I’m counting mine today  after my 14 year-old son was involved in a horrific car crash yesterday.  The SUV he was in spun, flipped and barrel-rolled.  He was able to get out of an open window and while we spent 6 hours in the emergency room last night, he was the only one who walked off on his own power and wasn’t hospitalized.

photo4

There were thirty-some first responders on the scene. I arrived as they did.

photo1

The Jeep Grand Cherokee after the Jaws of Life cut out the kids.

photo3

He’s on crutches today, but he’s fine.  I’m counting my blessings.

He said the last thing he saw before going airborne was a white cross.  I went back today and found the pieces of the cross.  Evidently, some boy named Steve died at the scene in 1999.  I don’t know who he was but I feel for his parents and I’m going to rebuild and replant that cross.  I’m just glad it wasn’t my “Steve”.  That’s my son’s name!

photo6

Baseball later…

1. Watford Dodger says:

Wow makes you think. It gets worse with kids as they get older & are out of your control. So glad he’s ok.

Gonna settle down and watch this game soon. Bumgarner seems to always pitch well against us & Donnie’s gonna go with all the RH batters to counter. Means SVS gets a start which I think he’s earned. Need to win this one. Don’t want to be swept by them. Encouraging reports about Kershaw so he might not be too far away.

2. Watford Dodger says:

No Hanley – he’s on bench. Turner starts at SS having only played there 22 times in the Majors. SVS is in. Puig batting 3rd for first time in career. Gordon leading off in 1st appearance against a leftie this season. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the update and photos Mark. Tell Steve hello for me. Did you get him a Dodger sucker yet?

So many times we can see along the road or highway, some accident with a car or truck overturned . . . folks standing around . . . emergency cars and trucks there. And we just drive on and glad it was not “we.” But one never knows. Speed kills, inattention kills (like using a cell phone for something while driving), and one cannot take it back.

Please keep us updated on this. Anew.

I can imagine, and then again I can’t imagine, how you must feel today. Makes the Dodgers, and so many other things, seem so unimportant.

In moments like this I am always at a loss for words.

With all my best to you and your family.

5. BOB says:

Bills only has tendonitis. Kershaw getting stronger. Hanley to play tommorrow. The Beard is Back. Only one team in MLB with more wins. Dodgers in first place. Next game against the worst team in MLB. Happy Happy

No minor league rehab assignments for either pitcher. Kemp below .200. FedX below .100. Wilson ERA 9.0. Jansen ERA 5. And yet…..

When this team starts firing on all cylinders, and they will, look out.

7. Jimbo says:

Mark, I’m glad your son is ok. I had a reminder this week of just how badly things can go. They announced this week that they had identified the remains of two 17 year old girls from my hometown that disappeared on their way to a party at a gravel pit in 1971. They determined that it was a car accident but the car ended up in a creek and wasn’t found until last fall. Can’t pretend I knew them, since I was born in 1973, but I was friends with one of the girl’s youngest sisters. I have a daughter a year older than your son and I can’t imagine what I would do if something happened to her.

Jimbo, where do you live that the cops couldn’t find a car in a creek for 43 years?

Wainwright wit a complete game shutout. We could use one of those. Don’t see it happening though.

9. Jimbo says:

South Dakota. My hometown Vermillion is where Tom Brokaw, Joe Robbie and Al Neuharth (USA Today) went to college. That’s one of the things that people are asking. The creek the car ended up in was 1/2 mile from the gravel pits. Lots of farm land and gravel or dirt roads. I think the only reason it was found last fall was that we had flooding in the area in the spring and then drought in the summer/fall. I think the flood water moved the car down stream to where it was found and the drought lowered the water level enough so that it could be found. You would think they would have checked the creek, but all of the police from the area at that time have passed away so you can’t ask them. For the longest time they thought the girls either ran away and then they were looking into whether or not someone had killed them. They said the car was in third gear and that the ignition and lights were turned on so that ruled out foul play.

10. BOB says:

Having 4 outfielders is not the problem.

Having 4 outfielders who are currently performing significantly below their former abilities, 3 of whom get paid $15 to $20 million per year, is the problem.

Van Slyke .313 OPS+ 212 Kemp .171 OPS+ 117 Puig .250 OPS+ 103 Crawford .244 OPS+ 64 Ethier .230 OPS+ 59

Interesting stats. But Van Slyke with 16 at bats, Kemp with 35. I would suggest we wait until they all have at leastwiy 100 before we start any serious analyzing. If Kemp continues to hit under .200 he won’t have an OPS+ over 100 for long. I think all of them will be over 100 by the end of the year.

Dang Jimbo. That sounds like a story from Dateline. That is messed up. Those must have been some pretty dumb cops to miss a car in a creek a half mile from the gravel pit. Very sorry for those families.

leastwiy? It’s early here in the Denver.

Had our court hearing yesterday. Our problem? What to do when cops lie through there teeth and destroy evidence that would exonerate? It’s a stacked deck. Evidently it happens every day.

13. Bobbie17 says:

Good story by Scott Andes on Lasorda’s Lair about the Dodgers inflated record. It’s not what it seems. The good news: If they can win playing badly, they should be better when they play well. But can they? These last 3 games were all close and could have gone either way. But it seems that the Dodgers struggle more to get the job done. Nothing is easy. It will probably be that way the entire season. Too many personalties, I think. This Puig story can do no good, and the media will play it up for all it is worth. Will be detrimental to the team.

Then go ahead and trade him.

Just kidding.

The Dodgers will be fine if they improve WRISP. They have sucked big time and still have a winning record.

We still need Kershaw to pull this off.

This team can get REALLY going if a few players can get into full season mode.

And 3 players that concern me are:

Matt Kemp – he is very sloppy in the field. Much drama out there with him in centerfield. At bat, he has 14 Ks in 35 ABs. I believe he hit 2 of his 3 HRs in the first game back. Matt needs to get out of the Spring Training mode and into mid-season.

Andre Ethier – he is the healthy one. Hitting .220 with 13 Ks in 50 ABs and 1 HR. But he has left bunches on base. He needs to get hot soon.

Hanley Ramirez – this guy is just made out of glass. 11 Ks in 57 ABs with 2 HRs and .281 average. He is the one who makes this team go. They win with him, in the past. There is buzz of a big contract signing, maybe soon. The D-Backs announcer in the last series told his listeners that the way to pitch Hanley was at his first AB in a game, come in close and tight and send him a message for the entire game. Nice. So he is telling the fans and kids (who are fans) — almost drill this guy and he is poop the rest of the day. And if you hit him in the ribs or arms or hands — he his glass and will not be a factor the rest of the game or even series (Cardinals did that).

Sooooo if these three guys can get it in gear — the games might become much easier on us fans.

Click Here to Leave a Reply