But, hope is really wishful thinking.  If you said you had faith in this team, I would have you committed, but hope… now that’s OK!  I get that we all hope the Dodgers get their act together, but face the facts – this team has been mediocre, at best, since the beginning of last season, except for the magical 42-8 run created by Puig and Ramirez’s arrival to LA.  That is a once in a lifetime thing that won’t happen again anytime soon.

We all saw some nice things last night from Clayton, Matt, AJ, Hanley and others, but I look at the big picture and it’s not so good with aging, injury-prone players.  Tom Verducci of Sports Illustrated wrote an insightful article in SI this week that gives you a glimpse of the Dodgers soul.  It won’t be online for a few days, but here are a few quotes:

• This is a tough team to manage.”  – Andre Ethier
  • The manager doesn’t change the way you play, but he affects the attitude, the whole atmosphere.”  – Don Mattingly
  • The Dodgers may have the most talent, so what you root for is internal drama.”  – NL GM
  • You better have your mind right or you’re going to be embarrassed.”  – Don Mattingly
  • I enjoy Puig, but he drives me crazy.”  – Don Mattingly
  • On having four starting outfielders making a combined $429 million: “It’s not a good issue, honestly.” – Don Mattingly

That pretty much sums it up.  I have great hope, but I don’t have faith in this bunch.  They need tweaked. (not twerked, like Miley Cyrus)  The question is:  Does Ned have it in him?

fathers-day-2014

I understand your point, and in this particular post I think it is well made. I believe that over time talent finds it’s way to the surface. We lost our best hitter last year with a deliberately well placed fastball to the ribs, and our Cy Young winner folded like a 10 high. Bad timing for both but stuff happens. We made it to the NLCS because we deserved to be there. Does this year’s team have the heart required to do it again? I can’t answer that. Nobody here can. But yes, I sure hope they do.

6 weeks to the deadline. If we are still barely over .500 in 5 weeks? – show us what you got Ned.

Was watching the Rockies-giants on the ipad. 4-3 sf, top of 9, 2 out. Pagan misplays a basehit into a inside the park 2 run HR, and Rockies win it 5-4.

We win tonight, we’re only 6.5 out. PLENTY of time to take some of the Kings mojo and wake this team up!

We haven’t played to our capabilities but we’re still a Wild Card. Have a feeling at some time we can start firing on all cylinders and make a run.
    A few so called fans have raised the white flag before the battle has even begun. Since when does some sports hack view mean shit; it’s just his opinion and we all have one of those. Yeah I’m gonna believe what Mattingly says. What, he’s the scarecrow from the “Wizard of Oz” and finally got a brain?

Bobby, thanks for the info. I’m shocked to hear that a midget misplayed a ball that cost them a game. I thought only the Dodgers did stuff like that.

Mark, I absolutely agree, hope is wishful thinking. In fact, I think I’ve said the same thing on this site in the past. I probably said something like I “hoped” the Dodgers would do something, rather than I “think” they’re going to do it. I probably haven’t used the word “faith” to express my belief that this team will turn it around, but I’m sure I’ve used the word “confident”, which is less absolute. So while I’m very confident that the Dodgers can turn this season around, I also recognize that all sorts of things could go wrong, and that my confidence could be shattered. More succinctly, my confidence is tinged with the reality that Murphy is always lurking in the shadows.

We probably don’t have a Puig that’s going to come along and wake up the team, but we do have a more experienced Puig, who I think is a better player now than he was a year ago. And if Hanley doesn’t wake up like he did last year, maybe Matt Kemp does. Or maybe they both wake up to a lesser degree than Hanley did last year, but combine to make a still very significant impact going forward. And there are so many other things that could happen, including call-ups and trades. And although he’s not a world beater, the fact that A.J. Ellis has only played in 16 games this year certainly hasn’t helped, given his replacements. Fact is, given the time of year with nearly 100 games left, the Dodgers are well within striking distance, not to mention they also have a second target called the Wild Card. And I’m going to repeat it for the umpteenth time, the Dodgers do not have to go 42-8 to catch the midgets. They were 9.5 out last year when they started their run, and ended up winning by 11 games.

It is good to hear that you do have “great hope”. That’s all that can be expected of anyone. Hope does indeed spring eternal.

“things could go wrong”

They already have. Every team goes though ups and downs. Arizona was down early and they have played better of late. SF started great but will hit bumps. The Dodgers have had some bad breaks. The worm will turn.

Two pitches in (both strikes) called balls. Haren doesn’t get those it could be a long night. 1/2 inning and already 3 bad calls. One we got back.

HOPE — I rest my total HOPE that is left inside of me with TONIGHT.

The Giants lost . . . and if the Dodgers win . . . they still have a chance.

Sooooooo if they can win tonight — my HOPE shines on them and they will win.

It they Lose — it is over. Gone. Lost. Hang ‘em up. Call up the kids and sell off the vets.

Bats are on Collmenter. 85 mph fastball. I think I could still catch up to that. Maybe not.

Brenly, hate his homerisms, just said Matt Kemp has slider bat speed. Actually makes sense. He’s not up to speed yet. Taking his sweet ass time.

8. BOB says:

Giant’s bullpen record 17-7
    Dodger’s bullpen record 4-14, 30th worst number of wins in MLB, second most losses in MLB, 104 walks, third most in MLB, WHIP 1.39, 23rd worst in MLB

Ned, you know what to work on. Just do not trade real prospects for old relievers.

Figgins to the DL and Triunfel up. There’s been a few opps for Guerrero ‘s debut, but, unfortunate weirdness prevents that. How many times in MLB history has a player had his opportunity delayed by having his ear bit off by a teammate? Odd circumstances have surrounded this team so far. It should be a different 2/3 of the season starting soon.

Note to Kenley – keep that cheese at the knees please. And after throwing so many pitches last night, why was he in there? What if we need him in a close game tomorrow?

Well it’s quiet in here so I’m checking out.

11. Watford Dodger says:

Good win after being behind. Kenley not got his best stuff but Wilson did ok.
    Haren working out ok & another Dodger pitcher that can handle the bat. Still he spends most nights watching our sterile offense so he probably thought he’d better do it himself.
    Still hopeful.

Kenley’s in there because the Dodgers don’t trust Chris Perez, or Paul Maholm. Which begs the question. Why are they still on the team? Yimi Garcia got lit up for 5 runs recently, but overall has done well, especially considering he’s pitching at ALBQ. And why not Paco to replace Maholm?

Sooner or later something has to give, because they can’t keep running Jansen out there day after day.

Click Here to Leave a Reply