I hate to say “I told you so” but this was what I was afraid of.

Of course, the season is young, but Brian Wilson was… well… frankly very lucky last year.  Not so much this year.

Bullpens are notoriously fickle and fragile and that’s where the Dodgers pen currently sits.

I can’t see League or Wilson on the team come playoffs.

Lying in Bed… Just like Brian Wilson?

april-showers_2

Every team out there is learning things about themselves. The Dodgers are no different. And I’m betting 20 some odd organizations would switch rosters with us in a heartbeat if they didn’t have to take on salaries.

Donnie knows this is a long season. A baseball season is like everything else in life – it has a beginning, a middle and an end. You guys have all had year long projects that don’t end like they start. This team will gather itself and make the necessary adjustments.

From what I know about Brian Wilson, which honestly isn’t much, he is a hard working determined young man. If this can be fixed, he will fix it. But it can’t happen in our bullpen anymore. He needs to go to Albuquerque and find his command. League appears to be a better option, and along with Withrow and Dominguez, and Paco very soon, the bullpen will likely still be very strong. The starters are good, and will get better with Kershaw’s return….. provided he does return. I think all of the starters will get stronger and add an inning to their outings by mid summer.

Not sure what to make of the non clutch hitting of this team. They need to get more focused with ducks on the pond. That stat is crucial in winning more games than your division rivals. We stink so far, and are still doing ok in the standings. Kemp isn’t himself yet, Ramirez is coming around and Puig will only get better with experience.

What I have done over the last few years, with an excellent success rate, is check what fangraphs predicts for players, and adjust + or – about 5% and I am in the ballpark. If you can afford it, add Pecota to your favorites list, then hide and watch. The pros that do those stats are very good at it. There is a reason why the Dodgers are favorites and are at the top of the power rankings. We were 1 last week, 3 this week, and will remain at or near the top all year.

Gordon will likely have a good year, but he won’t hit .300, unless he is platooned, then he might have a shot. Uribe won’t play 162 games and Kemp won’t hit .200 with 150 strike outs. These things will work themselves out over time. The important thing to me is, unlike during the mcDouchebag years, we have options. We are a better team, and a stronger organization, than anyone in our division. I like what I see when I read about the new Dodgers.

I remain confident.

2. Watford Dodger says:

Mark you may well be right. I was prepared to give him time but frankly he doesn’t look like getting the ball past the bat. We have so many players both offensively & defensively below par that it’s amazing we are above .500

Another hard watch last night. Kemp’ head isn’t right. Swinging at everything.

SVS playing his way onto the team – a must against lefties.

3. Anonymous says:

“In this league, you end up in the game every day” – Don Mattingly

Yep. And knowing that everybody should be working hard and be anxious to show their worth. So far that All Star 4 man outfield is hitting about .225. That will get better. The team defense may not.

Any news on moving Wilson?

Dodgers pitchers on pace to give up 91 unearned runs.

That might not get fixed. This is just not a good defensive team.

So…… pitch like Cy Koufax and hit like Mickey Ruth.

5. Artieboy says:

A better question is how many more pitches will be thrown because of those errors? Particularly among the starting pitchers. May have an impact later on as arms start to tire because they had to face one or two extra batters numerous times.

Quiet in here.

Anybody read Nosler’s suggestion about the outfield?

“Start Kemp and Yasiel Puig every day, regardless of the matchup Rotate the other three outfielders.”

A strong argument is then made to support the idea. Makes sense as long as Crawford and Ethier are hitting so poorly.

• Pgunn says:

Also Butera looks a better bet than FedEx.

If you would’ve bet me that at the beginning of the season, there is no way I would bet against FedEx. Not a single chance.

I too, am quite shocked when Matts name isn’t in the starting lineup. If he is healthy he needs to play. Ditto on Butera. Hope its “Good vibrations” tonight.

Something is beginning to tell me that the 2014 season is not going to be as easy as some of YOU have led me to believe . . .

Right now, Dodger pitching is trying find itself.

Right now, Dodgers hitting is up and down and being matched by teams you cannot believe.

9. BOB says:

Nice lineup configuration tonight!

1. Speed
    2. Speed
    3. Slowing
    4. Slow
    5. Speed
    6. Speed
    7. Slowing
    8. Slow

Donnie The Man moves a $20 mil veteran to 6th in the lineup. Never too old to ManUp Donnie. He needs to continue to patiently show these players that their are consequences for their failures.

These guys still swing at balls out of the strike zone. Stop it. It’s hard enough to hit strikes on the screws. None of you are Clemente or Sandoval. Lay off bad pitches!!

Beckett pitching well enough to win.

Gordon…. what are you doing in the baseline taking the throw from the catcher? Get in front of the bag dummy! That could have easily been an out. Fundamentals on defense. This team sucks at them.

12. BOB says:

This poor bullpen can’t get a break. Not caused by the starter this time. Hooray for Beckett.

The 5 planned starters all have ERAs under 2.50. Would the Dodger starter ERA with Kershaw pitching on a regular rotation, and without Maholm, be under 2.00?

I agree that things will likely work themselves out over time. Quite frankly, all that’s needed is for this team to score more runs. That would even take care of the bullpen problem. Certainly is frustrating watching this team inning after inning unable to push across a single run. But there is nothing wrong with this team that a nice little 10 game winning streak wouldn’t cure.

I too remain confident. But that doesn’t mean that there still isn’t some head scratching in our futures.

That was a game that should not have gone to extra innings. 2 for 7 RISP. More clutch hit when it counts and the Dodgers win that game.

Ethier, Crawford and Kemp all behind schedule. I don’t know why, maybe being veterans they don’t take April seriously. They all count, obviously, but I can see these three players rounding into form later. In the mean time an excellent effort by Beckett wasted.

15. Jason says:

I agree with you Badger. What Adrian said seems to support that:

“It hasn’t been the best homestand,” said Gonzalez. “But it’s still April, we’ve got a winning record and we’re right there.”

If the team can just mark time for the next several weeks, I can see this summer being very productive. We are still over .500 without Kershaw, Kemp, Ethier, and Hanley doing what they usually do and with an enormous hole in the lineup where our catcher hits.

Click Here to Leave a Reply