LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today designated Clint Robinson for assignment and reinstated outfielder Carl Crawford from the 15-day disabled list (left ankle sprain).

Crawford, who was placed on the disabled list on May 28 after suffering a left ankle sprain on May 27 vs. Cincinnati, is batting .267 (40-for-150) with four homers, six doubles, nine stolen bases and 18 RBI in 44 games for the Dodgers this season. Before landing on the disabled list, Crawford posted a .333 (26-for-78) average with all four of his homers in 22 May games. The left-handed hitting outfielder appeared in four games at Triple-A Albuquerque on his rehab assignment and went 5-for-11 (.455) with two triples and one RBI, last appearing on Tuesday vs. El Paso (2-for-2, 3B, R).

Robinson appeared in nine games for the Dodgers and batted .333 (3-for-9) with two RBI after his contract was selected from Albuquerque on June 25.

My Commentary:

Carl Crawford is not in the lineup tonight!

Here’s the lineup:

1. Gordon
  2. Ramirez
  3. Puig
  4. Gonzalez
  5. Kemp
  6. Van Slyke
  7. Uribe
  8. Ellis
  9. Cy Young

Question?  When  will the Dodgers become the first team to have two “AJ’s” catching?

Christmas in july

• Michael says:

I’d prefer a little foresight and realize that we need a starting C for next year when Ellis begins his coaching career. Think the Mets and Seattle both have a couple up and comers who might kill two birds with one stone, a backup now and someone to clutch the reins for the very near future.
      They had a party for AJ in Texas, after he LEFT. Just say NO

In reading the stats I see Pierz has a .2 oWAR and a .2 dWAR and an overall WAR of -.1 which makes no sense to me at all. He might be a better hitter than Butera, but, worth it? Iontkno. Ask the staff what they think.

Still trying to find out if Guerrero is going to play again soon. He allegedly began baseball activities about 2 weeks ago. I wonder how they are going.

2 out of the first 3 innings very non clutch by this offense. Come on guys – this is the Padres, you have your ace on the mound and first place is at stake.

Current history,

Back on May 15th, I was out to see the San Antonio Missions (Padre AA team) play a game. Despaigne was the starter for the Missions and it was his first game in the States. He pitched 2 games for San Antonio and then went on to the AAA team, El Paso, and pitched 5 games. 29 Ks in 23.2 innings.

He warmed up right in front of me on that May night. Pitched 3 innings, giving up 2 hits 1 run, 2 walks, and had 6 Ks. He was on a pitch limit that night. Noticed his stylish motion. He looked sharp to me.

Kershaw was worth watching. Nobody else really was. 2 for 13, 7 Ks WRISP. Note to Dodgers hitters – when you have a fastball pitcher on the mound, look for one, especially one over the middle of the plate. Duh.

Despaigne also threw a lot of offspeed stuff. Best way to handle those guys is to go up the middle or to the opposite field.

Wonder how good Despaigne really is, since he apparently wasn’t all that highly regarded outside Cuba. Received about $1 million when he was signed in May. I remember hearing about him,

Hard to tell how good he will continue to be but it’s easy to see how good he has been so far. Damn good. Take a look at the advanced metrics when you get a chance. If he continues at this pace, and qualifies, he’s a lock for ROY. he has a WHIP under 1, a 253 OPS+ and has already put up over a 1 WAR. Project that. Is he THAT good? I hope not.

Both Kemp and Puig were caught looking at fastballs right down the middle. Quackenbush got Puig. These at bats were with runners on. With 2 strikes you just cannot do this. It’s hitting 101, taught in high school – with 2 strikes you must protect the plate and a fastball over the middle needs to be protected. That’s like leaving the front door of your house wide open when you go on vacation. Somebody robbed you? Duh. Look fastball adjust off speed/breaking ball. Drives me nuts to see Major Leaguers make this mistake. How did you get this far being that stupid?

But, somehow (Kershaw) we got the W. I’m betting he told Mattingly “don’t bother warming anybody up. I’m finishing this one.”

Just checked milb box scores, Yimi, Paco and Dominguez have not pitched in several days. Dominguez pitched on the 7th and that’s it. Wonder what up.

Pederson with 3 hits yesterday. Doesn’t seem right to leave him there.

If it were up to me Perez would find himself in New Mexico or looking for work elsewhere. League is pretty good now and then. We do need a 7th inning pitcher that we feel confident inserting with a 1 run lead. Right now in that situation I don’t have anybody because I would want Howell in the 8th. Those guys, as a group, have not been as good as I thought they would be.

• Michael says:

I’m sure you check out other sites Badger, but if you just checked the milv box scores you may have missed Guerreros return to action. Per True Blue, Guerrero made his first appearance with the AZL Dodgers and went 3 for 5 with HR and 2 ribbies. Man that dude can hit.

• BOB says:

And there were less TJs when every rotation had 4 starting pitchers. My elbow gets sore when I use a mouse. Maybe all pitchers should be restricted to voice recognition software! Lack of cross training, excessive weights, lack of stretching, and GMO are my guesses. It is amazing how much faster a pitcher, and position players, can throw when their shoulder rotation is improved through stretching exercises with a 2 pound weight while leaning back with their shoulders on an exercise ball.

6. bobbie17 says:

I agree with Mark that something is wrong with Ryu. With Beckett out, this is a thin rotation, at best. Haren has to step up and take the #4 spot. It wouldn’t surprise me if he is pitching at #3 before too long. Bad situation. If I am right about Ryu, I think it’s time to spend the store on another front line pitcher. We cannot get through this season with any success with Kershaw, Greienke, and Haren. The bullpen will be torched by Sept. 1. This is the time when Lee and Reed should have been ready to contribute. What a waste of top picks. I guess the team can throw them in and see what happens. It could be ugly. After the Detroit slaughter, it is obvious that the team’s recent success has more to do with the Giants’ flop than the team performing well. I don’t think the Giants will play this way all year, but who knows. If they do, don’t be surprised if the D’backs get back into it, with Trumbo coming back soon. Those A’s can really play. They won a statement game yesterday, and it wasn’t even close. Can Blue beat them under any circumstances? I doubt it.

Ryu needs some rest. Gee, you would think, just pitch him every 6th game, just holding him back one start or player. Not just keep him in the #3 spot, but:
    1 – 2 – Ryu – 4 – 5. then
    1 – 2 – 4 – Ryu – 5. Then
    1 – 2 – 4 – 5 – Ryu. then
    1 – 2 – 4 – 5 – 1
    Ryu – 2 -4 – 5 – 1
    2 – Ryu – 4 – 5 – 1

Or, add a 6 one time starter on the 4th round.

Just that Ryu needs a bit more rest.

• BOB says:

That does not work. One other starter would get tired from 3 days rest.

Just bring up Lee for August and when he flops bring up Reed for September and create that 6 man rotation. Unless Ned is afraid to admit that Lee is a bust.

The Dodgers are terrible.! They are only tied for the 3rd most wins in MLB and tied for 1st in the NL. Ok they are not terrible but Ray Charles can see that there are some obvious issues that need to be addressed very soon.

Ray Charles can’t see shat. The man’s been dead for several years.

Speaking of dead, Ryu’s arm just might be. Let us lead into the next generation of MLB creationism. Create the 6 man rotation starting in August. Trade for Peavy. He’s the perfect fit for it. Install Lee too. He is too skinny to pitch every 5th day. Kershaw might even pitch the entire length of his contract by doing this!

• BOB says:

I can SEE that working!

Ryu rested up well on the DL earlier this year. Maybe he just needs to skip 10 days during the All-Star break.

Sometimes after I log in I am immediately logged out and I have to log in a second time. Sometimes when I come back to the website I am already logged in.=???? At least there is spell check.

8. idahoal says:

Team Stream is proposing Price for Pederson, Seager, and Lee. Would anyone make that trade? I would not unless I knew Beckett is done for the year. Of all the pitchers we drafted over the past five years, I cannot believe we do not have any ready to move in to a starting roll.

Guererro finally returned to action yesterday, and homered in a rookie-league game. He will play, and play well, in the Majors this year.

A rumor I read that I will perpetuate here – Gordon, Lee and Pederson for Stanton. It’s a 3 way and Ethier leaves at the same time for prospects, one to be included to Miami. Guerrero, Arrue, Seager and Sweeney are the future in our infield.

Click Here to Leave a Reply