• You have to root for Chone Figgins after reading Bill Plunketts’s piece in the OC Register.
  • Did you see Clayton Kershaw’s Ping-Pong Charity Event?  http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/8010468/v30187131/clayton-kershaws-ping-pong-4-purpose-event
  • I will humbly proclaim that I can beat anyone there… except Clayton!  I have difficulty with lefties.  Especially ones as good as he is.  I can take the rest.  No lie!  At 60, I can still do it!
  • Matt Kemp should just be quiet and play.  If he’s the Kemp of old, he will play – no need to talk about it.
  • The rumors are heating up about Ethier to the BoSox.  Hopefully, he gets off to a huge start and the Dodgers can bargain from a position of strength!  I think one of the outfielders has to go… barring injury!
  • Another week and a half until the games start.  Boring!

harmsco-slide

If I am the GM, I do not trade one of the 4 outfielders — until I can see all 4 of them playing without pain or too much tape on their bodies.

Looks like Kemp will not even be ready by April 1. I still say, he has a big body frame to go full steam from home to second or first to third, etc. That will take some time.

2. jhallwally says:

I would dump Ethier in a heartbeat if the Red Sux would take his contract…. We should have something in the pipeline to fill in as a 4th outfielder…… Ethier is on the decline… And, can’t hit lefties… If you can unload him for anything, do it…..

Sorry Tru…

3. Idaho al says:

I agree that Either will probably be traded sometime this year. Pederson should be a capable replacement. I also agree that you should wait until you know the other three outfielders are healthy.

Maybe I’m the only one, but I liked how SVS looked last year. To me he’s a great 4th OF, and backup 1b to have on our team.

If Ethier looks good in spring, and Boston needs an OF, well then there’s an excellent way to improve our farm talent! Do it.

However, I do agree the smart thing is to see how far Kemp is from playing, as he likely won’t be ready till May.

5. Bobbie17 says:

I agree on Kemp. But it is media time, and they have to write about something. I think Kemp likes it too. He may be a bit “Hollywood.” If he can play, who cares? If he can’t, he should shut up. We can’t get rid of an outfielder until one of the young guns has some success at the higher level. SVL is ok, but not a starter on this team. He is the type of player who will probably be more successful with someone else, except no one else seems to want him. I like him as a sub.

6. HawkeyeDodger says:

Kemp said exactly what he should have said. I’m glad to hear that he is confident and determined to regain his old form. If people would have read the entire interview, he said that none of the outfielders look at themselves as 4th outfielders. Much to do about nothing.

7. Rob says:

If we can dump ethiers contract on Boston we should do it fast. Joc will be ready to fill that super sub role this year and can play CF. SVS has value in the outfield and can spell agon a bit.

8. Quasimodo says:

I don’t think ANY of them will say anything they’re not supposed to. I’m gonna bet that everything that leaves their mouths has been discussed before hand. IF anybody is traded it won’t appear as though Dodgers need to dump one who is disgruntled or unable to cut the mustard. Hopefully all the trade talk is just trade talk. I can’t call it.

I think if Pederson pulls a Puig in ST it will make trading Ethier that much easier. Trading him isn’t on my list, but he could bring back some serious talent in return. It’s my opinion Andre could hit .300 with 25 HR in the AL East. Boston is a good fit.

10. Quasimodo says:

Good point, Badger. And substantiated from what I read. But, Puig pulled a Puig last ST and it took injuries to force Dodgers to play that hand. I hope ANYONE who hits over .500 this ST we see make it. .500 says a lot.

.500 is rare air. I’m thinking .380 would make a serious impression. I wonder how many ABs they plan to give him and against who? Donnie needs to see to it he faces the aces.

12. HawkeyeDodger says:

Joc needs to show that he can hit lefties and the Dodgers will want him playing everyday not sitting on the bench. I would bet just about anything that he starts the season in the minors.

If Joc Pederson hits .600 in the spring, he’s probably still headed to ALBQ. Better to have good spring stats than bad ones, but spring stats don’t perfectly predict that a player is ready. Don’t remember what he hit in the spring last year, but didn’t Brian Barden tear it up for the Dodgers, at least early on. In fact, Jackie Bradley had a very hot spring last year for the Red Sox, and opened the season with Boston, only to fall on his face, and hit .189 in 95 at bats, and returned to Pawtucket where he hit .275. Still considered among Boston’s top prospects.

Despite Puig’s hot ST last year, I still take spring stats with a grain of salt.

I seriously doubt if Matt Kemp thought through what came out of his mouth. Nice guy I think, but a rocket scientist he is not. For now, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, and just consider that he was expressing his belief in himself that he’s not a 4th outfielder. And he isn’t. But hopefully he understands that starter that he is, he’s going to need some time off on occasion, and that he’s not ready for prime time just yet. And, of course, he said that Puig, Ethier and Crawford also weren’t 4th outfielders. I’m sure even Matt Kemp can do simple division, and realizes that 3 outfield spots divided by 4 starting outfielders yields a fraction, and not the number 1 (as in 1 complete outfield). But wait, I forgot, he’s not a rocket scientist.

Mark, you probably could beat me. I’m a lefty like Kershaw, but for some unknown reason I play ping pong righthanded. I must be a righthanded wannabe. Come to think of it, I’m also a righthanded mouse user.

As for trading any of our outfielders, that’s beginning to bore me. If it happens, it happens. If not, I have no problem opening the season with four 4th outfielders (SMILE!!!!!). If they’re worth anything, they’ll all seek to perform at their best to prove that they deserve to be starting everyday. Somehow, barring any injuries, I think it will all work out for the best.

What Kemp missed, I think, NO one is the 4th outfielder. But each game, 1 of the 4 sits at the beginning of the game. Then, later in that game, might pinch hit or replace one of the starting 3.

This gives rest during the season; it is a long season.
    This gives Donnie the chance to do righty-lefty match-ups.
    This gives the DH games against American League teams to really have a hitter in the Dodger lineup, and not Shumaker or Sellers or some bench player.

I think the Pederson situation is very different than the Barden situation.

Two of the outfielders are LH hitters. Makes match ups difficult. Since Pederson is also LH, that won’t change. The reason for possibly trading Ethier is strictly to dump a contract, pick up system depth, stroke Matt a Kemp and give Pederson 250 at bats in the Major Leagues.

In my estimation Kemp is just an idiot. STFU and do what you’re overpaid to do. You have no room to bark and the team should have zero tolerance with those that would upset harmony.

One more thing – we all know Kemp is not a “fourth” outfielder. No one said he was. There is no need for him to thump his chest and get an attitude about this. He hasn’t played a full year in a while now. His contract is for putting up the numbers he did the last time he played a full season. Do it again big mouth.

Click Here to Leave a Reply