Everyone is busy considering who will make the Dodger’s 25 man roster this year, but that may be the wrong question. Will Figgins win a job? That’s not the question. What about Turner and Gordon as a 2B platoon? Not relevant. Will Alex Guerrero be anything close to a starter at 2B this year? Maybe… or not! Pederson this, Van Slyke that! Hummmm…Will Kemp be ready? When will they extend Hanley? THEY WON’T! It ain’t happening. Sure he’s MVP material. Sure, he could be awesome. Too much risk!
Here’s what is going to happen: Sooner than later, Hanley is going to be traded to the New York Yankees. He will immediately sign a 6 year deal for $200 million and move to shortstop with Derek Jeter moving to 2B to tutor Hanley his last year. I don’t know who all will be involved in the trade, but I guarantee catcher Gary Sanchez is part of it. The Dodgers aren’t going to give Hanley $200 million… nor should they – but he will get it! This makes perfect sense. This could be a 3 or 4 team deal and I think the Dodgers will look to restock the farm – Sanchez is a big step in that direction. The Dodgers need a future catcher and he could be an elite one.
The Dodgers have signed Arruebarrena for starting shortstop money. Alex Guerrero makes starter money at 2B and Dee Gordon is a possibility. The Dodgers may start the year with Hanley Ramirez at SS, but they could end it with Arrrrr at SS.
The Dodgers won’t do the deal unless Matt Kemp is healthy. By the way – Matt had better learn to tone it down a notch. Quit running with reckless abandon and don’t be such a thief (i.e., quit stealing so much – stay on the field).
The possibility exists that this could be the Dodgers lineup at the end of this season:
- Crawford LF
- Guerrero/Gordon 2B
- Kemp CF
- Gonzalez 1B
- Puig RF
- Uribe 3B
- Sanchez C
- Arruebarrena SS
Rants & Raves
- Corey Seager is an amazing prospect. I think he has a bright future, but I have no opinion as to where he will play – SS, 3B, 1B, LF – who knows? Right now, he’s a shortstop. Someone mentioned Billy Ashley in the same breath as Seager. Please. Not even relevant. Ashly NEVER hit like Seager at lower levels. All his power was induced by San Antonio and Albuquacky – all notorious for inflating power numbers. Lots of players who were good at San Antonio and Albq never amounted to anything. Look at the stats. Seager struggled the first month at Low A and then tore up the league as it’s youngest player until the end of the season. He struggled at High A for a short time, but never had a chance to finish. The kid is a hitter and may start at AA this year, even though he struggled at High A. He’s one of the elite prospects in baseball. Look it up…
- Gordon with a jack yesterday? That muscle-bound colossus! I don’t have a lot of hope for him and I hope I am really wrong about that!
- The DH is coming to the NL… soon! Right it down. I said, it meant it and I’m here to represent it!
- Play ball Wednesday!
- I feel bad for Danny Granger, but the Pacers got better. Danny is a class act.
- I felt good for Dale Jr., as maligned as a driver he has been for the past 5 years! Good for you, Junior!
- Andre Ethier is being shopped.
- Hey, didn’t you used to be Trayvon Robinson?