LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today selected the contract of first baseman Clint Robinson from Triple-A Albuquerque and designated infielder/outfielder Jamie Romak for assignment.

The left-handed Robinson batted .309 with 17 doubles, one triple, 14 home runs (T-6th, Pacific Coast League) and 56 RBI (4th, PCL) in 77 games with the Isotopes, including a .402 on-base percentage (7th, PCL) and a .523 slugging percentage. Robinson has been swinging a hot bat of late, batting .469 (15-for-32) with a double, two homers and 12 RBI in his last nine games since June 16 and hitting .357 (30-for-84) with five doubles, six homers and 21 RBI in 23 June games. Overall, the 29-year-old posted a .355/.466/.639 slashline against right-handed pitchers this season.

Robinson was a non-roster invitee at Dodger Spring Training after signing as a free agent on Nov. 18, 2013 and was originally selected by Kansas City in the 25th round of the 2007 First-Year Player Draft, appearing in four games with the Royals in 2012 (last: June 13, 2012 vs. Milwaukee) in his only Major League action.

Romak made his MLB debut with the Dodgers on May 28 and appeared in 15 games during his call-up.

Image compliments of Jon SooHoo/Los Angeles Dodgers

4th-of-july-main-sale_1

Kersh will go down as a much better pitcher than Lincecum. No question about that.

However, if, in 2006, we had taken Timmy with our 7th pick instead of Kersh, we might have 1-2 rings. We needed an ace in 2008-2009, and Ned couldn’t get us Sabathia or Cliff Lee. If we had Lincecum, we may have had the ace.

Oh well.

Looks like Guerrero is getting close to returning. After reading this article I can now understand why it took so long.

Here’s Mike Petriello’s take on the Robinson call-up.

I can’t see his lefthanded bat being a replacement for SVS if the latter were traded. Either he’s just going to be a lefthanded bat off the bench, or maybe he’s just here for a day until Uribe returns. Really, I don’t have a clue.

Mark, I don’t disagree with you that Kershaw could end up as the best lefthander in Dodgers’ history. If he remains healthy, and has a long career, he will undoubtedly pass Koufax based on longevity alone. But that said, Koufax is the greatest pitcher I ever saw, and were it not for the fact that he had to sit around with the Dodgers for several years without getting any minor league experience, and then the injuries, I believe he may have been the greatest pitcher of all time, not just the greatest Dodger pitcher of all time.

On Robinson again. Maybe he’s just a placeholder until the Dodgers figure make a deal or two. Could be that a call-up Arruebarrena (really not so difficult a name to pronounce (ARR-U-BAR-ENA) or if the first “e” is pronounced (ARR-UAY-BAR-ENA). But Mark’s probably got it just right (“ARRRRRR”).

I would trade Pederson in the right deal, but definitely not for a 39 year old relief pitcher. Uehara would likely be a huge help down the stretch, but I can’t see the Dodgers trading a top young prospect for him. The only way I see the Dodgers doing that would be because they were absolutely convinced that Uehara was the difference in the Dodgers winning a championship. But that would be a huge gamble that I wouldn’t take. Also, if he is traded, Pederson should go in a deal that brings back a bigger, and longer term piece or pieces (e.g., David Price), or in a larger deal involving other players that also brings back a good young outfielder. For me Pederson is not hands-off, but it would require a lot for me to be willing to part with him.

It’s Spanish. Vowels never change. e is a, a is ah, i is e and u is u. All are always pronounced.

And a large loud YES about whatever it takes to win a championship. They would trade ANY of them if it guaranteed a championship. I would trade ALL of them if it guaranteed a championship!

Actually I made few mistakes in that first paragraph. Most of you are smart enough to figure out what I meant to say, so I’ll leave it at that.

5. BOB says:

“For me Pederson is not hands-off, but it would require a lot for me to be willing to part with him.” Are you talking about baseball or something else?

Last year Gordon had 7 errors in 206 innings and before tonight’s game had 7 errors through 607 innings. I like the improvement in his game.

80th game today. Can’t believe that there still is no Dodger TV.

Dodger starters are now first in MLB. Good omen.

Bye Romak. You gotta produce or you are gone. What a novel concept. Ned should apply that one more often.

Don’t like the way this game is going.

Cannot wait till the 8th or 9th inning to score on this team. That really takes work and a better hitting team than the Dodgers.

I have no plan for the future CFer Roger. I just want Price in Haren’s spot in the rotation. I feel Haren is lucky if he goes 5. We need 7-8 or our bullpen is going to get blowed up.

7. idahoal says:

I would not make that deal Badger. Right now I would rather see SVS and Pederson in the starting line up than Either or Crawford. Starting pitching is not our problem. Although Haren may be a concern. Our problem is in the bull pen. I believe there are pitchers in our system who should be brought up to support our bull pen such as Paco. I just have no confidence in Colletti doing the right thing before the trading dead line. We need to keep our good young prospects.

Badger, I appreciate your likening me to Socrates, i.e., if it’s without the hemlock.

I would do that deal for Price that Badger suggests. First off, we really don’t know how good a CF Pederson is. And, good prospect though he may be, he is still a prospect, all of which are always at least a little bit suspect. Besides, Price would give the Dodgers a shutdown rotation 1-5, assuming that Beckett continues to hold up his end of the bargain for the remainder of this season. And I think we all know what wins in the postseason, pitching, pitching and more pitching. SVS is also a nice piece to have, but you have to give to get.

Like I said above, I think Robinson is meant to be short term. Might not even be on the team by tomorrow night after Uribe returns. I wonder if Hanley isn’t headed to the DL.

9. Blake Estes says:

I no they haven’t caught the midgets yet but i bet bob nightingale feels like an ass. He should have known it was way to early to predict the dodgers were done. The boys of summer are back. Suck on that mr. Nightingale.

Shoulder separation. What grade? 10 days? I doubt it.

Depending on the seriousness of this, and I don’t trust for a second what the Dodgers say initially, he could be out a very long time. Anything over a grade IV could require surgery. Just saying I need to see the MRI.

Two level A players is not too much to pay for David Price. Somebody will offer more than that.

Having said that, I would think hard before I pulled the trigger on that one.

The Dodgers have very few real strong prospects. I think Pederson is the real deal. Same with Seager and Urias. I just do not part with them. Not for just Price alone.

Post season needs 3 or at the most 4 starters.

The reason Ned makes all that money, is for him to find a way to improve the team/roster and not give up his best talent. Now it would be different if say, Kershaw went down with injury. Or Ryu or Grienke. But we are not there . . .

I’m betting our mad trader Markus Timmonilious would have an opinion on what it would take to get another Cy Young winner here. What say the o’ Wizard of the Wire?

12. Pete M says:

Finally I get semblance of prosperity/order in my minor lg. system and guess what, garage sale at the Ravine… Darn, its good to see Matt Kemp raking, especially with Kanley hurting (again). Brian Wilson is a very lucky man and should be buying dinner for SVS for at least, say a week… 4- 2 road trip… I’ll take it and don’t look back…

13. t.o.dave says:

Until now, I have looked forward to both Seager and Urias playing for the Dodgers a couple seasons down the road. Urias is only 17 but could be ready by age 19 to make his debut…or not. Seager shows great talent and could finally be the third basemen the Dodgers haven’t had since Adrian Beltre…or not. I don’t see the Dodgers converting him to first base BTW. He hits left but throws right. Ideally, you want a left handed player at first base. The two Cubans appear ready to help the club this year in the surge to make it to the post season, with Arrrr ready to take over SS next season in my humble opinion. We can’t rely on Hanley beyond this season. His defense is that bad as we all know. Keep him for his bat this year and make the qualifying offer for the draft pick compensation. We have Uribe for 3b through next season and that is a good thing I think. Again, Seager won’t be ready for next season to take over full time at the big league level. Besides, we have Guerrero ready to spend some time there and play a role as a super utility guy through the end of Uribe’s contract. Then we can see him at 3b or someone else could emerge in future trade, etc. CF is a more curious situation. There are no really good ones coming on the market as FA players. Tough to trade for one too I think. Pederson needs to stay with the organization and be given the shot in spring training next year to win the job. He, too, like the two Cubans, can be brought up this season to help the run towards the playoffs. With all that said, we have a shot at landing Price and having an incredibly dominant starting staff. If it takes Seager and Urias to do it, I say pull the trigger. Don’t let him go to another team that we may face in the playoffs.

“Don’t let him go to another team that we may face in the playoffs”

That’s exactly what I was thinking dave. He’s coming to the NL. You can bet all the players will be involved in the bidding. SF, St Loius and Atlanta don’t want to face him either. Milwaukee and Washington might think with him they can win it all. It will take our best prospects. But I’m with you. Let’s make our best offer and see where it falls.

I love that we’re finally rebuilding the farm system, and that we actually have some legit prospects. It’s the key to the future if you have young guys that can play (you can therefore spend your cash on additions to the team)

But David Price?? As a #3??? Good lord.

We’d be trading all that young talent for a guy who HAS to succeed in his 3-4 playoff starts, or it’s a complete failure of a deal. If Price went 1-3 in those playoff starts, and we don’t win the ring, AND we have to pay him $160mil as well?? BAD BAD BAD move.

Do we trust Ned? Do I trust DwightCoward at the free throw line?

• bobbie17 says:

The team doesn’t need another #1 pitcher. It can use a a better #5. And a better bullpen. Leave Price alone. As long as the Giants don’t get him, I’m ok. They won’t because they are basically cheap. The only reason they have the payroll they do is that they are paying World Series premiums to a bunch of guys. How about a better backup catcher? The A’s have 3 of them, and they all play at the same time. John Jaso? Derek Norris?

Click Here to Leave a Reply