That’s a quote from the great Bill Parcells, who went on to elaborate 4 possible outcomes in The Buffalo News:

1) “You can play very well and you win. That’s the fat-cat syndrome.”

2) “You can play very well and you don’t win. That’s, ‘Well, we gave it our best shot and it still wasn’t good enough.’ “

3) “You play poorly and you win. The psychology of that one is, ‘Well, we can turn it on. We didn’t even play well and we won.’ “

4) “You play poorly and get beat badly. That’s, ‘Oh, my God. We’re terrible. We don’t have a chance.’ “

Face it – the Dodgers played poorly last night and are now in 3rd place with a 19-18 record. “You are what your record says you are.”

Paul Maholm has been, well Paul Maholm, but he pitched well enough to win last night, even though he wasn’t very good, but with no hitting, the Dodgers lost.  “You are what your record says you are.”

Lately, when the Dodgers have played the Giants they have been beaten by a better team.  “You are what your record says you are.”

The Giants ARE a better team with a record of 23-13, they are 10 games over .500 while the Dodgers are 19-18… just 1 game over .500.  “You are what your record says you are.”

Through the first 37 games of the season, the Dodgers are a “Middle-of-the-Pack” team.  “You are what your record says you are.”

The Giants have a $149 million team payroll while the Dodgers have a $229 million team payroll.   It seems to me that Brian Sabean has outworked and out managed his protege, Ned Colletti.  “But the Dodgers _______________________ (you fill in the excuse).  “You are what your record says you are.”

As fans we can hope and say that they will get better, they will start hitting, they will win, they will beat the Giants, but right here, right now…. “You are what your record says you are.”

However, here’s the reality of the situation.  Your record says what you are right now, not what you will be.  Three things can occur (and two of them are bad):

1. You stay the same;
  2. You get worse; or
  3. You get better.

We all hope the Dodgers get better, but the odds are against it.   When you have a club filled with vets, sometimes the passion isn’t there.  Crawford, Ethier, Ramirez, Gonzalez, Uribe and even Kemp are all seasoned pros who have learned to keep a steady pace, but then you have the Wild Horse!  The Dodgers need more Wild Horses and fewer logical, steady veterans.  The Dodgers need an injection of youth into this moribund bunch!  The Dodgers need Joc Pederson and Alex Guerrero to replace Ethier and Turner.  I don’t care if CC is heating up – he’s still part of the problem.  When AJ Ellis comes off the DL, hopefully the Dodgers can find a trade partner.

This team needs and injection of youth.  “You are what your record says you are.”

I have to admit that I was afraid of what could happen with Puig this year (and don’t tell me you knew better because you didn’t), but he has not fallen to the Dark Side.  He is the breath of fresh air into a team of old geysers.  The Dodgers need more enthusiasm, more youth.  “You are what your record says you are.”

During the regular NBA season, the Pacers were the #1 team in the East.  They stumbled around for a while and then David West did his best imitation of Jesus and Roy Hibbert, who was imitating Lazarus came back to life and ignited the Pacers who manhandled the Wizards last night, holding them to an all-time playoff low in points and re-claimed their home court advantage.  “You are what your record says you are.”

The Pacers were the best team in the East and they are showing it again.  Teams have slumps, players have slumps, it’s a long season, but at the end “You are what your record says you are.”

Who will the Dodger be?

By the way, Madison (isn’t that a girls name?), get over it!  Puig flipped his bat.  So what?  What’s the big deal you little crybaby?  It’s a good thing you didn’t confront him physically because he would have broken you in half!  Memo to Giants:  Don’t think about beanballs.  Our next two starters will put one in your ear!

Zach and Clayton need to right this ship.

(photo courtesy of Huffington Post)

mothers-day-2014-end

Why are the odds against the Dodgers playing better? I would say the opposite is true. They WILL play better.

Another bold prediction – every division in baseball will not finish exactly the way they are stacked right now.

2. Bball says:

Anyone seen the cardinals record. 18-18. I doubt they are what there record says they are. Baseball is streaky giants are on a good streak and the dodgers on a bad one. Things will reverse I’ll put 500 on that mark.

As for the bat flipping – it’s just more of what the young players do. I’m old school. Act like you’ve been here before. Same with Bumfarmer. Pipe down and give Puig a shave next at bat. Too much showboating and too much talking.

STFU and play ball.

I doubt Mark will be making any more bets Bball. A few days ago he made the Crawford bet and Carl put over 70 points on his batting average since then. Things can, and do, change quickly in this game.

Roger is on vacation. Where are Quas and Brooklyn?

4. Watford Dodger says:

Good question Badger – asked the same thing thing the other day. Quas is posting sporadically as he can’t get to see the games and doesn’t feel he can have much input. Brooklyn said he was busy working & rehabbing his knee. Hope they are both ok. Mark makes lots of valid points but for me, it’s just hard work watching them. The games are low scoring & dull. I want to enjoy it. Our starting pitching is great. They have lost 7 games where the pitcher has thrown a quality start & not won a single game when behind after 6 innings. Wow.

5. Bobbie17 says:

The biggest problem now is whether the Giants will run away with the division. The only team even close right now is the Rockies, and it is doubtful they can continue to play at this level. Once the Giants get a 8-10 game lead on the division, it will be over. Think about wild card in August. The Dodgers aren’t even that right now. If you read the posts from last year at this time, these are probably similar. Lightning won’t strike twice. The 4 outfielder situation is not working and is preventing Pederson from making an appearance. What happened to Gonzo? No big hits in a week. No Paco. Why even have him on the big team if you don’t use him? Living in the Bay Area, this sucks. Someone has to carry this team. Puig has been neutralized, so who will it be?

Run away with the division?

The midgets are a good team playing well. That’s it. The Dodgers and Rockies are both good teams too. Nobody gonna run away with anything. Have some patience.

7. jerry says:

well we are not hitting …but maybe we need a hitting coach..that doesnt think home run all the time..that is big Mark mc., since he only looks for the big inning…a base hit with runner on is a bigger chance then the big bomb.with runner on ..what happen to the choke up on the bat and punch the ball for the base hit..and like i said this team didnt improve from last yr..last yrs team was a better team…and it show it..

8. Idaho Al says:

The Dodgers are so hard to watch. They just cannot hit with RISP. The only good thing that is happening right now is the starting pitching. Defense, hitting, and bul pen are horrible. I agree with you Mark, we need some infusion of young blood. I have really enjoyed watching Gordon play.

The odds are against them because 2 out of 3 possibilities are bad. It doesn’t mean then can’t overcome the odds, but they are against them.

I still like this team. Yes, many players are overpaid, but the Dodgers are making money so there is no need for a fire sale. I think Kemp will find himself. He may not be an MVP candidate again but he will be a 3-5 WAR player. So will Ramirez, AGon and Puig. Our pitching will be fine. I still very much like our chances.

I hope Uribe will be ok. We need him.

I’ll bet Guerrero could play third. He won’t be playing second much as long as Gordon keeps playing the way he has. I agree about Figgins and Turner. We need more better play from backups.

Ethier deserves better. Ask him where he wants to go then trade him there.

Bats finally came alive. At one point in this series they were 0 for 14 WRISP. Yoiks. That stinks. Now we are a Kershaw win away from a split.

11. Rob says:

We just need Hanley to get his bat going and call up Guerrero for figgins. Maybe they need to rethink their position on Guerrero because Gordon is not going anywhere. I agree badger on Ethier, he always hustles even on routine ground outs. Maybe Seattle will take on part of his contract but I would hate to see him go.

12. Watford Dodger says:

Well I actually enjoyed that one and not just the win. Grienke has a way of getting the job done even when he doesn’t have his best stuff. Wilson is still struggling although Perez looked better. Gordon is a revelation – a real game changer. Puig is growing on me as his behaviour improves. Kemp looking better so if Hanley can catch fire we may be ok. I think Donnie’s decision to play CC & not Ethier is a bit of a statement. Puig & Kemp will play. CC now ahead of Ethier. What is Figgins doing in the lineup? Figgins, Buttera, pitcher – hardly nerve racking for the pitcher. Let’s hope we give Clayton some support tomorrow.

13. BOB says:

The Dodger offense generally stinks. Butera has lead the team in RBIs during the last week. Where are the $20 mil clutch players? With the 4 OFs leading the team in BA during the last week, now there is a 4 OF problem. The IF is currently stinking up the league.

Fear not. I’m still alive. At least I think I am.

In addition to work, I’ve had to cut down a bit on my rehabbing. Seems that I may have a sprain of a ligament or something similar (e.g., hammy problem) on the right side of my knee. Surgery was on the left (arthritic) side. Surgeon appears to have done a nice job on the surgical side, but didn’t take into account that I would have problems with rehab due to the pain I’m experiencing on the non-surgical right side. And that’s something he should have considered, since I reported the pain on the right side to him BEFORE the surgery (and there was an MRI–taken in December– that showed the problem). Doctor gave my some additional pain killers (Percoset) and told me also to take ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory. I’m being careful with the ibuprofen, since I have a history with gastritis, and by practice I stay away from NSAID’s. But taken with a lot of food, the ibuprofen isn’t causing me any problems (only taking one 200 mg capsule 3 times per day). By the way, I refused to take the Celebrex that I was prescribed when I left the hospital. And don’t worry about me getting hooked on the Percoset, since I’m only taking 1 tablet 3 times per day, and have had experience taking it before. If I begin to feel the slightest sign of withdrawal like I did 3 years ago after my biopsy at Sloan-Kettering (which found the fungus which causes valley fever that I picked up at Dodgers ST in 2009), I’ll stop taking it without any hesitation.

Enough about me. See my next post for comments on the Dodgers.

Given my current problems, I haven’t watched every Dodgers game. However, from what I’ve seen recently, and based on what I’ve seen all season long, the Dodgers have one very big problem. THEY’RE NOT HITTING. Yes, the defense has been pretty horrid, and the bullpen hasn’t measured up to what was expected. But if this team was scoring runs likes it’s capable, the bullpen would not have overwork issues, and the less than stellar defense would not have kept this team out of first place.

Think of how many close games the Dodgers have lost against the midgets. Each one of those games is like TWO in the standings of the two teams. Had the Dodgers simply beaten the midgets two more times, they’d be a half game in front of the midgets and only a half game behind the Rockies. And why have the Dodgers lost so many close games to the midgets? One answer. No hitting. And of course, the Dodgers have lost a lot more close games against other teams for the same simple reason. They’re not scoring.

I have to believe that Hanley will hit, and I suspect that it won’t be long before we see Kemp pick it up. He’s hit a number of balls to the warning track which would have gone out had he been squaring up the ball better. I believe it’s only a matter of time before Kemp begins to make harder contact. When the season began I thought it might take Kemp until late May or early June to find his stroke. I still believe that. And Agon will also pick it up again. In fact, he hit some balls pretty hard last night and drove one hard to CF today. Sooner or later those balls find a hole or a gap.

And B17, lightning doesn’t have to strike twice. Nobody expects that the Dodgers will play .800 ball the rest of the season. But who’s to say the Dodgers won’t get hot for a shorter period, and win 25 of 30. In 2006 the Dodgers got hot, and won 18 of 19 at one point. Just think positively, and fill that glass half full. And it’s just as possible that the midgets will fall behind by 2 or 3 games as it is that they’ll build an 8-10 games lead. It’s May 10th and the midgets lead the Dodgers by 3.5 games. Maybe it’s my age that gives me confidence. I recall the 1960′s when the midgets used to take an early season lead over the Dodgers only to see it evaporate, as they invariably would go into their “June Swoon”, and get caught by the Dodgers at the beginning of July.

I don’t know if Pederson is ready, but if he keeps hitting in the PCL, then I wouldn’t mind seeing him get a shot with the Dodgers. Just saw that he hit his 11th HR in tonight’s game. Seems he’s hitting the ball a lot harder than Mr. Ethier, who I also have very little confidence in. Seems to me that he’s lost his power, and that it’s not coming back. Maybe we’re seeing Mark’s Mr. Softee all over again. But in this case, “soft” has nothing to do with choking and more to do with how Ethier hits the ball, i.e., very softly. I have a lot more confidence in Crawford than I do in Ethier. The Boston deal put the Dodgers back on the map, but signing Ethier to a new 5-year deal was totally unnecessary. Not sure what the Dodgers could get for Ethier, nor do I have a clue as to how much of his contract another team would be willing to pick up. But the Dodgers are on the hook with Ethier for a bunch of money through 2017 or 2018, and I don’t think he’s going to get any better between now and then. But he might get worse. I’d consider his contract a sunk cost (whatever portion the Dodgers end up paying), and move-on, ASAP. Maybe a change of scenery is all he needs, and if so, great for him. But whatever the case, I think his Dodger days are numbered. Maybe he could be a 3 WAR with another team. I just don’t think it’s happening with the Dodgers.

By the way, Brian Wilson looked pretty good today. Hit 94-96 quite a few times. One outing doesn’t convince me of anything, but maybe there’s still something left in the tank.

If Gordon continues to produce at 2B, then the job would appear to be his to lose. Not only are his bat and speed valuable assets, but it would appear that he’s become a plus defender at the keystone. Guerrero it would seem should probably be ticketed for the left side of the infield, unless of course, he can also play LF.

Don’t know how often I’m going to be posting in the near future. Still got lots of work to catch up on, and as the right side of knee begins to improve, I’m sure that I’ll pick up my rehab work. But I love posting on this site, so I’m sure I’ll find or make as much time as possible. Besides, it’s nice to know that people even think about me. I very much appreciate being thought of, and for the genuine concern that goes along with it. Dodgers are important in my life, but not nearly as important as the people close to me, and the people on this site.

Just finished my second (and long) post, and got a chance to see Badger’s post with Guerrero’s last 10. Didn’t realize that he had picked it up so much. Bring him up, yesterday.

Solid post Brooklyn. Agree with everything with the exception of your take on Andre. He IS a 3+ WAR player. He’s just dazed by the situation. He is an every day player that has been given an assignment he is not comfortable with. He has kept his mouth shut so do the right thing and move him. He is from Arizona. They would probably love to have him. So would a few other teams. Boston? Houston? He would put up some serious numbers in either place.

I said it before and I’ll say it again. This is a summer team. They will heat up when the weather does.

Badger, agree with you about this being a summer “summer team”. Maybe Ethier would put up some serious numbers with another team, and maybe other teams are thinking that they can bring out the 2009 Ethier, or even the 2012 version. And certainly, in a better hitters park, I think they might find something in-between those two years. But whatever the case, I don’t think we’re going to see anything even resembling the Ethier of old in LA. Besides, if Pederson is ready (and the Dodgers have a better handle on that than I do) now would seem a good time to make a move.

19. Pete M says:

Good to have you back Brooklyn… A lot of angst for May 11 !??!!? Bat flipping and posing… I laugh and know these kids are very lucky especially for two names not on current rosters… Drysdale and Gibson… Min. 60 day DL…

20. Bobbie17 says:

A thought: Maybe AJ Ellis’ presence in the lineup and on the field is more important than we think. I think the numbers on him don’t support his importance in the clubhouse, dugout, and on the field. Will be good to see him back.

21. BOB says:

Too many times when I watch the Dodger highlights at night after the McCourt like TV channel garbage prevents me from watching the game, too many times I once again see a run scoring base hit where the Dodger batter has pulled an outside pitch and then they think that approach is ok. How many times do they try to pull every pitch and strike out or ground again and again and again?

HIT THE BALL WHERE IT IS PITCHED AND MAYBE YOUR SLUMP WILL END YOU OVER PAID DUMB SH.TS.

I hopes Time Warner goes bankrupt after an anti-trust lawsuit blows up all Baseball TV contracts!

Hopefully when Ellis comes back we’ll be saying goodbye to Olivo. Rob, I have to agree, watching the Dodgers can be depressing. Yes, the Dodgers managed to score 4 runs today. But if they put some more runs up before the 9th inning, they wouldn’t have had to even bat in the 9th. Put some more runs on the board and everything will look better.

4.5 games behind seems like a lot when you’re behind. Not so much when you’re 4.5 games in front. Just imagine that over the next 50 games the Dodgers go 31-19 and the midgets drop off to a .500 pace, and go 25-25. Dodgers gain 6 games and are 1.5 in front. Not so hard to imagine.

It’s a long season. Plenty of time to right the ship.

23. davidinchicago says:

time to stop the platooning in the outfield and let the main 3 get some playing time. The 3? Puig, Kemp and Van Slyke. Trade Ethier and Crawford!

24. BOB says:

The only players batting above .273 are the 4 OFs. They are all doing well. Let one of them play 1B for a day. Ethier has played there before. Albeit only 1 inning!

Even Vin praised Butera today for his recent improvement (.273 during the last week, and he has the #5 highest BA during that time). The key according to Vin? Using the WHOLE FREAKIN FIELD!

25. Jim D says:

This will put a bee in some bonnets, but it must be said. The Dodgers have played the same style of boring, snoozing baseball for the last few years. I don’t know how 52,000 can pay to watch this snore show almost night after night (“we got our 2 runs so we are done”). Vince is the only good thing about the Dodgers most nights.

1. Get rid of Crawford – eat the contract Ned, and get a few boxes of baseballs in return. 2. Goodbye Andre. Eat his contract too, but we should get a little something usuable for him. 3. Call up Joc, and platoon him & SVS in left field. They will provide better offense & defense, plus ENTHUSIASM. 4. A BIG ONE !! TRADE Hanley Ramirez to an American League team that can use him as a DH. His defense stinks, and he has no bat so far this season, and he shows no spirit at all, only going through the motions. He surely should NOT be resigned to some large contract that will haunt us for future years. We should be able to get a good hitter/fielder for him, and maybe some prospects too. Call up Guerreo and let him play his natural short stop position, leaving Dee at second base. 5. Goodbye Justin Turner & Chone Figgins. They should not even be in MLB anyway. I am sure we can find two .240 hitters (at least) to replace these two .175 hitters (there, we are ahead of the game). Go find 2 more players Ned.

The bullpen is a mess, filled with pitchers who cannot find the strike zone & continue to walk everything in the ballpark. The coaching is even crazy…..Lorenzo Bundy sends Adrian Gonzalez home, from second base on a little single, to be thrown out by a mile. Even my 2 year old grandson was screaming “you got to be kidding” !!!

There is time to turn it around & get an inspired group of players instead of a bunch of “paycheck cashers”. This team will not be World Series contenders, guaranteed! My poor Dodgers……

Click Here to Leave a Reply