The Dodgers may have the best 1,2, 3 rotation in baseball, but their 4 and 5 starters are scary.  Donnie insists he is going to keep rolling Beckett out there and if he keeps pitching Haren his $10 million dollar option for next year will vest.  It looks inevitable to me that the Dodgers will capitulate and make a run for David Price.  I think it’s between the Dodgers and the Cardinals.  If the Dodgers were willing to trade Pederson, Urias and Seager to the Rays for Price, the deal would go down today.  But, hopefully they won’t.

I would like to see Pederson in CF in LA, but I have never been really high on him.  If the Dodgers could get Price, I would include Pederson in that deal.  I would have to think about Urias, but he is at least two years away and a lot bad can happen in two years.  I might include him.  I would NEVER include Seager as I am convinced he will be a special player.  If I were the GM, I would try a deal with Pederson, Sweeney, Reed, Lee or Baez in the deal.  I would try and do it without anyone named Urias and Seager.   Give them quantity over quality.  That said, the Rays may not take it!

Cliff Lee showed he is rusty, but if he’s healthy, he could be had for a song – just take his contract.   I’d rather do that.  We need to see his next start.  We are approaching the deadline, but he could get through waivers pretty easily.   Don’t gut the farm, Ned!

• Joc Jacked one again last night (he also had two bases on balls) to join the 20/20 club
  • Scott Elbert looked good again.  His ERA is down to 1.80 at AAA.  Check your cell phone, Scott.  It should be ringing.
  • Corey Seager was 1-4 (.368) at AA.
  • Darnell Sweeney played CF again and committed his 26th error.  Yikes!  Sounds like Dee, Jr.
  • I suppose Zach Lee should get a look-see but he has been very unimpressive at AAA – maybe it’s just the altitude that has ruined his attitude.  Maybe he will be serviceable at the major league level – I doubt it!

ladodger-brought-to-you-by-uswater

Actually Mark, I pretty much agree with you on Price. I was thinking of the same thing yesterday. I’d hate to have to part with Pederson and Urias, but for Price that package and another player not named Seager is just the price you have to pay for a player of Price’s caliber. Besides, Price belongs with the Dodgers, the team that drafted him out of high school (obviously, he didn’t sign, and went to Vanderbilt).

Don’t believe every word that comes out of Donnie’s mouth. I wouldn’t expect him to say anything negative about any of his pitchers. But if he’s presented with alternatives to replace either Haren or Beckett, he’ll do it in a flash. I think that Haren needs about 57 innings to vest, and could make another 10-11 starts (think I read that at Dodgers Digest). Might not be so easy for him to pile up those innings if he continues to pitch as he has. In fact, if he doesn’t show some improvement, he’s not going to get all those opportunities. My guess is that he doesn’t vest. As for Beckett, it could well be that he’s toast, or maybe not. But I don’t think it will take very long for the Dodgers to figure that one out.

Actually, I think Colletti gets a bad rap around here as somebody who doesn’t trust young players. Colletti was the GM in 2006 when the Dodgers brought in Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, Russell Martin, Chad Billingsley, and maybe some others I’m not thinking of now. Paco made it to LA with very little minor league experience, Puig was promoted, and Dee Gordon was handed the shortstop job in 2012 after a good September run in 2011. However, much of his time was spent as GM under McCourt, who virtually destroyed the farm system, leaving very few prospects to bring up. Given the resources to work with, I don’t think that Colletti has any problem at all giving young players an opportunity. I have no doubt that he will trade young players in a deal for a player like Price, but I also don’t think he has any intention of totally depleting the farm system. And let’s not forget that the purpose of a strong farm system is to create a steady pipeline of talent to BOTH supply the major league club, and to provide currency for trades.

Just thought of a few other young players that got a chance with the Dodgers under Colletti. Some guy named Kershaw, Kenley Jansen, Chris Withrow, and I guess you could throw in Scott Elbert when he was healthy. And there might be others I’m not thinking of.

3. bobbie17 says:

The pitching on this team is not good enough to get to the post season. Coupled with a lack of hitting, this team is going nowhere. You can’t win with 3 starters, 2 relievers, and few consistent hitters. I still think the Dodgers should play the hand it has and see what happens, which will be a distant second place to the Giants. I doubt that even Price will make a difference because the bullpen still stinks. He will not pitch 9 innings every game, and his run support will be not much better than in TB. If the Dodgers are lucky(and that is all it is), the Giants will stumble, and it may be close down the stretch. This weekend the rotation is set up for Kershaw, Grienke and Ryu against the Giants weakened rotation. If they don’t win 2-3 in that configuration, forget it. Keep the young players and hope the Giants stink more than they do.

4. idahoal says:

Brooklyn and Mark, I would not give up Urias for Price. Seager and Urias are untouchable. I would give up Pederson, Guerrero and others for Price.

I certainly disagree with you Brooklyn on Colletti. He sent Paco and Withrow down this year because they had options. Then Withrow got hurt. He did this because the over the hill gang had no options left. Colletti did not keep the best ball players. The players were really upset when Withrow was sent down. Paco and Withrow were young and he sent them down. Colletti continues to sign over the hill pitchers for the bull pen. St. Louis does just the opposite. They use their young throwers in the bull pen. Donnie has only two pitchers he can trust in the bull pen. That cannot happen at the major league level. Donnie certainly has made mistakes managing, but I blame this whole mess on Colletti.

Colletti better not give up Seager or Urias to get Price.

5. idahoal says:

Another thing Colletti did. He kept four starting outfielders for three positions. I said this spring you cannot do this. The starters need to know that they will be in the line up every day. They need to know when they come to the ball park they will be playing. There have been injuries to the out fielders, but that is why you have SVS. Another problem for Mattingly caused by Colletti.

Colletti signed Maholm as an insurance in case Beckett could not go. Beckett has pitched and now you have Maholm in the pen where he has been useless. Then Colletti had to send Paco and Withrow down. I am getting all of this off my chest, because I think Colletti has done just a terrible job as GM.

6. t.o.dave says:

Here’s how to get Price without trading Seager, Urias or Pederson (assuming Tampa doesn’t climb close enough to be in the playoff race over the next week thus holding onto him)… Trade Kemp, cash and whatever prospects other than those three to Tampa…OR…involve another American League team that would want Kemp if Tampa doesn’t and flip the cash and Kemp to that team which trades the prospects Tampa would want with other prospects we need to send without gutting our farm and especially keeping our top three prospects. As for relief, consider trading Ethier as well as has been discussed by others. We still have Puig in right, Pederson gets a shot in center with SVS remaining an option to play there and in left along with Crawford (I’d love to trade Crawford but who would want him?)… Maybe he’ll stay healthy enough to contribute as he did in last year’s playoffs. We’d miss Kemp’s bat but hasn’t it gone missing enough already? We made the playoffs without him last year. Besides, I think Guerrero will provide offense off the bench along with Turner, and hopefully a solid contribution from Pederson will help us forget about Kemp. How about the rest of you GM wannabes? Your thoughts?

• BOB says:

That is a good idea. How about Kemp, $$$$, #4 Lee, and #6 Reed to Seattle, #1 Walker & #4 Diaz to Tampa, and Price to LA.
      However I have a strange feeling that Kemp will shine in RF and Puig will shine in CF and we will regret trading Kemp.

7. idahoal says:

Good ideas. I have no problem putting Kemp in right, Puig in center and Either in left. Trade Crawford or Either. The bull pen can be fixed from within. Bring back Paco, Elbert and some of the other young throwers. I do believe we need one more starting pitcher. I would be talking to Oakland. They just picked up two starting pitchers from the Cubs. I would like to have Walker from Seattle. They may part with him because they have good young pitching. They need a good corner out fielder and Kemp would fit their needs.

Why is Urias this sudden untouchable? Yes, he’s a top prospect. And David Price is a proven ace. You’re probably not going to see Urias in LA for 3 or 4 years. Anybody that thinks he’ll be with us in two years, doesn’t notice how he’s being used. He’s pitched a grand total of 55 innings this year. He probably won’t begin to see a normal amount of innings until next year at age 18, or maybe not until 2016 when he opens the season at age 19. Like Mark said, a lot can happen in two years, and even more in 3 or 4 years. Most of what we know about Urias is what we read. I don’t want to give him up, and I’d try to my best not to. However, if push comes to shove, he’s not an untouchable in a deal for an ace that together with Kershaw, Greinke and Ryu would give the Dodgers a killer rotation in the postseason.

Paco was sent down because he has been ineffective since the end of last year. Withrow knew he was only going temporarily, and that he would be back. And he would currently be in the Dodgers pen had he not been injured. Fact is, Kemp, Loney, Martin, Billingsley, Ethier, Broxton, Kershaw, Puig, Elbert, Gordon, Jansen, Paco, Withrow, are all young players that were given opportunities to to play important roles in LA. When the farm system has produced players, they have been given opportunities. Other than Yimi Garcia, I can’t think of anyone who’s been held back by veterans. And in Garcia’s case, for all I know, the Dodgers may not think all that much of him. I do know that I can’t recall ever seeing him high up on any prospect lists. Baseball America ranked him #13 in the Dodgers system before this season, and noted that he “lacks a true plus pitch, but he fills up the zone and finds a way to miss bats, which should allow him to be an effective set-up man.” In other words, he has some potential.

So the midgets lost today. Guess that means they’re not invincible. Don’t think the midgets aren’t capable of another slide. They’re really not that good. Problem is, Dodger fans always seem to think that the grass in greener on the other side of the fence. The midgets have problems too. And so do the Cards, with a record of 54-47 vs. the Dodgers 56-47. And haven’t the Dodgers won the season series against the Cardinals this year, at 4-3. Everyone just needs to relax, and understand that each game is important, but that even if the Dodgers lose the series this weekend against the midgets, the season is not over. It wouldn’t be good, but it certainly wouldn’t be the end, and certainly a bit early to declare the Dodgers moribund. As much as it bores some people, let me repeat, it’s a long season, filled with twists and turns, and ups and downs. My glass remains half full.

10. idahoal says:

I agree, I do not think the Giants are that good. I think we will beat the Giants with what we have. I just do not like the way this team was put together. I really expected the Dodgers to be 10 games ahead. We have the best three starters in baseball right now. We will win many games with those three. Uribe, Gordon and Gonzales are playing well right now. If Puig, Kemp and Ramirez start to hit the last two months, we will win the West going away. Only if, the bull pen is solved. The starters will not go nine innings. You only have two pitchers in the bull pen you can trust. If you can get seven innings out of Kershaw, Greinke and Ryu, you have a chance.

Idaho, you hit it on the nose with “If Puig, Kemp and Ramirez start to hit the last two months….” It would be wonderful to get that trio hitting together consistently along with the rest of our lineup. If that had been the case all year, the Dodgers would have already run away from the rest of the division. No doubt that there are bullpen and starter issues also to be addressed, but it would be nice if our offense could just steamroll over other teams and take some of the pressure off the pitching as a whole. Things could happen soon, but I suspect that a lot of this (probably most of it) will come down to the deadline. With two wildcards in each league, there are still lots of buyers out there, probably making deals more difficult and the prices that much more expensive. With their recent good play, I wonder if Tampa is still looking to trade Price. And of course, they could use this atmosphere to drive the price up. And so too, the price for other players will also be driven up.

At this time next week we’ll probably all be holding our collective breaths.

Price . . . Tampa Bay . . .

Right now they are 7 games out, with- 3 team ahead of them, and, Boston behind them by 2 games and Boston will play tough the rest of the season.

So I think if they trade price, it will come at a high price. And . . .

The Cardinals and Giants both could use him (in the N.L. alone).

13. BOB says:

Proposed trade with the worst team in MLB. They might decide to be selling this year. Maybe I will get one yes from Mark?

Uribe, Perez, #? Guerrero, #2 Pederson, #4 Lee, #6 Anderson
    for
    Beltre, and #1 Alfaro (C) (rated 60) ETA 2016

14. BOB says:

What to do with these conscientious objectors?
    Ethier WAR -0.3 and dWAR -0.8
    Kemp WAR -1.5 and dWAR -2.8
    Haren WAR -0.6
    Maholm WAR -0.6
    Perez WAR -0.4
    Wilson WAR -0.6

It is possible to win with 3 great starting pitchers and two #6 starters. You just have to hit the living sh*t out of the ball. It would certainly be easier with 4 great starters.

I told you how I get Price – trade Ethier (and maybe a another young prospect or a few million clams) for 2 good prospects then lump them with 2 of ours not named Seager, send them and a suitcase filled with gold bars to Tampa. IF this the year, and frankly if the high paid sluggers don’t start slugging this is most definitely NOT the year, then what needs to be done MUST be done. We will know 48 hours before the deadline if the Rays are dealing. Right now they have a 10% chance of making the playoffs. If it stays there, they will deal. If that number improves in the next few days Price won’t be going anywhere.

Some position player making 20 XXL needs to put the team on their back and lead. If that doesn’t happen, Mark’s early season profit of doom scenario could indeed play out.

I remain confident. SF ain’t that good.

• grumpy3b says:

Nope they ain’t that good…but they do have one of the best ballpark treats every….Garlic fries & an Anchor Steam…not sure what beverage is offered up these days but I remember the first time I had those evil-delicious garlic fries…I hated the Junts even more from that day forward.

Seriously though I do not believe Price is 100%. I was reading a price on him a month or two back which did a breakdown of his mechanical metrics and they did show a decline in some key areas (for the life of me I don’t remember where I read it). It made sense and the article went as far as saying this is the year they NEED to move Price, before his arm falls off in the next year or two.

Of course I’d love to see a healthy Price in that rotation. And we all knew Beckett & Haren would never maintain their pace, that sort of stuff only happened in that “Dark Era” when Selig became legend to the owners with his blind eyes. We all knew the Dodgers needed another SP but I think most of us figured one of the kids would fill the role sometime this season. I think a quiet trade for a solid #3 guy is enough as long as they figure out where the offense is going to come from.

And there is the true reason I think we all worry, these guys look like crap at the plate. It seems a bunch of individuals playing for themselves and any adulation small successes bring. Kemp has always been that guy on the field…he is the anti-Ethier who is a far more even personality, he is just cranky more often than not, so what, Mark knows what that’s like, right? :p Then again Mark likely has more power than the post-broken pinky Ethier (yes that was when he went to poop-in-a-handbasket). Nobody has talked about it but, Mcguire has not worked any magic with the hitters that I can see…maybe he has or maybe a few guys simply won’t listen?

If the Dodger’s move on Price no matter what they give up, I think it may be too much. They need a rent-a-slugger and there aren’t any. Of course the Phillies would love to unload a “power” guy, Howard, for a broken screw driver and a bucket of range balls. I’m not saying he is a guy to get, just channeling my inner Ned…he loves potential and used-ta-wuz guys out there…

If they don’t get the right deal for someone who can hit .270-.285 and hit 10-12 HR’s with 20+ doubles the rest of the way, I say don’t make any trades except to fill the minors to allow bringing up some of the kids. I say Van Slyke can deliver those exact numbers playing more often, maybe?

Oh, and I certainly would never trade Urias for Price. Urias has the most natural fluid delivery I have seen since Seaver. It is utterly effortless, you simply cannot teach that…you also have to consider that his value is probably low right now because he is so young. As mentioned he won’t be MLB ready for a few years yet, but if he is not up in 3yrs his arm got the epizootie, turned green and fell off. We all likely remember people screaming to move Kershaw early on as well because it was time to win now…that would have been a dandy trade, so the other guys.

At least with Kasten around he actually helped build a winner w/o ‘roids so he has an idea what that sort of team looks like…Ned has never been part of a winning team that did not stink of Garlic Fries.

I haven’t heard any issues with Price. His stats don’t suggest there is any problem.

Seems to me somebody in here talked about Puig in center. Oh yeah, it was me. He is clearly the best outfielder on this team. Yes he has a tendency to run into into things but he has been better about that. The team just needs to make sure he communicates. If you hear him yelling BALL, BALL! stop your pursuit. Easy peasy.

Is Beckett done?

Lee should be given a shot at #5 in my estimation. He’s a first round pick you gave $5 million. See if he can go 6 and keep them to 3. What else you gonna do with him? If I were a rival GM I would wonder why, with your obvious need for another starter, you are not handing the ball to this guy. He needs more seasoning? BS. He’s at AAA. That’s not where you season young pitchers, that is where you stable your reserve horses.

Great trip to the Bay Area. I miss that Northern California summer. Been damn hot down here.

Joc with a go ahead GS. If he isn’t on his way here, he definitely has to be a .bona fide trade prospect.

Agree on Lee, don’t want to see Haren again.

Price will be a FA at the end of next season.

Can we trade some of our disposables to Japan?

“Price will be a FA at the end of next season.”

Yep. Then we extend him. But I still don’t see the Rays throwing in the towel.

“Can we trade some of our disposables to Japan?”

Nope. But I believe as long as our guys are carrying passports we can give them parachutes and throw them out of a plane over Okinawa.

Uribe and all those prospects for a catching prospect Beltre? Who is proposing that one?

• Michael says:

I think if we traded for Price it would be to keep him long term, so if we’re going to pay him anyway, I’d rather not trade blue-chippers for him for 1 1/2 yrs if there is a least costly alternative. Then again, don’t want any other NL team to land him. TG is only 4 1/2 out of WC.
        Billy Beane isn’t sitting on his hands and has made another deal.
        Ned gets sloppy seconds.
        Just do something, Stupid!

18. idahoal says:

I agree with you Badger on Lee. Bring him up. If we do not need him now, when. I do not believe much in those stats from AAA. I also believe Pederson should come up after July 31, if he is not traded. Both deserve a chance to prove what they can do. We already know what our 5th starter can do.

Click Here to Leave a Reply