• When your #3 and #4 hitters go 6 for 8, you generally have a pretty good chance of winning, especially if your starter and bullpen give up only two hits and you also happen to be playing a very bad team!  Sorry D-Bag fans, but you don’t have much this year.  Couldn’t happen to nicer people.
  • Dee Gordon has earned (in a short sampling) the right to leadoff and Donnie just needs to put him there.  Frankly, I would let Gordon hit against Miley today.  I think when you are hitting .405 you have earned that right.  Let’s see how savvy Donnie is about this.
  • Zach Lee pitched a nice game last night but I  remain unconvinced that he will ever be any more than a #4.  Just my opinion… unless he suddenly develops Adam Wainright-like control, which isn’t likely!
  • Chris Reed is starting to put it together (6 IP/2 Hits/9 K’s last night) after a difficult 2013.  He’s looking more-and-more like a starter – I wasn’t convinced last year.
  • Corey Seager is knocking on Chattanooga’s door… and he’s still a shortstop!
  • While we are talking about moving up, Tom Windle pitched 6 last night with no ER’s – his ERA is now 0.82.  It’s early, but he’s looking good too.
  • Keep your eyes on Kyle Farmer – I like him a lot!
  • Alexander Guerrero and Erisbel Arrubarrena are exceptionally good at the “phantom play at 2B” – no one has seen either of them!  Did you know that Arrubarrena is bigger than Guerrero?  Whatever that means…
  • No excuses!
  • Greinke could throw a No-No tonight!

Watch this video if you want to see a guy who has an excuse be refuses to use it!

spring-sale-ending

1. Bobbie17 says:

Finally. A total game. If this team is as good as we hope, there should be a lot more of these. I hope we can do this 3 times in SF next week. Ryu can pitch. Kind of a classic approach. Great pitcher’s mentality. Others can learn from watching him.

I think I agree with everything you said. Damn.

I also have seen that 1 legged dude’s before and after workout pics. That pic is on my laptop as motivation. Amazing. I don’t even know his story. I don’t know if he’s a good dude or a jerk. I just know anyone with 1 leg who can lean out like that has something going for him!

3. the truth hurts says:

Agreed Mark. This is waht I want to see:

Gordon
    Crawford
    Ramirez
    Agon
    Puig
    Kemp
    Uribe
    Fedex
    Pitcher

Jansen is reminding me way to much of Broxton lately, scary scary thought.

Last night as I watched the game . . . I began to cry. This is what many thought would happen from day 1 of the season. Hitting, pitching, relief, and the coming together of the team to show they cared and could play together.

See, when the main guy hit and produce, a team can carry a light hitting catcher.

Nice.

Dropped my MLB package yesterday. I kept having buffering issues along with getting kicked out every two minutes. Even with the HMA software, it would still come up an say my registered address shows the game is blacked out. I guess I will be listening to the radio until Direct TV and Time Warner can work it out. This sucks……..

Vujicic has been around for a while. I didn’t watch the video. Is his wife in it?

73 yesterday and maybe 8″ of snow tomorrow. Denver blows.

If my buffering issues continue, I’m dumping mlb too Bill. Got a tech kid working on it while I’m gone n

I have no buffering problems on the following:

i-Phone

i-Pad

Home computer

Laptop

I do have occasional problems at the office because Comcast Business sucks!

It has to do with your devices.

Billy,

You have to pick a IP Address across the country…

73 yesterday and maybe 8″ of snow tomorrow. Denver blows.

If my buffering issues continue, I’m dumping mlb too Bill. Got a tech kid working on it while I’m gone.

My bad. iPhone double post.

Just watched the end of the midgets Rockies. All of a sudden the runts can’t hit. Hope it lasts a while. I think I get to see the Dodgers tonight.

10. Jason says:

Badger, are you on WiFi at home or do you have the laptop/desktop hard wired in?

Did you ever run any speed tests? Run a few and see what results you get.

Mlb.tv has one as well:

mlb.mlb.com/tools/bandwidthdetect/

Do you have other devices/tv’s that are streaming content while using mlb.tv?

All good questions Jason. Did a speed test and was told it was fine. It is wifi nothing else streaming and has an Ethernet cable as well. Nothing else is streaming. I have a feeling it’s my Walmart hp 2000 though I’ve been told by techies it isn’t. I ontkno. I got a young guy taking care of our cats while we’re gone, he’s taking a look at all that stuff. Thanks for asking.

Team looks great so far. Dbacks look troubled. Oh well.

I not sure who said it first but you’re correct, Matt is not a center fielder anymore. I can’t count how many balls I have seen hit over his head[wall phobia?] or mis played by him in the few games he has played so far. The thought of him in center and Carl in left is a nightmare waiting to happen.

12. BOB says:

Both starters will be lucky to complete 5 innings tonight.

Is Scottie currently better than Kemp? Hopefully Kemp still has an up side. He still should hit in the 7th slot for a few weeks until his bat comes around.

The Dodger pitchers have been very good so far and in 11 games they have only performed poorly 4 times and the Dodgers won one of those games. The bats are coming around, especially the middle of the order. A little more improvement in the fielding and the Dodger might stay on pace for 100 wins.

13. Idaho al says:

I agree with you Badger, Withrow is pitching well. He did have control problems this evening. Paco is also doing well. This will force the Dodgers to make some tough decisions,but they need to do what is right.

14. BOB says:

Leaque has been fixed, his arm was neutered.

Another win, first place, second best record in MLB, and an awesome road team so far. All this playing below average teams with important players on the DL. On pace for over 100 wins so nowhere to go but down.

Butera got two hits and even Figgins got one too against the Done-Backs.

Time to platoon Kemp and Ethier who just a few years ago wre the future Stars of the Dodgers.

However, when 5 relievers have been used in more than half of the games then you gotta get a long reliever or pitch Leaque every other day as a prelude to releasing him so that Withorw and Paco are not both sent to AAA when the reinforcements arrive from the DL. Please save the bullpen arms for the playoffs.

If at some point League is released, I don’t believe it will come until the Dodgers find another arm to replace him. That could be Dominguez if he can find the command he’s currently missing. Withrow’s success is built around his harnessing the command of his breaking stuff. Hitters can no longer go up to the plate looking for just the heat. For Dominguez to have success he’s going to have to do the same thing. I’ve seen signs of it at times, but not often enough.

I’m one of those who has mentioned that Kemp belongs in a corner outfield spot. It’s not “wall phobia” he has. He just gets lousy jumps, like the other night when Anibal Sanchez doubled over his head. A good CF would have gotten to that ball. However, I have full confidence in Kemp’s bat if he stays healthy, and continues to play. I can’t even believe anyone would suggest platooning him. As I recall both of his HRs came against Matt Cain, who last I looked, was a righthander. If the Dodgers continue to play well, then they can afford to be patient and allow Kemp the time to get his act together. All Kemp needs is to play, something he hasn’t done much of since he got hurt in 2012. Hopefully he breaks out soon, but it could take a while. But when it happens, it’s going to be worth the wait. And while we’re waiting, I don’t think he’s going to hit .000. It just may be a while before we see vintage Kemp.

The Dodgers are in first place with an 8-4 record. The Dbacks are in trouble, and the midgets don’t scare me. And I have confidence that the Dodgers will leave no stone unturned to fix whatever has to be fixed. And let’s remember, teams generally don’t look the same at the end of the season as they did at the beginning.

16. BOB says:

I can’t believe anyone would suggest that Dominquez be called up. His fastball has less movement than Broxton’s. But then some people are never wrong because their choice of lifestyle is full of convincing themselves that they are never wrong.

I don’t have a problem with suggesting Dominguez. I saw him throw two pitches, one 96 and one 86. If he can spot those two, he can get an innings worth of outs.

Ethier has to get at bats and he can play center field well. I don’t believe a platoon with Kemp will be done, not yet anyway, but Ethier will play out there. If all four are playing well they just have to share the time. If they are team players they will do so and shut up about it.

Reading is fundamental. I didn’t suggest that the Dodgers bring up Dominguez now. I said that he’s a candidate at some point (be it sooner or later) to replace League, once he fine tunes his command, and gets more consistent with his breaking stuff. Yes, his fastball is straight, but then again so is Withrow’s. Withrow has overcome that by getting his offspeed breaking stuff over consistently, not allowing hitters to sit on the straight heat. And though I forgot it yesterday, another candidate is Brian Wilson, who is scheduled to come off the DL soon. And so is Maholm later on if he doesn’t begin to pick it up.

And let’s stop the Broxton stuff. I know there’s a disagreement concerning him around here, but to me, and others, it’s pretty clear that Broxton’s downward slide began when Joe Torre had him throwing lots of pitches over a span of just a few days. Don’t remember the exact numbers. Broxton’s problem was never his straight fastball when he had that hard biting slider. He’s been on the decline since the slider starting biting less and he lost something off the fastball. But then, Torre had a reputation for killing relief pitchers.

Agon has 4 homers in 12 games, a pace that will bring him 54 at the end of the season. Mark’s prediction of 35 is looking better all the time.

Watching Greinke yesterday should be an education for young pitchers. His fastball was around 92 all day, but he mixed pitches masterfully and placed them surgically. Anybody who throws 96 needs only to have another off speed pitch and learn to hit corners consistently. Gagne was the perfect example of what you can do with two basic pitches and command of both – with one of those pitches being a high 90’s fastball. What I’ve seen from Dominguez I consider prelusive effort with auspicious promise. He and Withrow both have closer stuff. A few months of working on throwing strikes and these guys will help this club. I would keep Wright for the ocassional 2-3 inning outings needed. Maholm has value for now, but if everybody gets back as scheduled he may be superfluous.

Badger, you just boosted my vocabulary. Never came across the word “prelusive” until now. Just to be sure, I looked it up, and can confirm it’s a real word. Of course, learning this only reinforces the unfortunate truth I’ve had to come to accept, i.e., I don’t know everything (SMILE!!!!!).

Greinke is a perfect example of a pitcher who has learned to pitch. He no longer has the high 90’s fastball of his Cy Young days, but manages to get by quite well with a low 90’s fastball, a variety of off-speed stuff, the ability to change speeds, and he commands everything to both sides of the plate. When he’s on, it’s like watching a skilled surgeon at work. Even when he’s not completely on, like last night, he can still be masterful. Withrow seems to be getting better at that, while Dominguez, while he shows flashes of it at times, is still not quite there yet. Hopefully he can take the next step.

21. http://gashka.com says:

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get got an impatience over that you wish be delivering
    the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly
    the same nearly very often inside case you shield
    this hike.