… not because they will be out of the race, but for two reasons:
- They have a plethora of starters IF (BIG IF) they all stay healthy; and
- If they stay healthy, this is the Dodgers chance to get younger.
I have not been a huge Zach Lee fan, but he showed me something yesterday – he can play up to his competition. I now think he can be a good middle to back of the rotation starter, so if the Big Three stay healthy and one more, that mean the Dodgers could trade some of the following pitchers for top prospects:
- Josh Beckett – If he regains his form, some team could use him down the stretch;
- Chad Billingsley – If healthy, he could command a couple of Top Prospects;
- Dan Haren – See Josh Beckett; or
- Paul Malholm – I have a feeling a team might pay a lot for a lefty after the break.
By trading two or three of those pitchers (again, if they are healthy), the Dodgers could slot Zach Lee in the #5 spot… and get 100 years younger in the process, while upgrading the farm. Let’s not forget that the Dodgers still have Matt Magill, Red Patterson, Stephen Fife and others at the ready too. There is a lot of time left, but I am always looking forward. In the playoffs the fifth starter is often irrelevant, so losing 2 or 3 of the 4 pitchers mentioned above would not be a huge deal. It will be a sellers market then… it always is! It’s a logjam now, but no one can predict what will happen.
Rants & Raves:
- Brandon League will take years off of Mattingly’s life – Ned needs to help Don out!
- Guggenheim and Company have to fork over almost Two Billion of the Eight Billion they got for their TV rights to MLB. They thought it would be a lot less, but there was no wiggle room. That’s approximately $40,000,000 a year. That took a lot of profit which means they might not be able to continue with exorbitant payrolls. It will produce an impact – to be determined!
- 2B is Guerero’s to lose and Dee Gordon needs to start hitting to make the team. Chone Figgins is a lock (yes I see his BA, but he’s a lock)!
- I read about Hanley Ramirez going to 3B and I think it’s a bad place for him to play. In two years, he should go to LF, not 3B!
- Yasiel Puig only knows one way to play – Damn the torpedoes, Full speed ahead!
- Manny Ramirez is still looking for a job. Seriously? Try McDonald’s Manny – they can use a person of your skills!