It was the seventh inning and it was a typical Dodger move:

• Romak reaches base on an error.
  • Butera walks (Romak to 2B)
  • Turner doubles scoring Romak, but Butera is out at 3B after turning too far towards home plate (1 out)
  • Gordon HBP (should have been bases loaded)
  • Hanley K’s (2 out)
  • Yasiel grounds out (3 out)

The usual, poor fundamentals cost the team immensely.  No one picks the other up.  It’s a free for all.

Matt Kemp is a horrible outfielder.  Hanley Ramirez is a horrible shortstop.  Maybe if they hit we could live with them, but that’s a problem too.

Yasiel Puig is a horrible base-stealer.

Then “manager” Carl Crawford had this to say (from Steve Dilbeck of The LA Times):

“If ‘Dre (Ethier) is not hitting, something else is going to happen. If ‘Dre struggles, he is not going to play.  They tell us one thing and something else happens. We can’t go by what they say. It’s been frustrating for all of us. We have to be men about the situation and accept what is going on and try to do the best for the team.”

Of course, it’s a non-issue right now because CC has been shut down again.  Shut down?  Did he EVER start up?

Then, there’s the pen – if you look up “fundamentally unsound” in the dictionary, you will find their picture.  They put runners on base by hit and walk in record numbers and expect good things to happen?

Don’t tell me you have faith in this team.  You have hope, but faith is based upon reality.  Hope is based upon wishful thinking.  If you have faith in this team, you are delusional, but hope is OK!  What basis is there to think they will just stop being fundamentally unsound?  I can’t see any basis and that is what scares me.

P.S. You want to see fundamentally sound?  Watch the San Antonio Spurs and tehn tell me the coach doesn’t matter!

HAPPY FATHERS DAY, EVERYONE!

World

Mark, let me get this straight. You don’t think the Dodgers are playing good baseball.

Right on.

This is not negative thinking. One just needs to look at where they are, batting averages, pitching records, and listen even to Vinny and one knows — the Dodgers are in trouble — and Ned, which is ownership to a degree — has not been of help.

Maybe they do not care. Maybe they are just counting the money coming in. I would.

Oh, Puig used to steal head first — but they told him not too, so he is learning how to go in feet first.

“Shut down? Did he EVER start up?”

Maybe you missed it, he started up to the tune of 500 push-ups.

They haven’t played that well and yet they are in the playoff hunt. We have good starting pitching and we have offensive talent. I too am displeased with the sloppy play. It’s embarrassing. But I still believe in this lineup.

Congratulations Spurs. There is a TEAM.

I believe they have the ability, but so did the Pacers. The Pacers played the first half of the season just like the Spurs, but became selfish. Pop is the difference.

4. Idaho Al says:

Mark, I agree with you. It is so hard to watch the Dodgers play. Fundamentally they are not sound. The starting pitching is good. Actually, the bench is good right now. There are three pitchers in the bull pen that should not be there. Some more of Colletti’s brilliant moves.

We all seem to agree the Dodgers are a sloppy bunch. But do we also agree this is a lineup, that when tuned up, can hit with anybody?

If you get a chance check out the pic in the Times of Puig sliding feet first into second. Who taught him that and why isn’t Lopes working everyday to fix it? That is a serious leg injury just waiting to happen. I hope this kid listens because with some tweaks he is an All World talent.

New day. Going against a fastball slider LH kid from SoCal. Seems to be a lot of them from the Southland in the Majors. This is a day for Turner and Van Slyke but can Turner go? Rojas? I would prefer Aru at short and Hanley at third (or maybe left field with Van Slyke at first base?) but I don’t manage this team.

Is Perez still here?

6. BOB says:

Congrats to Becket for his successful recovery from surgery as he now is the actual ACE of the staff from a performance perspective. Over the last month his ERA is more than 1.00 lower than all other Dodger starters, he has the lowest WHIP, and he is pitching the most innings per start.

Why is Perez still on this team? Time for Garcia to be called up. You can say all that you want regarding Puig being the catalyst last year but I believe accountability was also a big part of the inertia. During May and June of 2013 Ned swallowed his pride and began changing the roster by DFAing at least one player. Time to swallow again Neddy.

Mattingly is like an auto mechanic who never properly sets the distributor cap, no matter how long he tries, because he just does not, and never will, have the ability to find Top Dead Center. He should be released at the end of the season. But I do like the passive rebellious battle that he seems to have started with Ned regarding the roster that he has been given.

How about trying Howell as the #2 closer just once when Jansen needs a day of rest?

The Gordon experiment is on it’s last legs. Hope the ear heals quickly.

Yea, still a Wild Card team. So What? Still a bunch of overpaid underachievers too who deserve nothing more than a chocolate pie.

7. Bobbie17 says:

Does this team ever win the last game of a series? Just think if it could win the last game of 2/3 of the series. Whether get-away or not, they just toss the hats on the field and wait for the game to be over. More than the other games. One of the signs of a good team is to win the final game of the series regardless of what happens before. This is not a good team, obviously. A bunch of good players who don’t play that way. By the way, Ethier should play against right handed pitchers every time. He is too good not to, and is one of the few who can ignite the team if he gets hot. He won’t get hot if he doesn’t play.

Good point, but wining the series is the most important thing.

And this group still has the potential to be a good team. My internal gamescape tells me Gordon and the pen are keys. Gordon has faded. When he is getting on the whole identity of this team changes. I love what he can do. But his OBP is slipping to his career .300 mark and that just won’t do. The middle of our order needs to hit with runners on and he is THE guy. I still believe they will come around. The bullpen was showing improvement but still has way too many bad innings in the books. Fix it.

8. Watford Dodger says:

Tony Gwynn was a real baseball player & man. Too young. Very sad. No Arenado for this series which has to be good news. Bob – absolutely agree with your comments on Beckett. It shows how disappointing our play is behind our starters. Kershaw, Grienke, Ryu, Beckett & Haren. They deserve better. However, it tells me that if we get to post season, then we will take some stopping. I’ve liked Beckett since he came here. When he was struggling with injury, he didn’t hide behind it. He came out after every game and said “I didn’t pitch well enough”. No excuses, no bullshit – just straight talking. I like honesty. He has ben a World Series MVP & that experience could be invaluable. Uribe back for SD series hopefully. We have missed him.

No chemistry and sloppy fundamentals. If Hanley doesn’t pull his head out soon, it will cost him millions/years on the free agent market and hopefully not with us. I think Mattingley is starting to lose control and Ned has sat on a crowded outfield too long. Trade someone and bring up Joc. I watched him at Camelback this year and saw him hit one over the centerfield fence and one off the top of the wall in centerfield. He played a stellar defense in center also. The Albuquerque air didn’t play a part in those at bats.

Hanley needs to become a Yankee. The fans there will love him for 1 1/2 years (like in Florida and LA) and then turn on him. Then he can move to the Twins to finish out his career.

Yes Tony Gwynn was one of the best pure hitters I have ever had the privilege to watch play the game of baseball. Everyone speaking on MLB Network today, spoke about what a standup guy he was. Always putting others before himself. He will be missed. Not many stay with one team over money these days.

I think the Yankees would love to have Hanley. So would every team in the American League. He’s only 30 and at age 29 he was a 5.4 WAR player.

Sloppy yes, but no chemistry? They had chemistry last year. And it wasn’t because of Punto and Schumaker. These guys start hitting as a unit and the joy will be back.

The Dodgers need to trade 2 outfielders to bring up Pederson. Bringing him up to platoon would be silly in my opinion. Unless of course it is later in the year. Ethier is the one that can be traded. As long as Crawford can play, he platoons with SVS. And that is your 2014 Dodger outfield. The players may not like it. TS. If you want to do something about it start hitting LH pitching!

Deja Vu, all over again. We’ve been paying Manny and Andruw $$$$ for the last few years and now it looks like we’ll be doing the same with a couple more overpaid underperforming millionaires. I wish someone would pay me millions to get out of town. Thinking the brain trust is lacking in IQ!

Time for the 3 Stooges [Stan, Ned and Donnie boy] to be held accountable

Probably not all that easy to trade Ethier and/or Crawford. Maybe something can happen as we get closer to the deadline, but who knows. It may be that to trade either or both of them the Dodgers will have to be satisfied to expect little in return and still have to eat significant parts of both contracts.

I agree, that bringing up Pederson requires the trading of two outfielders. If he’s going to be brought up, it has to be to play everyday, or as Badger pointed out, he can platoon if he’s brought up later in the year. If anything, getting Pederson in the lineup this year would provide the Dodgers with more information with respect to planning over the winter for next year.

Oh, and my reference to next year doesn’t mean I’ve decided to wave the white flag for this year. Pederson might be able to help significantly this year while at the same time letting the Dodgers know if they should plan on him winning an outfield spot next year.

Last night is what it looks like when it’s done right. Hanley should move to third ba…..t in an American a League lineup. Hey, I think he would make a fine third baseman but only if he wants to and it would appear he doesn’t. Make him a qualifier and wish him good luck.

Guerrero is still a half ear away (see what I did there) and when he comes back he should move to third. Guerrero, Aru, Gordon and Seager. There’s about 10 WAR right there. Kemp, Pederson and Puig. There’s another 10. Find a catcher and continue to develop pitching.

GM’n ain’t so hard.