Here’s the long and short of it:

The Dodgers don’t know if Josh Beckett will be healthy and they know that Chad Billingsley might not be healthy until May or June (although it could be earlier).  Paul Maholm could benefit from pitching at the Ravine and he usually pitches better at the start of the season rather than later in the season.

H’s guaranteed a million and a half, so if Beckett isn’t ready, Malholm is the answer until Beckett or Bills or Fife or even Magill (yes, Magill).  I guess you can’t have too many leftys and too many starters.  For the record, I say watch Ross Stripling if you are looking for a darkhorse.

By the way, here’s my TOP 10 DODGER PROSPECTS:

1. Corey Seager – Look for him next year
  2. Ross Stripling – #3 Stuff -watch him
  3. Julio Urias – He’s climbing fast
  4. Chris Anderson – Workhorse
  5. Onelki Garcia – Could make the club this year
  6. Matt Magill – Just needs to harness his control
  7. Joc Pederson – 4th OF Tops
  8. Scott Schebler – Higher upside than Pederson
  9. Alex Guerrero – I am only putting him here based on the amount of money he is being paid – I have no clue.
  10. Zach Lee – #5 at best

presidents-day-week-sale

Just recently got the Baseball America 2014 Prospect Handbook. For whatever it’s worth and without any comment here’s their top 31 Dodger prospects.

1. Joc Pederson – OF 2. Corey Seager – SS 3. Julio Urias – LHP 4. Zach Lee – RHP 5. Chris Anderson – RHP 6. Chris Withrow – RHP 7. Alexander Guerrero – 2B 8. Chris Reed – LHP 9. Onelki Garcia – LHP 10. Ross Stripling – RHP 11. Jose Dominguez – RHP 12. Tom Windle – LHP 13. Yimi Garcia – RHP 14. Cody Bellinger – 1B 15. Jacob Scavuzzo – OF 16. Matt Magill – RHP 17. Scott Schebler – OF 18. Justin Chigobu – 1B 19. Pedro Baez – RHP 20. Victor Gonzalez – LHP 21. Zach Bird – RHP 22. Jesmuel Valentin – 2B/SS 23. Ibandel Isabel – OF 24. Hector Nelo – RHP 25. Darnell Sweeney – SS/2B 26. Tyler Ogle – 1B/C 27. Jon Garcia – OF 28. Ariel Sandoval – OF 29. Victor Arano – RHP 30. Brandon Dixon – 3B 31. Miguel Rojas – SS

Overall they rank the Dodger farm system at #14, up from #19 last year. And they have this to say. “Dodgers’ big-spending in recent years has helped bulk up a farm system once starved by Frank McCourt’s miserly ways. A team that once spent almost nothing on international players has spent $100 million on Yasiel Puig, Hyun-Jin Ryu, and Alex Guerrero in past two years.”

For the record, they rank the D-Backs #13, down from #7 last year, and the midgets at #19, up from #28 last year.

What is the criteria for “top prodoect”? From what I have gleaned over the years the top prospects are all guys that are ready to step in and make a difference soon. Any kid that is still in A ball doesn’t make my list. How many players have we seen tear up that league only to disappear?

When Posey and Bumgarner were on that top prospects list they came up and made a difference right away. Who do the Dodgers have that can do that?

I got Guerrero as my top Dodger prospect followed by Pederson and Lee.

3. Rob says:

We have a few mystery spots in the lineup and rotation which I think makes the season exciting. Who will be the #5 guy or who will be playing 2nd base to start the season? Even the ??’s surrounding Kemps health has me on edge. I am ready to watch some spring training ball to hopefully see our young players step up.

4. Quasimodo says:

As I’ve already said over at LL, ‘the Dodgers got guns in their pockets and just don’t want to be caught with their pants around their ankles’. Not only is this insurance, its also a message that all will have to be on their toes this season. The fans aren’t the only ones with high expectations.

5. Bob says:

Badger When I type in here I have spellcheck! What is up with your PC?

I thought that Santana 2B (19) at Ogden would still be on the prospect list. Not surprised to see Baldwin gone. Glad to see some more infielders on the list this year.

6. Bob says:

Will young CC get fat while his 38 year old girl friend is pregnant with his kid like all good dads are supposed too? Wow she already has a 20 year old daughter. Maybe Kemp will date her this season.

Actually, Bob you’re correct. There is spell check. Misspell a word in this text box that I’m typing in now, and the word is underlined in red (just like in MS Word). In fact, when I typed “spellcheck” it was underlined in red. Guess it’s two words, like I changed it to above. Of course, it turns out that “spellcheck” and “spell check” are both correct. Can’t really trust spellcheck.

As for an edit capability, it can be done in this text box. I remember when I used to post at Tony Jackson’s blog with the LA Daily News, he used to have a preview button that acted much like an edit button. Doesn’t matter. I make mistakes that I pick up later, and so does everyone else. And when I see errors, I generally assume it’s a typo, especially when I notice that incorrect letters are next to the correct ones on the keyboard.

Maybe Santana is just a bit below #31 on the list I posted. Of course, these lists change all the time, and of course, there’s other lists besides BA. Some of the names on last year’s list disappeared, some moved up and some moved down. And of course, there were new names. These lists aren’t written in stone, and players who never make these lists sometimes find success at the MLB level. The list just provides some names to keep an eye on, but is anything but definitive.

Like I said in an earlier post, and Mark said above, Maholm is insurance. With Billingsley not expected back until June, Beckett’s status being questionable (whether the Dodgers admit it or not), and a desire not to rush any of the kids early in the season, it’s pretty clear that Maholm is simply another experienced arm to have around just in case. Who knows, if he does well early in the season, he could even become a trade chip.

The Night That Changed America. Yes, I remember it well.

Just read at Rumors that the Maholm contract could be a “bargain” for the Dodgers. I don’t see it that way. If he reaches all the incentives he makes 6.5 milyun dollars. Unless something highly unusual happens, he won’t likely have more than a .something WAR and with a career OPS+ under 100 I think it’s clear he is, at best, a very average ML starting pitcher. He might do a bit better pitching in the NL West, (and pitching for that Dodger lineup) but if he gets 25 starts and 150 innings I would be very surprised. Bills will be back by June and will get some. Beckett, if not dumped, might get a few, and I hope the Dodgers give Lee and Stripling, Fife and Magill, something to do in August and early September. It would be nice to keep Greinke and Kershaw rested for October.

9. Pete M. says:

The night that changed America??? Wasn’t that the Stones in Oct. 64 ??? We knew if it wasn’t Arroyo, it would be somebody. As LAD fans we are powerless over these decisions/insurance poilicies… I hope Beckett proves em wrong and Badger said, alot of exposure for the kids late in the season???

It will be a long season. Things happen along the way. Maybe all of those starters will have time in the spotlight.

That is ok, because some arms just tire easily.

Heck, Cardinal fans cannot wait till they face Kershaw again, they think they have Clayton figured out.

11. Quasimodo says:

Just now heard on MLBN that Becket has said he has NO current health issues and that he’s good for the show. I’m a bit medication hungover this morning and just getting my 1st sip of coffee, but good morning all!

12. Bob says:

Spring Training has officially begun. Everyone says they will be ready by Opening Day. Becket said he was treated great by the LAD last year. New Dodger management generally getting very good reviews. 2 new persons were hired to the physical training staff, who hopefully specialize in hamstrings. Several #5 starters are willing to pitch out of the bullpen (Because they want that WS ring?). And the Dodgers are picked to win the World Series. Hope springs eternal for the new season. Can’t wait for Spring to officially begin in about 6 weeks.

13. Bobbie17 says:

Just don’t stockpile these veterans so that the young guys are left out. At some point, some of these prospects have to produce at the highest level. Other than Puig, it has been awhile. It would be nice if one a year makes the big roster….and becomes a regular.

Like Roger said, “it will be a long season.” If the opportunity presents itself, the kids will get their chance. If not, they’re young enough to wait.

I’m not going to get thrilled by it, but at least the initial reports about Beckett are good. It’s interesting to hear that he had numbness and tingling for several years. He’s not all that old (34 this season), so maybe with the numbness and tingling gone, he’s still got the velocity to regain his old form, or at least something close to it. Again, I’m going to restrain myself from getting excited, but a Beckett anywhere near what he was at his best, would really be a boost to our rotation.

As for Billingsley, let him go slow and come back by mid-season. As crowded as our bullpen appears to be, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Billingsley could play an important role there, much like he did in 2007.

I’ll go back to what Roger said, it’s a long season. And we all know that you can never have enough good pitching. A strong and deep rotation, a strong and deep bullpen, and lots of offense are a formula for a rested pitching staff going into the post-season.

As the wise man said above, “This ownership group is about winning a championship.” By any means necessary.

15. Watford Dodger says:

If Beckett can get back to anywhere near his best then that is some rotation. The Pen is miles better than last year as well. The depth of pitching is great. It is the health of our key positional players that is key – mainly Hanley & Kemp. Keep them on the field with Puig & Gonzo & we won’t be far away in October.

Bob, as a guy who has been to Spring Training six times and spent considerable time walking around from 9 am to 9 pm (some days) — inside the clubhouses, practice fields, etc — those are great shots.

Thanks for the web site.

Looking at those pictures, there is one player that appears to be in much better shape than anyone else. It’s only pictures, but, I can’t wait to see him in person.

Mystery player? I am fine with who we have on the roster now. Get ‘em in shape and tee it up.

I believe that we Dodger fans and boosters — have said about all that can be said or hoped for — for the 2014 season.

We must now wait for injuries, any trades or signings — and the Spring Training reports, inter-squad games — for new information to stir us on.

Salaries are about done . . . camp has started . . . let the games begin.

Pete — maybe you need some quality time with your wife —- like explain to her what: the top of the rotation and the bottom of the rotation means. Give her the inside dope. And which is the Keystone base (she has 4 to pick from, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and home).

20. Pete M. says:

Roger, my wife is Vietnamese, arrived on USA soil in 92 after a year in prison for two botched midnight boat excursions… One year of elect. assy. line work, english classes and the rest is history… No sports in Cantho Vietnam… To this day doesn’t know the hot corner from American recipe… She attends ST with me and enjoys a few peanuts and maybe a mall run on our day of a night game and believe it or not, she loves Hooters in Peoria after a game and I reluctantly oblige!!! And, to her and all the LADodger Talk wifes and significant others Happy Valentine…

Click Here to Leave a Reply