Dodger fans were elated to hear that Clayton Kershaw, Dee Gordon, Yasiel Puig and Zach Greinke had made the All-Star team. Really, there was no surprise in that all were very deserving. I hope you watched the MLB video of Dee Gordon finding out – he is such a good kid. I was high on him in the beginning and then got down on him, but he has worked hard and is now an All-Star. I applaud your work ethic and hustle, Dee!
What is surprising is that the following highly paid “former stars” didn’t make it:
- Adrian Gonzalez – $21.8 million
- Matt Kemp -$21.2 million
- Carl Crawford – $21.1 million
- Josh Beckett – $17 million
- Hanley Ramirez – $16 million
- Andre Ethier – $15.5 million
This is a team which has a 5th starter and a set-up man making $10 million each! Of course, Zach Greinke makes big bucks too ($26 million), but considering that Kershaw, Puig and Gordon are making a COMBINED $10.7 million this year, should give the Dodgers pause about doling out big contracts to aging superstars. You might want to re-think that Stan and Ned! Sure, your plan put a few more butts in seats, but this absurd payroll is going to hamstring the team for a long time to come. I warned you about it long ago and here we are!
Look at other teams who signed aging free agents: Angels (Hamilton & Pujols) and Yankees (A-Rod, Texieria, et al)… to name a couple, have come to regret it, but the Dodgers just did it bigger than anyone. I realize they are trying to grow the farm, which is why they shouldn’t trade anymore prospects for aging superstars – JUST SAY NO TO PRICE!
- Carlos Truinfel is Obviously a Mental Midget – Sorry, Bob Engle, but Carlos is obviously too cool for school. He’s not a player. We have seen enough!
- Lots of players come up to the majors from AA. Call up Darnell Sweeney – shoot – give him a shot in CF.
- The rumor has it that once Corey Seager can consistentlyt hit .450 at RC, the Dodgers will move him up to Chattanooga! <sarcasm> The dude is tearing it up in high A!