Closers:

• My God, if Kenley can mix in 3 pitches and control them like yesterday, he will be unhittable!
  • Brian Wilson (former closer) – not so much anymore.
  • Brandon League – Fingers crossed.
  • Chris Perez – Bong time.

Legends:

• Yasiel Puig can just turn it on when he needs it.  What a throw to 2B yesterday and what a 3-run bomb!  That’s why he’s a legend.  Let’s hope he’s a “Long-Time Legend.”  WOW!  Don’t piss him off by walking someone to get to him.  It will end badly for you.
  • Clayton Kershaw is close… maybe a rehab assignment away!

Apple:

• Here’s another way to get MLB TV – Apple TV.  Go buy the Apple TV device at BEST BUY or AMAZON.  Plug it in and hook up the HDMI Cable to the TV and select MLB which is already loaded.  If you have MLB.TV you can view it on your TV.  I did it yesterday and it worked perfect.

Beckett:

• He could be a really nice number five.  AWESOME!

Don’t count Dee Gordon out yet.  He just needs to hit .300, not .400!  AJ Ellis will also be back sooner than later!

Juan “Freakin'” Uribe!!!!!!

april-showers_2

1. Watford Dodger says:

I think Wilson will turn it around. He looks a little short on velocity maybe due to a shortened ST. Give him time – he was great last back end. It’s not just Donnie that gets it wrong – walking Agon to get to Puig was madness considering Agon had already struck out against Collmenter. Respect to Beckett. I think we take for granted the pitching we have – Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, Haren, Beckett, Maholm, Fife – no one else has that depth. Our best pitcher is out and we are still top of the division. And we have Billingsly on the way back not to mention Lee on the waxy up. The best thing about MLBtv is you get a Vin every time.

I’m not giving up on Wilson or Perez.

Kershaw says he is pain free. One rehab assignment then throw him in there.

Beckett looked great. Would sure like to see more than 5 innings.

Walking AGon was a baseball decision. I think I would have done it too. R on R, out at two bases. Collmenter missed his spot big time – he threw a cookie right over the heart of the plate.

Will Kemp ever be the beast he was? Will Hanley? Stay tuned.

How much is that Apple device?

Went to a few Roku forums and it appears to be a split decision on this device working for mlbtv. Many people are having this buffering problem. Mlbtv should do better. I think I will go ahead and get the roku3 and see if it works. I can always return it.

As a disclaimer, Apple makes it to relieve you of your money, but I don’t buy anything from it – just MLB!

My wife gave it to me for X-MAS and I didn’t know what to do with it… until I tried it yesterday. It worked flawlessly!

4. the truth hurts says:

I think they are prolonging Paco as long as possible so we don’t run into anymore second half collapses. Maybe they are giving him all the time he needs to work on his mechanical “tweak”.

5. BOB says:

Kershaw should come back slowly with low expectations. May 4.00 ERA June 3.50 July 3.00 August 2.50 September 2.00 October 1.50 November 1.00 :)

With no long reliever the LAD need 13 pitchers. Ned FINALLY took my advice!

Gwynn has a higher BA than all of the Dodger outfielders except for Van Slyke!

Maholm is always good for 100 pitches in 5 innings with 3 runs allowed.

Beckett is currently a great #5 starter. He can go 6 innings but had an IV for 3 straight days including the day that he just pitched.

Is Crawford’s baby up all night? He needs an excuse.

Yep, 5 innings all right. Also gave up 3 runs….. in the 5th. Unfortunately he also gave up 2 in the first. This game is ugly. Lee is on so, rather than buffer my way through this I’ll just read about it tomorrow.

I think we all could sense a mismatch with that one from the very beginning.

We may be carrying an extra pitcher for a while and more than one of them is going to have to pitch 2 innings.

Last night I switched channels after the first inning of the game and watched a DVR drama. Then my wife and I watched the Jimmy Fallon show. Finally back to the Dodger game — and it was about game over . . .

I think I enjoyed myself more than those watching the game.

Then this morning, watching MLB Network and a review of the game — Dodger hitters looked like old women trying to hit a baseball and couldn’t. Nothing against old women — but old women do not play in the baseball major leagues.

I believe that Kershaw, Greinke, and Ryu could be heard again on the bench — “glad I am not pitching tonight — Dodgers will not score against him.”

9. Pete M says:

Kershaw heading to Rancho soon and Bills shortly thereafter… I got a good feeling about Bills return… What a great dilemma facing the Blue… Just go get A.J. Burnett tonight… Has anyone tried USAGOALS.TV??? After a lil fiddling around works fine for games…

10. artieboy says:

Juan Freakin Uribe….let’s see if that’s true come June 1st. Same for not giving up on Gordon. Hopefully Jansen has gotten over this little slump…probably the first time he has gone through this right?

11. BOB says:

Based upon the current major league and minor league rosters, unfortunately the Dodgers need to keep a 6th starter on the 25 man roster for at least a month after Kershaw comes back due to the current lack of depth at the AAA and AA level. That means that Maholm will take one of the reliever spots and the improved performance of League will insure that Dominquez, Withrow, and Rodriquez are exiled to AAA, assuming no additioinal relievers will be sent to the DL. League needs to either win the Cy Young award or leave town on a jet plane. Ned signed too old relievers when he should have signed a better backup catcher.

“Multiple Bums on the roster, horrendous defense, pathetic offense, and inconsistent relief pitching. The club is going to have to purge some of these Bums from the roster or they will continue to lose.” Scott Andes

Well, not much gray area there.

Badger — you are asking for more than an oil change are you not.

I am having second thoughts about Hanley. If he is willing to move to 3B next season and anchor there . . . sign the guy.

But if he says he wants to play SS for several years . . . the Dodgers might (MIGHT) need to move on, let him walk, take the Draft Pick, save the money and get another hitter in the lineup.

Even Vinny keeps saying now — about Hanley’s double-clutching before throwing. And I do not think he can make those great plays to the left and right and throw guys out — and least not to what a SS in their prime can do. I think it is time to move him or drop him and move on.

I thought it was going to happen over the winter Roger. But the signing of Uribe put a stamp on the look of this team for this year. It’s a contract year for Hanley. He will get it turned around. His hand may be hurting more than we know. His SS play is not really a surprise. He’s here to hit. If he and Kemp do what they are paid to do, the Dodgers will be fine.

• Roger Dodger says:

I am referring to the winter. This season if fine. But the chemistry of the team . . . needs more defense and to get that is to be strong up the middle from catcher to 2B & SS and centerfield. And the Dodgers have to deal with all 4 of those positions.

Kemp needs to go to LF. We need a new stronger and younger catcher (might be impossible) and CF. Pederson might be that, maybe Puig.

But I am not as strong on Hanley there at SS for the next 3 or 4 years. If he will move to 3B and smile, sign him. If not — over the winter, re-make this team.

The Dodgers are built to win now. If these guys don’t do it, I can see a remodel. In my opinion, and the way I used to coach, there is no excuse for poor fundamental play. Defense is about work and hustle. Errors will happen but sloppy is unacceptable. This team has the look of a squad that doesn’t put in the extra time working on defense. If Pederson is in center, and Arru-bueno is at short, this team’s defense improves dramatically. But what about the offense?

Arru, Pederson and Guerrero could be the new look Dodgers.

I think, as anyone who knows baseball will think, that defense starts up the middle.

AJ is solid, but not great. Hanley is very poor. Dee is learning the position, and Ethier/Kemp, despite having gold gloves, are solid but not great.

Our only good defenders are Uribe and Agone. Puig is great yet erratic. Crawford/Van Slyke are solid at best.

THIS particular team has to win with pitching and offense. As we continue the rebuild, I’m sure more emphasis will be placed on defense. That always starts at SS and CF. Let’s see what happens in the future (either later this year, or 2015 and beyond)

Meanwhile, need Ryu to help the bp tonight by going 7-8 innings.

• Roger Dodger says:

Bobby shows what I am talking about. And Badger say prior — we field terrible, and hit in cycles (good and bad) — last night was a classic case of being held to the wheel with the water coming down and engulfing the troops.

Yet, the Dodgers are in 1st place with a winning record and the key #1 pitcher is not even pitching. And the closer guy is finding his range.

Let this team put it together and it will win.

But as GM, he has to build also for the future and get the weakness figured out.

16. BOB says:

Defense is overrated. Oakland’s defense is even worse than the Dodgers and they have the best record in the AL. Of course that STAT will eventually prove to be their downfall if it continues.

Meanwhile, in AAA tonight (on the road), Alex Guerrero 3-3 with 2 triples. He also had a fielding error.

I really wish somebody who has watched Guerrero and/or Arrubuena could give us a report on how they look, defensively.

Speaking of defense, a pathetic error right there on a slow hit ball.

Defense is overrated? Until you lose a few games by giving up unearned runs. You give Major League teams more than 27 outs and you are going to get burned.

2 innings and already 0 for 4 WRISP.

FedX at .088, which is over the legal limit.

5 innings – 0 for 5 RISP. One error. We are averaging an error a game. Giving extra outs to teams. Adding to the pitch counts. My high school coach drilled into us, “take the outs they give you and steal two and they will give you enough runs to win”. Amazing how often that worked. The good teams do that all year.

20. jerry says:

handley can not ever play 3rd..i dont know why ever one keep s saying that…you cant double clutch and play 3rd…it just doent work..he would be bad on the bunts.

Hey Badger, where were those rumblings about defense is over-rated!!!! Defense can win and lose some games during the season. Just the defense.

Last season in the magical run of wins. Last night with Puig on, Hanley would have either hit a HR to win it, or a double to drive in Puig and then AGon would have singled Hanley home for the win. This season (so far) Hanley pops up and AGon goes for a shower.

This IS a different season. And if the guys want to win — with a magical feel — they know what they have to do. If they are counting their money and posing for pictures . . . we know what they are doing.

Playing like the Cubs — IS NO FUN.

It was BOB Roger. Maybe he was just kidding.

I still believe in the talent of this team. If they don’t put it together this year then dump the older dudes and build around Puig and Kershaw.

Click Here to Leave a Reply