Colorado Rockies v Los Angeles Dodgers

• Carl Crawford shut down again.
  • Hanley Ramirez has a hurt finger… again.
  • C-Bill gone for the year… probably forever!
  • Juan Uribe is ready to start rehab.
  • Justin Turner recovering.
  • Yada, Yada, Yada!

The Dodgers had better plan for life without Hanley and CC, because both are injured more than they are healthy.  In Ramirez’ case, he’s always going to get hit with those inside pitches because of the way he attacks the pitch and the way they pitch to him.  He’s always going to be injured for that BIG GAME!  When he gets healthy again, the Dodgers should shop him to an AL team.  He’s getting hot, so sell high.

I think Matt Kemp is growing into his new role:  Leftfielder and #5 Hitter…. and maybe ditching the Hollywood act!  It’s time to grow up and be a 3-Tool Player.

OK, to all of you who have trouble posting:  All usernames have been deleted now.  You will have to re-register (15 seconds) and create your new profile and name.  If you have any problems e-mail me at mark@ladodgertalk.com

Image compliments of Stephen Dunn & Getty Images

americas-water-company

1. BOB says:

There have periodically been discussions here regarding faith and hope in regards to the secular subject of baseball. Used in that context, those terms seem somewhat out of place to me, and I agree with Mark’s definitions and therefore will never have faith in the Dodgers. However, I do periodically have hope in the successfulness of the Dodgers as a team. Even with a dash of hope I still reserve the right to bash them, and criticize their performances, especially when they demonstrate, once again, that all they need is some Aderall.

Badger has been extolling us to have hope, that the Dodgers are a summer team, and that there is not yet any need to worry. What proof is there that the Dodgers are a summer team? Are they the Boys of Summer? Do they all have a mild case of arthritis and their joints, muscles, and especially hamstrings, will loosen up in the heat? Does last year’s performance guarantee the same surge this summer?

Regardless of whether any of these reasons are correct I think that there still should be some hope and that hope should be based upon the Dodger player potential and the WEAK schedule during August and September. Yes, the Dodgers should be able to make a strong surge toward the playoffs.

The current cumulative weighted average winning percentages of the teams that the Dodgers will be playing during the rest of the regular season are as follows: June .502 July .504 August .487 September .488

The Dodgers currently are 5 games above .500. If they can win tonight behind Kershaw and sweep the lowly Padres then they will be at 9 games above .500 and primed for the surge.

My “Hope Gauge” is as follows: That on June 30th they be 9 games above .500 (8-4 in the remaining games)

During July the Dodgers play 3 good team, 3 weak teams, and one average team. That on July 31st they be 11 games above .500 (13-11)

During August the Dodgers play 2 good teams, 4 weak teams, and 1 average team. That on August 31st they be 15 games above .500 (16-12)

During September the Dodgers play 1 good team (6 games with the giants), 4 weak teams, and one average team. That on September 28th they be 20 games above .500 (15-10)

Finish the season with a record of 92-72

It is time to hope for the 2014 surge and peak in October!

And if the Dodgers do not reach 90 wins with the remaining schedule then Donnie should be fired!

• Michael says:

I have more hope than I have in awhile with us trimming 41/2 games of the lead to sit 5 games back going into play today. Maybe Matt has pulled his head out and is at least contributing now. If Hanley is day to day I would like to see Arruebarrena called up, Romak has come up to bat in too many crucial situations already. While we’re trimming the fat send Perez home to smoke dope with his dog.

I have faith that management will make the necessary moves when the time comes. I hope they won’t need to overhaul the roster or fire anybody.

I’m thinking this is a summer team because most of them are seasoned pros and know how and when to bring the hammer down. I, perhaps naively, trust the talent level on this team. What I have less faith in is the training staff. Maybe it’s an LA thing but it seems that we have lead the league in DL appearances for about a decade now. I believe Crawford will come back ok. Ramirez is just bruised but he does appear to be an accident waiting to happen. Same with Puig. It would appear Ethier has become a singles hitter and has forgotten how to run the bases. I think he got soft while doing that modeling gig. Gordon is hot and cold. Is Perez still here? Guerrero – wrap his head up in bandages and put him in the game. Lose Romak. Hire a Swedish masseuse for Turner.

I finally got in but the password assigned to me looks like a 12 piece Scrabble game. I’m afraid to attempt to change it cuz I don’t trust I would do it right.

• Michael says:

I successfully changed my password, reset Safari [cleared browser] and logged back in with no glitches. White Sox whipping on SF and Royals beat Tigers in Detroit again for their 10th win in a row. Kershaw tonight and life is good.

2. Bobby Singh says:

Meanwhile, great news. The sf Trash is down 7-2 in the 5th on the SouthSide.

If Kersh does his job we could be 4 out before we all go to sleep tonight.

3. David Johanson says:

I feel us finally getting back on track, Hanley going down again should not be that big of and deal. Lose a little offense and gain a little defense. Can’t wait to see what logo I am…….

4. Watford Dodger says:

Im in !!!! Finally got through the FBI incripted firewall. I must like this site – just spent about 3 hours of my life trying to work it out. Anyway, here’s to a new beginning. The Dodgers are doing ok but I’ve got to say that The Beard nearly gave me a heart attack last night. He was lucky to get that double play after walking the 1st two batters in the 8th. He & Perez are not pitching well. Kenley doesn’t look right either. We are missing Withrow. Time to change things up in the pen I think. Also a quick thank you to Mark for helping me sort things out.

I have faith in my hope.

If the Dodgers can sell high on Hanley, I’m all for it. There is always the risk that Hanley might get hot in a contract run down the stretch, but if the haul in such a deal brings back some valuable pieces, I say go for it.

Wilson also had me on the edge of my seat last night. Perez and Maholm need to go. I’ll take my chances with Yimi Garcia and Paco. With the former two I have no hope, with latter two I have faith that there might be some hope. And of course, a deal or two might also contribute to a pen solution. Crawford? I don’t have a clue as to whether I should have any hope, and I certainly don’t have any faith. Nice piece to have when he’s healthy, but that’s clearly becoming problematical.

Maybe the Dodgers are a summer team. But maybe it all really depends on whether they are a healthy team.

6. BOB says:

I’m glad that the Dodgers signed their first round pick and now that the signing bonus has been revealed, $500,000 above slot, the rest of the draft makes sense. Logan must have really wanted this guy in order to make the other seemingly dumb picks, at the time, that were necessary in order to afford this guy. I hope that he makes it to the bigs in 3 years. Some people said that he should have been drafted in the low teens and the Dodgers jumped when he was still available at #22?. Hopefully a position player, a couple of relievers, and also a utility guy develop from this year’s draft. Guarded hope regarding Dodger player development.

Spell check is back! Cool!

Faith in hope. That’s inspiring Brooklyn. I just hope my faith is justified. I was rewarded last year. I can feel it’s about to happen again. Hallelujah!

I’m thinking, if one guy from each draft makes it to the Major League club, wouldn’t that be successful drafting? That’s one rookie every year. Add another from the international draft and that would keep youth on the roster. I would like to see more of course. Like 2 from each.

Hanley back already? Keep your eye on the ball H. Now, about Puig and that awkward sliding…….

Pederson with 3 more Ks. Paco with a BS AND a W. That shouldn’t be allowed. You blow the save and the team scores to bail you out, the guy that was in line for the W should get it. Just my opinion.

7. Quasimodo says:

Great face lift here, Mark. Not that there was anything wrong with the way it was. So I’m thinking I’ll be heading across the street to watch tonight’s game. The only thing wrong with this idea is its a sports-bar and showing sport events are the reason they charge $12 per pitcher of beer. At least the beer is Dos Equis dark (my favorite). I can stretch 2 pitchers for a game but could easily pound 3. In 2012 Dodgers started like they wouldn’t have to look back and then after losing 6 strait they found themselves still in 1st of both leagues and soon slipped further down. There’s been too much disappointing talk from fans that think this team is unable to pull all at the same end of the rope. Yes, time is shortening but I do not doubt the fun is about to shift. Cheers!

Right at this moment, in San Antonio — the Spurs are having their party, first on the River Walk — now entering the arena and the PARTY upon the platform with a full house of fans.

9. Campy says:

Kemp is hot right now. Two more hits and RBI tonight and his BA is up to .274. He is batting .480 (12-for-25) with two doubles, two homers and nine RBI since June 12. All trade talks have been put on hold. Even Agon has a hit tonight. Get it done and we are 4 back.

• t.o.dave says:

What did the camera catch in the dugout after the inning of Hanley’s error? I thought I read Clayton’s lips saying, “Let it go!” Seemed to be directed at whatever Hanley was animated and involved in but that was a split second camera shot with Hanley’s back turned. We can only guess. He was replaced defensively though.

• Quasimodo says:

I know some will hold the ‘perfect game’ against HanRam. I do not. I’ll bet even that kid who pitched his 1st ‘no hitter’ doesn’t hold anything against Hanley. The fact of the matter is there isn’t anything more important than the win. Tonight’s win was obtained with this team having fun and I’m of mind that these Dodgers will keep the fun a coming. Cheers!

Funny thing, I was thinking after the Dodgers jumped way out ahead that it might be a good idea to remove Hanley for defensive purposes. Of course, we’ll never know, but maybe his error preserved the no hitter. Change the timeline and you never know what might have happened. Badger, that makes perfect sense that the pitcher who was in line for the win before the blown save should get it.

Good to see the Agon and Kemp’s bats coming alive.

• t.o.dave says:

Badger made a good point (as he always does) that the pitcher in line for the win should receive it when the closer blows the save but the team rallies to win.

So, why not give a perfectly pitched game to a guy like Clayton when he doesn’t give up a walk or hit? PERFECTLY PITCHED GAME

11. Watford Dodger says:

That was fantastic. The hairs on the back ok my neck were standing up. I’ve seen two Dodger no hitters in a few weeks. Unbelievable. Hanley will be gutted but Brooklyn makes a great point about the time line. Btw – how’s the knee Brooklyn? You up to full speed yet? 15 Ks as well – wow. Now if only we can get all the starters to go the full 9, then we won’t have to use the pen at all. Summer on the way and the momentum grows…..

12. Quasimodo says:

I’m glad I decided to tip a few beers tonight and caught this game. It’d of been a shame to miss it. But all felt good before, during and after and oddly it was just me and the bartender (Peter) when ‘Kid K’ through tonight’s last pitch. Also only drank 1 pitcher of beer.

13. Pete M says:

For the last month or so there was the gnashing of teeth and mumbling of expletives. Get rid of this guy and that guy… Everyone sucks… You know what??? 4 games out!!! Patience is a virtue and seldom used in blogs… With that, is it Beckett’s or KimChi’s turn for a no-no???

Click Here to Leave a Reply