Lots of Dodger fans complained about the teams lackluster Spring Training performance. Some even said “you can’t just turn it on and off.”
Well, they just did! Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I don’t think the D-Bags are a very good team and I couldn’t be happier about it (apologies to Josh Rawitch).
It was a long day for me – I woke up at 4 AM to watch the rain-delay until the game started and I stayed up until 1:30 AM (this is all EDT) to watch the second game. And… this was after spending 3 days in Orlando at a Conference (which means late nite partying) – funny, 60 is the new 40 for me!
But, I digress. What a couple of great games, except for Dee Gordon’s lapses at 2B and Yasiel Puig’s dope-fiend base running… oh and that pen implosion at the end! But the Dodgers hung on for the sweep. I am convinced that Dee Gordon will NEVER be an infielder. Oh, he will oooohhhh and awwwweeee you at times, but he’s just not that guy. He belongs in CF, where he can run down anything. If he proves that he can get on base, then the Dodgers have a duo of outfielders they can trade along with a duo of starting pitchers. But, that’s to be determined. I would love an outfield of Kemp in LF, Gordon in CF and Puig in RF.
What’s the last thing a stupid redneck says before he dies? “Hey, yo’all watch this!” That’s how I feel about Yasiel Puig right about now. What a talent! What a moron!
Here’s my take on this team:
- The Dodgers would be felony stupid to bat Gordon 8th or 9th! If he can’t get on base – he can’t play. His defense is awful. But if he can hit and get on base, he has to lead off because the Dodgers are a different team with him at the top of the order. It’s his bat that will get him in the lineup, not his glove.
- The Dodger starters will be awesome this year. Ryu looks ready to take his game to the next level. Haren should be solid. Greinke and Kershaw will contend for the Cy Young and Beckett, Billingsley or Maholm should fill the 5 spot very nicely. Can you say BEST ROTATION IN BASEBALL?
- BTW, Bills will be back by May 1st.
- Is it just my imagination or does Adrian Gonzalez look a little faster on the bases? I could swear he was a freakin’ gazelle last night.
- Look for Matt Kemp to return to MVP level right away.
- Juan Uribe will make everyone forget about wanting a new third baseman.
- Goodbye Mike Baxter – I’d rather have Pederson, but he’s not on the 40 man roster and doesn’t have to be until November, so Baxter will likely stay until Kemp returns is a few days.
- Chone Figgins is getting on base and giving the Dodgers a lot of flexibility. If he can keep it up, the Dodgers bench will be fine.
- If I were FedEx – I’d want to kill myself… sending me down for Butera? Drew must have pictures of Ned and Magic’s Johnson.