LOS ANGELES, CA— Former Los Angeles Dodger pitcher Robert “Bobby” Castillo passed away this morning in a Los Angeles hospital after battling cancer. He was 59.

Castillo pitched in Los Angeles from 1977-81 and again in 1985, his last season in the Major Leagues. The right-hander also was a member of the Minnesota Twins from 1982-84. Castillo is survived by his mother, Nellie, his daughter, Mellanie, his daughter, Sara, and her husband, Andrew Sanchez, his son Robert III, and his sister, Lorraine, and her husband, Peter Gonzalez. Castillo had three nieces and nephews, nine grand nieces and nephews and two grandchildren, Jackson and Lila.

The Los Angeles native was widely credited with teaching Dodger pitching great Fernando Valenzuela how to throw his famous screwball, a pitch Castillo also threw.

“I was very saddened to hear about Bobby’s passing this morning,” said Valenzuela. “He was a great teammate and friend. I’ll always be grateful for his influence on my pitching. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.”

“Babo” as he was affectionately called, was a sixth-round draft choice by the Kansas City Royals in 1974 and was purchased by his hometown Dodgers on June 16, 1977. The then 22-year-old Castillo made his big league debut for Los Angeles on Sept. 19 of that year and retired Hall of Famer Johnny Bench for his first big league out.

Castillo, who attended Lincoln High School in Los Angeles, finished with a career record of 38-40 with a 3.94 ERA in 250 games (59 starts). He pitched for the Dodgers in the 1981 National League Championship Series, the ’81 World Series and the 1985 NLCS.

Since his retirement, Castillo has been a dedicated member of the Dodger organization, participating in countless events through the years and was a familiar face on Dodger hospital visits, autograph signings and at kids’ holiday parties and baseball clinics, to name a few.

Funeral services are pending.

ladodger-brought-to-you-by-uswater

1. BOB says:

Always sad news when a Dodger passes on. Even more sad every time I read that a person is survived by one or more of their parents.

Will the Cliff Lee trade rumors officially start tomorrow? 37.5 mil for 1.5 years plus 12.5 buyout option for 2016. That’s a lot of money. How about Lee for Lee and pay the whole salary?

• Blake Estes says:

I don’t no what it would take but maybe we should look at Ben revere or denard span. Revere is on a team going nowhere and span might be the man left out with Zimmerman in left Harper in center and worth in right. Just a thought

In perusing the centerfielders I don’t know I see any that might be available and are a better all around baseball player than our own Joc Pederson. If we are going to go get one, they should be better defensively than what we have. Span would be. Revere wouldn’t. Frankly I just don’t know who might be available. If Ethier hits, we can live with his -dWAR out there – at least for a while. If he doesn’t hit, obviously that is trouble.

• Michael says:

I don’t know but KCs Cain or Dyson, who both played against us in CF, seems within the realm of possibility. They’re sniffing close and might need a playoff experienced player[ Crawford/Ethier ] to mentor the Royals back to past glories {big bucks their way} but the sooner the leadership own up to mistakes and right the ship, the better.

Not to be pessimistic but ex-Dodgers seem to love to take retribution against us so I expect Santana can’t wait to face up with HR Haren.
    On the bright side, 1st place could be ours all alone when the rooster crows.

Bobby, you were before the internet and cable TV and I have to admit that I barely remember you, so sorry, all we got back then was day old news and you surely didm’t get the print you deserved but thanks for being on our team, may you RIP

Really sorry to hear about Castillo. Definitely too young. I still remember that screwball.

Would Cleveland like to rid themselves of Bourn’s contract? Just a thought. He’d definitely be an improvement on defense, but not much of an on-base guy. Of course, Pederson might be better right now.

I can’t see the Pirates even considering that deal for McCutchen suggested in the previous thread. Love to have him, but it would take more, probably a lot more. And one of those players, in addition to Pederson, would probably have to be named Seager. GUARANTEED!!!

I personally think we have a better chance of getting one of those 3 rivers out of Pittsburgh than we do getting McCutch

Haren hanging tough today! Let’s get a run for him and get him the W

5. BOB says:

Great, and somewhat unexpected, job by Haren tonight.

Great eye by Robinson not swinging at 3 straight off speed pitches that were balls and then going up the middle. Let him stay in the Bigs for another week.

Already told you what I think of a Revere Campy. If we are going to get a new center fielder it has to be one better than those we have. All of Revere’s defensive metrics are below 0. Why not just go with Pederson? But for now, I’m ok with Ethier.

I was thinking the same thing about Bourne as I was watching him tonight Brooklyn. If you remember, he was the guy I wanted before he signed with Cleveland. They got him now. Sizeable contract for 3 more years too.

Pitching. We have it.

Good summer so far.

6. BOB says:

Sweeney now has the highest BA of any player currently in his AA league, hit 3 straight HRs today, and played CF today! What’s up with that? He did look real good in spring training this year. Are they getting ready to move Seager up to AA?

7. Watford Dodger says:

Haren back in the party.
    Personally I don’t think the Dodgers will trade for a CF, what with Joc in the wings and the 4 outfielders we have plus SVS ( who really deserves more game time ). I think they will look at a utility infielder for the bench but most of Ned’s attention will be on the pen.
    So we are in 1st place. Only seems a few weeks ago we were 10.5 games out. Oh yeah – it was only a few weeks ago. It’s a funny old game…..

8. Pete M says:

Good night and God bless Bobby C… Had the pleasure to run into you at the Ravine wandering around with Sweet Lou and you were very laid back and accommodating…

9. Pete M says:

1/2 gm. ahead…How Sweet it Is… Happy for Haren and this start will hopefully be a sign of good times… Being a #5 starter is/can be a very lonely spot especially on our staff… I would like Haren’s experience during the Dog Days…
    It never ends… The Gonja pipe has lost it’s glow and now were going after Andrew Mc.?.?
    I hope Turner makes it back as he has exceeded my expectations… I second the Darnell Sweeney sighting at Camelback and the kid has been on a magic carpet ride since…And then there’s Scott Schebler…

Haren has taken the ball 17 times and averages 6 IP per with a 3.57 ERA. We may have the best 5th in league.

I don’t think Mark was serious about McC. Just wishful thinking.

Do we have an update on Pederson?

45.6k at the game. Less than our average. Must have felt like a playoff game for the Indians. They avg 16k at home. Btw, that Wahoo logo has got to go. I read there is about to be a 9 billion lawsuit filed. Sensitive issue. Personally I think it’s time to respect the Native American’s wishes on this issue.

Suggestions:

Washington Liars

The Cleveland Cleavage

(How about the Cleveland Erie’s)

The Kansas City Meat

I’m fine with name Warriors.

I got talked into a round of golf at 11. Supposed to be 102 out on the course by 2 o’clock. Should be interesting.

“Joc Pederson is swinging the bat and feeling much better. He should be back in the lineup in less than a week.” The voices inside my head.

Badger, I should have mentioned it, but I was actually thinking of you when I mentioned Bourn. Surely remember your wanting to sign him. He’d definitely be an improvement over what we currently have in CF, but it could be that Joc is better, assuming he can make the adjustment to the big leagues. Just Joc’s proclivity to get on base makes him a good bet to be the better choice. But I wouldn’t discount Bourn’s experience, and the added incentive he would have coming over to a contender. His OBP in his final year with Atlanta was .348, which included 70 walks in 624 AB’s. He does strike out a lot, but I’m sure that’s something the Dodgers could live with if he’s getting on base (actually, I also think Joc strikes out a lot too). Maybe with a role change in LA he would be motivated to be more patient. He’s done it before, so no reason to believe he can’t do it again.

Click Here to Leave a Reply