It seems that the Dodgers’ blogosphere is all up in arms about Ross Stripling’s elbow.  “OMG, he should have told someone.”  “Why did he not just stop?”

The people who ask these questions have obviously never played professionally or maybe even at an amateur level.  If you quit something every time you felt a twinge, you would be branded that guy who no one wants to play with.  Real competitive athletes play through pain – lots of it.  If they told someone every time they felt pain, they would be branded as crybabies.  STOP IT!  Ross Stripling is a competitor.  The odds are once he felt the pain, the damage was already done.  Chad Billingsley rested and we saw how well that went.

I know everyone is frustrated with Matt Kemp and others who try and play through pain, but you have to realize that is what makes them great.  Your greatest strength can be your most glaring weakness.

If Ross needs TJ, odds are he will be back stronger, faster and more determined.  Move on people – there’s nothing to see or say here!

Athletes are going to continue to try and play with pain… if they didn’t, they wouldn’t be athletes!   Save your breath!   This is not mamby pamby land…

Rants and Raves

• To say that Chris Reed didn’t make a good first impression would be a gross understatement!
  • Dee Gordon has my eye!
  • So does Joc Pederson!
  • Darnell Freakin’ Sweeney looks like he could compete for the 2B job… which I know he can’t…. can he?  Sometimes kids come from nowhere…
  • Chone Figgins looks like a guy the Dodgers will utilize.
  • This just in:  the “cash considerations” the Dodgers received for Justin Sellers was a $2 bill.

Residential-Collage-m

1. Bob says:

If we can’t rag on Ross can we rag on the incompetent LAD SNLA negotiating team? If there isn’t a deal within 3 days I might have to change my channel to the Iditarod race.

I have the MLB package for my iPad. I am reading up on a VPN or some way to hide your location (its called HIDE MY ASS) to keep from being blacked out. Has anyone used this?

I have DirectTV and I know we will be the last to sign on with the new Dodger Network. Can I give back the Laker Channel? I never watched it anyway! :(

• Glass Is Half Full says:

Verizon FIOS jumped on the Lakers before the season started last year….hoping they do the same for the Dodgers…If not I will be looking to change providers…It will come down to the last few days of negotiations…You know Direct TV will go….too many bars use Direct tv in So Cal…

3. Rob says:

If needed I hope they get stripling under the knife as soon as possible without any plasma injections or witchcraft. I like your last sentence about sellers, I didn’t know he was worth so much.

Romo,

I use HMA all the time. For example, when the Dodgers are in Cincy or Chicago, I can’t always get the games on MLB unless I change the VPN to LA or PHX. It works great.

5. Watford Dodger says:

I’m watching ST for the first time & I can see why you guys who have visited in person enjoy it so much. It’s really up close & personal. It’s amazing how many players are used – players right at the end of the Dodger’s depth chart. It’s really good to be able to put a face to a name. Quite enjoying the coverage – Orel is good. I know it’s early days but I can see positives – Beckett. Rosin, Dominguez, Gordon, Hanley’s health, Pederson but a few negatives – namely Guerrero. I’m not sure about him on both sides of the ball. He is obviously rusty after a year off but nothing looks natural to me. Also Kemp’s health is a big blow. He is going to be a while and I’m not sure he will ever be able to base run like he did – too risky. Takes away a big part of what he did if you include his range in the outfield. Also although some of the numerous utility guys look ok none are as good as Punto. I’m not sure we realised what an asset we had last year.

Kershaw again. Great 1st and 2nd inning, but lost control in the 3rd inning and got hit. Donnie had to pull him out after going over 40 pitches. He still have some work to do.

League is pitching now. He needs more work.

My initial thinking was that Guerrero would begin the season in LA, most likely in a platoon with Gordon at 2B. However, upon further reflection, I could see him beginning the season in ALBQ. or even Chattanooga. If management thinks he needs more time, there are other alternatives to his righthanded bat. I could see Justin Turner and/or Chone Figgins being part of a platoon for a month or two. Also, starting Guerrero in the minors creates more flexibility with the roster early in the season, giving the Dodgers more time to make up their minds about any player currently on the bubble.

Just got the latest Baseball America, with their top 100. Four Dodgers made the list:

#34 – Joc Pederson #37 – Corey Seager #51 – Julio Urias – also the youngest player on the list #95 – Zach Lee

8. Bob says:

Rosin is making things interesting. Is he that good or did he start pitching early in January in order to make a good early impression? If this performance continues then he is going with the team Down Under.

4 Errors today. That is a really bad game. Rojas with 2 errors. Did he just Sellerize himself back into AAA?

Figgins? Maybe, maybe not. Hopefully he can hit his weight. However, if he can play 5 positions and pinch run then maybe he only has to hit .180.

Olivo is getting interesting as a backup C. Ned is the kind of GM that would send FedEx to AAA just to have more depth.

Ethier likes to hit in AZ for sure.

Gordon – It is a no doubt triple when 2 catchers are batted in. Gordon’s new strength may require the outfielders to reposition themselves fairly soon. Is it time to change the scouting report on him?

League – Trade or cut bait.

9. Bob says:

Another loss. No big deal. Some spring training records for some recent World Series winners.

2013 Boston 17-17 2011 St. Louis 14-16 2008 Phils 12-18 2005 White Sox 14-18

And World Series losers 2011 Texas 13-16 2010 Texas 10-19 2009 Phils 13-19 2005 Astros 14-14

I guess with some creative roster moves, and maybe a trade or two it is possible for Rosin to open the season with the Dodgers down under. But unless he’s lights out right from the start, it will be difficult for him to stay the entire season. Probably the best chance the Dodgers have of keeping him is to work out a deal with the Phillies. Having him open the season with the Dodgers would buy some time to put together a deal.

Just saw the replay of Gordon’s triple today, and there is no doubt that he’s hitting the ball harder. And harder hit balls are more likely to get through the gaps and down the lines to the outfield wall. In other words, more extra base hits. In fact, if he continues to hit the ball hard, Gordon becomes a legitimate option to start an occasional game in the outfield, or to replace an outfielder late in a game (either defensively or as a pinch runner).

Of course, it’s only spring training. The regular season is something else altogether. But at least it’s a step in the right direction.

11. Izzy says:

Well, besides all of that, one game did not damage his arm. It might have been the final straw, but guaranteed the issue existed for some time. So, most of the talk is overdone.

My own preference from the beginning was for Clayton and Zach to experience Australia on their own time. Just think that trip they really don’t want to take could greatly affect their getting in their groove for the other 160 games that also count.

Thanks again Mark for keeping shop open

Well now — Spring Training, and after 1 week or so, the adjusted pitching rotation from the first week looks like this to me:

1 – Beckett 2 – Haren 3 – Ryu 4 – Greinke 5 – Kershaw

With Maholm knocking at the door.

Maybe the Cardinals are selling a “How To Hit Kershaw” DVD to the other teams in baseball!!!!

14. Bob says:

MLB is wise in allowing the Dodgers and D-Backs to take 30 men on the trip to Australia. The Dodgers do not have to be very creative when they cut the roster down to 30 for the games in Australia. A few players added to the 15 and 60 day disabled lists is currently highly probable. 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30

15. Watford Dodger says:

Jerry can’t agree with you on that one. I think Clayton cares very much. If you watch carefully you will see that Donnie is having to pull him out of every single game. He wants to go all 9 innings every time. They have to wrestle the ball from him to protect him from himself. He won’t be thinking about the $$$ just his lack of a World Series Ring. He will sort it out. Branden League on the other hand….

Speaking of caring very much, I’m looking at the headline in the Arizona sports section and the dbacks are taking the first two games quite seriously. They are planning on starting the regular season with a two game lead. Hope the Dodgers are ready.

Click Here to Leave a Reply