• There’s nothing wrong with Clayton Kershaw.  The Dodgers just want to keep him fresh for the end of the season.
  • The Dodgers are very worried about Brian Wilson.
  • Matt Kemp is completely healthy and has apparently bought into playing with less recklessness.
  • Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez are lighter and in better shape than ever – we will see how that translates.
  • Brandon League will get a few opportunities in non-pressure situations, but if he falters, the Dodgers aren’t afraid to eat his contract.  The leash is not long…
  • The Dodgers will give Alexander Guerrero plenty of time at AA for two reasons (1) to make sure sure he gets acclimated at 2B and is confident; and (2) to give Dee Gordon time to show if he can be a difference-maker.
  • Barring a big injury, Andre Ethier will be traded sooner than later.
  • Watch for Chad Billingsley to return better than he was by May 10.
  • Hanley Ramirez will surprise everyone with his defense.
  • Yasiel Puig has bought in and is seeking advise from the vets.  Look for a slow start from him, but watch him in a month.
  • Finally, Ned Colletti will look like a genius when Juan Uribe has a career year!

OurPeopleMakeTheDifference

All of that could happen. Some of it will happen. Most of it better happen.

The Dodgers have a lot of money tied up in 30 year old talent. These guys, when healthy, are really good. But there has been something going on in LA for a while – and that something is injuries. It all comes down to keeping our guys off the DL. Which brings me back to my main concern – depth.

One thing to improve Hanley at SS is his double-clutch on throws . . . he is not smooth like some SS on taking the ball and getting rid of it — from time to time.

3. Quasimodo says:

Kinda like which would win a gun fight was usually the one that sighted his gun before pulling the trigger. But you are right, Roger. And being so also its a fair point that 3B isn’t a position for Hanley.

Got all of that one.

I’m not concerned about Hanley at short. He’s here to hit.

Announced earlier Kersaw out at least 3 weeks. Is that from now or from then? Perhaps his his first year of his enormous deal is the first year he doesn’t start 30?

Not one to chime in any time a thought pops up in my head but my hats off to Dee on that at bat. And how about that line drive he caught that nearly knocked him over.

The Kershaw injury? is it from pitching tooooo long in that first game?

Or, from the plane ride down and back some 18-19 hours each way?

I have done the 19 hours down to Sydney back about 4 years ago. Then sailed back on a 30 day cruise . . . no upper back or neck problem then.

Ramirez 1 for 14. But I think both his and Gonzalez’ fly balls are out in LA.

Could it be Kershaw was just due for an owie? He throws really hard.

Yes, it was a great at bat by Gordon. But I have to say I don’t like him hitting behind Ellis.

8. Quasimodo says:

Gene Autry owned KTLA channel 5 TV. He had trouble gaining broadcasting rights of sports in the LA area. So he bought a franchise and thus had all rights. Commercials of products paid the bill for all TV viewers. But shortly after cable television came. I remember $15 a month got you better reception of all 6 TV channels and also many radio stations. The cable services were mostly locally owned and named as such. Apple Valley TV became Apply Valley Cable and thus reached more viewers and raised the value for sponsorships. The private cable services are gone and many more middlemen have stepped in. I’ve jumped through several hoops and I still see the commercials who once upon a time paid for me to watch them. I’m really beginning to wonder if this all isn’t just an incredible money making machine and all paths lead to the same destination. Do the Guggenheims also own TWC and Directv and all the other providers? Why wouldn’t they?

Wow, I just deleted much more of my ranting than there is above with examples of other money making machines. I’m sorry for my rants that appear as I’m framing conspiracies.

• T.O.Dave says:

Actually, not cable but pay tv. Scrambled signal that one had to pay to watch if I recall. I remember seeing movies and home Dodger games so it was groundbreaking.

• grumpy3b says:

Anyone remember the failed Dodger Vision? It was a cable product setup as a sort of PPV/subscription thing. Or am I misremembering something from, I think the 80s? But it was a regional product as I remember. I think it was still under the O’Malley reign.

And yeah, I recall OnTV as a kid. Heck I remember my mom ranting we would NEVER pay $6/mo to watch TV. Which in her older years turned into “…I want the Game Show Network whatever the cost…” Heck since I was paying she had no prob at all spending my cash, ahhhh, Mom’s are funny.

I think MLB and NBA kinda screwed up by not evolving their online products into a universal product the could market via cable, online via computer and various streaming devices like Roku. But given anyone can find free ways to watch any game live it’s fault out nuts to keep on with the current models. It’s like DRM on music, ebooks and video. Never once was I shut out looking around to see what could be had. No different for online live sports.

Heck using HMA is likely considered akin to pirating by the cable providers even if they don’t offer the LA SportsNet thing around the country. Face it the whole reason we saw sports on TV or could hear them on radio was so they could sell more razor blades. It’s not about making the fans happy it’s about the ad revenue as these days creating new “revenue centers” from a customer base with a flat growth curve.

Geeze, it’s easy to get off on a rant about the whole thing. But I’m never gonna pay to watch the Dodgers so it doesn’t really matter…no cable/satellite for nearly 15yrs and never miss anything I want to see on TV wherever I may be.

I still wonder what fallout is going to happen with Comcast’s buying of TWC in terms of the Dodger’s deal as well as others around the country. Until that purchase is pending approval I doubt there will be a deal with Comcast, period, due to potential conflict of interest. So Comcrap subscribers might be screwed for a few years yet, or at least until the first deal is done with another cable provider not named Comcrap. Perhaps then as long as the deal is the same it’s OK but even then who knows if it should be allowed…of course I don’t think Comcrap should be allowed to buy TWC.

9. Rob says:

So Donnie commits to bunt runners over the last game but does not do it when figgins gets on? He cost Puig an RBI and probably a dodger victory. Hanley looks way off and it must be infecting agon and Andre.

Some of this Dodger team is ready for 2014. Others are not. The Pen needs some fixing, Honey.
    Hanley and Agon and Ethier and not on the beam.

Jansen usually has 2 or 3 Ks in the 9th. Now he is trying to find control.

Sounds like a lot of Dodger fans there in San Diego.

Agree Roger. 3-4-5 are all batting under .134. Ramirez and AGon are under .100. Many of these guys look like it’s still Spring Training. Don’t know how long it will take but I expect they will come around.

Sellout at Chavez against the midgets? Believe so.

I should have checked the schedule more carefully. Just assumed this was a 10 pm game here in the east. Realized the game was on when I went to the Dodgers website and saw it was the 6th inning.

I can’t get overly concerned after 4 games. I have to believe it’s just a matter of time before Agon and Hanley start hitting.

It might be telling that Wilson wasn’t used in the 8th, since the Dodgers did have yesterday off.

I guess some of that stuff Mark mentioned above could be true, and some of it probably isn’t. I’m just not clairvoyant enough to pick and choose. But I definitely have no doubts that the Dodgers will eat League’s contract if he doesn’t produce. This year is about winning, and winning makes money. If League isn’t producing, eating his contract is probably a good investment.

Maybe Puig got ticked off that Mark said he’ll get off to a slow start.

12. jerry says:

dodgers played to many rookies in spring training and the starters didnt get much time to get ready..it will take awhile…or we will not be the time every one thinks.

I believe that all teams (players especially) will say that Spring Training IS TOO LONG.

Most come to camp, ready to play . . . just need three weeks at most to tune up.

Nerve irritation. In an arm that’s already had two TJ’s? Oh crap.

The veterans know what takes. We are 3-1 and have not played very well. It will be a lot if fun when Kemp gets back and everyone starts hitting.

“We are 3-1 and have not played very well. It will be a lot if fun when Kemp gets back and everyone starts hitting.”

Exactly.

Guess this means that Wilson will not meet the criteria he has in his contract to earn a second year. Is someone coming up tomorrow? Dominguez? Or maybe I’m forgetting someone. Also with Beckett due back later this month and Billingsley maybe in May, there are pitching changes ahead. And if League doesn’t perform, he could go to make room for one of those guys.

Kershaw will not pitch until May. I told you we cannot trust what the Dodgers say about injured players. Now what about Wilson? “Mattingly tried to take an optimistic view, pointing out the exam showed no damage to the twice-repaired ligament in the elbow.” There is some truth in that statement. The elbow has been surgically repaired twice. Let me be the first to predict we won’t again see Wilson pitch like he did in those 13 innings last year. The good news is we have enough pitchers to throw somebody out there. The bad news is we are going to need to score more runs to win the games that Kershaw would have pitched.

Click Here to Leave a Reply