With the dog days upon us, Gordon needs a blow for a couple games… Ryu is a warrior and will be back soon…

Mark, I heard that comment last night as well . . .

” . . . someone said the Dodgers were like 0-43 when trailing after 7 innings . . . ”

And when it has been that long, 0-43, it is no long CHOAKING, but just not good hitters. Period. That needs to change over the winter. I believe the Dodgers need to bring in a new bat of a polished hitter that can lead the way.

3. BOB says:

The Dodgers need to have some kind of random generating decision machine in the dugout instead of a bubble machine. This random generating decision machine would tell Donnie when to allow the Dodger batter the choice to swing at the first pitch thus eliminating the 99.99% probability that the Dodger batter will not swing at the first pitch, resulting in him having an 0-1 count 70% of the time, increasing his stress level, and the resulting failure rate.

Yesterday was a bad and unfortunately game that I am glad that I missed. Today is another day. Go win one in 3 hours 22 minutes and get out of town before our lunch hour is over.

Should the Dodgers claim another starter that is on waiver? “Never can have too many starters” Ned 2012?

4. BOB says:

Now is the time for the Dodger hitters to man up and face the competition. The next four starters, none of which are cold, that they will face have the following ERAs for their last 3 games 3.32; 3.15; 2.50; and 2.75. Fortune cookie says “Big battles looming ahead”. Time for a new approach at the plate. Shorter swings, hit to all fields, and by all means periodically swing at the first pitch.

5. idahoal says:

How about bringing in Pederson as the new hitter. We need to dump Crawford, Ethier, Ramirez, and Perez for next year. I still am very happy that Ned did not trade away the three young players. Bring up Arruebarrena as your ss, and you are set with your position players, I love AJ, but he has to hit better, or we need a catcher. Although I would talk to the pitchers. The two new pitchers who just came, think AJ is great. Both of them thought AJ called a great game.

Let Hernandez, Haren and Correia audition for the 4 and 5 starting positions.

Keep SVS, Guerrero, Turner, and Barney for your bench.

Make a few changes to your bull pen and you are set.

Bring up Seager and Urias the following year.

Results don’t lie. The evidence says Mark is right. The Dodgers, with all their talent, are horses that prefer to run in the lead. Bases loaded one out in the 9th with your cleanup guy at bat is the best possible scenario for any team. Kemp got his pitch and did the right thing – he tried to drive it to right center. He missed. He has failed in this situation 8 times in a row. He has failed in this situation every time he has faced it this year.

Missing with the bases loaded is what this team, to this point in the season, has done with alarming frequency. What to about it? As a coach I would advise Kemp (and everybody else) stop whining at the umpire and move in. Your last at bat? The teams record from the 7th inning on? Your stats with the bases loaded? FORGET IT. That is history! It means NOTHING! The good news is, we are getting men on! Take each at bat individually. It’s possible this trend is in their heads. Remember, whether you believe you can, or believe you can’t, you are right! Visualize success! Say this – I DO NOT FEAR HITTING WITH RUNNERS IN SCORING POSITION! I WANT TO HIT WITH RUNNERS ON! I WILL get a good pitch and I WILL hit a line drive. Say it again. And again. Repeat that a hundred times every day. It worked for me and it worked for my players. Yesterday is done. It’s about TODAY! We are in first place and we deserve to be there. The reason we are in first place is because we do what we do better than anyone else. Believe it! Look at the f$&%ing standings! Let’s just keep doing what we do, show discipline at the plate, trust your hands and these trends will turn in our favor!!

F@&k yesterday. Win today!

7. Quasimodo says:

I could easily cross the street and be part of the gang here after the game with my worthless 2 cents, but it’d be rude not tipping a beer there. So I’ll still likely make some even less the worthless 2 cents. I’m in a pretty good mood!

8. bobbie17 says:

Just keep hoping the Giants keep losing. That is our best hope. We don’t want to see this team in a must win situation. Too many inconsistent hitters. It is developing into a pitching team, with frustrating hitters. I’ll take a pitching team any day. The bullpen is starting to come around, a little like last year. It looks like we will need the bullpen to be stout. Believe me, the A’s pen is, and the best bullpen will probably win it all.

Ethier with 2 great at bats and nothing to show for them. Just keep at and they will find holes eventually.

Tip a few NA’s Quas.

This team clicks so much better with Gordon getting on.

And Ethier with a drive to the fence…. and another out. The man can’t get a break.

Another good start for Hernandez.

Korean team at LLWS looks like a Babe Ruth League team.

10. Watford Dodger says:

I know we’ve covered this before – but why, when Wilson so obviously had nothing working, velocity, location, movement, didn’t Donnie react sooner? We could all see what we coming. And it did. Why not do what the good managers do and be proactive. Get on the phone, get out to the mound, slow it down. What did Donnie do? Sweet FA. All being said, great road trip.

11. BOB says:

Gutty starting pitching today by Hernandez. Did not have his best command and still achieved a good result. 10 singles and 2 XBH. Good approach today. Recent power coming from the catchers!

Wilson should not come into a game after the 7th inning, There should be another reliever warming up as soon as Wilson lets one guy get on base and he should be pulled after 2 guys reach base. Donnie does not seem to be able to learn anything regarding the bullpen.

1st NL team to 70 wins! Go Phillies, for a few games. Good pitching matchups in the Phils/giant series.

So off to battle the Brewers whose starting pitching is very Hot! Should be a battle worth watching, or even listening to.

Unless the Dodgers want to eat some money, looks like Wilson is back again next year. He has $8.5 million player option, that can go up to $10 million based on appearances.

I seriously doubt if Urias is going to see a couple of weeks of AA. He pitched 54 innings last year, and has thrown 72 this year. It’s pretty clear that the Dodgers are being extremely cautious with him, since he just turned 18. I could see him moving up to AA next year, and not necessarily to start the season. I expect he will still be on a leash next year, just a longer one. My guess is that he will break 100 innings next year, but probably not by a lot. In 2007 at the age of 19 Kershaw threw a total of 122 innings combined for Great Lakes and Jacksonville. But Kershaw began that season at age 19, since his birthday is in March. Urias will not turn 19 until next August. I suspect that Urias could make his big league debut sometime in 2016 (not a certainty), but will still be limited next year in what he’s allowed to do. Wouldn’t surprise me if he opens 2015 at Rancho, and moves up to Chattanooga later in the season, if the Dodgers think it’s merited.

A runner for Ethier probably would have been a good idea. But I’m not sure it would have made a difference. I believe you’re referring the hit by Gonzalez that only got one runner home. That ball was hit pretty hard directly at the left fielder. Ethier would have been thrown out by a mile, and Barney might well have been thrown out as well, just by less. And I think the fact that it was Kimbel makes a difference, and I believe that Kemp hit the ball pretty hard, which is why it became a tailor made double play. In fact, the Dodgers had a little bad luck in that inning. If Gonzalez’s hit wasn’t directly at the left fielder it would have tied the game, and the ball Kemp hit just needed better eyes to find a hole. But that said, there is no doubt that the Dodgers are not a very good situational hitting team.

Both these posts are excellent Brooklyn. I had forgotten about Wilson’s second year. Maybe he can take some time off and work on his strength. He’s been nibbling because he doesn’t believe in his stuff anymore. Good point about the bad breaks. I already pointed out that Kemp did what he was supposed to do – he just missed the pitch by 1/2 inch. Stay focused Matt. You will get your opportunities.

Click Here to Leave a Reply