You knew what my headline was going to be.  There’s about a dozen other sites who recap Clayton’s gem nicely, so all I will say is WOW!  The greatest Dodger lefthander got his first no-hitter, which could have easily been a perfect game.  Hanley had to rush the throw to get Dickerson and made a bad one.  I wouldn’t dwell on it.  Clayton picked up Hanley’s cap, handed it to him and told him it was a nice try. Statistically speaking, it was the best game ever pitched by any Dodger pitcher.  In another year or two, no one will dare debate if Koufax or Kershaw is better – it will be clear.  I think the fact that he got his first no-hitter out of the way and did it with such a devastating curveball, will pave the way to Act II, III, IV, V and beyond of The Kershawshank Redemption.

What an amazing game to watch!  I missed the first inning as it was my son’s 15th birthday and we took him out to eat at Steve-PattyBenihana.  The featured photo is my son, Stephen with Clayton Kershaw 5 years ago.  He is now almost 6 feet tall and weighs 180 … towering over his mom.  Since he’s a lefty, I’m waiting for him to take up baseball seriously.   It was cool that Clayton pitched a no-hitter on my son’s birthday.  I’ll always remember that!

The Dodgers are now just 4 back.  It’s ain’t over… by a long shot!

Sizzlin-Summer_1

This again? Well, everyone’s entitled to an opinion.

I’m sure Ramirez has something of a bad taste in his mouth this morning. He, and his poor defensive skills, are part of the story. Maybe this will help in his decision to do the right thing and change positions.

I would like to acknowledge the defensive play that saved the no hitter. Miguel Rojas made a Brooks Robinson like play at third and AGon dug out the throw nicely on a ball that would have been a hit had they not both made the play. Atta boys to both of them.

Seems like only a few days ago we were behind 9.5 games. Wait, it was only a few days ago.

2. Quasimodo says:

I knew there was good reason that I hadn’t ought miss last night’s game and it sure paid off to tip a few beers to catch it all. Oddly, I was the only customer by the time game ended. Yep! And I bought $5 worth of scratchers that paid $9, so all’s good. Sometime today I’ll be setting up an appointment with a liver specialist and thus might just get myself caught up to speed on the subject ‘Me’. The doctor I’m seeing just writes prescriptions and leaves matters to me to go online to find out my chronic ailments. I really like what you did with your site, Mark. Cheers!

3. Quasimodo says:

Well, i’ve been of mind that Kershaw probably has plans to exit baseball before 2019. It appeared that $150 million for 5 years was something he had in his mind when the deal got put into terms.

Well, with recent history as prologue, Kershaw might not make it to the same age Sandy was when he hung ‘em up. Clayton has his money. I can easily see him walking away. He has other priorities in his life.

It’s none of my business Quas but having lost a few family members to alcoholism you may want to revisit your seeming lack of concern for your liver.

• Quasimodo says:

Sure its your business when I relay some matters to those I consider as friends. Its not a lack of concern, its more that I do not know where I stand. It wasn’t so long ago that doctors discussed results of the test that they prescribe and let us in on steps we should fallow. Alcoholism isn’t the issue with me and it wasn’t until yesterday that I was informed that I have hepatitis C and it was relayed to me only when I asked pointblank. And I’m not totally sold that I do have Hep C. At age 15 I had what was then called infectious hepatitis now called hep A. I did also ask if there was scaring on my liver that the ultrasound would show and the doctor said there was not. I’ll get to the bottom of all this before long. But meanwhile my Dodgers viewing comes at the price of a few beers.

I consider you a friend too Quas and as my friend I would expect you to tell me straight when you see me f’n up. You can’t live without a liver and your liver is already stressed beyond normal limits. I know this about alcohol, your body recognizes it as a serious poison and immediately puts all reserves on point to clear it from the system. Anything else going on that needs attention is put on hold while your liver works overtime to clear the compound. If your doctor is not telling you to quit drinking then he needs to be slapped up side the head and fired.

Ok, enough of the lecture. I hope one of these days you and I will have opportunity to sit and drink a Becks NA together. I’ll buy the first round

• Quasimodo says:

Thanks, Badger. I wonder if its possible there is such thing as a doctor that’s efficient at dotting the ‘i’s and crossing the ‘t’s at the opposite end of what info the insurance companies require. The liver specialist comes to town on every Friday so thus I said a week from tomorrow would be ideal for me, but I was then informed the soonest time I could be seen is Aug.8 So I relayed I’d be happy to go to her home office for a sooner appointment but was told the soonest I could be seen would be at the far end of Sept. there. I’ll say all this smells of an inside money-making-machine that doesn’t place health at the center. There’s even television commercials that say if you need a knee or lower-back brace that they’ll do the paperwork and all will be covered. I even received a phone call from an outfit telling me I can be fitted for a knee brace. I’m gonna do some checking out to see if liver specialist are really so swamped.

4. idahoal says:

What a gem. Only two balls hit solidly the whole game. Also AJ did a great job. Lot of the pitches were in the dirt. Also A J took his mask and helmet off and laid them by home plate before he congratulated Kershaw. Smart man.

WordPress had me listed with Badger as my middle name. I didn’t do that. At least I don’t recall doing that. I wouldn’t post with my real name here until Mark fixed the problem. He did and the problem went away. Not sure what’s going on with you David. David Johanson. Not of Dolls. (Isn’t that one Johansen?)

The team seems to be rallying. The middle of our lineup is bound with studs. If Gordon can continue getting on (40% last night) we can win 60% the rest of the way. That would be 92.4 wins. If we win 62% we win 94. That is doable. Heck, I believe 96 wins is doable, but as you know I’m the optimist.

• David Johanson says:

Yes it is Badger but when you always get called Johnson, who’s going to look at the e vs the o.

Kersh lost his perfect game because of Hanley’s error, but Kersh’s no hitter was saved by Rojas/Agone. Things balance out, as they always do. Hopefully Hanley homers a couple times in SD so we can take minimum 2 of 3.

Speaking of balancing out, we seem to be waking up, and the nocal trash is finally coming back to reality. Only 4 games out!!

Hey, Mark, speaking of your son, how’s he doing after that car wreck? Seems like he’s fully recovered?

Maybe his error will serve to motivate Hanley to make up for the error by getting white hot with the bat. And maybe it won’t.

Agree fully with Badger’s first post at the top. As long as he stays healthy, I have little doubt that Kershaw’s overall career will surpass that of Koufax. But once Koufax found command and control he jumped into a category far above anyone else I have ever seen. It’s a shame that he wasn’t allowed to develop his craft in the minors, and also a shame that the medical technology of today didn’t exist when he was pitching. Mark you’re entitled to your opinion, you’ll just never get me to agree with it. And I sure did know what your headline would feature, and I was certain that the content would be pretty much what it was. Thought about anticipating you in a post last night, but decided I was better off going to sleep and waiting to reply to the inevitable.

Definitely a birthday your son will never forget, and you either. And belated as it is, wish him a happy birthday from me.

“The Dodgers are now just 4 back. It’s ain’t over… by a long shot!” I believe some of us have been saying (hoping) that for quite a while. But I’m realistic enough to understand that the fat lady hasn’t sung, and that it’s still a long way to the finish line. For me, the overriding factor will be health. If everybody stays healthy, then I STRONGLY BELIEVE (not quite as strong as having “faith”) the Dodgers will win the division by a healthy margin. Over .600 baseball is clearly possible, even .667 (2:1) is reachable. But it all depends upon health, and maybe a little luck.

OK, Beckett taught Kershaw how to throw a no hitter. Maybe they can both teach Greinke and/or Ryu to do the same thing.

Nobody will ever do what Koufax did. If he were pitching by today’s pitching standards he would win 25 every year. Or at least turn over leads to the bullpen in the 8th 25 times. Probably 30 times. He had more complete games in one year than Kershaw will likely get in his entire career.

I like this team. LA likes this team. Every ML city wants to see this team when they come to town.

My confidence level is high.

Everybody else was pitching on that same mound and nobody else did what he did.

Yes. Short career. Koufax made the HOF on about 6 years worth of superior pitching. Like I said, had he today’s pitching schedules he might have pitched til he was 40.

7. the truth hurts says:

Maybe Hanley and his error saved the no hitter for Kershaw. Don’t assume he throws a perfect game if Hanley makes the throw. Everything happens for a reason.

@ David – o or e – I know Danes look. I had a good friend years ago named Christensen. He was in the Danish underground in WWII. He was dang fussy about that e thing.

Yep, we are playing well. If all will stay reasonably healthy, we can win this thing.

Just a quick note, The standings that Marks site is displaying is wrong. The Giants have one more loss and the Dodgers are only 4 games back not 4.5. Not that it matters but I just wanted to point that out.

10. BOB says:

Not much better than arriving home after a business dinner last night and turning on MLBTV to see a Dodger game playing which of course can only mean that one of the starting pitchers is throwing a no-hitter, and it was Kershaw! HAPPY HAPPY! Screw Dodger TV.

Nice to see that the first thing that Ellis did after the game was over was to decide to throw his mask behind home plate before going to the mound. The Dodgers need this level of mental attention to mount a surge.

Never will understand why the Dodger “DH” was still playing shortstop in the 7th inning.

Now hopefully the Dodgers can continue their winning ways on the road and sweep the lowly Padres because KC is red hot..

SURGING?

11. Watford Dodger says:

Nice pics Mark. Glad your son is ok after the crash. I’m guessing he gets his looks from his mother. Kershaw, Grienke, Ryu, Beckett & Haren = best rotation in baseball. Is it me or is Kemp looking a bit better since he started playing every day? Uribe back for weekend & get ” One Ear ” hitting again at AAA so he is ready to play the second half. Things are looking up. BTW – Vin was brilliant in the 9th last night.

12. David Gonzalez says:

Yes WDodger, but I’m sure that the FO is kicking itself for not getting Tanaka. Tanaka in the 4 spot would have guaranteed at the minimum a WS appearance. Oh well. Somebody on sports center called tanaka the best pitcher in baseball. Sure the dude is a beast and has the nice record to show, but I’ll call east coast biased. Every baseball show analyst I saw last night gave the impression that this was the best no hitter ever.

Hanley shit the bed, bad.

The Giants are who I thought they were a team that had a hot spurt early in the season, but just in like horse racing the studs finish strong. Now LA needs to take care of some housekeeping to make a strong push. Matty seems to have begun to think like the veteran he is and do what’s best for the team instead of moping. I fully expect him to end the year with a .285/22/75 line. He will be back he’s too good not to.

13. Quasimodo says:

I hope we all keep in mind how Hanley makes the lineup as potent as can be. While I’m not able to quote stats that show Dodgers are a better team when Hanley plays, I am able to bet that over the complete sample of ‘when Hanley is in the lineup Dodgers play better’. And Watford, its even obvious to me that Kemp is finding his slot. Mattingly spoke something about these Dodgers being selfish. Maybe he was right and these guys acted accordingly. It would be a real shame to let what should be the happiest time of their lives slip into less.

• Mark TImmons says:

If Hanley hits like the MVP-Level Hanley of last year, we can tolerate his lack of D, but he is currently hitting .261. He has to be at .300+ to make up for his lack of D. I just don’t think he can stay healthy…

MLB a Trade Rumors top 10 Free Agents for 2015 –

#1 – Hanley Ramirez

2-10 – a bunch of other guys

Make no mistake about it, somebody will pay him. He is still 30 and will hit for 3-5 more years. He won’t play SS everyday after this year but he will paid to hit, not to field.

• Quasimodo says:

Kershaw has never displayed any form of selfishness to his teammates. I don’t think he’s able hold inside his self his infectious cheerfulness. Its likely my ranting stems from little more than just witnessing something great happen last night, but it sure feels it was more than enough fuel to feed the fire. This isn’t just a weak maybe and if there’s one person here that has more faith than he’ll admit to, it’s Mark Timmons!

I haven’t checked the standings here, but on my At Bat app on my iPhone the Dodgers and midgets both have the same records they had before yesterday’s games, and the Dodgers are 5 games out. On the Dodgers website the records are correct and the Dodgers are 4 games out. But unless I was dreaming last night (I’d call it a nightmare), the Dodgers won and the midgets lost, and we’re 4 games out.

Badger, if memory serves, Koufax had 11 shutouts one year. Also used to pitch well over 300 innings, except in the years he had injuries. And unlike Kershaw who seems to have suffered in that last game against the Cardinals due in large part to his high innings count for the year (a mere 259), and his playoff start on 3 days rest, Koufax managed to shutout the hard hitting Twins 2-0 on TWO DAYS REST in the 7th game of the 1965 World Series.

If memory serves, in 1962 when Koufax went out with Reynaud’s Phenomenon in July, he had 209 strikeouts. That was about at the midpoint of the season. Might well have become the only pitcher to strike out over 400 if he remained healthy the entire year. Maybe Mark was too young during that era to appreciate just how good Koufax was. I have always had the feeling that he was the best pitcher ever.

Ernie Banks, Willie Mays, Willie Stargell all said he was the toughest they ever faced. Pete Rose hit .171 against him. He was the most dominant I’ve ever seen. He did in two years several things Kershaw won’t do in ten years. Not sure why this keeps coming up. Maybe Kershaw is Marks son’s favorite player? Maybe Mark believes Kershaw will have 5 no hitters, win 4 Cy’s, strike out 383 in a year, win pitching’s triple crown 4 times, complete 138 games and throw 41 shutouts all before his 30th birthday. He does all that and I will concede the point.

15. Quasimodo says:

There are still several who say Joe Louis was the greatest heavyweight boxer ever but a large majority gives that crown to Muhammad Ali. They said that computers (at a time that we all wrongly gave too much credit to a gadget we knew nothing about) had Rocky Marciano winning against Ali. But Ali had to lose against ‘Smokin’ Joe Frazier before he was able to figure how to beat Joe. I’m of the opinion that Joe Frazier was the most gallant from this bunch and the toughest. Even though Louis fought Marciano and Frazier fought Ali, their times as champ was when they were the best. I’m sure if this discussion of Koufax vs Kershaw was with fans of other teams, it would dilute even further who holds the all time crown and everybody would be correct at the same time as being wrong. Peace.

16. Mark TImmons says:

Clayton Kershaw is 26 and has two Cy Young Awards and finished 2nd in another one.

Sandy Koufax didn’t win a Cy Young until he was 27 years old.

At age 26, there is no argument that Kershaw is better than Koufax was at that same age…. a lot better!

Why do you old guys insist on comparing the 30 year-old Koufax with the 26 year-old Kershaw? The 30 year-old Koufax was better, but the 26 year-old Kershaw was also better.

Let it play out, but unless Clayton has a horrible injury, he will go down in history as the best Dodgers pitcher – EVER!

17. Quasimodo says:

Its too bad that Dodgers don’t play @ Giants till July 25 as it’d be cool if Dodgers were able to take the lead from Giants directly. You’re not quite the spring chicken yourself, Mark. You and I are about the same age. That photo you posted of Badger tells the story he takes very good care of himself because he looks half his age while you appear like you may have a few arm-wrestling trophies. Myself I started out like Jean Valjean but bloomed out with a likeness closer to one of Yugo’s other heroes. Tomorrow my days plan will start with seeing what joining the local gym will cost. Its not that I’m deserving of good health, but if its on the menu its best I make it my order.

• Mark TImmons says:

You are deserving – throw that negative stuff out. Turn it off!

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let not this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Koufax began to turn it around in 1961 at the age of 25, and really turned it on at 26 in 1962, but unfortunately that season was cut short in July by Reynaud’s Phenomenon, otherwise he may have struck over 400 (209 strikeouts in July when he went on the DL), and likely would have won his first Cy Young (when by the way, there was only one award for both leagues). So even though his year was cut short, I will contend that Koufax was better than Kershaw at age 26, and certainly so at age 27 in 1963.

I’m old, and you’re semi-old, and Badger is probably in better shape than both of us. But like I said earlier, Kershaw is likely going to have a longer and more productive career, but Koufax he is not, nor will he ever be. And that’s the same argument I make with Met fans who tell me that Tom Seaver was better than Koufax. Certainly he had a longer and more productive career, but never ever was he as good as Koufax in his prime.

• Mark TImmons says:

I am a young whippersnapper. My kids are trying to get me to dye my hair and beard. They say I look 15 years younger when I do, but I don’t want or need to pick up chicks. ;) Physically, heart and general health I am in great shape – I just have arthritis issues which I manage by eliminating gluten and keeping my weight down. I was 225 at 18 and am now 240, which I would like to get to 225 but I’ll take it.

Some things can’t really be compared. I’ll give you this: There may never be a pitcher who was as dominant over a 4 or 5 year period than Koufax – MAY NOT. But, there’s something to be said for being very good for a long period of time like Maddux or Seaver. We just caught a glimpse of how good Kershaw can be – he will get a lot better as he gets close to 30 and slightly above. Injury is the issue, but so far, there is no indication he will have those problems. He is legendary in his workout regimen.

Right about now, he is the most respected player in baseball by his peers. That speaks volumes.

If you don’t use stats, then what you say could very well be true. Good science requires keen observations. Or you could just make up your mind something is true and ignore the evidence. A lot of that going on the last several years.

It’s a spirited debate. I wonder if a Babe Ruth could hit .393 against today’s pitchers.

I’m still at my college football playing weight. It’s just arranged a bit differently. I too have arthritis issues (knees) and rotators cuff tears in both shoulders. I’m managing it all. Could probably still bench 200 but won’t risk it. Not climbing any more 14ers cuz of the knees but did 2 (and 2 13ers) post 60. I live next to a wilderness area so I do a lot of walking now, not much running anymore but some on the flat trails. Blood panels are fine. Been a vegetarian for 44 years and quit drinking years ago. I am a firm believer in positive thinking but as a human struggle with it. Thought, action, result. I read somewhere 80% of human thought is negative. If, as a species, we could just reduce that to 50% it make a huge difference. If we could flip those numbers, what a world it would be.

Glad to hear you are heading to the gym Quas. Small steps at first but stick with it. You’re worth it.

As Kershaw ages I would encourage him to do what Maddux did. And that would be start throwing at a plate that is 24″ wide. It helped prolong Maddux’ career, it should help Kershaw.

DBrim at MSTDD with an excellent piece that explains the science behind what I’ve been saying all year – it’s a long season and history is prologue.

Those guys in or entering their prime may inch forward and those leaving their prime will likely inch backward. We have an excellent team. We need tweaking, and I look forward to what management has in mind, but I do like what I see out there. I’ve liked it all along.

Nicely done DBrim. And thank you.

Click Here to Leave a Reply