Most of the LA media has given Mark McGwire a pass on his recent comments about Jose Canseco, published by Mark Saxon of ESPNLA:

“It’s too late. I don’t care to ever speak to him again.  What he did was wrong.”

Well Mark, you were the liar and Jose told the truth.  What Canseco did was right, but done for the wrong reason.  He did it to make money, not do the right thing, even though it was the right thing.  You all know that I feel steroids should be legal, but they aren’t and McGwire was the liar.  Watch the video of Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith on the above link and see how they weigh in.F

But, Mark McGwire is bitter and being bitter is like drinking poison and thinking someone else will die.  Let it go Mark – it is eating you up.  By the way, I saw Mark McGwire up close back in the day and he was huge – I felt small around him.  Now, I am bigger than he is.  Wow!  What a difference and I am about 10 years older.  Anyway Big Mac needs to let it go – we all know that Canseco is a knucklehead.  Move on Mark – just don’t be bitter.

Dodger News

• Joc Pederson celebrated his 21st HR by making it a Grand Slam last night.  I had to go back to 1997 to find a successful major league player who lead Albuquerque in HR – Paul Konerko with 37.  Here are a few of the other guys who lead the Dukes or Isotopes in home runs: Joe Dillon, Jerry Sands, Dalls McPhearson, Chris Donnels and   Brent Cookson.   Shoot Hiram Bocachica hit 23 one year at Albuquerque!  So, for the most part, hitting a lot or HR there is meaningless.  Billy Ashley was awesome there.  Maybe the Dodgers feel Joc will be exposed at the major league level so they are leaving him there to jack up his trade value.   That’s the only reason to keep him there.
  • Darnell Sweeney committed 3 Errors in CF last night – he now has 29!  Ouch!
  • Alex Guerrero continues to smoke minor league pitching – he had a double and triple last night while playing 3B at RC.  Trade bait too?
  • Dan Haren will allegedly be skipped in the rotation for his next start.

Photo Credit: Mark J. Terrill/AP Photo

Christmas in july

Joc Pederson does not come up to the Dodgers until they get rid of an outfielder or two.

The pitching is not that problem or concern — just cut some and bring up others . . . or trade and cut.

Kemp — 8 years is enough. The guy just is not good at hitting a baseball. Gee, he looks ready, seems ready — and most of the time either swings and misses or just looks at called strikes.

This teams needs to put their playing in higher gear . . . and play as champions or re-build the entire team in some ways.

Going down the stretch, say the last two weeks or the season — right now the Dodgers have the big three K – G – R. The other three starters: Beckett, Haren and sometimes Maholm have proved that they are not what is needed to count on for that stretch drive. Slice and dice them — they are nice starters, but not on this team, now.

Two new starters are needed. Maybe one in a trade and one from the minors.

And the the team needs Arrrrr and Guerrero as soon as possible.

There have been numerous great Dodgers hitters come out of Albuquerque. That list is long. Hitters hit. If Joc is a hitter, he will be fine at the next level. I see him as a 20-25 HR guy. He also has value in the field.

Kemp is going to be back next year? Heard that before. We could sure use him this year. Trade him? Whatever. We won’t get much for a broken expensive player whose best years are behind him. Maybe whatever we get we use for a great pitcher at the deadline.

We could trade Urias and maybe get him back before he pitches in the Majors. He’s that young.

3. the truth hurts says:

Your right Badger, Kemp gets no value….either does Ethier or Crawford. Terrible numbers for prima donnas.

These next couple of weeks can make or break us- San Fran, Atlanta, Anaheim, Milwaukee, Atlanta again, I really hope we play well or we could play our way out of this season.

Man up Dodgers, show us something.

4. Quasimodo says:

I think I’ll have to tip a few beers tonight. Puig in center! Yeah, seen it before and this time he’ll have had both his ears full to be aware of walls as part of AT&T is made of bricks. (stupid!, eh?) About the title of Mark’s post, well, while there should have been a different truth, Canseco is a ‘rat’, a ‘snitch’- ultimately a ‘traitor’! I have far less respect for Canseco than I do for McGwire. If Canseco was feeling guilty he should of only exposed himself. He sensationalized the truth for profit. The Rosenbergs were put to death for sharing the truth and that story has its holes. Martha Stewart is one of my heroes. She’s proved to have more backbone than the modern mobster.

Oh, I thought you meant ” Spit out that poison Big Mac ”

Recall Goose Gossage, when he played for Ray Kroc saying we shouldn’t poison our children with his employers fast food

Deja Vu

I just spent about 10 minutes writing a post, and before I could finish it my hand strayed, and I lost it. I hate when that happens.

I actually believe that another offseason could be all that Kemp needs, if only because, barring any further injury, he could spend the offseason concentrating on getting himself into playing shape rather than spending it rehabbing from another surgery. That said, I would trade him without hesitation if the opportunity came along. But I wouldn’t give him away. No doubt, what the Dodgers get in return will depend largely on how much of his contract they are willing to pick up. Same goes for Ethier and Crawford. If the Dodgers don’t replace any of their salaries with similar salaries, then the overall payroll could actually shrink, or there would be more flexibility to allocate resources elsewhere. It would also give the Dodgers the opportunity to begin to get younger and more athletic.

As for trading our top prospects, I have some difficulty in figuring out what is acceptable. And that’s because I haven’t seen Pederson, Urias, and Seager, except maybe very briefly in a couple of cases. Right now I only have what I read to go on, and that’s not easy for someone who doesn’t believe everything they read. I’d love to have Price, or Jon Lester, or any number of other pitchers (starters or relievers) that might be available. I’m just not sure exactly what I’d be willing to surrender. But still, I believe that one of the functions of a farm system is to supply players that can be used in deals. Whatever the case, I’m pretty certain that deals are coming, and that in a week this team could look very different, from players traded away, players acquired in deals, and through moves that bring up some players from the minors (the ones who aren’t traded). One thing I think is certain, the Dodgers can’t just sit still. And when the dust settles, we’ll need the players than remain to stay healthy.

7. idahoal says:

I agree that Pederson cannot come up until at least two of the present out fielders are shipped out. I just do not know how you will get rid of Either and Crawford. You almost have to give them away. Kemp has some value. This is the problem Ned put himself in.

The same is true with the bull pen. I doubt if any body wants some of our relievers. So how does Ned get rid of them. This next week will be very interesting. I can se Ned making a block buster trade and losing some of our good farm kids. Or, I could see Ned doing very little.

8. idahoal says:

I am afraid Ned will make a block buster trade and we will lose some of our good farm kids. I say this because I think Ned feels the pressure to do something and the only thing we have to trade are the kids. I hope I am wrong. I also hope Kasten will be involved.

You can rest assured that Kasten is involved.

I don’t see any problem in getting rid of the dead wood in our bullpen. None of it, I believe is very expensive, so at the very least those guys could just be DFA’d if there wasn’t any room for them. Brian Wilson is the only one who would cost significant dollars to just dump, since he has a player option for $8.5 – $9 million in 2015. But if push comes to shove, it’s not inconceivable that the Dodgers would just bite that bullet.

Time to beat the midgets.

Didn’t take long for the first blown strike 3 call. Ramirez hosed.

I see the midgets have their 80′s softball jerseys on tonight.

Just posted that on the dead thread.

Yeah, Kasten has final say.

• Quasimodo says:

A.J.is not going anywhere and nor should he. While his stats aren’t reflecting any great value its because he is a very unselfish team mate. Our pitchers are more cock-sure with him as a backstop and there is where stats would be harmed-not his, but the pitchers. I hope A.J. remains. Well friends, had live music and thus the price of the beer was a little more, but it was well worth it as we got to see more than one thing to substantiate this is a good team. Mattingly looks pretty sharp, eh? Cheers!

Score one for Vin. Or is that score two. Now we know why they call it triples-alley in AT&T.

Good to see Kemp get into one. That was probably out in Dodger Stadium.

And yeah, the umps are definitely getting worse.

Heads up play by Gordon. He knew he couldn’t get the hitter if he tagged the runner, but was also perceptive enough to know that Agon could get the runner, who clearly didn’t realize he had been tagged by Gordon’s empty glove.

And I certainly hope Scully is wrong, and that the Dodgers aren’t taking this game for granted and thinking about tomorrow.

If Puig hits a HR later in the game, does he lose that Dodgers total bases record w/o a HR, or does he keep it, because he had that total number of bases before the HR?

14. Campy says:

Interesting Tweet by Sons of Steve Garvey — “Historic moments: Dodgers with three triples in an inning, Greinke with four strikeouts in an inning, Perez with zero walks in an inning.” Not only that but he got three consecutive outs.

15. BOB says:

Good game!

Maybe Kemp will play well in RF and Puig will play well in CF as I suspected the other day. Maybe that will be the “TRADE” that is needed regarding position players. However a new catcher is needed no later than 3/31/2015. Now about the bullpen. My regard for some of them is as bad as the idea that rocky mountain oysters even exist.

16. Pete M says:

Quas, I’m with you on A.J… Now I’ll see if I can get some hearts pumping with this… How about Bartolo Colon on a 3 month rental??? He has amazed me the last couple years… HanRam is back and now if he can stay healthy with AGon and Kemp putting it together… SWEET… With Puig in center, I would have a priest for last rights available at all times becuz no human could withstand the Puig-o-Matic with a full head of steam…

Click Here to Leave a Reply