I have tried to hang in there, but at the very least, I am going to have to take some time off.

I am content to read and not comment.

I don’t want to break up this community.

Do any of you want to take over as moderator and keep the site going?

E-mail me at mark@ladodgertalk.com

1. Watford Dodger says:

Mark – it is great that you have kept the site open and I really hope that somebody from here steps in to keep it going. Personally I don’t have enough knowledge of these things but I will 100% support anybody prepared to do us all a great service. I’m know we would all really appreciate anyone generous enough to give their time. Fingers crossed.

2. Quasimodo says:

I was the 1st poster this morning but it doesn’t appear. At any rate, I’m unqualified at all points to raise my hand. There’s more than just a couple here that are gifted with forming words enough to be the kind of help that Mark asks for. I don’t possess those gifts nor am I savvy enough with computer skills. Mark has been an XLNT fire starter and we’ll likely not see his match. But as the comments seem most often to take a course of their own, Mark is not really asking for a whole lot. If I had it, I’d happily give it. So someone please step up. This site makes Dodger games all the more fun.

3. Bobbie17 says:

Maybe this can be shared. I’m not interested, but with some imagination, a group can share. Throw out a subject, topic, etc and ask for comments. Maybe someone different each day. M,T,W,Th,F guys, all different. I doubt if anyone can devote the time, energy, and insight that Mark has, but someone to stir the pot and invite controversy is what is needed. Of course, with no obligation. Can quit at anytime. A lot of you people have takes on Dodger stuff. Throw it out and see what comes back.

I agree with B17. I think we all like chiming in on whatever post topic there is, and then the thread just goes along with more news coming in, or somebody going off of somebody else’s post.

It’s a dialogue, which means less pressure for the post creator.

5. Bob says:

Welcome to Bedrock. Did the Dodgers just sign Fred Flinstone AKA Vabba Dabba Doo as a backup infielder? Ok, for those that do not remember the distant connection, the 1981 prime time special “Wind-up Wilma” had the Dodgers as the team in Bedrock, Yes, earlier episodes had the Giants as the Bedrock team.

I will never be able to remember this new guy’s name.

6. Bob says:

Mark

A simple idea. Every M, W, F your IT guy could just post a baseball word, phrase or player’s name and let everyone run with it. Until the season starts bloggers could be encouraged to be more proactive and slowly write longer posts. Then when Spring Training is over, the blogger’s spring training period will also be over and maybe a few internally developed writers will feel comfortable enough to volunteer on Opening Day.

Not the right time for me. Mark knows why. Family stuff.

RU Bueno! You’re right Gonzo, he’s the guy I wanted. Just learn to get on at .333 and there is real value in this signing.

You can keep this going Mark. You read the paper every morning with your coffee. Just take a minute to throw some mud against the wall every other day and the team here will do the rest. AND, we’ll all buy an RO system from you just to make it worth your while. I already got mine.

We (all) have said many times here — the Dodgers depth in the minors to step in to major league shoes if needed — is not very good.

No 3B, real SS, 2B, nor 1B. Joc the only real outfielder, but without major league experience. A few pitchers, but no standout.

Lots of foreign signings of late — seem to be in the low minors.

This needs some work . . .

And Roger, it’s getting work. Plenty of work. Before the signing of Arruebarruena (I copied and pasted the name) I believe the Dodgers had signed 47 international players this year. This will take some time, since most of the those signings were teenagers who we won’t be seeing for a while. Within the next few years I am expecting the Dodgers farm system to be ranked among the best. Just remember, in 2011 the Dodgers ranked dead last among the 30 MLB teams in the amount of money spent on international talent. The McMiserly years are over. It will get nothing but better going forward.

I understand exactly where Mark is coming from. I have time for these occasional posts, where I really don’t have to put in a lot of time and effort. I’ve got too many things going on to make this a committed job.

All I think that’s necessary is what Badger suggested, for either Mark or even someone else, “to throw some mud against the wall every other day”, or even less often, and we’ll all do the rest. I don’t always base my post on the topic of the thread. I just use the latest thread as a place to comment on whatever comes to mind, or to respond to other posts. I think all that we need is a place to carry on a Dodger dialogue.

I already have an RO system. Got it before I knew about this site.

10. Gonzo says:

I was watching MLB TV and the ripple effect Jeter’s retirement will cause. Almost all the commentators said that Hanley’s price just went up since he will be the most coveted SS this offseason. If you read the LA times, he got treatment for his back and feels healthy. What a contract year does for health (looking at you Rafael Furcal).

Thoughts on the possibility of Hanley signing or possibly testing free agency?

Now that we’ve (almost) signed this Cuban ss, AND we have Guerrero, AND we have Saeger, does this mean we have insurance for Hanley?

This could give us leverage against overpaying Hanley too. You’d hope 1 of Hanley and Saeger is our 3b going forward. Either way, I guess stockpiling talent can’t hurt!

12. Watford Dodger says:

I too read that piece about Hanley’s health with great interest. Excellent news. Forget any new signings or who’s on the bench – a healthy Hanley is an MVP candidate. He loves it here – just had his first post season appearance – look at the smile & he says he wants to be like us – a Dodger for life! It will be interesting to see how much training Kemp can do as I think they’re gonna take it nice & slow. Joc might get a look.

Tough question on Hanley. Just turned 30. Going rate will be in vicinity of $20 + per year. Although Walter loves him, and rightfully so, I would hope 4/96 would work. Like I said, tough. What would you do?

I would give him 5 years with a tee am option. If Seager and Arruebaruenna (there will be a shortening of that) are the real deal we can move Hanley later. But keep him happy now.

Agree with Badger. As good a prospect as Seager is, and as good as Arrue (I get tired typing his full name, even pronouncing it) is reputed to be defensively, and as hopeful as I am about Guerrero and even Gordon, none of them is yet proven, and none will probably ever be what Hanley is. Nothing better than having an abundance of talent.

5 years takes him to 35, and everyone knows in the post steroid era that’s definitely far past prime. In fact, he may be a DH before that, in which case we can send him to Anaheim.

Click Here to Leave a Reply