There’s a really short answer to any questions about Carl Crawford and his ability to stay on the field: “We hope so.”  Right now CC, looks better than at any other time as a Dodger.  He looks like a middle-of-the-order hitter… shoot, I can see him hitting #3 in certain situations.  The man is playing like he is possessed – let’s hope he can keep it up…. and keep healthy.  I don’t want to jinx him, so that’s all I will say.  I have never been a fan of The Trade, but if he can keep playing like this, he should be a huge asset!

Rants & Raves

• Kevin Correia bounced back after a bad first inning to pitch a credible game.  It wasn’t a quality start, but what can you expect from your #7?
  • Donnie, if you use Jamey Wright every 3 or 4 days, he will help you.  Use him too much and he will hurt you.  Write it down!
  • Arr (I can’t spell Arruebarrena) should play every inning at SS the rest of the year.  Rojas is great defensively, but Arrrr is “otherworldly.”  Hanley?  I don’t know.
  • Justin Turner continues to be one of Ned’s best acquisitions.
  • Brandon may be getting out of his League.
  • Chris Reed’s AAA ERA is now nearing 13.00!  Lord have mercy on his soul!
  • FedEx needs another big time shot in September – the way he has been hitting.
  • Corey Seager = .363 BA and 1.016 OPS – he also has 45 doubles and 24 stolen bases.  The Dodgers can’t keep him down past early next season.  Maybe he gets a September “Look – See.”
  • As much as I hate to say it, Zach Greinke needs to go on the DL retroactive to his last start.  Nip this thing in the bud, because if the Dodgers have any post-season hope, Greinke has to be healthy!  DL him now and call up anyone.  Tell Lee and Frias they can split a game – 4 innings each!  Don’t mess with Zach’s arm!

slider-new

Chris Reed was credible before his promotion to Albaquaqy. We should stop ruining pitchers going there and just skip that place straight on up here. Pitching and hitting there is like playing on the Moon.

Staying on the field has always been the issue. We have to keep in mind that by today’s metrics each WAR point is worth 7 million. That has gone up every year. I keep saying this and I do because it’s true, if Crawford and Ethier can stay on the field for 600+ at bats they EARN their money. And being a good hitter is easier to do the better your lineup is. Crawford (I still like him in the 2 hole behind Gordon) followed by Ramirez, Gonzalez, Kemp, Puig and Uribe – all those guys, except the guy in front of Ellis, will get get good pitches to hit. You can’t pitch around the top of our lineup – when everyone is there and not banged up. The key to the Dodgers winning is the same today as it was in April – health.

Crawford is a .291 career hitter. At age 33 he might not do that, but he obviously can still run so .275 should be doable for him. In this lineup, I’ll take that.

A three run lead with your closer coming in should be safe against a weak hitting team like the Padres. I get the defensive interference dislike, but the theory is – focus on the hitter. Kenley did not look sharp. We got a break. But, it’s our turn for some breaks.

Cubs 2 midgets 0 – final in 5. I like that.

I sure wish Rojas could hit. He and Arrue on the left side late will eat up a lot of grounders. That would give our relievers some confidence to just go ahead and throw strikes.

Correia and Wright look like the same pitcher to me.

I would give Grejnke a few extra days. He will insist on going out there. I would insist he go to the beach and swim in the ocean. The ocean water is about the best therapy there is for aches and pains.

3. idahoal says:

I agree with you Mark and Michael. All of our good pitchers should stay at AA. Greinke should go on the DL, and protect him for the play off. Good offense last night. Our defense looks so much better with Arruebarrena at SS. Perez is coming back soon. I wonder who they will send down, Baez or Frias. I hope they wait until Sept. 1st. We really have some dead weight in our bull pen?

4. Watford Dodger says:

Agree with all of you, especially Badger’s point about batting Crawford 2nd. Loved the Giants result too – only 5 innings. Great.
    Grienke is a problem. Surely the elbow can’t be too bad if he’s still pitching at all? He would have been shut down immediately? He’s too valuable financially and to the team’s post season aspirations.

If I had to bet, I bet Greinke pitches. Maybe I should bet. I’m a terrible gambler. But ‘cept when I bet Mark. I win all those 500 push-up bets with him. He still owes me about 2,000 from the Bush era.

So who wants to bet? 50 push-ups says Greinke does not miss his start. That’s tomorrow.

With a really large lead, defensive indifference is fine. With a 4 run lead like last night it gives the other team a chance to inch back into the game. I’d much rather go into the 9th inning with a 4 run lead as opposed to a 3 run lead. I don’t recall how many outs there were when the runner took second last night, but in cases where there is less than 2 out you not only allow the runner to advance into scoring position, but you also take away the double play. And no matter how many outs, you also eliminate the force at 2B. I’ll take my chances with the pitcher having to pay some attention to the runner.

I have no problem with Crawford hitting second, but I’m also OK with Puig. I think Mattingly is trying alternate the right and left handed hitters, and probably doesn’t want the top of his order being left-left.

Actually, I think the Dodgers have traditionally kept their best young pitchers out of ALBQ. as long as possible. In the case of Lee he spent about a year and half at Chattanooga, so the the Dodgers probably felt he had to be moved up. The only pitchers that seem to be able to handle ALBQ. are fireballers, who depend less on their breaking stuff. That’s probably the major reason why I was skeptical about Lee pitching in the PCL. And this is not just about the Dodgers. As bad as ALBQ. is, there are other places nearly as bad, e.g., Colorado Springs. And why would an eastern team like the Mets have their AAA affiliate in Las Vegas?

If he needs it, Greinke should definitely be shut down for a while.

Vin Scully really likes Arrrrr at SS. He could not stop talking about his smoothness at that position. Translation: Hanley does not have that smoothness in him (any more). Go with this guy.

If the Padres would have won the game last night — I was ready to predict they would make the post season. If they would have won, that would have put the Padres only — 9 1/2 games behind. The Padres and Dodgers have 8 more games together. Padres have 10 more games with the D-Backs.

Why would I say this? The Dodgers pitching might be following apart, especially if Greinke has health problems and Ryu is out now and the rest of the so called starters need bandaids much of the time to keep them in for 5 innings.

Also, the Padres have some of the best pitching in baseball and a solid manager.

I think the league has a career stolen base % of about 90% off Kenley. It’s better this year, probably because Donnie told him to forget the runner and focus on your pitches. I’m guessing of course, but Jansen is really slow to the plate so, unless that runner is the tying or go ahead run, that’s how I would approach it.

Falling apart is a bit strong isn’t it Roger? Showing some cracks, yes, but we are still pretty good.

• Roger Dodger says:

Badger, before last night, for August the Dodgers were 8 – 9. Just below treading water. The Padres have given the Dodgers fits for years now. Hanley is almost a non-factor. Puig is really not hitting the ball hard nor far. AGon does seem to be waking up a bit, Crawford does have some renewed life in him. But hot teams have been flowing through the Dodgers of late.

Last night the guys came back after that first inning. That was class.

If I were a Giants fan, I would be really upset about that shortened game in Chicago last night.

That isn’t exactly what I meant. Kenley’s CS this year is better, 60%, but with large leads I’m guessing Donnie has told him to forget the runner. He’s gonna steal anyway. Maybe a token toss now and then but that’s it. Get the hitter out.

Good timing Roger – 11:18

We’ve had some bad games, that’s true. But it’s just a bad stretch. Donnie’s approach with that is the correct one. “I bless the past, let it go, and move swiftly into an exiting new phase of my life”. It is very important that his team take one game at a time

Pederson last night . . . the Isotopes had 16 hits, but Pederson did not have any. He was 0-3 with 3 walks and 2 Ks.

Mark is right on Reed. He gave up 9 hits in 4 innings and 7 runs. His ERA is now 12.71. And the game was in Albq.

10. artieboy says:

Last night MLB talked about Puig’s HR’s per at-bat being lower compared to last year (i.e. More at-bats to hit a HR). Maybe it’s because if hitting in the two spot? Though I don’t know how many times he has hit second this year.

11. BOB says:

Maybe part of the problem with pitching at AAA is the catcher? That being said bring up FedEx after Labor Day. Time to DL Greinke and bring up Lee for at least for two starts just to see how bad, or good, he really is. I am still lobbying for the split spring training type when one of the kids comes up. Lee and Frias should be able equal 8 innings together.

12. bobbie17 says:

Albuquerque ? is like New York. If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere. There seems to be a different approach with Lee and Reed. Let them suffer in 3A. I’m not sure why. Vegas (Mets) has a strong club and probably has some pitchers there. It works for the Mets, I guess. I think a couple of its 3Aers are in the bigs now, doing well. Trial by fire for Lee and Reed. I hope the coaches are good enough there so that these guys don’t lose all confidence whatsoever. I guess confidence is overrated for the Dodgers. I always thought it was important. Silly me. Giants won its protest. No loss for them yesterday. Go Cubs. This is really a makeshift team right now. To win any game with this lineup is almost a miracle. This is the circumstance when your minor league organization offers some help. A couple of relief pitchers and AB (Arrrrr) may help, and if they do, that is about all you can ask of the farm. I do think KFed should be given a shot at #1 catcher right now. He will never be hotter at the plate. Maybe he can’t catch??? Hang on everyone.

• BOB says:

Here is a list of the worst MLB pitchers with at least 100 innings pitched during this season. Lee might be able to pitch as well as half of them, some of whom are very well known players, and some who are on playoff contenders:

1. Nolasco MIM 5.99

10. Correira LAD 4.87

11. Wood CHC 4.86

12. Jimenez BAL 4.83

13. Huthison 4.81

14. Verlander 4.76

15. Stultz 4.64

Just bring up Lee and see what happens. For the price he is better than all of these guys.

I still don’t think we’re going to see Zach Lee this year. Based on his performance and the fact that he’s not on the 40-man indicate to me that the Dodgers will wait until November to place him on the 40-man. If anyone deserves a start it’s Carlos Frias. And I also think that we’re not going to see Pederson either, since he too doesn’t have to be on the 40-man until November.

Fedex is a good defensive catcher, and I believe at the very least is a better hitter than Butera. Then again, who isn’t a better hitter than Butera?

Good point. Why aren’t Lee and Reed on the 40 man instead of….. a couple other slugs.

Frias threw 41 pitches on the 17th. Magill and Patterson pitched recently. I have no clue. I’ve been watching the LLWS, so, any roster moves today?

Frias I guess. Nope, just heard it’s Kershaw.

Dodgers on now.

Just not sold on Puig as THE center fielder. That ball to somewhat right center — he ran over and then coasted the last few yards and let it bounce. I believe a GOOD center fielder would have dove for the ball, making the great catch. Do not know about lights and all. But he was to work on ball in front of him and charging to make the possible catch.

Maybe he is just a great right fielder.

Maybe the Paders will make the post season after all.

• BOB says:

That is because “Dr.” San Conte is a moron and as long as he is the main person in charge of medical services Kemp will never be the same. I doubt that he even understands what “Stretch Reflex” or “neurophysiological patterning” really means.

Greinke is resting 2 days? Moronic. DL him or have another TJ on your hands by the end of the season. If he could not figure out Jason Schmidt how can he figure out any other player?

“”I’m still throwing darts,” Conte says.”

Click Here to Leave a Reply