I’ll give you one formula:

1. Dodgers trade Pedro Baez, Alexander Guerrero, Zach Lee, Chris Reed and Andre Ethier to the Phillies for Chase Utley and Jonathan Paplebon.
  2. Dodgers trade Carl Crawford,  Dan Haren, Hanley Ramirez and $60 million dollars to Seattle for P Taijuan Walker.
  3. Dodgers trade Joc Pederson, Dee Gordon, Zach Lee and Chris Anderson to Florida for Giancarlo Stanton.

This is the lineup:

Rotation:

1. Kershaw
  2. Greinke
  3. Ryu
  4. Walker
  5. Beckett or whoever

Paplebon will immensely help the pen.  I’m not saying I would do all that, but I’d have to think about it.  Gordon and Pederson are the ones I hate to give up.  Under no circumstances would I give up Seager.  After last night’s All-Star Game, Pederson’s stock has to be high, so either trade him or try him.  I’m more inclined to jettison Crawford and Ethier – I mean, I think the Dodgers could get 2 fringe prospects for them if they paid 75% of their salaries.  What a stupid deal!   But, I digress.  Eat the money and move on.

I really want to see this lineup:

1. Gordon  2B
  2. Ramirez  SS
  3. Puig  RF
  4. Gonzalez  1B
  5. Kemp  LF
  6. Pederson  CF
  7. Uribe  3B
  8. Ellis  C

Let Arrrrr be Hanley’s 8th and 9th inning caddy!  Can Hanley hold himself together this year?  He’s a wreck!

I couldn’t help but wonder “What if, the Dodgers had kept “Future Hall of Famer” Adrian Beltre:  HERE”s a GOOD READ.

Christmas in july

1. idahoal says:

I just would not give up Gordon. In my opinion, he was the best player on the field in the first half. I would rather trade Guerrero. We need to get rid of Eithier and Crawford and bring up Pederson. I would do the Seattle trade in a heart beat. They just may do it because they are looking for two corner outfielders, and a designated hitter. The only way they would not is because they also need a starting pitcher.

Wow. That’s creative.

The second lineup is more doable.

I still would be surprised if the Dodgers do any major moves. Addressing centerfield and adding a bullpen arm and if Guerrero returns tearing up AAA they might lose Figgins and add Alex’s bat for the drive.

That excogigate should read “What if ex Dodger Adrian Beltre had chosen to stay in Los Angeles”. Like so many, he took the money and ran. Screw him.

3. Campy says:

I feel like part of the “hot stove league”, it sure is fun to speculate and suggest, especially when our job isn’t on the line. I don’t think Utley over Gordon at 2nd is an upgrade so I wouldn’t do that part of the trade. Maybe some deal for Paplebom, although I wonder about his ability to get along in the clubhouse. I have to agree with you that it is time to cut the dead wood, eat the salary and break up the log jam in the outfield. I know I sound like a broken record, but Hanley needs to be moved too, we could still get some servicable BP help for him.Thus trade #2 looks good to me. I don’t think anything major will be done right now, perhaps in the off season. I would like us to see if we couldn’t fix some things by promoting Joc, playing Arrr and tradeing Hanly for either BP help or a C. Then ride out the season. Keep stirring the pot Mark, it’s fun.

4. idahoal says:

I forgot to say that I would add Either to the Seattle trade. I would do the Florida trade except substitute Guerrero for Gordon. I would not do the Philadelphia trade unless Lee is in the trade. Substitute Lee for Utley.

5. Pete M says:

Ditto on the second lineup… I still don’t think Joc is moving up till end of year call ups… Speaking of Joc, just rolled his HR again this morning and it was a thing of beauty… Seagar begins his AA journey today and I wish him well… Starting to pay attention to Sweeney but where dear God does he fit??? I’m good with Papelbon, but not with Utley… I’m a true Gordon believer until offers come in on the hot stove this winter…

Watching the Open this morning. That is one butt ugly golf course. And the high rough is obviously filled with dog sh*t. With Rory and Tiger playing well, people might actually watch. Rory. That’s a cool name – don’t you think?

We don’t need Utley. That trade should have been made last year. I agree with al. Bring Lee and Papelbon in. Maybe Hamels. He looks like he needs a change of scenery.

Mark, on the Phillie possible . . .

I have read that the Phillies might do Jonathan Paplebon and just take over his salary, period. OK, maybe throw them a AA player.

Chase Utley is really not needed.

For whatever it’s worth, this self pronounced rotisserie guru does not believe Papelbon would unseat Jansen as our closer. From what I’ve read about the ‘bon, he has a very high opinion of himself and would maybe gripe about an 8th inning role. I’d be very careful with this and be sure to have a sit down with “his people”. He no doubt has them, be sure he knows AND ACCEPTS, his role here, whatever they decide to do. I have no problem with him as the 8th, or 9th inning guy. Kenley is young, he might actually understand and accept a move.

9. Bill_Russell says:

I can see us trading bad contracts with the Phillies. Crawford or Ethier for Jonathan Papelbon, . I have heard bad things about Papelbon’s clubhouse manners but it couldn’t be any worse than the cancer brewing between 4 outfielders. I really don’t think Dee Gordon will be part of any trades. Just Say no to Cliff Lee. No more declining Stars. Stay Tuned

10. Bill_Russell says:

Well, things change by the second. Just read that Dave Stewart, Kemps agent is saying that if Kemp isn’t an everyday player/centerfielder again, he would be willing to go to another team via a trade. Now I can’t see Kemp being happy in LA since Don Mattingly has no plans of sticking him back into centerfield. Ned shifting gears to the Red Sox or Mariners.

I get the trepidation on Lee Bill. Very risky considering he is currently rehabbing. But just for argument sake, say in his remaining rehab assignments he looks and feels fine, would you consider an exchange of costly contracts? Or, we give them a bag of bagels and take the risk?

I can also see trading Kemp. That much money for a singles hitting left fielder is nuts. He might get it back, he might not. Right now the bargaining would likely be based on what he is, not what he was or what he might be. Good luck with that Jed.

11. bobbie17 says:

The 2 guys who should go are Crawford and Ethier. Crawford because he isn’t that good, and Ethier because he is a professional ballplayer who has some good years ahead of him. Ethier would be an asset for any team that gets him. Not Crawford. Kemp wants to play Center, so let him, for now. Then give Pederson a shot, with KVS as a backup, if he fails. Put JP in left. There should be takers for Ethier. Not Crawford, without incentives ($). This is not a bad time to do this before things really heat up.

I agree that one of them should go. I don’t agree that Crawford isn’t that good and wouldn’t be an asset. He’s just overpaid. I knew that when we got him and I accept it. He is still a guy who, over 120 games could put up close to 2 WAR. he has value off the bench and don’t forget what he did for us in the playoffs last year. In case you did forget – 4 HRs, 6 RBIs 6 runs scored, 13 hits. He is what he is and I’m betting Donnie likes him.

Having said that, I agree with your take on Ethier. He needs to go someplace where his role is more clearly defined and his name is on the lineup card every day. That should have already happened.

“What a stupid deal!” You should have resisted the urge to digress. I really would like to know what was stupid about that deal. The two prospects we surrendered may someday have value. But as of now, neither has distinguished themselves. And without that deal the Dodgers would not have made it to the NLCS last year, and that alone probably paid for the deal. Or don’t you think the Dodgers were the beneficiary of millions in additional revenues as a result of making it to the doorstep of the World Series. And to what degree did last years performance result in higher ticket sales this year? And, of course, there’s revenue from merchandise, etc., etc., etc. And even this year Agon is an overall plus, as is the case with Josh Beckett. That deal was anything but stupid. It put money in the coffers, and helped make the Dodgers relevant again. And it helped buy some time for the farm system, which is being re-built, and which over time will develop a steady pipeline of young talent for the Dodgers. “Stupid”? No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the deals above, I find it impossible to comment, since I’m not familiar with everyone involved. What I do know is that for me there is no such thing as a player I wouldn’t trade. I’d even trade Kershaw if the price was right (VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY RIGHT).

I wouldn’t give much for Utley and Papelbon. Utely’s having a nice year, but I’m not sure he still isn’t fragile, and could break at any time. As for Papelbon, I’m inclined to surrender very little in the way of talent for him, since I believe that just taking his contract off the Phillies hands is all I think they should expect.

Taijuan Walker, I know, is considered one of the top pitching prospects in the game. But I don’t know if he’s ready to step into a big league rotation and make a big difference NOW.

I’d like to see the Dodgers strengthen the pitching staff, and I’d like to see if Pederson can solve the Dodgers CF problem for now. Not interested in trading Hanley now, unless he brings something very valuable back. For me, he’s not a long term solution to anything, but could be a short term solution going forward for the remainder of this season. To do so, he has to get hot, and stay hot, and stay healthy. I’m not convinced he can do all of that, but he’d have to bring back an awful lot for me not to take the chance that he will do it.

Of course you are right Brooklyn, but I don’t Mark will ever agree on our “dollars and sense” explanations of that move.

I’m not much interested in trading Hanley either as I believe the thunder in his bat will return. But we’ve gotten this far without a lot of help from him, so I guess it depends on if the trade remarkably improves the club.

I don’t do #2 but I appreciate and respect the effort Mark put into all that. His mind works in curious ways. Having Walker would be very cool but I don’t believe he is quite ready for a pennant race in front of 50,000 people. #3 requires #1. We’re in first place. We can’t make ALL those changes. Just can’t – and won’t – do it.

That said, I have to admit the first lineup Mark ends up with is damn interesting. I think that lineup WOULD win this year. Could all that happen? Not with Jed in the driver’s seat.

I am an everyday player that should be in CF, an assertion made by Kemp and his agent Dave Stewart, isn’t indicative of his performance or being a team player[whatever it takes]. Having lost being the leader of the team through injuries and lack of performance, leads me to perceive that before he becomes a total malcontent and demands a trade he should be the one we move now.

If #3 requires #1, and they both happen, then Mark needs to become the Dodgers GM. Only GM in baseball who can trade the same player (Zach Lee) to two teams at the same time.

I have no problem with Matt Kemp’s attitude, and I’m not even sure to what degree to associate him with Stewart’s remarks. Maybe Stewart perfectly represents what Matt Kemp is thinking, and maybe not. Besides, I don’t have a problem with Matt Kemp being unhappy about being moved to LF, as long as he goes out there and gives 100%. And I don’t see any evidence that he’s not giving his all.

In the right deal, I would trade Kemp. But if anyone of the outfielders is traded, I prefer it to be Ethier. But it’s probably no secret that I don’t have much faith in Ethier anymore. And I’m not sure what’s still inside Kemp. But in his case, I still have hope that a full recovery is a multi-year process. Let’s not forget, it was only this past spring when there were doubts that Kemp would be ready for the opening of the season, and that playing too soon on his surgically repaired ankle might cause it to break. Maybe as this season progresses Kemp will slowly begin to find a larger part of his past self, or maybe it will take another winter of intensive work to get him back to being close to his old self. So if the right deal comes along, I’m all for it. But by no means should the Dodger just give him away. I think his attitude is fine, and that his skills may still surprise us, be it this year or next. After all, 30 isn’t all that old, even in baseball.

Yes I do. I also think there’s a lot of frustration that he has to come to grips with, but that he’s anything but the malcontent some people make him out to be. My opinion, and nobody has to agree with it.

I decided to look up Kemp’s stats for the season — I am a little surprised.

Comparing him to Puig . . .

Games: K – 86, P – 90 — so Puig has played in only 4 more games.

At bats: K – 305, P – 343 — Puig only has 37 more.

Stolen Bases / Caught Stealing: K – 5/5, P – 7/7 about the same. Neither are great, and only make it half the time.

Strikeouts: K – 87, P – 78 — I though that Kemp might have had more, but Puig is not far behind.

HRs: K – 8, P – 12 — Kemp just has not found that stroke, or sweet spot, or his old swing yet.

What is different –

Average: K – .269, P – .309

RBIs: K – 29, P – 42 — major difference here, and I have the feeling that Kemp has left more runners on base than Puig.

Slugging average: K – .430, P – .522 — again, major difference.

OPS: K – .760, P – .915

What I see.

Kemp some days is close to his old MVP- self, then goes for some ABs and a rookie struggling. But he just might break out soon and help carry this club.

If I am a GM on another team and need another outfielder RIGHT NOW in the race, I go for Kemp is the deal is right.

Does anyone really know about behind the scenes Kemp? These guys have egos the size of Montana, he no doubt is frustrated, maybe a little embarrassed, but I don’t know he has an attitude. He wants to be a center fielder, just like Hanley wants to be a shortstop. Frankly the metrics are screaming DH for both of them. I don’t see Kemp ever doing what he did a few years ago. All the stats say the best years are middle 20′s. If someone like Seattle would give us a few good prospects and take most of his salary I’d take them, add them to a couple of our own young players and along with a suitcase full of cash send it to Miami for Stanton. We trade one left fielder for another and Pederson goes into center. That’s something I would do now. I don’t want to lose Ramirez this year but the same thing applies. If we can get better now by trading him I do it.

The predictions I posted suggest all these guys will improve the rest of the year (that post did show up – right? It’s telling me “your comment is awaiting moderation”. I’ve never seen that before so somebody please tell me if it’s here. It’s fangraphs second half projections for our entire team). We are in first place. If the playoffs start today we are at home with Kershaw and Greinke going. That’s not a bad first half. I agree with the projections – our offense will improve. Get the pieces we all know we need and carry on.

• Mark TImmons says:

Sometimes if you post links, the site holds the comment hostage until I bail it out. Reason: This site gets hundreds of spam posts every day and they all have links. It gets 99.9% of the spam, but it also gets one of your comments now and again. I usually check it daily. Bob and Badger both had comments that I released from spam jail.

Click Here to Leave a Reply