The fact that the Los Angeles Dodgers are barely over .500 with the largest payroll in baseball is an indictment of the management.

There’s no way to spin it.

It’s not early.

Every game counts.

Quit making excuses – the blueprint implemented by Ned Colletti, approved by Stan Kasten and managed by Don Mattingly is a failure.

The indictment has been delivered.  How do you plead?

I say “Guilty as Charged.”

P.S. What happened to Clayton Kershaw last night won’t happen again – it’s just one of those things.

memorial-day-2014_1

1. Bobbie17 says:

These are the same old Dodgers, with a higher payroll. Hollywood. Lots of flash with little substance. I totally agree with Mark. It still starts with player development and ends there too. The RC team stinks in high A. Shouldn’t these high draft picks who are pitching there be better than they are? The college guys should breeze through A ball. On Kershaw: He had a short spring, and wasn’t all that good at that. Then he gets hurt and is out for a month. He’s still in Spring Training mode and won’t be out of it for a while. I was forced to watch the Giants play at ATT the other night. Even in a loss, those guys bring it for 9 innings. Classic overachievers. The whole is better than the parts. Our team: some of the parts are good, but they don’t seem to fit into a unit. This has been true for a a long time. I think it’s an attitude that starts with the draft. How many really bleed blue when they are drafted? Same ol’. Same ol’. I know, its early.

2. BOB says:

Regardless of whether or not “what happened to Kershaw will not happen again” the presumption that all Dodger pitches will go 6-7 innings and will never have a brain fart and therefore this team does not need a real long reliever is just Felony Stupid. Talking to you Neddy. The starting pitchers try to strike out too many batters because the SS, LF and CF can’t field their positions and the bullpen can’t throw strikes because they have PTSD from being shelled too many times. This is a team that Neddy put together and Donald Duck can’t manager. More Dodgers need to lose their jobs than Federal government employees lost their job during the last Federal Sequestration. (That means more than 1)

Too many walks by the bullpen, Can’t pitch more that one inning, Perez still looks like he is addicted to beer, or bing eating after excessive inhaling. Nobody can figure out what is wrong with their arm slot for 3 days. THEY ARE ALL MENTAL MUDGETS.

Send Withrow to AA to work on trying to walk less than 1 batter per inning. Send Perez to the DL and a substance abuse or an eating disorder clinic. Send Wilson to the DL and make him take a lie detector everyday regarding the health of his arm and head. Bring up Patterson for long relief and bring up Garcia already. Do not ever let Butera pitch ever again. Make a starter pitch if you run out of real relief pitchers. Then maybe they will complain and ask for a long reliever to be added to the team. It appears that Jansen and Withrow complained enough so that they are no longer the #2 and #3 innings throwing relievers in MLB. Does that mean that Donald Duck will now Torreize someone else. Signing Wright as a long reliever is just brain dead stupid. It is beginning to look as if Torreizing a relief pitcher is the logical consequence of Neddy’s inability to sign a long reliever during the last 10 years.

Get everyone in the batting cage against LHP for 10 minutes a day until they are batting .250 against LHP in a game. Fielding practice every morning until the All-Star break. Videos every afternoon until the end of the year. Nutrition and aerobics classes every day for the rest of their contracts. No music in the locker room for the rest of their lives. Play Money Ball for the rest of Eternity.

Have a team meeting and declare the Dodgers a fiefdom and trade anyone who complains and also trade all chronic head cases by the deadline and Hanley by the end of this month. Does anyone think that the Marlins would take him back, even to just flip him for prospects, straight up for Eovaldi? I don’t.

I’m at the point where I am glad that I can’t watch this joke on TV.

That was embarrassing last night.

Go Kings go today; at least 1 LA team can show how a real team plays together with heart.

4. Arod 213 says:

Thanks Bob for making me write less now. Your absolutely right. I’m so glad I didn’t commit to mlb extra innings this year as watching this team would of been a waste of good hours. This team has no heart whatsoever. Why does Hanley think he’s a big pimp in a year when he’s regressing…on both sides of the ball? Trade one of the 4 outfield “all stars” already or maybe 2 and let Van Stache play more. This team is not World Series material let alone playoffs. I bleed Dodger blue but maybe we need Tommy to run this team and remind these guys who the fuck they are and what they’re capable of. Pathetic.

5. the truth hurts says:

Last year at this time we were 17-24, in last place, 7 games out of 1st.

This year we are 23-21. (Cue the win streak comments, whatever, we are better at this point)

The fat lady is far from singing.

Yes, you are right. The highest payroll on baseball got the Dodgers 6 more wins. Now, tell me they are poised to go 60-12 from here (they paid more).

• the truth hurts says:

Mark, I think even Ray Charles can see that 60-12 is unlikely, but don’t you think I would have said the same exact thing last year at this point if you asked me the same question?

I say innocent until eliminated from playoff contention.

“Our team: some of the parts are good, but they don’t seem to fit into a unit. This has been true for a a long time. I think it’s an attitude that starts with the draft. How many really bleed blue when they are drafted?” — B17

B17, I’m not exactly sure what you’re suggesting, but are you saying that the midgets are better than the sum of their parts because their players are homegrown? Looking at the the midgets’ lineup I see names like Pagan, Pence, Morse, Blanco, and Hicks (who is subbing for Scutaro). None of those players are homegrown.

I’m not ready to indict the Dodgers’ management for the paucity of talent in the system (although I think there’s more than a “paucity” down there). The current ownership didn’t take over until 2012. It’s now only two years later. It takes a lot longer than that to re-build a farm system, especially since the Dodgers don’t typically draft very high, and because international talent that is signed generally consists of a lot of 16, 17 and 18 year olds. It will take several more years before we even get a hint of a continuous pipeline from the minors to the majors in the Dodgers’ system. Also, keep in mind that along with a new ownership that’s willing to scout and sign players worldwide, there was also the imposition of new rules that limit the spending of MLB teams on international talent. So, whereas the Dodgers have by accounts I’ve read, tripled their international scouting presence, fact is, they are now limited on how much they can spend. So even though players like Puig, Guerrero, and Arruebarrena did not fall under the international spending limits, everyone else signed internationally has.

And Mark, I beg to disagree with you. It is early. Matt Kemp is coming back from what amounts to two years out of the lineup, so I’m willing to give him some more time. And from what I’ve seen, he isn’t all that far from making his presence felt in the lineup in a big way. If healthy, I expected that he wouldn’t begin to find himself all the way back until about May or June. So I’m going to give him until June. And if Kemp becomes a real force in the lineup, that’s going to make everyone else around him that much batter, and the lineup that much more difficult to pitch to.

I agree about Hanley, but I’ve said that before. I fully believe that he will pick it up with the bat, but that he will always be a defensive liability. I don’t know if he can be traded during the season, but I would definitely not commit big long term dollars to him. I would think that a big contract following this year would be incentive enough for him to pick it up going forward. Whatever, the case, it would seem to me that he just might make a good fit in Yankee pinstripes. They can afford him, and he’d be a monster in the bandbox they play in, not to mention some of those other AL East ballparks. And last I heard, they have the DH in that league.

Of course, one can never trust PCL stats, but it would appear that Joc Pederson just might be making a strong case for a call-up, and that for now, he would fit very well into a platoon with SVS.

Personally, I would continue to play Gordon everyday at 2B. But that’s because I believe, and always have believed, that he can hit, and that what he’s experiencing now is nothing more than a normal leveling off, and that he will pick it back up again. But that’s my opinion, and certainly remains to be seen. To put it simply, I see Gordon as a player who will get incrementally better as times goes along, and he has time to get more comfortable with more playing time.

The last time that Kershaw pitched a game like last night was in 2010. Hopefully, we don’t see another one of those for another 4 years.

If Agon doesn’t get old very quick, I suspect that he too will begin to pick it back up. In fact, if everybody around him hits (and that includes Hanley and Kemp), then he should start to see a lot of good pitches to hit.

If Guerrero continues to hit, then he probably has to get a call. Whether that includes platooning at 2B, or time on the left side of the Dodgers infield, I don’t have an answer to that yet. And maybe it’s something the Dodgers are trying to figure out before they make a move.

Yimi Garcia’s 1.93 in the PCL sounds awful impressive. If he keeps it up, I can’t imagine him not getting a call. Again, it may be that the Dodgers are holding off a move until they can figure out who he’s going to replace.

Sorry, but as a person who has already been a juror on two murder trials, and who each time voted guilty (the ultimate verdict in both cases), I have no problems with making difficult decisions. However, in this case, I’ll stick with my consistent position, and find that a verdict of “Guilty as Charged” is a bit premature on May 18th when the Dodgers are only 4 games out of first place.

Badger, Ruth Chris Steak House, is offering vets a free 3 course meal on Mem. Day, but you have to call them for a reservation time.

My wife just did and we both get a free meal next Monday at 6:30 (she is retired as well as myself; both with 20 years). Just a heads up.

Dodgers: I worry that Ned will do something foolish like trade for Price and give up some of our future, like: Seager or Pederson or Urias or Lee or Anderson or Reed, etc.

No Kemp in the starting lineup today, no A.J.

I’ve been a vegetarian for 44 years Roger.

Sometimes Mark just throws crap against the wall to see if it will stick. The odds, and most s-perts, say the Tigers and Dodgers will meet in the World Series. In the mean time the Dodgers need to take extra infield practice. And this HAS to be Hanley’s last at SS, no matter where he ends up. He has limited range to begin with and just does not make the plays. His miscue last night (incorrectly ruled a hit) led to Kershaw’s undoing and he already has another error today. He is killing us at shortstop.

Something I don’t understand – why isn’t a wild pitch considered when ruling earned, or unearned runs?

Note to all Dodger pitchers – any pitch belt high over the middle of the plate could cause serious harm to your ERA.

i look forward to seeing what Ned will net from a Ethier/Crawford trade (as well as how much salary Ned has to send out)

Ramirez is suffering from a brain cloud. Parra gave him home and he didn’t take it.

And a line drive right at somebody prevents the game fro being tied. Those things will go our way eventually, but Ramirez needs to get off the Xanax.

14. BOB says:

Rumor, from Donald Duck, is my wish for a long reliever will be filled by Maholm when Ryu comes back this week. I suspect that Ned No Nuts will probably send Withrow to AAA.

It is time to shake things up a little but Ned is clueless regarding what to do while blinded by his pride.

I didn’t even turn on the radio today. 10 minutes watching reruns is all they will get from me.

There appears to be a direct correlation between the shaggy versus traditional look of Ramirez’s facial and head hair and his plate discipline.

I saw Hanley hold at 3rd base and could have scored the 4th run. He was given the go sign by the 3rd base coach, but – alas, he did his own thinking and that got him into trouble. Even if he was out at home, he was sent there by the coach, thus by the team.

No panic button, but the Dodgers are in trouble.

Dodgers are in 3rd place 5 games back and San Diego is in 4th 7 games back with the D-Backs coming fast 10.5 games back.

I would forget the World Series for right now a worry about S.D. & the D-Backs catching the Dodgers soon. Oh, a the Rockies are in 2nd only 3 games out.

If I am Donnie, I am worried. This high priced team just does not have chemistry now.

Beckett goes Tuesday against the Mets — that is a crap shoot with those 82 mph fast balls and 72 mph curve balls.

Comments are closed.