Running through crocodile-infested swamps to evade Cuban hit squads, swimming in the ocean to escape Cuba, being held hostage by Black Market Smugglers or Mexican Drug Lords, a daring raid by a shady Miami criminal… ‘er businessman, clutch home-runs, RPG missile-like throws to gun down runners, dope-fiend moves on the bases, incredible running and sliding catches, silly arrests, clowning on baseballs tradition and seeming to rise to any occasion – that’s the Legend that IS Yasiel Puig and he’s our Puig!

I can safely say there will never be another.

If you haven’t read how he escaped Cuba, the link is HERE.  It’s an interesting read.  It’s a sordid tale and you can believe whatever you want, because everyone has huge reasons to lie.At any rate, it’s an amazing tale and if I were the Dodgers, I would have a 24-hour security detail with Yasiel.  The people involved here are not choirboys!  There is a price for everything… some of what you don’t want to pay.

Rants and Raves

• Brian Wilson’s velocity is back and that’s good!
  • Kenley Jansen’s velocity is back and that may be a bad thing, but I think he will work it out.  To me, he seems tougher to hit at 93-94 instead of 98 to 99.
  • Teams are going to continue to pitch Hanley Ramirez inside unless they know the results won’t be good.  He’s going to get hurt again… the staff has to protect him.  That’s all!  Just do it!
  • Carl Crawford looks old.
  • I don’t think Dee Gordon is going to suddenly “lose it.”
  • One could argue that Juan Uribe has been the best player on the Dodgers this year and not be considered delusional!
  • My son if fine and so are the 3 other kids.  One is still in the hospital after surgery on a fractured pelvis.  Thanks for all the kind words – I appreciate it very much.

april-showers_2

1. Bob says:

Mark,

Check out this article by TJ Simers. http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/04/18/4066711/tj-simers-puigs-lack-of-effort.html

It incudes a comment by Simers:

:Colletti also served time as an assistant GM in San Francisco, and then introduced himself to Dodgers fans by signing former Giants pitcher Jason Schmidt to a $47 million contract while knowing Schmidt had a torn rotator cuff.”

Is that possible? Could Colletti possible do that?

Let me know what you think.

Bob

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/04/18/4066711/tj-simers-puigs-lack-of-effort.html#storylink=cpy

Most of us here were bitching about Jed from the beginning and for me THAT was the signature move.

I see Crawford as a 1.8 WAR player. Ethier is a 3 WAR player…… in Boston or Texas, not here. He is playing his way off this team. But not yet. Let him have his first hot streak then pick up the phone.

Not going to comment on everything, because I’m here on my iPhone following partial knee replacement this morning. Everything appears to have gone well, and I’m to go home tomorrow. Since I’m on the DL, the Dodgers can bring up a player to replace me (SMILE).

I too was impressed with Wilsson’s velocity, and hope it’s a harbinger of good things to come. As for Jansen, it appears as if his cutter is cutting like we’ve come to expect. Is increased velocity the cause of that? I don’t know. Maybe. My guess is that he and the Dodgers will figure it out. I’d also like to see him pitch up and in more. It also seems to me that he’s not throwing strikes as consistently as before. Jansen had become a strike throwing machine, but not lately.

Hard to proof read this on the iPhone, so I apologize if I made goofy mistakes above.

Read my posted comment, and found a goofy mistake. Obviously I meant to say that Jansen’s cutter has NOT been cutting as much as we’ve grown accustomed to.

5. Watford Dodger says:

Roger – just read your last post on the previous thread and you make 3 points.
    They are all correct. You have a very astute eye for the game.
    Mark – Yasiel Puig is definately not a legend.

D-B’s tonight. But we had a group over for dinner and then watched Feaver Pitch with Jimmy Fallon, about the Red Sox fan . . . funny stuff.

Anyway, turing on the Dodger game, NO hits . . . Gee, are the D-B’s in first place of something?

Watford — thanks for the comment . . . but the 3 guys I mentioned need to get going.

Enough of this fooling around.

But I did say over the winter a couple of times. Just as the Dodgers won last season, they can lose some of those games this season, 1-0, 3-2, etc. because other teams will be gunning for them. Now, add the injuries and add the terrible hitting and add the sloppy fielding at times — and it could hurt, bad.

8. Rob says:

So they walk agon to get to kemp because his numbers suck against Ziegler. It was Donnie’s chance to pitch hit Ethier or Crawford but he doesn’t force gibsons hand. Donnie sucks!

9. jerry says:

THE PRESS KEEPS SAY WE HAVE A GREAT BULL PEN…I JUST DONT KNOW WHERE THEY ARE LOOKING…WE HAVE HAD BIG LEADS THAT WE ALMOST BLEW.AND TO NIGHT THE BULL PEN BLEW THIS ONE IN THE 12TH

Jerry, I don’t see it as the bullpen blowing the game in the 12th. They did fine getting to the 12th. Can’t expect the pen to never give up runs. Problem is the offense, which has been putting enormous pressure on the pen. If the Dodgers would score some runs there would be few, if any pitching problems, starters or relievers.

Thanks for all the encouraging and kind words. Mark, I feel like I’m in the dugout. The Dodgers are hitting like I would. Watford, I’ll think of you during rehab, and work extra hard.

Our lead off guys don’t score much. 0 for 5 WRISP. That number must improve. The pen has been hit and miss. Just another April game as far as I’m concerned.

Early in the season. Some players around MLB are off to great starts, others, terrible starts. Same with teams. D-Backs were off to a terrible start, now they are serious and producing.

Gee, I look around and Loney had 4 RBIs last night to lead Tampa Bay.

Harang (who Ned threw away) is now 3-1 with an ERA of 0.70. Given up 9 hits in 25.2 innings.

Pitching has not been the Dodgers concern. As Brooklyn said above == hitting has.

FedEx still only has 2 hits, but last night he hit the ball deep a couple of times and just missed going out.

Hanley seems to be hitting ok, but not in key situations. Only 7 RBIs and could have had a bunch more.

Oh well, we can bitch as much as we want — but the Dodgers are playing kind of dead ball now — great starting pitching — and not much situational hitting when it counts. It is not where they are in the standing that counts now, it is that they are not playing winning baseball when it does count.

Maybe today . . .

13. BOB says:

A good team record of 10-7 equals 95 win pace
    Starting pitching record of 9-2 is great but they do not pitch enough innings
    Relivers record of 1-5 is terrible, they pitch in too many games, and give up way too many walks
    League is currently better than Jansen. WOW.
    Reliever ERA is good but they are not performing in high stress situations. Maybe Ned should sign some veterans.
    Best positions players, comparatively, speaking are still Uribe and Gordon.
    Worst are still, by far, the Catchers and CFs.

Gonzalez is 2nd in SLG among 1B!
    Gordon is first in SB!
    Uribe is 2nd in 2Bs and 4th in HRs among 3B!
    Rameriz is 2nd in 2Bs among SS!
    LF group is 4th is SB!
    RF group is 3rd in BBs!

Catchers are 30th in BA. Argh.
    CF are 29th in most SO. Double Argh.

There remain many positive things and a few claring negatives on this team.

7 runs in the last 4 games. A team slump has started. Time to get to work and readjust the hitting approach.

Perez is obviously too fat and out of shape to go 2 innings and Donnie should have know that.

Dare I say that the Dodgers still need a real long reliever.

Click Here to Leave a Reply