• Zach has been struggling a little of late and really didn’t pitch well last night.  I’ll chalk it up to butterflies and an amped-up Royals team!  There are peaks and valleys in every pitchers’ season.  Nothing to be concerned about… yet!
  • How about another no-no tonight, Clayton?
  • Scott Schebler hit #14 last night – he is interesting (not yet calling him a great prospect, but he could develop).
  • Juan Uribe is ready after going 2-5 last night.
  • Kyle Farmer is up to .273 after his promotion to RC.
  • Corey Seager is at .353 after a 4-6 night.  His work is finished at RC – move him to Chatt, DeJon!

Photo Credit:  Denny Medley/USA TODAY Sports

You know what I respect about Greinke – even when he doesn’t have his best stuff he doesn’t try to nibble or beg guys to give him an out. He goes right after hitters. He’s the real deal.

Good for those lower minor league players. It’s a good thing to replenish the system. Move them up. Now, about who can actually help THIS year…..

I heard mcSphincter bought into a horse circuit. Perfect fit. Stand behind them and take it all in Frankie.

Hopefully not serious:

KANSAS CITY — Outfielder Joc Pederson, the Dodgers’ No. 2 prospect, left Triple-A Albuquerque’s game at Iowa on Tuesday in the first inning with an apparent right shoulder injury.

Pederson was removed after attempting a diving catch while playing center field in the bottom of the first.

Roger, maybe I was dreaming, but didn’t Puig hit a couple of balls hard last night, only to be robbed. Maybe he needs to square them up just bit more.

That article suggesting that Pederson is a Red Sox trade target also contains links to other articles suggesting that other outfielders (Emilio Bonifacio, Junior Lake and Dexter Fowler) are also Red Sox trade targets. No doubt that Pederson likely comes up in all sorts of conversations, and for the right package, I would definitely consider trading him. That’s one of the uses teams make of their prospects. But let me emphasize, that it has to be something really compelling for me to pull the trigger. And Koji Uehara, as good as he’s been the last couple of years, is probably not someone I’d consider trading him for. I realize the kind of value that Uehara has, but look at his stats.

This year he’s only appeared in 34 games and pitched about 34 innings. Maybe by adding his arm to the ones we have, the Dodgers wouldn’t be forced to used him any more. And he could serve to lessen Kenley Jansen’s workload significantly. But the part that bothers me is his age, 39. Now he just might be a guy that can pitch into his 40’s, maybe even several years into his 40’s. But it is a gamble. Now make it a deal that includes their top pitching prospect Henry Owens, and I might consider it. Of course, I’ve never seen Henry Owens pitch, so all I know about him is what I read, which is pretty good. They also have a highly rated catching prospect, Blake Swihart, who might be of interest, if I can believe what I’ve read (???????).

David Price??? I guess that’s possible. Maybe. I’d have to see the deal to say whether or not I approved. My guess is that he’d be a lot more effective in the pitching friendly NL West as opposed to the hitter friendly AL East. I imagine it would also have to be looked on in context of any other deals the Dodgers made, and whether or not they bring back prospects to adequately replace those lost in that deal, and some other pieces to address other problems (bullpen, catching, and outfielder if Pederson is included). And, of course, we could inlcude other teams’ prospects in any deal for Price, it it becomes a three or four team deal.

And hopefully, as Bobby says, Pederson’s shoulder injury isn’t serious. Funny how the player we want the Dodgers to bring up to replace someone in our injury prone outfield, himself ends up getting injured.

Mark, I’m all in with you. I hope Kershaw pitches another no-hitter tonight, and that we also win. That will give you another opportunity to tell us that Kershaw is the greatest Dodgers pitcher ever, and give me the opportunity to refute it. Who cares? They are both great pitchers. Wish we could have both of them now, at the same time.

This year he’s only appeared in 34 games and pitched about 34 innings. Maybe by adding his arm to the ones we have, the Dodgers wouldn’t be forced to used him any more. And he could serve to lessen Kenley Jansen’s workload significantly. But the part that bothers me is his age, 39. Now he just might be a guy that can pitch into his 40’s, maybe even several years into his 40’s. But it is a gamble. Now make it a deal that includes their top pitching prospect Henry Owens, and perhaps another good arm, and I might consider it. Of course, I’ve never seen Henry Owens pitch, so all I know about him is what I read, which is pretty good. They also have a highly rated catching prospect, Blake Swihart, who might be of interest, if I can believe what I’ve read (???????).

How did I miss this post? I’m slipping.

Only 34 games? That’s on pace for 70 games. The guy is a Game Over closer. This is NOW deal if it’s a deal at all. For all we know Boston has no intention of dealing their best bullpen arm. Never heard of Owens and Swihert.

So… nobody but Bobby has an opinion about adding one of the best relievers in tha game to our pen? And nobody but me asks the wuestion “how” we fit for Price? Disappointing.

I don’t like giving up SVS AND Pederson. If Ethier wakes up Boston might be interested. I think he could light up a few of those small parks back there. He also is from Arizona and has hit well there.

Price. Pederson, Lee, Timmons and Anderson. Timmons looks impressive but will DFA’d and come right back here.

Game time. This could be interesting.

We “fit” for Price because we could afford the salary he will command.

I think we also “fit” because Greinke has an opt out clause after next year, and he might very well opt out to try getting a bigger deal. If he did, at least we’d have another stud behind Kersh.

Other than that, I think we’re just fine with our 1/2/3 as is, and I’d rather allocate resources to something other than a #3 starter on this team.

So you’re ok with the Giants getting him.

He’s not having a great year and maybe just needs to be on a winner. Your #3, or #4 for that matter, gets 30+ starts a year. So I would most definitely give up a few good prospects to have him in our rotation pitching AGAINST the midgets.

Kemp with two weak grounders. He has kept his hit streak alive the last four games but his avg has actually gone down and he’s fanned 8 times.

Have to give credit to where it’s due and the Royals D is outstanding, how would it be?
    If Price had his druthers I believe he would love to be a Dodger, especially after the love bestowed on his dog, Astro, last year when they came to LA. Don’t know if it was tampering but it was pampering for sure.
    Just so we keep Corey and Julio I’m cool.

7. Gonzo says:

Pederson for that 39 year old reliever? Really? Plus SVS? If we were going to trade Joc I’d do it in a package for Samrdzijla or Price(maybe). I’ll repeat it again the Dodgers crapped the bed by not getting Tanaka. Their are many ways that this team can be tweaked. Ethier has to go. Hanley, in the right deal should go.

I think most experts would rank Seager as our top prospect and Pederson number 2 but I get the point. As much as I would LOVE to see Uehara as our 8th inning guy I don’t know I do that trade either. I sure don’t give both. But just Pederson? I would be very tempted. Depends on what we look like in the bullpen in late July and if Uehara keeps doing what he is doing. His numbers are outrageous. Our pen has stunk the joint up.

Kershaw was outstanding. Jansen looks like he is back. Leave us not overuse him.

All in all a soporific game but another W. .750 ball this summer. We’re a summer ball club.

I’m not sure what it would take to get Price. If it was Pederson, Lee, and Anderson, I’d pull the trigger. But I suspect the Rays would want more (e.g., the inclusion of Seager and/or Urias). And if the Dodgers didn’t give it to them, chances are they might get a strong package from another team. Gonzo’s probably right that the Dodgers should have signed Tanaka. But I recall reading that the Dodgers weren’t convinced that he was a top of the rotation pitcher worth a 7-year $155 million contract + a $20 million posting fee. Might well be that he was. Only time will tell.

But if the Dodgers trade for Price, and include Pederson, they will likely have to be in the market for a true CF who can hit. Right now I don’t know who that player might be, and what it would take to acquire him. But if it had to include Hanley, I’d definitely consider it, depending of course on who that CF was. Dodgers would immediately upgrade their defense at two positions, and if it’s a true CF, probably add some speed as well. I wonder if Hanley and Ethier could be included in the same package deal? Probably not, but you never know.

Of course, the Dodgers also have a need in the pen. They probably have a couple of pitchers in the minors (Paco and Garcia) who can help. What they could acquire from a another team will depend on what they acquire in other trades. If they have to surrender a lot of talent to add Price and maybe acquire a CF, then I’m not sure what’s left to acquire talent for the pen, unless that pen piece is included in one of the other deals. And the Dodgers could probably use a catcher. Acquiring catching help would also require the surrender of talent. Do the Dodgers have enough to acquire everything that they need? Maybe, but the price could set back the farm system, unless the players acquired were young and talented enough to give the Dodgers time to develop the very young players that are now occupying spots in the lower minors and in the Dominican Summer League. And the Dodgers will be acquiring more talent with the beginning of international signing period, which begins next week (July2nd), and maybe they added some talent during the just concluded June draft.

Including Timmons in any trade would be a deal kiiller for me. Talent like that comes around only once every generation.

One other thing. DFA that Kershaw guy. 6 hits surrendered over 8 innings? Disgraceful.

9. Quasimodo says:

This was one game I thought I should drink a couple beers, so nursing a partial pitcher just had to be. At least it was a win while not being one that brands in the memory bank. Cheers for the victory and as of right this moment the Giants are behind 3 runs with a half game left. Don’t feel like cooking and taco’s are near. Cheers, friends!

I understand the temptation that a Pederson Uehara deal would create. Despite his age, his numbers are outrageous. And there is the fact that he could be used on occasion to close, thereby helping to limit Jansen’s appearances. But I’d hate to surrender a very good, 22 year old prospect for a 39 year old pitcher. But there is the argument that a deal like that could put the Dodgers over the top during the playoffs. Adding Price could do the same thing. Of course, I have no idea what Boston and Tampa Bay would want for those players, and in the case of Uehara, I’m not sure that Boston would be willing to sell. Maybe they consider that 8 games out at this juncture doesn’t preclude a run at their division, or even the Wildcard, from which they are only 6 games back.

We may need bullpen help to finish off the division. I didn’t come up with Uehara deal, some other yahoo did. I don’t care his age, I care his ability to shut hitters down and he does that as well as ANYBODY. Again, it’s about this year. We have a 200 million + pay roll for now, not for later. I’m not convinced on Pederson. I’m interested, but hitting .300 at Albuquerque means diddly. Romak and FedX hit a lot higher there. Frankly I think Guerrero and Arruebarrena are more Major League ready and nobody is talking about them.

Our biggest weakness right now is our big hitters are not hitting big. Puig looks lost, Kemp looks distracted, Ramirez often looks like he’s on Ativan, Ethier looks overmatched, Crawford looks gone and Gonzalez looks 50 years old. Theses guys are paid large to hammer the ball. They don’t do it we will see many more games just like tonight. We can win our share of them but enough to win a championship? I don’t know about that.

Get healthy. Plug the holes (the bullpen) and play to the talent level and we should be fine.

11. Campy says:

Every time Ned gets an “old timer” people are all over him like ticks on a dog. Now we are encouraging him to get a 39 year old pitcher? No way as far as I am concerned.

Good news Bobby.

For me it’s not about age, it’s about ability. Uehara is not a starter. He’s a closer. And a damn good one. Some of you would not have wanted Mariano Rivera because he was too old. At age 39 he saved 44, then he saved another 130 after that. Believe it or not, Uehara’s metrics are similar. But, different strokes I suppose.

Brooklyn makes sense. If this group doesn’t get it done it’s my belief wholesale changes will be made. Funny thing is it feels like we are playing in sand and yet we are gaining ground and are currently a playoff team. Weird.

Click Here to Leave a Reply