Matt Wieters is a catcher I have always liked.  I know his numbers have declined somewhat and stat geeks may tear this idea up, but see – I don’t really care, now, do I?

Matt is a stud.  He has power and I am betting that in the NL and playing 125-130 games a year, he would have 5 or 6 productive years ahead of him.  AJ Ellis could be his backup (sorry AJ).  He will likely get a big arbitration award next year and then his will hit free agency the next year..  Maybe the Dodgers could negotiate a 6 year/$80 million deal with him if he were to be traded to LA.

Baltimore is cheap (and often stupid) so why try and strike a deal?  How about Zach Lee, Joc Pederson, Pedro Baez and FedEx to Baltimore for Weiters?  Baltimore gets a young starter, possible closer (they have closer issues), a young outfielder who has “very good” written all over him and a defensive catcher.  The Dodgers get a stud catcher.  Of course, Matt is from South Carolina, so maybe he is not a West Coast Guy.  Maybe the Orioles wouldn’t do it, but if they would, I’d jump all over it!

I just think this would be a nice piece for the Dodgers, especially a power hitting catcher at #6 or #7 in the order.  YIKES!

worlds-best

1. TMWISH says:

This is bad for the opposite reason of your Andrew M deal. Way too much to give up for wieters who is a nice starting caliber C. But comes with less than 2 years of playing time which means you now have to pay him and has not gotten better as he has aged. He is not the kinda player you give up 2 top 100 prospects for. Definitely not joc. You possibly could imagine a deal around lee, but even that is a lot.

2. ernest reyes says:

Would never happen; besides this is an overpayment – way over. In fact, it this proposal a joke?

They Dodgers have been adamant about not trading their farm away, and this proposition does just that. And as I noted above, this is too much for the likes of Weiters.

I can’t speak much for his defensive prowess, but I get the sense from the Dodgers that they value the skills behind the plate more than what a catcher can hit at the plate. For a team that is likely to be geared as a pitching first club, I think defense/pitch calling/framing type skills from a catcher is what they place a premium on.

3. Quasimodo says:

Hi all, been without internet since last Wednesday and just got it back today. I did see those 4 HR’s split between Kemp and HanRam Sunday-but I’m certain that is old news here. Got to catch up with reading here and elsewhere.

4. Reggie says:

Long time…

I love that trade. Zach Lee is probably a #5 at best, while Baez is blocked by Jansen. Pederson may or may not be all that and FedEx is a backup. I cannot see why Dodger fans wouldn’t like this. I can see why Oriole fans might not like it!

• TMWISH says:

How is a relief pitcher ever blocked by the closer? No one but you thinks Lee is a 5 and Pederson has a ton of talent and potential he is the best OF talent the dodgers have developed since Kemp

I think, this season, FedEx would hit about the same as AJ, surely no worse. That would be almost impossible. So if FedEx can carry the glove and throwing arm and the pitching staff like him — go with FedEx and not give up several key young farm guys.

Ned does need to have a plan for a future catcher. Maybe that will be their first draft in position in June.

6. emerson-Lake says:

Or maybe we should just suck it up and play Fed-Ex and Butera, ask our real hitters to be the hitters they are, and hang on to our best young players. It’s really not all that long, and I think it would be disruptive to chemistry to bury Ellis who I think is a bigger part of our character and heart than he’s given credit for. Makes great little youtube stuff too. Let’s let our guys take on the challenge of adversity and see what they’re made of–besides money, of course. And Joc needs to be a Dodger–he’s got blue genes.

We went into this year knowing we weren’t going to get much offense out of the catching position. And if you’re serious, you want to give up a team controlled starting pitcher AND an outfielder we may actually use this year, plus Baez and FedX for a 28 year old catcher coming off a 99 OPS+ year?

Why not just stick with the plan and plug in another, different but the same, catcher?

TMWISH (he were smarter) speaks in absolutes. There is no grey area (maybe no gray matter either). He’s right – only his opinion counts. I guess he’s a legend in his own mind. You go boy!

See, here’s the deal – It is a suggestion and something I would do. You can disagree, but don’t be stupid when you do. That’s all. It’s an opinion, not an absolute fact.

Learn this – some of the best trades look bad at the time, but look good later.

• TMWISH says:

See I am just putting my opinion out there. And at least backing it up with some facts. And the more I thought about the more it sounds even worse cause the difference between AJ and Weiters is very small.

10. HawkeyeDodger says:

They need to find a decent veteran to send to Albuquerque, release Butera, and go with FedEX and Olivo. FedEx will do just fine. He’ better defensively than Ellis and with some consistent AB’s, he’ll show some power.

11. RogerCraig says:

Wieters is a stud at 6′ 5″ and 240 pounds. Kind of like Mike Sciosca but with power. He’s a good catcher – I get to see him a lot since I am an East Coaster. The West Coast guys don’t know what he is all about. However, Baltimore would need more than that!

Based on Wieters’ numbers, I doubt if I’d do that deal.

None of the guys you propose giving up has proved anything yet, but potential is worth something, and probably more than a catcher who apparently has never fully liven up to the hype. He’s got power, and maybe he’d be a nice catcher to have, but not at that price. I think the Dodgers might be looking around for a catcher, but I doubt that they’re desperate.

13. Reggie says:

RDLR worked out well, don’t you think?

Trayvon became a star!

Lindblom, Broxton, Webster, Bell, McDonald, LaRoche – on and on.

Most don’t make it.

I’d take a stud catcher anyday.

Admittedly I don’t know much about him. He had 2 pretty good years, age 25 and 26, fell off dramatically age 27 and is now 28. Are his best years behind him? Common sense and stats say yeah, probably, especially since moving a bat to LA is usually a death sentence. I would like to believe for that much talent in return we could get somebody on their way up.

I don’t include Pederson in this trade. I think he’s the real deal. I agree with Badger that AJ wasn’t going to give us much anyway but could handle the pitching staff pretty well. FedEX should be able to step in and do the same job.

16. Ira says:

I live in Baltimore and grew up in NY. Went to the 55 and 56 world series against the Yanks. Yesterday I was talking to my friend about the Dodgers acquiring Matt Wieters. I think you are right on with your analysis. However your trade package seems a little “rich”. Not going to happen but should.

Nice game I watched on the radio last night. Boy this sucks!

I like Weiters, a lot. But this would be a steep price to pay for a catcher “who’s numbers are in decline” in his walk year. I think he could perk up here, but at a lower price.

I do agree with the bigger point here and that is we need to look for anew catcher. I love AJ, he is a decent catcher and seems to have timely hits from time to time but we could stand for an upgrade. There really isn’t much on the farm right now either. I have read elsewhere the Dodgers might entertain Russell Martin after the season but even still, it would be a temporary fix.

Just checked the Orioles prospect list. They have better players there than we do. They have 2 A RHP’s and 2 catchers rated very high. They might do it for a lot less, especially if they believe Weiters is on his way down, which I’m betting he is. Still, even in decline he would better than what we have. But again, the Dodgers plan included zero sum at the C position. Why in the world would they now throw two of their best young prospects at improving that position? Wouldn’t that have been an off season move?

19. Bobbie17 says:

Let’s just be satisfied with a good defensive catcher, one that can handle our pitchers, and leave the offense to the others. Great time to be a minor league catcher in the Dodger organization.

20. Reggie says:

People, I know that we all overvalue the Dodger prospects, but the fact is that most prospects don’t make it! Of the four players Mark suggested, I would be amazed if two ever play more than two seasons in the majors. That is just the nature of the beast. So, don’t be so indignant. I would take a stud catcher anyday for those four.

Wieters was a high first round pick in 2007, whose performance over the years has not matched the initial hype. And apparently the hype continues to boost his reputation. I’m not saying he’s bad, because who wouldn’t want a catcher who can hit 20-25 HR. But it appears he’s not all that he’s often cracked up to be. Yes, a high percentage of prospects never make it, but some do. For me, Wieters is not worth the gamble, and he’ also probably not the only alternative to Ellis. Besides, I don’t think the Dodgers are desperate. We need Kemp, Hanley, Agon and others to hit, and we’ll be just fine.

And maybe Wieters’ power would be less useful in the NL West, where HRs are a lot harder to come by than in the AL East. In fact, I believe that Camden Yards ranks as a bandbox. And last year Wieters had an OBP of .287. Sorry, but I’m not giving up multiple good prospects for that. Prospects have value either as future Dodgers talent, or as trade bait that brings back some good value in return. In this case, I’ll take my chances that the prospects mentioned can bring back greater value than Wieters, or that at least one of them ends up contributing to the Dodgers.

Unless a deal better than this one comes along, I’m inclined to go along with B17, who said, “Let’s just be satisfied with a good defensive catcher, one that can handle our pitchers, and leave the offense to the others.”

Click Here to Leave a Reply