Tampa Bay, the Cubs, Houston, the Mets and the Phillies all have worse records than the Dodgers (just to name a few teams), but the Dodgers are currently the laughingstock of baseball right now.   Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY Sports penned a column castigating the Dodgers and showing what the perception of the Dodgers really is by outsiders.  In part he said this:

The irony in the Los Angeles Dodgers’ daily soap opera is that this $235 million team was built for TV.

Now, not only is the team hard on the eyes, but you can’t find it on the TV network in Los Angeles.

Fitting, isn’t it?

The Dodgers are a dead team walking.

Oh, sure, they still very well could find themselves claiming one of the two wild-card spots.

But win the National League West?

No chance.

It’s over.

The San Francisco Giants don’t have the talent the Dodgers have, but they have the kind of team the Dodgers crave.

The Giants are the definition of a true team.

The Dodgers are the true definition of a sabermetric nightmare.

The Dodgers may look good on paper, and there are high-paid stars everywhere you look, but when they step on the field together, they are a TV reality show: “Dysfunction Junction.”

They may out-talent everybody in the league, but they will never outhustle anybody.

How can the Dodgers (32-30) see that they actually have a worse record than the Miami Marlins and not be totally disgusted?

There is one guy, of course, who happens to be the only guy worth watching these days: Yasiel Puig. And while Puig has certainly matured this year, the Dodgers have conveniently looked the other way when it comes to discipline.

It was just this past week — the same day that shortstop Hanley Ramirez and closer Kenley Jansen argued on the field before the game and Matt Kemp and Puig argued during the game, and a few days after outfielder Andre Ethier and Mattingly yelled at each other — that Puig stepped onto the field wearing a T-shirt, shorts and sandals, getting ready for a TV interview.

The rest of his teammates were actually on the field getting ready to stretch, and hitting coach Mark McGwire tapped at his wristwatch, reminding Puig that he was late.

Completely unfazed, Puig still stood in front of the cameras, did his interview, headed back to the clubhouse, changed, and missed stretching. He took his batting practice, didn’t bother shagging balls with the rest of the outfielders, and still was in the lineup.

How’s that for discipline?

The Dodgers are a mess, and everyone in the game knows it.

Here they are, with the most expensive team in baseball history, and a starting rotation that’s the finest in the game, and they are squandering their riches.

They are a Maserati with a Ford Pinto engine.

Let’s see, your starting shortstop, Ramirez, is considered the worst defensive shortstop in baseball by any defensive stat you choose.

Ouch!  He goes on and on about it and other teams, but right here, right now, the Dodgers are a pathetic joke!

Greenwave-Info

1. Jae says:

It’s career day in elementary school where each student talks about what their dad does. Little Johnny is last, and finally the teacher calls on him to talk about his dad. Johnny comes to the front of the class. ‘My daddy is a dancer at a gay bar. He takes off his clothes for other men, and if they pay him enough money, he goes into the alley and performs sex acts on them.’ The teacher is shocked, and she calls for an early recess for the rest of the class. She sits down with Johnny and asks him if this is really true about his dad. Johnny says; ‘No, but I was too embarrassed to say he played for the Los Angeles Dodgers.’

Who gives a rats ass what a Bob Nightengale thinks. He’s a hack from Minnesota (then Phoenix) that probably grew up a Twins fan. Don’t listen to the haters. The Dodgers are the most interesting team in all of baseball. They lead the league in both road and home attendance.

Having said that, I am frustrated by their seeming lack of interest in fundamentals.

Home run Derby in Cincy tonight. Hope we can at least uncork a couple.
    Really good to see A-Gon get a day off but it’s not Van Slick giving him a breather, it’s Romak. What happened to putting your best team on the field? No offense to Romak, glad he finally got his cup of coffee but my gosh if this is as good as it gets, we really are the shits.

4. Anonymous says:

Dodgers need to play gas house gang style.when they do they will win . many will hate them aroundlb but is good for mlb it will bring many championship’s .

5. Watford Dodger says:

It’s really easy to do what Nightengale did. Where’s the detail? What research has gone into this piece? Where’s the inside track? It’s just his personal feelings. I’m sure he will write a retraction when they’re picking up their rings. Did he question the Yankees last year when they were a .500 team?
    There’s a word for it & that word is JEALOUSY.

6. Bball says:

Agree with badger. I don’t give a shit what anyone says. They said the same last year too I’m sure. Why so much hate Mark. Every post has disgust in it. Wouldn’t you be upset if the new owners did nothing. Geez I think they are doing everything they can to bring a championship back. Cheer up bud

That’s the spirit truth! Losing early don’t matter. Come from behind with a charge when it counts!

Mark just can’t seem to accept the “big market” concept Bball. He’s from Indiana. Small school. LA is big market high profile. I like the idea of West Coast Yankees, only as you know I prefer them being the East Coast Dodgers. But, they did it first and are more valuable – for now. Let’s just be happy with the idea that we are the West Coast Big Ballers. Beats the crap out of where mcAsscrack lead the team. But it still bothers me they apparently think all they have to do is show up to win. They don’t field well, they lack plate discipline and few of them know how to slide. If that’s how you intend to play fine, start hitting the snot out of the ball and all will be forgiven. We are considered the ” bully”? Then start pushing people around!

I don’t consider SVS a backup. Hell, I trust him out there more than Ethier Crawford or Kemp!

May as well play Romack; he’s on fire (1 for his last 1) and Gonzales clearly needs a day off to refresh his head.

Kind of agree with Badger —— Mark, it is not the total dollars the Dodgers are spending . . . they factored in the income in and then the income out — and they are not broke (yet).

That income is from ticket sales (home and away), stuff sales, TV and radio and media funds in, etc.

What hits the wall —- is —- the fact that the players they have placed on the roster have not worked out.

It is the lack of chemistry of this team.

It is the personal pride of being a Dodger that has not hit all of them yet.

Donnie has lost a few games with his moves, and that does not help. And now that the going is tough — he does not seem to be in control or know how to steer the ship.

The other day Puig hit a double with no outs. Then two quick out, and the camera went on Puig at second base, and he looked at the Dodger bench and his expression was –“well, hit me in, get his going, what is wrong with you guys!”

10. Idaho al says:

Bball, I agree the owners are trying to win. The manager is trying to win. Most of the players are trying to win. The only one who does not, is Colletti. He brings in ball players like he did when McCourt was the owner. Now Colletti has money, but he still brings in old ball players who are over the hill, with the hope of getting one or two more years out of them. I understood what he did when he had no money, but now, he is the worst general manager is baseball. Even worse than Seattle’s GM. Now he is paying the over the hill guys big bucks.

I think Mattingly is doing what I would do. Right now he is playing the 9 best players he has with the 9 best attitudes. To “hell” with the big contracts and to “hell” with the big egos. I would rather lose with the 9 best talent and best attitudes, than win with the big egos.

I can tell you it happened to me when I was coaching High School Basketball. When I finally decided to cut good talent with poor attitudes, we became winners. Poor attitudes will ruin a good team.

11. Guillermo reyes says:

Yes who cares? All us Giants fans in L.A. I used to bleed bl u e as a kid. When the O Marley ‘ left town so did my Dodger heart. Yes lots of paid attendance. Paid for season tix by big corporate s for tax deductions. Greedy Dodgers Only one cable who dose not want to share. All greed Dodgers and TWO CABLE. see my Giants in October

Mr reyes, small r, you might want to do a little research on who it is that owns the sf midgets. If you think it’s a small family owned operation you are even more naive than your post suggests you are. And shame on you for jumping ship.

SVS is a backup Bobby. At the end of the year I bet his numbers will reflect that. We have 4 other outfielders who are better.

12. Anonymous says:

Q: Whats the difference between the Los Angeles Dodgers and a mosquito?

A: A mosquito stops sucking.

Q: What do the Los Angeles Dodgers and possums have in common?

A: Both play dead at home and get killed on the road!

Q: What is the difference between a Dodgers fan and a baby?

A: The baby will stop whining after awhile.

Q: What do you call 40 millionaires around a TV watching the World Series?

A: The Los Angeles Dodgers.

What you call a midgets fan who posts on a Dodgers blog under Anonymous?

A gutless lame ass sissy Candypants.

FedX not good at blocking balls in the dirt. In fact, what exactly is he good at

I’ll agree to disagree with you Badger

I’d start SVS over the other 3; let the overpaid guys fight to play LF, and let the 2 kids who seem to be having fun take over CF and RF

Hopefully he’s OK and just disgusted like a lot of Dodgers are. The broadcast is available tonight on ESPN in his area so he may chime in. Maybe Mark has contact info????

He’s my favorite backup Bobby, but he is still a backup. And he will be even after one of the first teamers is moved.

Mark does have contact info Michael. He’s get a message to him.

16. BOB says:

There actually is a game on TV this season. Cool!

Now I can actually see what I know.

Ramirez is the worst fielding SS in MLB and his swing is way too long just as it always is when he is not hitting

Puig can’t slide

Kemp’s swing is way way too long and he is lucky to get a walk

Van Slyke should play against every LHP and Donnie should rotate him to replace Crawford, Ethier, Kemp and Gonzalez so that the guys who can’t hit LHP will get a chance to improve their miserable stats.

Turner’s swing is too long.

Looks like a major issue here that supplement training should be able to fix.

17. T.O.Dave says:

Bobby,

Nice observation on SVS. You must have a crystal ball. I’ve been quietly wondering for a while whether he deserves to start. Problem is, he ain’t all that on defense in the outfield and he isn’t about to supplant Adrian at 1st. But, maybe just maybe, he can play enough centerfield adequately (fingers crossed), start occasionally at first and left/right field maybe to hit his way into the lineup for awhile to help turn this ship around before it is a shipwreck. Agree with others, plenty of time left. Just need to shake things up and SVS might just be one of the guys to do it for a while. This is the time for the guys itching to play to show what they can do, not just to send a message to the prima donnas, but to give them the rest they need and light the fire to help motivate them and the rest of the club toward a nice run. I see an opportunity to build chemistry.

18. T.O.Dave says:

Me, too. Very odd. Maybe he just needs a string of starts and consistent at bats to make a difference?

Speaking of making a difference, if only the Dodgers had a winning record at home. As Charlie Steiner just stated, the Dodgers are tied with the Giants for the best road record thus far.

The reason Van Slyke is a backup is because he doesn’t hit RHP very well. .223 lifetime .214 this year. He is a platoon player. Now maybe on a different team he could improve those numbers, but not on this one.

This team will round into form. On June 23rd last year they were 9.5 out.

20. T.O.Dave says:

Very true Badger. But to shake things up, he might make a difference for a while. Just be careful which right handers he faces. There must be some he can hit. How else does a guy like him make it to the bigs? Just cause he has power against southpaws? Pedigree help? I dunno. He ain’t all that on defense. I guess he is what you say… a platoon player (plus a nice threat against southpaws off the bench).

21. T.O.Dave says:

Gotta fly to Tampa tomorrow. Think I’ll catch the Rays v. Cardinals Wednesday night. Never been to Tropicana Field. Sure it’s no Dodger Stadium.

22. the truth hurts says:

I’m with you Badger, the season is far from over and I embrace the new blue.

They compared JocP to Cargo tonight on ESPN, should make us all smile if that comes to fruition.

Reggie, no one is suggesting that the Dodgers are going to win 42 of their next 50. But they didn’t have to do that to win last year. Or have you forgotten that they won the division by 11 games?

Bashing the Dodgers probably makes good copy right now. And if the Dodgers start winning, that tune will change very abruptly. Can’t take that stuff seriously. Besides, are the Dodgers worse than the Red Sox, and Cardinals? Didn’t I hear over the winter some stuff about the “Cardinals Way” and the “Red Sox Way”? How come those teams are now underperforming?

We don’t need 42 out of 50. 60 out of 98 should do it. We need to take care of business within the division.

I like Van Slyke. He backs up two positions and is thunder in a ph role. Very valuable. But we are better with Crawford, Gonzalez and Uribe at 100%. As you know I like Ethier too but I still contend he has to go. If we move him and Kemp or Crawford get hurt again we have Pederson and Van Slyke.

I still think we can win this thing. Get everybody healthy and keep them on the field for 90 games each, we have a real shot.

25. grumpy3b says:

Badger how do ya really feel? ;p

BTW, you forgot “stink finger loving junt fan” in there somewhere. ;)

Oh, I think it was you who mentioned in last topic that ET hit lefties in his first couple seasons…I seem to recall he was OK in general. It was when his pinky finger broke that his hitting went from borderline scary good to marginally above Punch-n-Judy. He has never been the same guy.

Patient as I am I think Kemp might be in the same boat though I say they have to either move him now while he can show flashes it’s just gonna be until next year when he really starts play as recovered as he is likely to ever be again…or, well, wait.

But I am coming to the position from our old pal Al Campanis that it’s better to trade a guy a season or two, too soon than a season too late. This team has not won with these guys and they have been given all the chances in the world. It might be ‘that time”.

My spidey-biz-sense says to live with the sunk cost of them the rest of this season then re-evaluate and make the needed moves in the off season.

Isn’t someone here a real lawyer/attorney? I have to wonder about brand dilution damages against Time Warner over the failure to sell the channel. Or is the real bug-bear the Comcast take-over offer that is still at least 2-3yrs out before it’s done or dead preventing earnest negotiations to sell the channel? no matter it’s fugly at this point.

26. Watford Dodger says:

Michael / Badger – had correspondence with Quas a couple of weeks back during the Ladodgertalk blackout & he is in good spirits & health having just received some good news regarding a serious health issue that had been really troubling him.
    He hoped that all was good with Mark & that nothing was wrong with him & was hoping the site would be back up & running soon. He doesn’t get to see the games like most other Dodger fans and subsequently doesn’t feel he has much to comment on. If you would like to contact him I have the email address – mine is [email protected] and I will pass it on to you.
    Sure he would be pleased to hear from you.

27. Watford Dodger says:

I was watching SVS’s 2nd HR and noted with interest the reaction from the boys when he returned. If that is an unhappy Hanley as some in here suggest then I would like to see him in a good mood. The banter and comradery is there for all to see & Hanley & Puig are bang in the middle of it.
    This team is warming up again – long way to go.

I saw that too W. These guys seem to like each other. A win streak and all will be right.

The Reds offense looks skunkier than ours. That’s what can happen when two of your best go down.

We’ve won a few with several jv’s in the lineup. Turner is up to .269 and Van Slyke .278. Those two, along with Ethier, are the only bench players I want to see. Figgins is down to .236. Romak and FedX are hopeless. Rojas? Not sure. Would rather see what Guerrero can do.

I’m back and forth with the trade Kemp idea grumpy. When he was sulking I was all for it. If he starts to hit, and joins in on the team reverie then I want him in the middle of the lineup. I wonder what he wants? Maybe somebody with clubhouse access can address that. DD has a “submit a question” capability. Maybe we should ask them. Or maybe Mark could ask. Sometimes I get the impression he and Donnie don’t get along. Sometimes I feel like Kemp wants to be the worshipped alpha dog and if that ain’t happening he sulks. I know he is still young enough to have at least 5 more great years if he heals up.

Some talk about Colletti signing old dudes, but the core of our team is not really that old. Yes, every one of them’s best year is behind them but that seems to happen earlier than it used to – before age 27. The middle of our lineup are all between 29-33. That isn’t prime but it isn’t over the hill either.

This should be the year. Start sticking pins in your midget voodoo dolls and send positive vibes to the boys in Blue. It’s almost summer. Time to kick it in gear.

28. ClemsonDodgersRams says:

This is a good team. If SF wasnt so darn hot right now we’d be right there.

LOT of baseball left to be played. Would I like us to be 10 games up now, sure I would, but I beleive if the playoffs started today we’d be in and have Kershaw going. I like our chances there too.

Lets win these next 2 of 3 and start getting well at home!

Billingsley is going to help this club….

29. Pete M says:

I thought I’d throw my 2 cents in and hope for some change…
    AGon – Good hitters don’t forget how to hit.. A slump is just that..
    SVS – Love him off the bench and as a spot starter… He is not an everyday player…
    Bills – Caught his post-op debut.. Not a pretty sight…
    Bison – He’ll be there in the end…
    Looking forward to those dog days of summer when things heat up…

Haren is a magician. How he doesn’t get clobbered amazes me. 88 moh fastball that he often throws right over the middle of the plate and a splitter that often bounces a foot in front of the plate. I saw him pitch here in Arizona and his stuff was much better. If he would keep everything at the knees and on the corners he could get 7 every time out. Gotta give him some kudos. He does a lot with very little. He’s a true pitcher.

Crawford, Piug, Ramirez, Kemp, Gonzalez and Uribe. Firing on all cylinders that’s as good a middle lineup as any. Ef the midgets. I like us.

31. BOB says:

Chicks dig the long ball, but swinging for the fences with a long swing is a just a sign of a short bat.

Tied for a Wild Card spot again. What an accomplishment.

The gnats are on pace for 106 wins. That won’t happen. They aren’t THAT good. But they could be 94-96 games good. So are we. It might, and should, come down to the last week in the season.

Click Here to Leave a Reply