… but when you hit one of ours, we will hit one of yours.  The Dodgers need to develop a reputation of a team you don’t mess with.

When Adrian Gonzalez got hit after Hanley homered in the third inning, A-Gon should have charged the mound.   My policy is that if you hit me, even if it’s not on purpose, I am coming for you, so that maybe the next time it won’t be so much inside.  You also have to drill one of theirs, but it doesn’t have to be right away.    Greinke should have drilled their first baseman – Albert What’s His Name before he was ready to come out of the game.  Someone has to hit somebody.  That was a message pitch to Adrian after the HR.  Mike Scioscia plays that game.

Don Mattingly doesn’t manage that way and I think it’s wrong.  That’s why Hanley was lost for the NLCS.  Send a message to everyone:  You hit ours, we hit yours!  Don’t take that crap.

Yasiel Puig understands what to do!

I’m headed the Myrtle Beach, SC today for a week.  I’ll probably post… or not.  This is family vacation on Spring Break!

Here’s me next week:

worlds-best

1. TMWISH says:

C’mon Mark. You really think it would be worth not having Adrian for the first week because he got hit in a exhibition game? Really? Did you think Carlos Q did the right thing last year? No of course not and he was rightfully vilified for doing it. Charging the mound is stupid. Retaliating is stupid. These are adults and professionals making millions of dollars. They should act like it and not be hateful. The way you gain respect is by being the best not by being the nastiest. People remember Greg Maddux. They don’t know who the hell is John Rocker.

Charging the mound is stupid, I’ll give you that. Retaliating is just part
    of the game. Pick your spots. I wouldn’t be surprised if it happens today.

Btw, is Adrian ok?

Myrtle Beach is my sister’s favorite vacationing spot. They go down from Pennsylvania in their motor home every year. Have fun. And check in dammit.

3. Bob says:

Getting hit by a pitch, while barely trying to get out of the way, by a pitcher with the 3rd most HBPs last year, and who was off his game the entire night? No, just buzz somebody for that.

Based upon certain internet predictions regarding where minor league players will be assigned next week, the Quakes could be a better place to watch a quality team than the SNLA travesty. Some very good pitchers plus Seager! 4 of 11 top prospects?

Buzz it is! Pujols Chin Music. Get the band tuned up. Time to dance Albert.

We have some decent minor leaguers now. Guerrero and Arruebarista are the two I’d like to watch. And Seager of course, but he is a few years away. The two Cubans are ’bout ready now. but cept for Guerrero’s intercostal oblique.

• TMWISH says:

Snla is great idk what you are talking about there and retaliating is stupid. RetaliTing just escalates everything. Getting hit by a pitch is a part of the game and there is a punishment for it. It is called a free player on base that is the end of it.

4. Quasimodo says:

Some managers give the hit batter their choice of who they want hit, or even if they want anybody hit. That’s especially true in the AL. Charging the mound rates closer to head hunting and I’m not in favor either, though it can be very entertaining. Its simply too risky. I do think paybacks are in order when a batter gets hit.

Mark, have a good time on your vacation. Cheers!

5. Watford Dodger says:

I’m not charging in an exhibition game but I would have been charging Kelly in that NLCS game. Absolutely. No doubt. We need to play with an edge. Actually Grienke gets it – didn’t he plunk one of the D’backs after Kennedy hit Puig on the nose last year? May have got that wrong but sure he did something like that.

I’m with Mark on this one.

• donnie says:

no offense, but I just dont see how hanley with a fractured rib charging the mound ends well. doesnt seem smart.
      it was unfortunate and unlucky but in a mustwin game you have to keep your poise

I didn’t see the game last night, so I really can’t comment on the circumstances under which Adrian was hit. Seems to me, however, that the Dodgers have established that they’re not a team that will stand idly by when their players are thrown at. Without having seen what happened, I have to believe that no one was throwing at Adrian in an exhibition game. Quite frankly, without some sort of provocation from the Dodgers, throwing at them would be downright stupid under those circumstances.

Given all that, buzzing Albert, not hitting him, would probably have sent enough of a message. Sunday night will be a whole other thing. And quite frankly, hasn’t Greinke shown us that he is not someone to shirk from protecting his players when necessary?

Saw the video and Gonzalez sort of turned into it. No biggie as far as I’m concerned. Let it go. If you charge the mound bring the bat with you…. then pull up. Strike the fear of Thor in him and then let your pitcher handle the rest.

Speaking of videos, I think I got Gordon behind the bag. Hope so anyway. For SpoBob, whose vision is skewed by flying with only his right wing:

No more betting on preseason games. I just thought that maybe the Dodgers might want to show who’s the real LA team in the area. Scotty Van looks like a good sub at 1st base. Hanley looks like he’s in midseason form. Using the MLB package and the Hide my Ass software tonight. So far it’s working out pretty good.

Terrible first inning for the Dodgers — but it is Spring Training.

Can’t say that too much longer.

Say, I think Z. Lee’s ticket is taped to his locker. He needs more seasoning. That throw on the bunt to 1st base needs work.

Lee doesn’t look close to me. But then we know he’s still a minor leaguer. However, he’s 22, I think he should throw harder. At 91 mph he better change speeds and hit corners.

AJ rally killer.

Lee actually showing some signs he knows how to pitch, moving it around, up and down, in and out. Too many mistakes though. He can get away with some of that in AA. Not here.

Kind of a boring game. Going back and forth between this and basketball. BB more exciting, though an all Kentucky matchup doesn’t move me like it does some. I got Louisville going to the Final 4, so….. but I’m not that invested.

12. Bball says:

Badger. I no your a stickler for how many people are in the seats. Last night 35,000 tonight about the same. Do they no it’s a spring training game? I see 81+ sellouts this year. The + is obviously playoff games. It’s going to be a fun year can’t wait till Sunday and especially next Friday.

13. Bob says:

Lee does not look like a person that ever played football and looks to me like a kid with a 19 year olds’ body. Does the Dodger player development department understand that the kids need aerobics, strength training, stretching, and skill training?

All of the Dodgers look small compared to the Angels.

Is Figgins really better than Rojas?

Lee made progress during the game and should achieve a 2.25 ERA before thinking that he is ready to become the Dodger #5 starter in 2015 or 2016.

A win is a win and the bullpen did a better job tonight. Sweeney is slowly climbing up the Dodger prospect rankings. Happy to see some of the kids play tonight. They now see how much they need to improve.

14. Pete M. says:

Bob bingo on Rojas… Welcome to the bigs Joc, this will be your home soon… I still like Lee…Great analogy on AA vs. MLB…
    Tell you one kid that is put together, Seager.
    Damn it’s good to have baseball…
    Bill Russell, could you explain H.M.Y. software??

H M A software
    It allows you to select an IP address outside of the LA area so you can watch the home games on MLB package. If you don’t have this software, you will be blacked out for the home games. It gives you many choices throughout the US and also International locations. I signed up for 6 months of $49.99. You have the option of buying it for 1 month at $11.52, 6 months at $49.99 or 1 yr at $78.66. Pretty cool stuff

It’s my opinion you shouldn’t have to do that. Something is inherently wrong when you force your fans to hide their ass. You are making the money with the tv contract, fill the ballpark up with reasonably priced tickets. I’m a dinasaur.

I don’t see Figgins helping this club. Lee was a quarterback. Many if them aren’t built like football players. Still believe we are better with Guerrero at 2b. Any time Carl. Kemp stealing bases in JV games.

The Dodgers own Sports-Net LA but Time Warner Cable operates it.

Geez. Who’s running this operation? They’ve sold a record number of season tickets. Fill up the stadium every night with promotions, giveaways, blocks of $10 seats and let everybody else in Southern Cslifornia buy coverage just like they buy HBO. The audience is standing in a line that stretches from Fresno to San Diego County and they are waving their money at you idiots. Get your collective $hit together and make this happen.

I saw Joc Peterson at Camelback and have become a big fan of this kid. I would love to see him with the Big Club as soon as we can ship out some of the Stars that don’t have to play hard anymore because of their huge contracts.

I overheard someone talking about Dodger Management not being happy with Time Warner yesterday. Holding other TV providers hostage and demanding large premiums for the rights to Televise Dodger games. This could become a huge issue for the average fan if this doesn’t get resolved soon. What a mess

Last night. Bases loaded, Figgins on 1st base. Ball hit to the infield, throw to home, 1 out —- and Figgins is kind of standing around where the 1st baseman plays and looks the situation over. Not really moving toward 2nd base. The catcher throws to 2nd and thus a double play. Stupid baseball.

With a ball hit on the ground, everyone has to be moving. Now. No looking, just go to second Figgins. I see two options for him:

1) cut him how.

2) invite him to go to AAA or AA and get some work in, and IF the Dodgers need him during the season because of injuries, etc. Then consider bringing him up for the bench.

The only thing I can think of on Figgins behalf is did he think the infielder could tag him and throw to first for a double play? It did appear to be a stupid play on his part. I would have to see it over again to see why he frooze.

I just don’t see value in Figgins. Even if he takes a minor league contract I think we have the depth we need with Rojas at AAA. That play cinched it for me. Deer in headlights. You gotta take off in that play. Ball’s on the ground – your balls are in flight.

21. Anonymous says:

We have plenty of pitchers whether that translates to pitching remains to be seen. Seems like very single starter we have has had a stumbling block, exasperated by the early ST. Even though Clayton wasn’t at his best this spring we just had to throw him another curveball by starting him down under to make Bud “TGI your swan song” happy.

I’m willing to admit I’m concerned. Of course the Dodgers are soft selling it, but anytime your ace goes on the disabled list it’s a problem.

Ramirez looks ready. Crawford doesn’t.

Rob, you say the Dodgers have plenty of pitching to start the season . . .

Yes, there is the roster of name. But getting people out is another thing.

Donny does not seem to have this club ready for the season.

What my eyes see, is this:

AGon is hitting weak balls here and there, the power is hidden somewhere. He will warm up later, maybe.

2B – do not even know who gets that start. Alex is hurt and in the minors.

SS – Hanley seems ready to roll.

3B – Uribe is picking up where he left off last fall.

Crawford – looks out of sinc. He might warm up later.

Ethier seems to have lost power, but will battle it all the way.

Puig seems on track now. Working on things.

Ellis is Ellis. Not much of a hitter — and he takes too many pitches, which means he gets few swings to try and hit the ball. Dodgers need to up grade by next Feb.

Pitching. Supposed to be the strong point on this team — looks in dis-a-ray. Ned had a bunch of starters lined up in Feb . . . now it is hard to count them.

Other teams’ pitching seems to blow out Dodger hitters of late.

All winter, the press and Dodger fans were ready to print World Series tickets. Better play the season first –

Well the JV is on the field.

Baxter? Why?

I think we will be ok for the first couple of weeks. Gonna be interesting to see who steps up.

Think I’ll switch over to basketball.

Let me bring up a real positive Dodger happening . . .

On Pederson’s home run the other night. A might blast.

Years ago, when I was in college (in Missouri), listening to a Dodger game on the radio, Dick Nen, a young 1B, hit for the Dodgers and stroke a mighty HR. Vin was doing the game and remarked that the ball Nen hit, was like a blast that Babe Ruth used to hit — and really, no one had hit them like that since the Babe.

That was just like the one Pederson hit the other night.

Postscript, Dick Nen did not have much of a career in the majors. That was the only HR he hit as a Dodger and then went to Washington. A total of 826 ABs in majors.

He did have a son, Robb Nen, who pitched from 1993-2002 with Texas, Florida, and the Giants.

After a terrific basketball game it is decided by a controversial call by a referee. Arizona got hosed.

I’m just about done with mlbtv. Their tech support is horrible and this buffering problem makes the broadcast unwatchable.

27. Bob says:

Haren looks ready, cough.

League not terrible tonight.

Magill is a candidate for long reliever or #6 starter, good job.

Stay healthy, no more guys to the DL for a month please.

IT IS THE REAL THING TOMMORROW!!!!!

Good thing the Dodgers are 2 games ahead already.

You asked me that. My browser is Chrome, I have enough speed, enough bandwidth, my router and modem are new enough, nobody has an answer. Tech support at mlbtv is a joke. Tonight I had a young lady that didn’t have a clue and it sounded like there was a party going on in the background. Saturday night at work. Very frustrating. I’ll give it a couple more days, maybe it will work itself out once the season starts. Voldy said I need a Ryku booster, techs said that wasn’t the problem. Two of them did. Two didn’t know if it would help. Seems a lot of people are having issues trying to get to see the Dodgers.

Mark said it right. We’ve played like crap all spring, except for only 2 games which mattered, and we showed up.

Let’s see tomorrow if the switch if flipped. I had tix for opening night in San Diego, but then had to come to Singapore for work. Thank God for this mlb app in HD! Oh, and for the dish network hopper, which lets me watch all channels live, including ESPN for opening night.

29. Bob says:

The Twin’s Ace is Nolasco. What does that say about them?

Biemel makes the Mariners opening day roster! What does that say about him or the Mariners pen?

Nice to see a lot of AAA and AA players tonight. Good player development move while most of the Angel starters are playing and showing the real world to the kids.

THE REAL THING STARS TOMMORROW!

Will ESPN Be blacked out for people who live more than 2 hours away from Dodger Stadium?

That was a game, and frankly a series, that didn’t need to be seen. The junior varsity was 6 for 31 with 11 K’s. yawn. Yeah, those young players have a lot of work to do. None of them, including Pederson, are ready in my estimation.

It continues tonight. We go to San Diego with a two game lead. And tonight’s game won’t be broadcast in staccato. For me that’s a plus.

I would guess it is your video card Badger. MLB won’t be able to help you. Talk to a computer guru. I used to have those problems on older computers. I rarely have any problems anymore unless Comcast screws up.

While I am no geek, I can tell you that the newer computers are so much more able to handle streaming video.

32. Pete M. says:

Badger you’re right on with the JV stuff!!!
    But boy do I love to see these kids for one last curtain call before embarking to the minors. Yep a majority of them will never see their name on a opening day 25 man roster, but just for that game/moment they will have stories to pass on to neices, nephews and grandkids…
    Let Darnell Sweeney sum it up after his game winning walk off heroics…
    “I haven’t seen this many fans, I haven’t played in a triple deck like this, ever,” Sweeney said. “It felt good to actually get my feet wet for the first time.”
    And hopefully Mom & Dad taped it…

You may be right Mark. AMD Radeon 6310 card. Reviews say good, but not great. More power needed for many video games. Do I need more power for mlbtv? Nobody said so when I ordered it, nor when I talked to various techs. A new computer is not happening right now.

Click Here to Leave a Reply