This Spring Sucked and Spring Training Sucked too!

• I mean how screwed up has this been?  Hardly any Spring Training!  The Dodgers and D-Backs have really gotten ripped.  maybe it will end up being a good thing, but I don’t know.
  • Quas, e-mail me!
  • Mercer beats Duke?  Who saw that coming?  Coach K… are you slipping?
  • I was in Orlando all week, where it was in the 70’s all week.  It’s 70 here today in Indy and will be 30 tomorrow with a chance of snow.  What…..????
  • Vegas last week.  Orlando this week.  Myrtle Beach next week.  I need to slow down, but it’s too much fun!
  • Andrew Bynum would help the Pacers win the NBA Championship, but he can’t physically do it anymore.  What a shame.  You see flashes and then he can’t walk the next day  week.
  • Don’t blame Jim Buss, it was Jeanie that let Phil go!  I think the Lakers are toast!
  • Turner and Gordon at 2B as a platoon?  Looks a lot like it.
  • Matt Kemp will be back by April 15th.
  • I have to get up at 4AM to watch the Dodgers?  Goodnight everybody!

Oh, and then there is this:

DODGERS ANNOUNCE 25-MAN ROSTER FOR OPENING DAY IN SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

Federowicz optioned; three reassigned, three placed on the disabled list

LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today announced their 25-man Opening Day roster for the 2014 Opening Series in Sydney, Australia. The club also placed pitchers Chad Billingsley (right elbow surgery) and Josh Beckett (right thumb contusion) and outfielder Matt Kemp (ankle surgery) on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 19. Additionally, catcher Tim Federowicz was optioned to the minor leagues and outfielder Joc Pederson, pitcher Zach Lee and infielder Miguel Rojas were reassigned. General Manager Ned Colletti made the announcement. A full Roster is attached for your reference.

The 25-man Opening Day roster as broken down by position:

• Mike Baxter (L)
  • Andre Ethier (L)
  • Yasiel Puig
  • Scott Van Slyke

Infielder/Outfielder (1):

• Chone Figgins

The following three pitchers have been have been placed under a roster exemption: RHP Zack Greinke, RHP Dan Haren and RHP Brandon League. In addition, outfielder Carl Crawford is on paternity leave.

worlds-best

Please explain the Jeannie Phil thing. Is it simply she doesn’t want him in the office across the hall? She really believes he is in over his head? Laker fans are puzzled. And I hope I’m wrong, but I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see the Lakers win another NBA Championship before the Pacers win their first. Never count the Lakers down for long.

I am not going to pretend I have a clue about our roster. I’ll just predict move after move all year.

As far as I’m concerned the season starts against the Padres.

In northern Utah I am 698 miles from Phoenix yet MLB just blacked me out saying I’m in AZs viewing area.

I can get the game on Foxsports AZ so Badger if your up, you can find it there.

3. Watford Dodger says:

Well I was wrong. A good first win & Clayton was dialled in. SVS was excellent – robbed by the fence of a second homer. Great start & the pen looks lights out.

Were they using a slow gun? Didn’t see a pitch over 92 (and that was only one pitch), and didn’t see Kershaw get above 88 (unless I missed a few pitches).

Don’t even want to touch the roster moves. That will all likely change between now and opening day in the States.

Is it time to start pushing SVS for MVP?

OK, time to catch up on a little lost sleep and get ready for the second game of the day night doubleheader (and least, that’s what it feels like here in the U.S.).

Got up early and watched the recording. Amazing how short a baseball game is when you skip the dead time.

Puig looks lost, SVS looks found and nether team hit all that well. The dbacks first hit was an error by Ramirez. Kershaw looked great. Obviously am pleased with the W. I say again, we can win the low scoring games and I believe we will see a lot of them.

Thank goodness for a reserve outfielder led the hitting attack.

What is with Kershaw going for a double!!! A single would have been enough at the time. Also, less chance for injury sliding into second.

D-Backs looked overmatched by Dodger pitching.

Nice win down under.

Yeah, not a smart move by Kershaw. But, that’s how he’s wired.

Any news on Hanley? I haven’t really looked. Sure hope Puig gets his head out of his ass soon.

8. the truth hurts says:

What a way to start the year, with a win.

Last year, Ryu followed Kershaw in game 2 and allowed 10 hits in six innings in his first start for the blue against the Giants. I think he leaves a different first impression this year.

Puig and Hanley both hit tonight! Van Slyke goes yard again!

Kershaw is a stud!

I’m not worried about Puig. Just missed hitting it out in his last at bat. I’m sure he has adjustments to make, and maybe he was amped up too much for his first opening day. I’m inclined to be patient with him.

10. Bob says:

I live too far away for radio and too close for TV. Greedy bastards!

A win is a win and they are guaranteed to come back with at least with a split.
    Kershaw back to normal!!
    Puig looks terrible. Send him to AAA and bring back FedEx or platton him with Baxter.
    Hurray for Scottie!
    Gonzalez looks like a player with a bad back.
    RISP 0-6, same ole same ole
    Did I say Hurray for Van Slyke?
    Turner’s error – Not surprised.
    3 closers! Amazing!
    TV channel Still sucks.
    Does Jensen have a new pitch? That late breaking monster slider?? was freaky.
    Did I say Hurray Hurray for Scott Van Slyke?
    Happy Happy, except for the McCourt TV Channel.

11. Bobbie17 says:

I was wrong too. Nice win on opening day. Tough conditions for both teams. I’m here in Phoenix with no Dodger Blue to watch, except minor leaguers with no names on their jerseys to identify them. I hope this is the last time for a while that MLB sends Blue anywhere in the Spring. I saw Lasorda at a minor league game the other day. I guess he didn’t make the trip. Didn’t seem to miss it. Friendly as ever.

So who starts in the Freeway? Lee and Rosin? I would only play the regulars for about 5 innings. Those who need the at bats only….. which appears to be just about everybody.

Game on at 11 here. Got my exercise in, a little brefas’ and I’m ready for some more Dodger baseball.

That was me. And I’m pretty sure I got my self analysis right.

But thanks for the support and the invite. I accept!

Yesh, it’s on at 4. I’m eating more cereal and watching some Madness.

13. Watford Dodger says:

Badger – last season you mentioned on numerous occasions the value of a true Lead off hitter. It is a speciized position requiring the ability to selectively chose which pitches to either hit or leave with the idea being to get on base ahead of the RBI guys. A mature, controlled approach is needed with the ability to work the count and draw a walk if necessary. That description does not fit Yasiel Puig. He needs to bat further down the order. Watching him flailing around last night made me realize that he is not the man for the job. If he is ever available we need to go with Crawford & even he swings at too many pitches he doesn’t have to. I hope Gordon gets the start tonight and leads off.

Another rebroadcast. Game starts at 7. I just can’t seem to get it right.

I agree W. Puig is, in my world, a #3 hitter. Speed, average and power. Ideally he should be able to get on base at .380 because he’s such a threat pitchers will nibble and that results in a lot of walks. But not with this kid. He has Kemp disease – swinging at pitches no where near the strike zone. If pitchers know they don’t have to throw a strike to get him out, he won’t see many. He should grow out of it. How long will it take? I figure a maybe a few years, unless a light goes on. Hasn’t yet.

15. Watford Dodger says:

Well Dee gets the start but SVS sits. It’s been a long season – he must be tired.
    Only in Donnie’s world do you sit a man who should had 2 homers in the previous game.
    WTF

Good point. I just looked at the tv schedule. Here in Arizona Suddenlink has played the same game 3 times TODAY! Who does that? Well, obviously Suddenlink does. Am betting nobody is watching this one. What fan wants to watch their team lose 3 times? But, this is Arizona. There will be some watching this game expecting a different result.

It is a commonly held misconception that toilet water always drains counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere because of the Coriolis force an acceleration imparted by the Earth’s rotation. The influence of the Coriolis force on spin direction is real, but it is generally only observable on very large scales, such as trade winds and hurricanes.

I see they are in different colors tonight. I think I’m finally going to see a different game. The young lady singing the Australia National a Anthem…. Yowza!

4 games in one day. Well, I know the Dodgers already won the first three…., let’s go for the sweep!

Oh…. and Go Ducks!

Dodgers in home whites. Puig with a hit, Ethier an RBI but out by several feet trying to stretch a single. Another base running blunder by Dodgers.

Good game by the underdog Ducks.

20. Quasimodo says:

The direction of how water drains is influenced easily by many things, even what hemispheres you’re in. I’ve witnessed different toilets spinning in opposite directions in the northern hemisphere. So with me against the whole world I’m the winner as I have the ability to make water drain either clockwise or counterclockwise.

Ryu just cost Gordon a triple. I think I could outrun Ryu. Puig with another bonehead baserunning error. This does not appear to be a fundamentally sound baseball team.

22. T.O.Dave says:

No worries mates, it’s still spring training. And some how we’ll be 2-0 to start the season. I love being down under. We still have time to figure it all out before the postseason. I’m giddy that we’ll be 2-0 on the road while AZ will be 0-2 to start their home record IN SPRING TRAINING. It’s all a matter of perspective. I’m keep’n it positive. Gooday

23. Watford Dodger says:

Put Kemp in this team for Baxter and we look good. Gordon getting on base is key. If he does then he stays. Speed is a great weapon.
    Don’t think the D’backs pitchers are allowing for the Corialis Effect.

Let’s be honest: It’s still spring training. There will still be spring training type mistakes on march 21.

The fact is we won 2 spring training type games which luckily for us happen to count as real.

I’ll take it!! 2-0.

What’s magic number ?

True. And I’ll take the two wins. We were fortunate the dbacks were less prepared. And fact is we have better talent than they do. We should beat them. Cahill was missing his spots horribly and his defense let him down.

And we know what to work on. Defense is sloppy, base running is abysmal and our second line of bullpen arms don’t look ready. We got a week. And we open against another bottom of division opponent. Could be a great start for this team.

Click Here to Leave a Reply