What scares me is that Brandon League and Brian Wilson are toast.  I know it’s early, but I felt what Brian Wilson accomplished last year was “smoke and mirrors” induced (I know someone will produce some statistics that say otherwise, but he was flat-out lucky at times), and I was against re-signing him… especially at $10 million.

Wilson has lost velocity over his heyday and struggled to hit 91 last night.  He snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.   That said, you don’t deserve to win when only score one run!   So, there’s that.

Ned strikes again!   $17 million tied up in scrap heap arms.  Bag of hammers dumb!  Boy, I hope I am wrong.  The thing is – the Dodgers have the arms internally to replace them.  I thought it was stupid to re-sign either one, but here we are!

At the very least, this should serve as an example of why it’s such a bad idea to buy arms for the bullpen… especially when you have plenty in your system.

By the way,  Yasiel looked focused on the bases and in the field last night – excellent throws to the cutoff man.  I hear that he really wants to improve in that area.  Good for him!  Great for us!

worlds-best

1. jhallwally says:

I agree totally that signing League was idiocy… But that is what Nedcompoop is known for.. Wilson is only on a one year deal.. Not as bad and I think he will do fine over the season…

Your best point however, the offense sucked…. If you only score one run a game, you will lose most of the time…

2. Bob says:

Why else would Brian Wilson be tinkering around with a knuckleball? He can no longer rely on the stuff he’s always had prior to his surgery. That fastball was ridiculous. Wasn’t he at 94 last year? Denorfia was salivating on that 3-2 pitch. Looks like a dead arm. He didn’t look very good this spring and now this fiasco. Chalk up another loss that should have been a victory. I’m sure the Dodgers are concerned. It will be interesting to see what they do.

3. donnie says:

Wilson threw 91 last year, so he didn’t lose velocity since October.

He simply struggled with location. It happens to everybody. Even Kershaw struggles with location twice per year. No need to overreact to 1 bad outing.

4. Bobbie17 says:

Wilson’s history is that he almost never pitches a clean inning and probably averages 20-25 pitches every time he takes the one inning mound. He has been great overcoming what seems to be a disadvantage for most pitchers. Behind counts. Long counts. He has always wiggled off the hook. Not last night. The Giants called it “torture” all the way to a title. Let’s hope that last night was an aberration. By the way, do we want Puig to start thinking? Be careful what you wish for.

5. Mike says:

I noticed the Chris Perez looked good last night, albeit it was for only one hitter, but he threw strikes. So there’s that option should Wilson continue to have location troubles.

TMWISH,

Hey, can you learn to read English or do I have to write in another language? I did not say he was done. Just that I am concerned. If you need someone to explain what I wrote before you post, I would appreciate it as your dumbass comments are boring!

Wilson might have not been sharp, OK, but the game was also lost on the serious lack of Dodger hitting. Period.

We have just been too used to winning 1-0 games with the pen closing the door.

But the Padres did what they had to do in the pitching department — and won that 1st game.

Let’s go get ‘em in the second game.

8. SpokaneBob says:

The good news is that we have lots of depth on the staff. We should have won last night but stuff happens. As much as any loss hurts we just have to focus on the big picture. It is a long season and our talent will prevail.

Brian Wilson made 10 milyun on 13.2 innings if work. Damn. I hope he’s not toast. I still plenty of movement on his pitches. Same with League. They just need to hit their spots. I’m not as concerned about them as I am about the defensive lapses and the lethargic looking offense. This team looks drugged.

Fernandez and his Miami team are beating the Rockies 2 to 0 in the 5th inning and have the bases loaded.

Fernandez has given up 45 hits and has 8 K through 5 innings.

Interesting.

Have seen a bunch of the games today in bits and pieces.

Settle down troops, it’s a long long season and this year Matt will be the ENERGIZER.
    I find it interesting that the $300 million man is coming to town right after our home opening series and then we finish off April in Minnie hopefully against old friend Ricky.

I’m so tired, tired of waiting

Kevin, quit being a stupid dumbass. I said what scares me is that Wilson and League are toast. I did not say they were toast. Dude, you can’t comment here if you only have a double digit IQ. Not my fault. Talk to your parents, but STFU!

I’m not that worried that either are toast. wtf do I care? I got other things to worry about. Real life things. The Dodgers have a plethora of good arms. It’ll work out.

So……. who has the better year – Kershaw or Bumgarner?

As I recall, Wilson was hitting 94-96 last year pretty regularly. It is a long season, and maybe last night was just an aberration. But given Wilson’s history with TJ’s, there has to be a measure of concern. Certainly hope he’s not toast, but only time will tell us that. And if he is, I do believe that the Dodgers have the arms to compensate. Despite his rough outing in Australia, I ultimately think that Jose Dominguez can play an important role in the pen. I saw signs last year that he was getting better command of his secondary stuff, and hopefully with some work in the minors, he’ll return a more polished pitcher later in the season. And don’t forget Billingsley. I still think he can be an option in the pen given what I saw in 2007. And there are others.

And I agree with what Mark said about Puig. Rome wasn’t built in a day, but at least he showed some positive signs last night that he might be listening to the advice he’s getting.

And don’t base your judgments on what you see in isolated samples. Remember, you’re never as good as you look when you’re at your best, and you’re never as bad as you look when you’re at your worst.

And yes Roger, the Dodgers will have to face Cashner several more times this year. And the Padres will have to face Kershaw several times as well, not to mention Ryu. And guess what, Cashner is not the only tough pitcher the Dodgers will have to face multiple times this year. And may I add, Cashner as good as he is, will not go undefeated this year. Maybe some of those losses he gets will come at the hands of the Dodgers. In fact, if memory serves, both Hanley and Puig came close in the game to taking him deep. And he also managed to get Hanley in a bases loaded situation. Maybe next time Hanley will get him.

One other thing about Wilson. When we saw him last year it was later in the season, and the weather was probably warmer. Maybe Wislon needs some more time to get stretched out, and perhaps he’ll throw harder as the weather warms up.

I don’t know, I looked damn good at my best.

I thought Wilson’s stuff had a lot of movement on it. He can get away with 91 if he changes speeds and hits his spots. I do expect more speed as the season progresses.

16. jerry says:

i still dont beleive that the dodger made any kind of improvement.they just cant hit. gordon been working on the bunt all spring training ..and he pop the bunt up to first base.so did he learn any thing..i dont think so..

17. Pete M. says:

Badger Im digging how you sneaked in that ‘pletora’ on us…
    No full ST, a screwed up schedule to say the least and Armageedon at the Ravine already??? Please… Maybe a couple weeks before we get the chair ready…

Remember when Kemp did his Little League version of the slide step and his ankle did that 90 degree rollover? Yeah, of course you do. Well the Dodgers did a “you gonna believe what you see or what we tell you” on us. Most of us didn’t buy it. You don’t think they would pull another one of those on us do you? In reading about the teres muscle I saw that it is involved in shoulder rotation. Not one of the major players, but involved. You don’t think…… nah, it couldn’t be that.

Another good read:

Top ten pick that dropped because of intent to play football. Gave him more than twice as much as Kershaw got. Fastball tops out at 95 in high school. He should be ready any minute then.

Not sure we should believe anything these people tell us. We should just show up at the park and cheer. But jerseys and stuff. Pay for view on the tube. You know, just do what real fanatics do.

“Buy” jerseys.

btw, the article in espn that says the Dodgers will win 91 says the Rays will beat the Cardinals in the WS. Damn those Cardinals. They are always better than us!

Click Here to Leave a Reply