I didn’t say that he was unfixable, but I am tired of the excuses.  To fix a problem, you have to acknowledge there is a problem and a lot of you don’t.  You try to make excuses because he is so talented and he brought so much excitement to the team last year.

Remember, I am the guy who brought you these headlines:

• The Key Is To Score So Many Runs Even Broxton Can’t Blow It!

• Dear New Dodger GM, Just Say “No” To Manny…

• A Pig With Lipstick!

In that Blog, I wrote this:

The buzz all over the internet is whether the Dodgers will be able to sign Manny Ramirez after the season is over.  Speculation is rampant that it will take up to 4 years and $120 million to get it done.  The question is not whether the Dodgers can afford to sign Manny, it’s whether they really want to!  Look, ManRam has brought a whole new attitude to the Dodgers, to say nothing of the fact that he has been a one-man offensive wrecking crew!  But the question I have is whether this is a “Pig With Lipstick?” It has been widely reported that Manny was despised by most of his teammates the last two years in Boston and that he was faking injuries, not hustling and being a general cancer in the clubhouse.  Does anyone believe that it can’t happen again?  Does a leopard change its’ spots?  I don’t have the answer, but it’s a question worth asking.  Manny showed up and saved our season.  Could he wreck it next year?   If the stories about him in Boston are true, can he really be trusted not to show up fat and out of shape like Andruw Jones?   Can he really be “OUR LEADER?”  Can the Golddigger who has an affair with a married man, who then divorces his wife and marries her, ever be sure the same thing won’t happen to her as well?  Right now, this is a “feel good” story, but people close to Manny say he can turn it into a train wreck at the drop of a hat.  Can we sign him?  YES!  Should we sign him?  I don’t really know…  But, I do know that a pig with lipstick is still a pig!

If We Live By The Manny, Do We Die By The Manny?  Enjoy the ride because you never know…

Yasiel Puig presents some of the same issues.  He has unquestionable talent, but is somewhat of a head case.

Both times he was caught off base in the Dodgers last game were unforgivable.  Quit making excuses.  THERE IS NEVER A TIME YOU TRY AND DO THAT!  There are no excuses.  Get real!  Don Mattingly was not the only one who got in his face.  Adrian Gonzalez also called him out.  QUIT MAKING EXCUSES!  This is a real concern.  Teammates feel that Puig is uncoachable, unwilling to change, self-absorbed, narcissistic, and willing to feign injury to save face.

He has exceptional talent, but how many talented athletes have we seen crash and burn?  It is not too late – he can be fixed – he can still be a superstar – IF HE WANTS TO PAY THE PRICE.  I question his commitment…

The game is easy to him.  Too easy.  Does he take it seriously?  Will he ever?  I would trade him in a heartbeat for Giancarlo Stanton -  Low risk, lower reward.

spring-sale

I see your point, and I sort of agree with it. But I must point out, Puig not only brought excitement and BIS revenue, he also brought 5 WAR in 104 games. I think he’s worth the trouble. Hopefully he will outgrow his brain farts. The veterans, most notably Uribe and Gonzalez, will be working on him. Have patience.

Having said that I think this could be a humbling year for the man. This game is not as easy as he made it look for a couple of months last year. We will see how much he wants it very quickly.

2. KYDodgersFan says:

I thinking Mattingly taking this to the media is a much bigger problem. Someone has to be the adult and it should be the manager. Puig might be a problem, but don’t take the problem out of the clubhouse.

3. Spur says:

I’m with you (I actually said that!) on the Puig thing.

I think it’s simple. If he’s not hitting well a reasonable time after Kemp is ready to play, he should work out his problems in the minors and that might not necessarily be AAA. It might be very humbling and that is just what he needs.

4. DodgerDude says:

Poo (which is short for $hit),

When you said “there is nothing fundamentally wrong with that play” you branded yourself as an ignoramus. The rest of your drivel brands you as a racist. What a small-minded little weasel you must be!

You make everyone dumber when you post!

5. Jae says:

Mark, another troll has arrived – some trolls make sense at times. This troll has the IQ of the pig. Block him, please. I do not post a lot, but his ignorance hurts my eyes.

Trolls provide amusement. Sort of like your idiot uncle. The fact of the matter is that I called for Mattingly’s head most of last year. I’m not a fan, but I have no problem with him calling Puig out. His base-running plays were pure boneheaded gaffes, and if you think otherwise, you are undoubtedly a bonehead! Even Ray Charles could see that. Mattingly is stating the obvious. I did not say that Puig could not mature – he can, but will he?

He was just voted the second most overrated player in MLB by his peers (right behind Harper). Those are the guys he plays against. They don’t respect him. He has to earn it.

Poo needs to get a clue!

Poo is a meathead. Sounds like OD is revisiting.

I have no problem with Donnie stating what appears to be the obvious. I do have a problem with some of his moves. Reeks of Torre.

8. Artieboy says:

Why do you say the game comes easy to him? The offensive and defensive mistakes, not to mention how StL completely silenced him last year in games 1, 2 & 6) shows he still has so much to learn. I don’t think you can give up on him so quickly.

9. Pete M. says:

If you must send Y.P down, please make it Rancho C. so I can watch him…
    Reminds me of a incredible talent in the old PCL…Carlos Bernier of the Hollywood Stars… His talent just couldnt translate to MLB…
    I’m truly waiting for him to drop a flyball with his Willy Mays Hayes nonchalant use of the glove… Could be a meltdown for Donnie…

I was thinking the same thing Pete. I know the old bald veterans don’t care much for that hot dogging stuff. Neither do the veterans with hair.

What I meant by “game comes easy” is – at first he made it look easy. Speed, power and hand eye. Reminded me of Bo Jackson, the main difference is Bo was a very humble man. Still is. Puig is what I usta call “Me Theater”. I’m still hopeful he grows out of it. Some failure might help. He’s experiencing a bit of that now. Let’s just see how he responds.

Poo is just another pathetic troll, with too much time on his hands.

Puig is a problem, but not as BIG as is suggested. I am still hopeful that he will slowly grow out of it over time. But I’m not expecting any miracles, so we may have to live with this for a while as he slowly grows up. Overall, however, I consider him an asset.

11. Artieboy says:

The hypocrisy is unbelievable. It is wrong to criticize the player but OK to criticize the blogger…weird. Vinny talks about controlling that aggressiveness. Are you going to tell him to STFU???

For the record, I am not giving up on Puig and I am rooting for him. In fact, I love watching him play.

This is my opinion, which I am entitled to have regardless of what any racists think, and I could be wrong. In fact, I hope I am!

In this case I think Mark is right.

The way I see it, Mattingly is saying now what he couldn’t last year. Remember Donnie’s rant at the end of the season last year about being second guessed and feeling like a lame duck manager? He now has the authority and assurances to stand his ground against Puig.
    I love Puig’s talent but his act is wearing thin with me too. At some point he will become a cancer on this ballclub unless he starts to get it. Mental mistakes are unexcusable. I coach 7 year olds and it takes them a few practices to make correcrtions. This guy is 22-23? He needs to start acting like a professional. Donnie will have the option soon to bench him when/if Kemp and Crawford are available. Heck even Van Slyke will give you a good option the way he has played when given a shot.
    The bottom line is Puig is still young and relativley cheap. If he can’t get with the program there is a HUGE market for a cost controlled guy with his talent.
    My prediction is he doesn’t get it and is either traded or on the market by the end of summer. Bring me Joc Pederson.

14. Watford Dodger says:

Well it’s interesting that we are only 2 games in and this point has already come up again. I want to be clear that I think Puig has enormous potential and that he is still young & inexperienced. However, as I have mentioned here on a number of occasions he is not for fior me. We should have taken advantage of his high profile in a winter trade for Stanton. I’m not sure his stock will be so high again.
    You can be sure that if Donnie is prepared to joke about Puig crying wolf the rest of the players will have noticed it and it is here where the real problem lies. In his rookie season people may have been prepared to overlook his behaviour and poor in game decisions – but like life in general there will come a time when the other players will say enough already. The bat flipping and disrespecting of the umpires will have his team mates embarrassed. That dissatisfaction will manifest itself if allowed and Donnie will have big decisions to make.
    Puig will not change. He is what he is. You have to want to change for it to happen. How many times will he miss the cut off man or be tagged out over running a play or be caught speeding? He is what he is. Like I said – not for me and I suspect before too long not for his team mates. Mark is right. He is a big problem. Stanton would have been a better option. I know not everyone will agree but time will tell.

I think that ship has sailed. I don’t see the Dodgers trading Puig now, although stranger things have happened. The perfect opportunity was last winter. I stated that on October 18th, but it would be hard now. Puig can be tamed, but history says it is not likely.

16. grumpy3b says:

I think someone just needs to call Puig’s mommie…she will set his arse straight. Not kidding, the guy likely has no connections to his parents and, of course they have none back to him…so his support structure is not what it should be…we all know our mom & grans (especially grans) need only look at us to set us straight.

In all seriousness he is out of control with resources, freedom and independence to degrees he likely was never raised to cope with. Add to it the fact he did pretty much abuse the NL last season when he came up. Now he feels like he’s above it all because it came so easily.

I do not like the public calling out like the Yankee did (he is not and will never be a Dodger to me just like Jeff the Junt was never a Dodger), however this may be the only way he has left to get through to Puig before moving him back to Podunk for “seasoning”. But these options actually depend on Kemp. If Kemp comes around and Puig still runs the bases like, well, Kemp, I keep Kemp and let Puig pack a bag for that cot in Podunk for a month or whatever.

I don’t like the bonehead plays but I like Puig. He’s in my lineup every night…….

but I t might come after I bench his ass for a few games.

He’s cocky. I like that. He’s not a crack addict, or a wife beater or a steroid user. His character, like his talent, is not really in question. He’s making silly mistakes. Clean it up dammit! Do so or you’re riding the pines. He’ll get the message.

It appears that the “old men” are pretty much in agreement on the Puig issue and the “little boys” aren’t.

I get it, most of you get it – the little boys will get it someday…

Nothing they say could offend me. I only get offended by things that make sense, but I’m just glad that they are stringing words into sentences now. It’s not what they say, it’s the thought behind it that counts, and I know there’s never any thought behind anything they say.

19. Gonzo says:

To me Puig wants the Albert Pujols in his prime treatment. Yeah he shows up to pay with kids on a sandlot and visits kids a the hospital which I great. Physicall an skill wise I can see Bo, but I’m not ready to put him in Bo Jackson’s league based on a small sample size. Players like Pujols talk the talk and walk the walk. What I want to see from Puig is maturation, show your teammates, opponents, bosses and fans that your extraordinary hits and defensive plays are just Tuesday for you.

Matty was that way and he matured, but it was evident that he was working on becoming a better player and teammate.

As for Donnie saying what he did about Puig crying wolf, I don’t mind,

1. Because all the behind the scenes interventions have been done and Puig doesn’t get it.

2. There is no crying in baseball. If you get hurt and take yourself out of game; I an respect that, but don’t fly 17 hours from Australia claiming to be hurt and go clubbing all night once you step off the plane.

I a nutshell, Puig is socially inept. He is making up for lost time when he couldn’t afford to do what he wanted as a teen and young adult. Now I really don’t care if he parties until he gets bags under his eyes, but if I am paying to watch the DODGERS on TV I want fluidity and the team members to not be worrying what they’re going to do after the game.

If Puig were to be traded for the right package I wouldn’t be mad, but hope for both his and the Dodgers sake the party/frat boy lifestyle exits his system, sort of like a kid getting married after high school but still hitting up the clubs while the wife is still at home.

I got Baseball America in the mail today, and they released their ranking of players under 25. Of course Mike Trout was #1. Yasiel Puig was #10, right behind #9, Giancarlo Stanton. 10 years from now, the Dodgers may wish they had made the deal I suggested. We shall see!

21. HawkeyeDodger says:

Unforgivable is a little much. One play, he was too aggressive, but a teachable moment. The second play, he was hesitant and paid for it. There is no doubt that his fundamentals are lacking, but to think by opening day, Puig will have fixed all of his base running errors and hit the cut off man on every throw is naive at best. From what I’ve seen, he’s making a conceded effort to get his throws online. The base running will take some time. As it did with Kemp. Puig is a lightning rod for attention. Often making mountain out of molehills.

22. Pete M. says:

I say hire TMZ to follow the Puig-o-matic’s every move… They will get all over him like a cheap suit…
    Darn, I just wished he wouldn’t be on the blotter this early in the season…
    More cuts soon!!! What a pain in the arse that will be especially with the bullpen…
    Kemp soon??? Darn I hope they don’t rush him…

“I only get offended by things that make sense,”

That explains a lot. Doh!

I don’t even know what the guy said after his first post. I recognized troll right away. I often don’t agree with Mark but I respect his right to be wrong. Anyone with a handle like poo is asking to be ignored.

24. Jae says:

Hey Mark, you should check out the Ass Clowns at Dodger Indigestion and read their big Circle Jerk off contest. I swear that site is just a bunch of 13 year-old boys crying for attention. Pathetic!

• PooThatTookAPee says:

I think you need to stay in your element, continue talking about nothing and making up stories as you see fit. if your narrative is one where Puig is detrimental I feel sorry for you and anyone that has to be around your blow hard ideological stances while attempting to appear from some self centered moral high ground

Jae,

I can’t do that – I lose several points off my IQ each time I do that and you know I can’t afford that. Can I just gouge my eyes out instead?

Besides, I don’t really care.

“the Dodgers may wish they had made the deal I suggested. We shall see”

Maybe. I don’t think so. Puig offers something Stanton does not – both speed and defense.

And how can anyone regret a trade that was never discussed? Miami made it clear Stanton was not for sale. He probably will be soon, especially if he stays on the field. His arbitration raises may force the Marlins hand. Remember, Stanton is under team control for 3 more years.

If we stick by Yassie during his pubescent years, I believe the rewards will be worth it.

27. TMWISH says:

Mark I don’t see what manny Ramirez has to do with puig or why that is a problem. Ramirez was so care free he managed to be worth 66 fWar and that’s with terrible defense and no one will claim puig is a terrible defender. I get puig makes some dumb base running errors. But so did ethier and kershaw this weekend. Why does it matter if overall he is well above average contributor? Trading puig for staton is interesting. I wouldn’t do it because I worth about Stanton’s health and I think puig has the higher upside. Plus I hope we can get both in the same outfield one day. ;) anyway just stay away from dumb espn articles that make claims like players don’t like puig which Aj just came out and flatly stated was wrong and you will be alright.

“I think it’s terrible and disgusting the way everyone is treating Lance Armstrong, especially after achieving what he did, winning 7 Tour de France races while on drugs. When I was on drugs I couldn’t even find my bike.”

Willie Nelson

For the record – I love Puig and the way he plays. I also know that he is beloved by most of his teammates. Poo acts like I don’t have access to the Locker Room and I do. For the record, I was the first blogger to sit in the Dodgers Stadium Pressbox.

I have been in business for almost 40 years and have dealt with thousands of people. Guys like Puig often burn brightly but flame out. I hope not, but I’ve seen it time and again. The game comes too easy to him.

I have no problem with him “playing the game the right way.” He’s fun, but he’s a danger. That’s all! My opinion, but then the idiots come in and say STFU, when their heads are so far up their a$$ they can’t see.

I can tell you that there are times some Dodgers are miffed at Yasiel, but he’s lovable and they get over it. He just can’t keep making dumb plays.

Kershaw and Ethier’s plays were inadvisable, but not dumb. Both tried to eek out a double and didn’t. Puig’s were just totally reckless. Surely you can see that!

30. Quasimodo says:

If ya think about it, Puig might be having a hard time understanding what his purpose is. Don’t laugh that off, it can be very difficult where every bit of ones life is as vastly different with what they’re used to. I really don’t want to let Puig slip through Dodgers fingers like they did with Roberto Clemente. Perhaps if Puig found that ‘something’ as Clemente did he’d put things in a better perspective.

The multi billion dollar Dodgers were floundering when Puig showed up. And like that guy in the cape, Puig saved the day. He lit the fuse that exploded the team all the way to the NLCS. You know it, I know it, and the American people know it. And he knows it too. He was the talk of not only the town but of all of baseball. You think maybe something like that might go to a young mans’s head? He does not exhibit the behavior of a jerk. Baseball history is littered with one year wonders who flamed out for various reasons, often tied to an ungoverned ego and an IQ that matches the speed limit in Florida. . I don’t believe Yasiel Puig is that player. I could be wrong about that, but I say we give the man some slack here and see how he responds to the criticism. You know damn well he hears it. Puig’s talent is still very raw. The coaching staff and the veterans will work on refining it. I’m glad he’s on our team. Many fans will be buying tickets just to see him play. Let’s enjoy this.

31. Jae says:

PooThatTookAPee,

STFU and go away! Grasp your ears firmly and pull; you might just be able to remove your head from you ass. I’d like to see things from your point of view, but I can’t seem to get my head that far up your ass.

Why don’t you go to the library and brush up on your ignorance? Are your parents siblings?

Click Here to Leave a Reply