Enter the Pirate!

Can he play?

Will he play?

Will he make the team?

I have no clue!

Chris Withrow and Paco Rodriguez could open the season in the minors.  That’s a damn shame!

presidents-day-week-sale

56 Responses to “Enter the Pirate!”

Today during espn 710 sports talk, Beto Duran was talking about our (almost) new signee, and said his nickname is Barbaro. Yes, Barbaro, like the horse

I think that nickname will likely stick around if he makes it.

Is he Rey Ordonez? Omar Vizquel? Cesar Izturis?

He’s Visquel. Hanley goes to third for a couple of years (maybe soon, maybe in ’15) and who knows, maybe Seager replaces AGon. Whatever, we are loading up with very good baseball players.

I like it!

3. RogerCraig says:

Sight unseen, he is the incarnation of the Babe.

Gulp!

4. Pgunn says:

Mark,
    You are so right. It would be a shame if Withrow and Paco stayed at ALQ. But this is what Ned does; load up the roster and forces his manager to make these decisions. The outfield is loaded, the bullpen is loaded and the rotation is loaded. Every stray player he can sign, he signs to the point of overkill.

It’s almost as if he expects guys to get hurt, so his roster moves will work out. But at the expense of younger players? You’ll never see Lee, Stripling and Pederson at this point.

He signs Guerrero, a shortstop, to play second; he’s trying to sign this guy who is a shortstop, but Seager is also a shortstop, who may have to play first or third. But they are trying to extend Hanley, who is the current shortstop and maybe move him.

Too many moving pieces…

Seager is 6’4″, weighs around 220 and isn’t done growing. I don’t see him as a SS and I doubt the Didgsrs do either. If Barbaro can hit a lick he will be the SS of the future. Hanley will be moving. Guerrero will hit his way on this club. The Dodgers are doing this the right way. They are building depth and they are doing with all ages, from 16 to 35. If Withrow and Paco are good enough they’ll play. If not? Well, that is actually a good thing.

• Pgunn says:

I’m not sure they are doing this the right way. If you have a number of closers in the bullpen, you really don’t need a designated closer, for example. But I don’t think Donnie will be thinking that way, So you have wasted opportunities, unless Ned can trade.

The Hanley/Seager/Barbaro/Guerrero situation doesn’t have to work itself out. There should be a clear path. To sign Guerrero for $28M, give him a new position and not know if he makes the team, tht doesn’t sound encouraging.

Badger, it seems that the Dodgers load up because they can. Then they have to scramble to get everything right. But it’s only my perception and it may not be correct.

6. Quasimodo says:

Being able to pick from a wide field far outweighs a forced plan B where plan B is the last choice. Less than a week ago, hell yesterday even, all we were hearing about was the giant infield holes Dodgers had. Its pretty clear that we are able to relax today with knowing there’s enough depth that things will work itself out. Now the question isn’t where will we get someone for our bench, but which one’s will win the bench spots, because the bench is here and they are in competition with one another.

Depth is a great thing in any sport. One thing that does seem to happen with the the Dodgers every year is a plethora of injuries. I don’t why that is, but it is. I’m willing to bet somebody from our bullpen, our infield, our outfield and our starting staff will be on the DL during the course of the year. I think it’s a safe bet that a Dodger will start the year on the DL. We don’t have a top 10 prospect kicking the door down. What the Dodgers are doing is rounding up young talent that wasn’t produced during the McRoach era. I like it. I would love to see them bury the West again and go into the playoffs rested and healthy. This is the year.

• Bob says:

Right On! Even Puig has a sore shoulder. Need a starting lineup with a WAR of 2 and backups with at least a WAR of zero. No player should be in more than 150 games and no starter should have more than 200 innings during the 2014 regular season. Just enter the World Series peaking at the right time and uninjured, if possible.

Good plan.

I have always favored a 6 man rotation at the end of the year – IF you have the starters to do it. We should have them. With an 11 game lead like we had, that would have been the time to rest our top 3 starters, don’t let them go more than 85 pitches in their starts, and give somebody like Stripling or Lee their debut. It can be done and a strong, confident manager can sell the idea. I like the 150 game ceiling idea for position players. Even less might be good for some our guys (Crawford, Kemp, Uribe, Gonzalez, Ramirez, Ellis are all candidates for 130 game seasons) Let everybody contribute. It’s my early opinion that the Dodgers are the only 90 win team in the West. We should target the playoffs for peaking and have a 100% healthy team at that time. Right now, we have a bunch of young guys that are going to be eager to prove they belong. Give them their chance. Find out who wants it and who can serve it up. It think by the break, we should know who in the minors will get the call up in late summer. I look forward to seeing Lee, Stripling, Pederson and Barbaro up by August and September.

The above situation means — guys, if you want to play, show us in Spring Training just what you have !!!! If any one of them hits, fields, plays baseball above the others and it shows . . . then they will find a place and work it out.

This has become a — no longer mail it in team. That is, just show up and write me in the lineup. With one or two exceptions: AGon and Ellis. They will play unless hurt.

On Hanley. I do not know his makeup or wishes. At about 30 years of age, and the Yankees most likely knocking at his door soon to become the Yankee SS for 4 or 5 years — DOES HE WANT THAT??? Or, does he really want to just stay in L.A. with the Dodgers???

But if HE does want the Yankees beginning next season — HE must be replaced in the line-up. His bat makes everyone better. Take him out and put in a .250 hitter with little power — and the entire Dodger production falls.

“entire Dodger production falls” –

That’s a possibility. But if everybody else is healthy we should still score. And I’m pretty sure Barbaro’s defense us going to make the pitching staff happy.

This team can win the division without anyone having an MVP year.

Saw this from ocbluefan on another site explaining to those who think all the Dodgers do is spend money trying to buy a championship:

“When I talk to people who don’t get what’s going on with the spending I use this analogy and then they get it. Imagine a high priced mint condition home that was eventually sold to a crack head who gutted the house by selling all the appliances, fixtures, trees and plants for his drug habit. The city makes him sell the property because it’s such a mess. The new owner’s plan is to invest a lot of money renovating the home to it’s mint condition so he can live there. The first year or two there will be expensive replacement costs, but after that the plan is to have the maintenance cost under the luxury tax.”

Perfect explanation. Me and Mrs mcNutsack were like crackheads and drove the beloved Dodgers into bankruptcy. That sad era is over. I love what I see now.

10. Quasimodo says:

There’s not even the slighted chance Yanks will get Hanley. Or for that matter, any team not named the Dodgers has zilch chance of employing HanRam anytime soon. There may be a ‘drama queen’ that resides inside of Hanley that now that he’s in his 30′s he may have exercised. I’m just glad Dodgers kept drama out of the mix with him.

11. Bobbie17 says:

Can’t have too many good players. Especially if you have the $. If he hits like Visquel, he will play. Spring Training will weed out the pitchers/bullpen. If you want to pitch for this team, you better make the most out of your ST innings. Missing bats is what they will be looking for. I hope Paco can still do this.

12. SpokaneBob says:

Anyone know who the pirate in the picture?

You would have had to be around in the fifties to know.

I like the idea of Puig leading off and Crawford /Ethier hitting second.
    Followed by Hanley, Kemp and Agon. Love the speed at the top. Plus leading off should help Puig become a more selective hitter.

Anyone know who the pirate in the picture?

Nope

Depth, depth, depth, …. Can’t have too much of it. No matter what we, the Dodgers or anyone else thinks about our any of our players, not everything will go according to any preconceived script. Maybe some of them will do exactly what we expect, and perhaps some will exceed our expectations, and, of course, there may be some who disappoint. Can’t hurt to have myriad options. And if there is a surplus, maybe some of it can used in a trade(s) to bring in talent in areas of need.

DEPTH, I love it.

15. Quasimodo says:

I don’t think its Wallace Berry. That’s what 1st came to mind. I only I’ve seen the face before.

sorry, no clue who the pirate is. Wayyy before my time

The Pirate in the picture is ROBERT NEWTON from the 1950 movie version of Treasure Island.

Roger, you beat me to it.

19. Quasimodo says:

I guess why wrongly Wallace Beery came to mind was both played the role of ‘Long John Silver’.

20. Bob says:

Badger

Very funny typo! When were you and Mrs. McNutsack crackheads together?

Thanks Bob. Yeah, that was a good one. Though I claim otherwise, I never met the woman. Don’t wish too either. It would take her about 2 minutes to clean me out. She’s a pro.

• Bob says:

I could not remember their names so I thought about whether I am getting old or just blocked out the memory. So I did a little research.

In case you lost touch with your old friend it appears that she has a winery in Napa that has a guest house. Just thought you might want to know that! Next time you are up there could you please picket the winery for the rest of us?

It appears that dirtbag gave $100 mil to Georgetown for their School of Public Policy, and maybe an attempt to purchase a ticket for heaven, is now named after him. Another reason for me to always root against Georgetown.

I know where that is Bob. I lived in Napa for 4 years and had a good friend who worked at Auberge. I ate there often. Jamie did pretty good for herself. To think those two bought the Dodgers nearly entirely with leverage, drove the organization into bankruptcy, then come out of it splitting a billion is disgusting. But that is how things are done in this country.

From the a Times:

“However, Puig also acknowledges he has to be more restrained on the field, admitting he has to be smarter on the bases and learn when to hit the cutoff man rather than throw directly to the plate from right field.”

Uh, WRONG!

Who is coaching this? The perfect throw to any base is a one hop strike the goes directly over the cut-off’s head. There will be those who say “yeah but if it’s the winning run” – as my college coach said – doesn’t matter. The perfect throw is the perfect throw and you cannot improve perfection. If you try to then what often happens is that ball ends up at the backstop or even out of play. Make the same throw every time – a one hop strike that your cut off can reach.

22. SpokaneBob says:

Roger, did you have to look it up or did you remember the film? I think it was a Disney movie and I am thinking it was about 1955 or 56. It was an exciting film for a 9 year old who could imagine being the kid chased by pirates. I may have never known the actors name, but I will never forget that face.

23. Bob says:

I feel sad for players like Nelson Cruz, Stephen Cruz, Kendrys Morales, Santana, and Jimmenez due to their inability to sign a contract by Valentine’s Day and the possibility of them sleeping on a small coach in their dog house just because the have a draft pick associated with them and their agent might be a little delusional about their worth. On the other hand, I am very happy with MLB and the direction that so many teams have apparently adopted regarding developing players from within and not giving up drat picks. Of course it could all just be about collusion.

So guys, just sign a one year contract and admit that your agent screwed up.

Small couch in a dog house? Why wouldn’t they be sleeping on the king sized
    Hastens mattress in one of their mansions?

I like what I’ve seen of Rizzo, which so far is a picture.

Spokane,

Robert Newton played Long John Silver in two movies. The 1950 Disney production of “Treasure Island”, and a 1954 production, “Long John Silver’s Return to Treasure Island”, which was also apparently released under the name “Long John Silver”.

Here’s a link on youtube.

Roger is smarter than me, so he probably didn’t have to do any research. I did.

Emilio Bonifacio is not coming to the Dodgers. He’ll be with the Cubs.

Can’t say I’m sad. I understand the value of his speed, and having him and Gordon off the bench would have given the Dodgers some pinch running depth. But I have questioned his value based on his less than stellar on-base ability.

Spoke and Brooklyn — that film was a favorite of mine in my early life. Must have seen it 4 or 5 times in the theater. They would bring it back every couple of years.

Then, when my kids were growing up, had the film on video for them.

Also, read the book, again, several years ago, and re-watched the movie.

Heck of a tale, lads.

So, it was in my thinking and processing . . . as soon as I saw the image Mark placed above. Arrrrrrrrrr !!!!

Roger, I think we always knew that you are a pirate at heart.

Come to think of it, shouldn’t you be rooting for that team in Pittsburgh. Given their location, I’m guessing they’re river pirates.

The Dodgers were owned by the worst kind of pirates.

Will those river Pirates ever win a pennant? Not until the rules change.

29. Quasimodo says:

One of the most enjoyable World Series was 79 Pirates defeating Oriels. Sadly it was the Pirates knocking out the Dodgers in the playoffs that season. Still, it was fun watching.

I have seen game in both old Forbes Field (about 15 games) then Three Rivers Stadium. Have not been to newer park.

Have a nice autrographed picture of Ralph Kiner.

31. Bob says:

Wow, Mark Mulder out for the year. Maybe Cappy will get a job with the Angels.

Bummer, but were the Angels counting on him? Cappy will find work somewhere. They all do.

I wonder what’s happnin in Glendale.

This new Dodger TV deal — they should be showing practice on days like this. The drills, batting cages, the intersquad games, etc.

Thousands of folks would watch.

the MLB.TV Spring Training Schedule just arrived online.

Dodgers play, Wed Feb 26 at 3:10 pm
    Thur Feb 27 at 3:05 pm
    all dates after that till . ..

March 17 no
    March 18 no
    March 19 no
    March 21 no

you can check the rest of the schedule . . .

But 11 days from now, TV Spring Training game.

This is Feb isn’t it?

35. Bob says:

Interesting scheduling of the games down under. 7PM Aussie time is 1 AM LA time. Why not have the games at 1 PM Aussie time and 7PM LA time?

Also, although the games are March 22-23 in Australia, they’ll both be seen in the U.S. on March 22, at 1 am and 7 pm PST. Almost like a doubleheader. Guess I’ll have to brush up on my knowledge of the international dateline.

37. Whitbeck says:

Hi there, Tidy write-up. It has an situation with all your site with web internet explorer, could click here? Web browser ‘s still the market industry key along with a large aspect of people will omit your own excellent creating for this reason difficulty.

1. [...] Enter the Pirate! I can’t even spell Erisbel Arruebarruena, let alone pronounce it!  Therefore, I shall now refer to him as “The Pirate” – You know Arrrrr… Can he play? Will he play? Will he make the team? I have no clue! I have no clue if Guerrero will make the team.  Dee Gordon looks like Mr. Universe! [...]… [...]