After the Reds beat the Dodgers in Game 4 to split the series, Skip Schumaker had a little to say that spoke volumes:

“[....the Dodgers] are a very good team over there — that’s a very talented, dangerous team. That lineup is very good. When certain guys want to play, it’s even better.”

You can analyze until you are paralyzed, but the reality of the matter is that even Ray Charles can see the Dodgers don’t always show up to play.  Too many pretty boys with big contracts or boys who want big contracts.  He went on to say:

“I don’t have the pulse of the clubhouse now. Clayton Kershaw is one of the two best guys I’ve ever been around, him and [St. Louis Cardinals ace Adam] Wainwright.”

• Adrian Gonzalez looks to be home run happy, trying to pull everything, even in the face of a shift.
  • Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier and Carl Crawford are disgruntled, confused and unhappy with their station in the outfield.
  • Hanley Ramirez is bordering on Bad Hanley and he is Butcher Hanley at shortstop.

Insanity is doing what you have always done and expecting different results.  So, Ned and Donnie are you insane?  Whoops!  Nevermind….

This team is done (as it is currently constructed) – Stick a fork in it!

Source of Quotes:  Bill Shaikin – The LA Times

fathers-day-2014

1. ClemsonDodgersRams says:

I dont beleive so at all. You play 162 for a reason. Come the end of the season they will be right there.

They havent found their groove yet, but they will.

2. Anonymous says:

I think Skip was referring to Kemp. I have been really disgusted with Kemp’s behavior this year. Getting himself kicked out of the game on Wednesday after arguing balls/strikes…that was his 5th consecutive strikeout. I believe that he is pouting for a variety of reasons: one of which is the fact that Puig has become the darling of the team, thus rendering Kemp as just another player. Kemp used to be the golden boy and he sulks like a scolded teenager. He rarely plays heady baseball. Is he a cancer on the team? He seems to have problems with every coaching staff.

I agree with Clemson. Some were giving up this time last year. I never quit. Not in my nature. We have been playing with as many as 5 backups in our lineup at the same time. In a critical situation yesterday we sent up two minor leaguers back to back! Of course the team won’t win like that.

If the “pretty boys with big contracts” continue to get hurt or hit .250 then we can make the necessary changes. But JUST LIKE LAST YEAR I say let’s play all 162 before we quit.

There’s 2 wild card spots.

As long as we’re hot at the end, we can get in and with our pitching staff, take care of business. We have time to get our “pretty boys ” to wake up

Go Kings Go tonight!

Heard on MLB Radio ——- since May 1, the DiamondBacks have a better record than the Dodgers.

Heck, without looking, I bet Houston has a better record than the Dodgers since that time.

This team will not do much if Hanley, Agon, and Ethier keep hitting .250.

Seems like League keeps getting rolled out there — trying to find his stuff. Like it is still Spring Training for him.

6. Watford Dodger says:

Agree with all of your takes on the above. Long way to go and Bobby it’s all about momentum come the business end of the season. These guys are too good to not get on a roll. I’m not sure where all the hate for Kemp is coming from – I’m not seeing all the petulance that others are seeing. He is having to cone to terms with being a lesser player which can’t be easy. When this team gets hot everyone will know about it .

I guarantee no one has a better track record of not quitting than me, but I won’t abide players that don’t play to 100% of their ability and hustle all the time. If they don’t, they have quit and if you refuse to quit, you can say your not a quitter, but you might be a loser.

I still say that this them, as it is currently constructed, will not win. Changes will have to be made. The injuries to older players is part of the equation that needs changed.

This team can win with defense and pitching and a good clubhouse – the defense is deplorable in two key defensive positions: SS and CF! Changes HAVE to be made in order to win.

DODGERS REINSTATE A.J. ELLIS FROM DL, OPTION TIM FEDEROWICZ

LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today reinstated catcher A.J. Ellis (right ankle sprain) from the 15-day disabled list and optioned catcher Tim Federowicz to Triple-A Albuquerque.

Ellis has been limited to just 15 games this year due to left knee surgery and the right ankle sprain, batting .170 with two doubles and an RBI. He last appeared in a game on May 24 at Philadelphia.

9. BOB says:

I agree with Skip and he was obviously referring to more than one player. We can all guess who and my guesses are Kemp, Ethier, Crawford, Gonzalez who is now playing like he did in Boston during 2012, and maybe Hanley, who is currently playing no better than your all time favorite player Turner.

Current WAR for 11 players with the most ABs and extrapolated WAR for 2014. I had hoped at the beginning of the year that all of the starters would achieve a WAR for the year of at least 2.0.

1. Puig 2.80, 6.67 2. Van Slyke 1.50, 3.57 3. Gordon 1.30, 3.10 4. Hanley 1.20, 2.86 5. Turner 1.20, 2.86 6. Uribe 1.00, 2.38

7. Gonzo 0.80, 1.91 8. Crawford 0.60, 1.43 9. Butera 0.60, 1.43

10. Ethier (0.02), (0.05)
    11. Kemp (1.10), (2.62)

Like Badger says Kemp should just STFU

Defense up the middle is of paramount importance so unless Hanley is moved to 3rd we have a black whole up you know what. With AJ off the snide the only scrub in the line-up tonight is Figs. What you see is what you get. This home stand would be a good time to get our first 4 game winning streak of the year.

Why do people think Hanley can play 3B? He is bad as a SS as his fielding % is .967, but it’s worse as a 3B – .958! And then you have the attitude thing, so there is that…

He has to go! Can’t be fixed!

The extrapolated WARs are interesting but I contend they aren’t accurate. ig – No way Van Slyke ends the year with nearly twice the WAR as AGon and Butera higher than, well, anybody.

What continues to cripple this club has nothing to do with effort. It has to do with nagging injuries. Maybe that’s who these guys are now. If that’s the case then we can clean house at the end of the year. I REALLY like the middle of our order. But I haven’t seen it at 100% yet. As everyone here knows my preference early was Guerrero at second, Hanley at third and somebody like Arruebarrena (and we got him) at short and Gordon subbing all over the diamond. Didn’t happen that way. What happened is Crawford, Uribe, Ellis all go down (now maybe Hanley?) Kemp loses his mojo, Gonzalez goes into a slump, Guerrero has his ear bitten off and we end up playing minor leaguers all over the place. I never heard of Jamie Romak before he was called up and we send him to win a game against Aroldis Chapman? Absurd!

Since I haven’t seen this team at full strength I refuse to pass judgment on it. Maybe I never will see them all working at 100%. If that’s the case then I wii be all for retooling.

I haven’t – and I’ve seen nearly every game. Now there is a lack if fundamentals like backing up bases, but I see that all over the league. And there are Matt Kemp’s brain farts on the bases, but for the most part I have not seen lack of effort.

Click Here to Leave a Reply