I loved that shot to win the game, but I haven’t changed my opinion of him since the day he was signed by the Red Sox when I said “The Red Sox will rue the day they signed Carl Crawford!”  In his last year in Tampa (2010), he hit .307 and stole 47 bases.  His OPS was .851.  The Red Sox did rue the day they signed him and made the Dodgers take him.   CC’s game is predicated on speed and he hasn’t stolen 47 bases in the next 4 years!  He is not an everyday player anymore at age 32 and he is blocking Joc Pederson and Scott Van Slyke.  So is Andre Ethier!

I know it’s highly unlikely that the Dodgers will get rid of either player, but having 2 lefty hitting aging outfielders is not good for either one.  Both players hit right-handers much better than lefties.  One has to go.  My preference is Crawford, but I think it is highly unlikely that anyone will take him… even if the Dodgers were to pay $60 million of his salary!  That tells you all you need to know.  Scott Van Slyke has to play against lefties which means that Crawford and Ethier will only get about 250 AB’s each this season.  Both have always been starters and I don’t think either one can be effective with that.  They each need 400 – 500 AB’s and they can’t get it here!  Do the math – one has to go!  My choice is that both go!

Dodgers News:

• The Dodgers had better anoint Dee Gordon as the 2B for the rest of the year.  He ignites the team!
  • As I predicted:   “The Los Angeles Dodgers today recalled right-handed pitcher Stephen Fife from Triple-A Albuquerque and optioned right-handed reliever Jose Dominguez to Triple-A Albuquerque.  Fife will start today’s game at Miami, making his 2014 debut, and has gone 4-6 with a 3.49 ERA in 18 Major League games (16 starts) in two seasons with Los Angeles in 2012-13. With Albuquerque, the 27-year-old has allowed just one run in his last 9.0 innings in three games (one start), but overall has gone just 1-2 with a 7.08 ERA in six games (four starts) this season. He last pitched on Wednesday and tossed a scoreless inning of relief against Salt Lake, throwing 10 pitches. “
  • Aaron Miller is back DH’ing for RC.

My Pacers came through yesterday in what was the most raucous game I have ever been to.  The crowd was loud and standing the whole game and everyone except 4 had on Pacers Gold.  “Blue Collar – Gold Swagger!” The Pacers are the only team that can beat the Heat.. if they pull it together.  Don’t judge them by Atlanta – Atlanta has owned the Pacers for about 5 years.  They just can’t play well against Atlanta.

In the interest of equality and affirmative action, I believe that black players should have to wear a 10 pound weight on each leg to make it equal for the white guys.

Earth-Covered-70

Knowing all we know about Crawford, Ethier, their contracts, their redundancy, what is the most logical thing the Dodgers can do about it?

Trade Ethier.

Pederson can wait another year. Or we could trade him for an equally rated catching prospect.

The point that is most relevant to me is without doing anything we have what we need to win it all. We don’t need two LH bench outfielders so move one at the deadline.

Hope you are right about the Pacers.

2. Watford Dodger says:

Don’t know about you guys but I like the presence that Olivio is giving us. He’s hit a bit of pop & seems like a no nonsense sort of player. Very useful sin last night. Fingers crossed job today.

3. Idaho Al says:

It was nice to see Crawford hit the home run. It was also nice to see League pitch well. If League can keep his pitches at the knees, he can be effective.

I do believe Either needs to be traded. Kemp and Puig need to play every day. I would like to see SVS get some playing time against right handed pitchers.

I totally agree on Gordon. He looks like he can hit both left and right handed pitchers. He and Puig belong in the top of line up. They create so many opportunities for the Dodger offense.

4. BOB says:

Just because Donnie has no idea how to manage the bullpen I will help him today:

One inning guys
    1. Wright
    2. Howell
    3. Rodriquez
    4. Jansen

Emergency partial inning guys
    5. Withrow

Extra Innings guys
    6. League
    7. Perez

If the game gets into the 20th inning guys 8. Wilson

Good stats regarding Fife above but his starts have only lasted 4.0, 3.1, 4.0, and 6 innings at AAA. Although today is Sunday I do not Expect a Miracle for Fife today and therefore do not expect a day of rest for the bullpen either. More Fife stats. He is giving up a .422 BA with runners on base. Maybe he is experiencing a little High Anxiety or PTSD (keeping the D until someone other than Bush actually drops it).

When Ellis comes back I would consider keeping 3 catchers and letting Figgins go back to AAA.

I feel so sad for this bullpen. Haren is the only current starter, not counting Kershaw, that is averaging at least 6 innings per start. I understand Beckett and Maholm but Grienke and Ryu? Come On.

5. BOB says:

With some luck Fife will pitch 7 innings and give up 5 runs. Actually that is not too bad considering he lost it last year and the bullpen needs some rest.

Hechevaria is one hell of a ss. Hopefully our SS next year (Arrub, Saegar, whomever), can play defense like that.

I love Hanley as a hitter, but hate him as a defender.

Either way, I’d love to buy any one of you a beer tomorrow night at Nationals Park, or Wed afternoon at Nationals Park!

I’ve been watching games sporadically lately (lots of work + additional time rehabbing my knee, which is coming along fine). My guess is that the Dodgers will find a role for Pederson if he continues to hit at ALBQ., and they can find a taker for one of their outfielders. But just like Puig last year, I wouldn’t expect to see Pederson in LA anytime before late May or June.

As I’ve noted before, I’d trade Ethier before Crawford. Ethier no longer inspires any confidence in me, and it seems as if he’s mostly lost his power. And without power, Ethier doesn’t bring much to the table. Crawford is no longer the player he was in Tampa Bay, but he’s still a good player as long as he can keep himself on the field.

If the Dodgers think Pederson is ready, then I’d love to see a spot opened for him by trading both Ethier and Crawford, with Pederson maybe platooning with SVS. Of course, I have no idea what interest their is from other teams for Ethier and Crawford, and how much money the Dodgers would be willing to eat.

One thing is for sure. The Dodgers will not sit still between now and the trading deadlines in July and August. Tuesday we get back a pretty good pitcher, and hopefully Ryu’s injury isn’t a long term problem. And it appears that the Dodgers are beginning to put some more runs on the board.

I’m not worried about the midgets being 2.5 games in front. Maybe that’s because I remember the 60′s when the Giants would invariably break out in front the Dodgers only to be caught in early July after going into their June swoon.

In the end it comes down to what I and others have said numerous times. With this team it all comes down to health. A healthy Dodgers team will eventually take control of the division, and put the midgets and everyone else in their rearview mirror. If health becomes an issue, then all bets are off. And finally, our current ownership will leave no stone unturned to improve the team.

8. Watford Dodger says:

Lucky you Bobby – wish I was there. Gutting defeat after all that hard work. Hung in there against the odds. I would have gone with Kenley in the 9th.

9. jhallwally says:

I agree… Both Ethier and Crawford need to go.. We will have to eat alot of salary to make it happen… But, I believe it would be addition by subtraction going forward… We will not advance as a team with Crawford and Ethier…. The future is now… Start bringing in the young players…..

Click Here to Leave a Reply