I can almost guarantee that the Dodgers roster as it now stands will greatly change before the end of the season.  It appears to me that the Dodgers acquired Beckett and Crawford in order to get Adrian Gonzalez.  They had the money and I think Gonzo has been a good thing and he likely will continue for another two or three years.  Crawford and Beckett are another issue.

It has been Ned Colletti’s predilection to acquire aging players, especially pitchers – Jason Schmidt, Derek Lowe,  Aaron Sele, Greg Maddux, Brett Tomko, Elmer Dessens, Takashi Saito, Giovanni Carerra, Mark Hendrickson,  Hiroki Kuroda, Esteban Loaiza, Tanyon Sturtzem Scott Proctor, Randy Wolf, Jeff Weaver, Guillermo Mota, George Sherrill, Claudio Vargas, Will Ohman, Ted Lilly, Vincenete Padilla, Russ Ortiz, Ramon Ortiz, Mike MacDougal, Matt Guerrier, Joe Blanton, Aaron Harang, Chris Capuano, Jamey Wright, Todd Coffey, Brian Wilson, Brandon League, Paul Maholm and Dan Haren.  He also has a penchant for acquiring ex-Giants, but right about now the Dodgers have several very old or very bad or very shaky pitchers like Wright (39), Beckett (34), Haren  (33), Wilson (32), Maholm (32) and League (31) who are blocking younger stronger-armed pitchers like Dominguez, Withrow, Rodriguez and even guys like Red Patterson.

The roster needs to change – some contracts must be eaten – young blood mixed with experience will win this thing.

• Dominguez over Wilson
  • Paco over Beckett
  • Magill or Fife over Wright
  • Pederson over Crawford
  • Guerrero over Figgins
  • Martin over League
  • Arruebarrena over Turner
  • Scioscia over Mattingley (OK, wait- that won’t happen)

The Dodgers could get younger in  a hurry and they need to.  Age and experience are good and all that, but don’t sprinkle in too many of those old guys, Ned!

april-showers_2

Hey Mark

Any reason why that MLB rumors tab/link that appeared on the right hand side below the Dodger links isn’t there anymore? Not sure if it’s intentional by you, or if they went out of business, etc. I was jut wondering

That’s quite a list of names.

FedX can go 5 for 5 and he still wouldn’t be hitting his weight.

I agree with some of those changes. I think the older guys will be trusted through the deadline. August/September could bring some remodeling. As you know I figure Guerrero is up soon.

3. TMWISH says:

We have 5 sp on the roster and you want to get rid of one to add fife or Magill? What have they proven that they need to be called up. Now if you wanted to call up lee I could maybe see it. Also why get rid of wright who has done nothing but be useful. Wilson is still coming back from the injury. Dominguez has not looked all that good in la. I agree with Paco over league and Guerrero should be up, but turner is useful and their is no reason to bring EA when he has not played baseball in a long time and apparently is going to need time to learn to hit. Heck EA hasn’t even played a minor league game as far as I know. And CC will be traded eventually until that day we can all enjoy what he is a quality slightly above average player.

4. Rob says:

We need another lefty in the pen to give Howell a breather. Maybe when Kershaw comes back they will put Malholm back in the pen. Who gets sent packing? I am guessing withrow due to his options. If they bring up Guerrero I am guessing they will release figgins.

See, keep off Puig’s head — no trading for this or that. The man is golden . . .

On Guerrero — since the Dodgers are OK at 2nd base right now — let Guerrero get his baseball body, eye, coordination back — in the minors for another month or so.

He needs to tune up there — then, bring him up and work him in — on the field or on the bench playing where or when he can.

I agree that changes of are coming, and the Dodgers will not look quite the same at seasons end. However, I think that Colletti’ predilection for acquiring aging veterans was done more out of necessity than anything else. The Dodgers farm system was a wreck, and there was nowhere else to go. That’s beginning to change, and we might have some big league ready players in the minors, maybe.

Some of the changes might come soon, and others later. It will depend on the development of some of those young players mentioned by Mark above. Guerrero is an interesting case. He’s hitting .440 at hitter friendly ALBQ, but Gordon is hitting .367 with the Dodgers. If Gordon continues to hit and get on base, the best I can see for Guerrero is a platoon at 2B, and maybe he gets some time elsewhere. No way he gets the job fulltime unless Gordon stops hitting.

Arrue now has 3 at bats with the Lookouts. If he gets the call, it likely won’t be until June or July. With Hanley at short, I don’t see him playing all that much, but he could turn out to be a valuable utility guy.

If Colletti can trade a veteran to make room for a younger player, I believe he will, but only if he’s convinced that that younger player is ready for fulltime duty.

I’m not going to predict what happens, except to say that things will happen, depending on the Dodgers’ evaluation of players in the pipeline and from elsewhere.

Recovery is coming along, but it will take a while. Last night I was so tired that I turned off the game when it was 4-0, hoping to find out the next morning that the Dodgers staged s comeback. Watched most of today’s game, but did take some time off on occasion. But all is well, and hopefully my 67 year old body will continue to cooperate.

Man I’m really excited about Dee’s all around game. He looks so much better at 2b than SS, and he’s such a better, more patient hitter.

Great problem to have, when Guerrero is ready!! We won 2-3. We won the series. That’s all u can ask.

We’re 12-7, and I still dont think we’re playing that great. I’ll take it.

Go Kings Go tonight!

8. Idaho Al says:

I do agree change is coming. One position that we need to upgrade is at catcher. I like AJ and he should be the starter. However, we need to draft or trade for a young catcher.

Kasten and Colletti talked about getting younger this year and who does Colletti sign? He signed Wright, Wilson, Haren and Maholm. It has to be tough bring a good young player in the Dodger organization.

Change will happen because it always seems to. Dodger Opening Day lineups are never the same as the final day. If this particular group stays healthy I frankly don’t see the need for any face lifts. A Gordon/Guerrero platoon sounds terrific to me. We will be moving pitchers around all year because have so many good ones. Four great outfielders is hardly a problem. If we keep winning, and I believe we will, why change? The changes we make will likely happen out of necessity.

Brooklyn, you said that Albq. is friendly where Alex G. is playing now and hitting .440.

Just checked. They have played 11 games away (other ball parks) and 8 games at home. Not sure how many games he played in, in those. And the next 6 games are at away parks.

The Dodgers still have a 1 game lead.

11. BOB says:

Good week in Dodger town considering the Flu bug has infiltrated the dugout.

3 teams already 8 games back this early in the season. Some of these players got to begin wondering if this season is already over. Never know when their subconscious begins to take them down.

Olivo .417 Erickson .385 Are either of these two catchers better than the no bat reserves playing for the Dodgers?

Lee 0.77 ERA in 2 starts at Albuquerque! Why was Red Patterson sent to Ogden?

“Some of these players got to begin wondering if this season is already over.”

Send them to the Duluth Super Dukes. Anybody that thinks the season is over after 20 games doesn’t deserve to play in the Major Leagues.

Roger, from now on maybe I’ll refer to the hitter friendly PCL. Because it’s not just ALBQ.

I wouldn’t assume that Gordon can’t hit lefties. Right now he’s only getting sparse action against them. He’s improved overall as a hitter, and I’m guessing that that improvement will translate into better hitting against lefties. But the only way to find that out is to play him regularly against lefties. The past isn’t always prologue.

Yes, the Dodgers did sign Wright, Wilson, Haren and Maholm. But none of those were long term deals, and whoever we had in the minors last year probably wasn’t deemed to be absolutely big league ready early this year. But things could change quickly, and we might begin to see some of those younger players sooner rather than later (or maybe it will be next year, at least in some cases). Lee doesn’t have to be placed on the 40-man roster until November, so that could slow up his call to LA, although I think it’s possible if he continues to pitch well in the hitter friendly PCL. Stripling was another guy who didn’t have to be placed on the 40-man until November, but we know what happened to him. Urias is simply too young, and Chris Anderson and Tom Windle were just drafted last year. Onelki Garcia was slowed by surgery on his elbow this past winter (bone spurs, I think), and Chris Reed needs to show more over a significant period of time before he’s considered. Jose Dominguez has the arm, and now simply has to develop a repeatable repertoire that he can bring to games on a consistent basis. Matt Magill has good stuff, but has suffered from control problems, and I’m not sure where Yimi Garcia stands at present. Guys like Pedro Baez and Zach Bird probably need more time before they’re big league ready (if ever).

Point is, there were good arms in the system last winter, but for the most part they were probably not deemed big league ready for the start of the 2014 season. As things change in the farm system, Colletti is less likely to seek help from older players outside the Dodgers organization.

“The past isn’t always prologue”.

Shakespeare believed it was. But I’m inclined to agree with you. Hitters hit. Gordon appears to have figured something out, but I don’t believe he will ever hit lefties as well as Guerrero will. I have that bat on my team and the sooner the gooder. It’s time to lose Figgins.

Good point about Colletti’s stymied choices under mcRoach. We do have some good arms in our system. In fact if it were me I’d be looking to move one for a legit young catcher. Mark said a few days ago that FedX would surprise with the bat. 2 for 30 surprises me. I’m thinking I could do that.

Back to AAA. Yesterday – Albq won 13-12. Scoring 11 runs in the first inning and then only 2 the rest of the way.

Starter Magill went 3.2 innings, gave up 8 hits and 7 runs with only 1 K, but 4 walks.

That is not good.

Catcher Olivo went 4 for 5. Guerrero went 3 for 5. Pederson went 1 for 5. T. Robinson went 2 for 5 with 3 RBIs.

That tells me that maybe Magill is still working on things. He is 1-1 with a 6.62 ERA in 4 games started, pitching 17.2 innings, giving up 21 hits, 15 runs with 13 K, and 9 BB.

Maybe the pitchers love TFX. If so, and we keep winning, he will remain in the lineup. But I hope it’s a short leash. That guy is dreadful with a stick in his hands.

I hope Magill is working on something. Whatever it is he hasn’t worked it out. Those numbers stink.

17. Rob says:

Looking at our top prospects and we don’t have a catcher even close to the middle. It should be fairly easy to swap prospects with a team but it has not happened yet. To bad the midget hold a pretty good prospect in susac. He will be stuck in AAA until they move posey to first base. I mention in an early post that we should swap for stassi with the Astros. I believe he is their 13th prospect and they could use pitching. I watched both stassi and susac here in Sacramento and they both will be good in the bigs.

What stands out for me with Magill are the 9 walks in 17.2 innings. He has the stuff, but not the command. Maybe someday he’ll find the command, and maybe not. He’s a prospect, but he’s also suspect.

I’ve always thought that Fedex could settle in and become a .260-.270 hitter. But I’ve been wrong before. Right now, however, if the Dodgers can get their hands on a stud prospect catcher, I’m all for it. I see no one in the Dodgers system who is even close to the big leagues, unless someone wants to include Miguel Olivo (which I don’t).

Maybe Magill is working on a new out pitch and he doesn’t command it yet. That’s what I’m going with.

I’m sure Jed’s phone rings daily with questions about pitching prospects. Right now we are in first place with a catcher who needs a guide to find the Mendoza line. The starters are doing well so maybe they like him.

20. Bobbie17 says:

I’m looking forward to the roster turn-over. That is supposed to be why you have young players. I doubt if it will be this year. Depending on this year’s success, it might come next year. Good or bad, change will come. That is what good teams do. However, these guys have to prove they can play at this level. The minor leagues are irrelevant. They have to be given a real chance to succeed at this level. How you do that in the middle of a pennant drive is a problem. But it has to be done. Fringe players must be demoted and new ones be brought up to replace them. This is where your scouts and player development people come in. I hope ours know what they are doing.

Click Here to Leave a Reply