It’s really pretty simple, seven of the twelve pitchers Ned Colletti has assembled for Manager Don Mattingly are really not worthy of a roster spot. “But, they will get better.” Balderdash! You are what your record says you are.
- Paul Maholm 1-4 with a 4.73 ERA
- Dan Haren – Declining since April -0-3 with 9.64 ERA in July
- Josh Beckett – A walking MASH unit – his hip is a huge concern, in fact – there is no way he pitches much longer (I’m not a Doctor but I play one on the internet)
- Chris Perez – 0-3 with a 5.35 ERA (Maybe his dog needs some weed)
- Jamey Wright – While he hasn’t been awful, he has a 12.27 ERA in July
- Brian Wilson – 2-4 with a 4.68 ERA and 31 BB in 50 IP with 51 hits
- Brandon League – He’s 1-2 with a 2.01 ERA but no one trusts him and he has only 26 K’s in 44 IP (translation – the hits are going to start raining down)
All in all, Ned Colletti has $51 million of Guggenheim’s money tied up in that bunch for just this year. I don”t know about you, but if someone worked for me and spent that kind of money for those kind of results, I would make sure they never did it again. They simply would not have a job. Stan tried Ned’s way and it didn’t work. Now, Ned needs to go and someone else needs to fix this.
Some of the solutions may be in-house:
- I would take Red Patterson over Paul Maholm
- I would take Pedro Baez over Brandon League
- I would take Jose Dominguez ovewr Chris Perez
- I would take Scott Elbert over Jamey Wright
- I would take Yimi Garcia over Brian Wilson
- Pace Rodriguez takes Josh Becketts place
- Stephen Fife takes over for Haren
Not only does it save $45 million, but the results would likely be better. There’s a reason three of those guys are former closers and we all know what it is. Now, I am not saying that ALL of the solutions are in-house. I think the Dodgers need another arm or two, but lay off the former closers. Beyond Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, Howell and Jansen, the Dodgers don’t have a single pitcher that Mattingly can trust.
That is an indictment of Ned Colletti. Ned needs to be declared incompetent and institutionalized! Bring in someone to run this team with some knowledge of how a pitching staff is constructed. A monkey throwing darts at a roster could pick pitchers better than Ned (speaking of monkeys, I saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last night – save your money). I rest my case!
- Corey Seager is hitting .400 after his 3rd game at AA.
- Chone Figgins is ready.
- Steve Dilbeck of The LA Times reports that Yasiel Puig (Gasp) may be the Dodgers new Centerfielder. I’m all in with that… provided Puig is fitted with a shocking dog collar controlled by someone in the dugout, so that when he is ready to bulldoze Dee Gordon he can be zapped dead in his tracks. RF is where Kemp belongs. Puig will be OK in CF and platoon Crawford or Ethier with Van Slyke. Trade the one you don’t platoon. Make it happen!