The other day I was listening to a local sports talk show here in Indy. About half the fans here are Cubs fans and the other half are Reds fans. I guess that’s a natural choice because Indy is halfway between Chicago and Cincinnati, and even though Indianapolis more than twice the size of Cincinnati, it is unlikely we will get a major league team anytime soon because of the close proximity to Chi-Town and the Queen City. But, I digress…
The sports talk show host I was listening to is an admitted Red’s Homer and that’s OK! He was watching the Reds game when the Cardinals loaded the bases with two out. At that juncture, he said “You can be pretty sure that the Cardinals will probably hit a Grand Slam right here…” and went on to lament how the Cards just always seem to seize the moment and the Reds don’t. Well, Kolten Wong then triples off the wall and three runs score. Right about now, you are probably thinking “what’s his point?” I’ll get to that.
The point is, some teams just know how to capitalize on opportunities when they are presented and the Dodgers still don’t. You have to seize the day and the Dodgers fail to do that a lot. Of course, there was that magical 50 game stretch last year where they seized two months, not just the day, but the Dodgers #3, #4 and #5 hitters fail too many times. No excuses. You do or you don’t do! Hit the other way to avoid the double play. Hit behind the runner. Hit a fly to the outfield to score a runner from 3B. Of course, that assumes you have a manager who can actually make tactical game decisions… which opens another can of worms.
Seize the day!
Rants and Raves:
- Joc Pederson is killing it at Albaquacky, but then again, so is Miguel Olivo.
- Remember this name – Kyle Farmer – catcher at Great Lakes – he could be AJ’s heir-apparent!
- FedEx will surprise with his hitting…
- Watch for Seager to move to AA soon.
- Spring training demon Miguel Rojas is hitting .063 at AAA. Yikes!
- Alex Guerrero hasn’t met a training room he didn’t like as he continues to be a professional re-habber!
- Kenley Jansen should be fine, I’m just not sure he should have been in there again last night. Maybe later in the year.
- Could Brandon League be fixed?
- Dee Gordon is making a strong case in a small sampling.