Blog Overload!

The past 10 days have been interesting around the Dodger Blogosphere.  Sites have folded, merged and are under new authorship.  Some sites are begging for money to go to Camelback Ranch.  To me, that just seems wrong, but hey, I’m weird like that.  However, to each his own.

Some of the stuff I read is mind-numbing.  So, the Dodgers sign Trayvon Robinson to a minor league deal – EVERY BLOG and I mean EVERY BLOG has a huge post about Travyan “Freaking” Robinson or Chone “Freaking” Figgins.  A few years ago, lots of us thought Robinson and Jerry Sands would make up 2/3 of the Dodger outfield for the next ten years.  There’s about a dozen posts on this ad nauseam.  After skimming them, they could have saved so many words by just saying this:

“A lot of us thought Trayvon Robinson would be a wonderful player.  He’s not.  The Dodgers picked him from the scrap heap and one of three things will happen:  (1) He will be the same player; (2) He will be a better player; or (3) He will be a worse player.  Wish him luck and let’s see what happens.”

Most could have saved a lot of words about nothing,  Same thing with Chone Figgins.  Can he make the team?  Who know?  Not likely, but you never know.  Leave it at that.

On December 1, 2009, I wrote this about Sands and others:

Ivan DeJesus, Jr.?  Not enough pop to justify his lack of speed.  Forget him as a starter at 2B, and he’s certainly not a starting SS.  Utilityman is the best he will be.

Trayvon Robinson?  4th Outfielder, although he could possibly play LF, if we needed a leadoff hitter, but Gordon should fill that role in two years, so Robinson looks like a 4th outfielder to me.

Xavier Paul?  This guy could surprise – if there’s a sleeper here, it is the X-Man!

Lucas May?  He’s not that good as a Catcher and his bat is probably less than Martins.  That doesn’t bode well for him.

Kyle Russell?  He’ll need at least three more years.  He’s too far away to project anything, although he has crazy power.

Pedro Baez?  He’ll be on the mound before the season is over!  He can’t hit, but he has a cannon on his shoulder.

Scott Van Slyke?  He had a nice year, but let’s see him do it at a higher level, then I might say he’s a prospect, but right now, he’s not!

Brian Cavazos-Galvez?  Jonathan Garcia?  Steven Caseres?   Gorman Erickson?  Too early.  Way too early to even predict, but I lean towards NO!  Don’t get excited.

Jerry Sands?  Career AA Player!

Tony Delmonico?  Not as a Catcher, well he doesn’t look like a Catcher.  He has a bat that could be good.  Can he play 2B?

Austin Gallagher?  Ha!

Nick Buss?  Probably not!  No, NOT!

Preston Mattingly?  Please!

AJ Ellis?  Sub, probably a #3

Jamie Hoffman?  5th or 7th OF.

I missed on a few, but not many.  I look at the stats but I don’t rely on them, like many of the Blogs.  There’s a new blog out there called DodgersDigest and I read it everyday.  Mike Petriello, Dustin Nosler and Daniel Brim are fine writers.  I have it marked as Mandatory Reading, but one word of caution:  Don’t read the comments – you will be stupider for it.  I made the mistake of reading the comments once (about 900) and lost 3 points on my IQ – and you all know I cannot afford that!

But then there’s this:  Is There any Hope For Chris Perez or Brandon League?  Daniel Brim writes an eloquent and well-reasoned blog about nothing. It is my opinion that he measures nothing with great accuracy.  I feel bad saying this, because he obviously spent a lot of time on it, but in the end, the answer is “Maybe or Maybe not!”  I am not a trained writer like these guys – just a hick from Indiana – so if they want to point out my writing deficiencies, so be it.   I just call it the way I see it.  Agree or Disagree – that’s what I do.  I’m a fan of Seth Godin and love what he wrote here:

Measuring nothing (with great accuracy)

The weight of a television set has nothing at all to do with the clarity of its picture. Even if you measure to a tenth of a gram, this precise data is useless.

Some people measure stereo equipment using fancy charts and graphs, even though the charts and graphs say little or nothing about how it actually sounds.

A person’s Klout score or the number of Twitter followers she has probably doesn’t have a lot to do with how much influence she actually has, even if you measure it quite carefully.

You can’t tell if a book is any good by the number of words it contains, even though it’s quite easy and direct to measure this.

We keep coming up with new things to measure (like processor speed, heat output, column inches) but it’s pretty rare that those measurements are actually a proxy for the impact or quality we care about. It takes a lot of guts to stop measuring things that are measurable, and even more guts to create things that don’t measure well by conventional means.

What I will say is use your eyes:  I saw Brandon League and he was pretty bad, so was Chris Perez – it is what you see, not what a bunch of nothing stats say…. although stats do have their place.

Dodger Notes:

• Now that I have pissed off half the Dodger Blogosphere, I will say that I am glad the Dodgers didn’t get Tanaka, as the luxury tax is going to be bad enough anyway and I see Tanaka as a #3.  Just my opinion.
  • Forget Arroyo – Beckett, Fife or Billingsley and maybe even Lee or Stripling or Anderson are in-house solutions.  No to Arroyo!
  • It has been suggested that we keep politics off this site and I will enforce it.  I can block anyone I want – notice OD hasn’t been back?  Keep it on the Dodgers and sports.
  • P.S. I am returning all the money you guys sent me to go to Camelback Ranch.  I won’t be there this year.

airmax

58 Responses to “Blog Overload!”

1. Mathematical-Space Cat says:

Daily Dodgers isn’t a site, but Dodgers Digest is.

2. Concerned Reader says:

Did you ever manage to get your Karate lessons? Hope you’re doing well.

3. the truth hurts says:

Great post Mark. The stat geek postings are daunting, boring and lame.

People do not use COMMON SENSE anymore.

Use your eyes, not calculators.

The 900 comments on DD is the reason I don’t comment there or read them. That is actually what makes this blog the best in my humble opinion.

Your eyes can fool you if you are just seeing a small sample. I’ll give you an example:

Daily Dodgers

Now when you first look at that you may think “this magoon doesn’t know his ass from a biscuit”, but that wouldn’t be accurate. Just a bad moment. You can’t say “I saw this guy once and he sucks”. You can say you saw him once and he had a bad moment.

League still has a good arm. Can he put it back together? Hope so. We’re going to be paying him. FedX can’t hit and probably never will. His career body of work leads me to believe that. If the Dodgers sign a guy like Arroyo it tells me they don’t think much of their best young prospects and don’t trust Beckett. Signing Cubans can be a good plan. Not much else out from which to choose.

5. You’re entitled to your opinion, even if it’s painstakingly wrong.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Dustin,

I thought opinions were a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter. I thought they weren\’t facts and that we could all have our own opinions, but I will try and march with the rank and file. Pass the Kool-Aid! I\’ll try and remember that only your opinion counts.

6. Quasimodo says:

LOL, Mark. You mean I can’t talk my ‘Its wrong on all political fronts’, shit? Just as well. I guess its always a good way to screw up my cheerful demeanor. I’m sure I expose myself as being not the brightest beacon here when I throw my worthless two cents in on whatever issues that stray from baseball, but that’s what friends do. Its the only way you all can get to know me. I hope I haven’t said things that would get kicked out of this community as all that come here I’d be happy to tip a beer or two with. It’d be great to argue in person with anyone here. Cheers!

You didn’t Quas. Some people offer nothing then complain about content. Some folks just have thin skins. Like Dustin apparently. But Mark is right about the comment section there. About every 15th post has relevancy. The rest is daffy. Those guys have known each other a long time. It’s kind of like frat dribble. You gotta be in with in crowd or they’ll skewer you. But the writing itself is good over there.

7. Quasimodo says:

Dustin, I really like the way you write and I’ll even bet everyone here shares the same opinion. Same with your partner writers. Actually Mike tops the bill as the very best. So please share with us what your opinion is on the comments at your new launch. I guess there’s something good about the comments as a whole as you sure have the traffic and that traffic is there like 24/7. I sometimes stab a comment there and read a couple replies and move on. I will say to you that I’m glad Marks site didn’t get the runaway traffic that fallowed from MSTI to DD, because, well, I love it here. DD has a very great team of writers and to that congrats! But 85%+ of the comments feel too silly.

Quas, if Mark kicks you off this site, I’m leaving, i.e., if he doesn’t kick me off first. SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was hoping the Dodgers would get Tanaka, but wasn’t upset when they didn’t bite and overbid. The money not spent can likely be put to better use in multiple areas. As for Arroyo, as I’ve noted above, if the Dodgers want to sign him to a short term deal, I’m OK with it. But really, I see no urgent need to bring him aboard. Probably can find a #5 from amongst Beckett, Billingsley, Fife, and the kids. Besides, whoever opens the season as our #5 may not remain there. Things have a way of changing as the season progresses. There could even be a trade in the works between now and whenever.

Figgins and Robinson are nothing more than NRI’s. If Figgins can find some of what he’s seemingly lost maybe he can be a plus in a part-time role. I’m not holding my breath, but I wouldn’t discount what he might bring, just like I’m not excited by it either. Robinson, I never thought he was going to amount to much before he went to Seattle. He has about as much chance of sticking with the Dodgers (at least at the MLB level) as a snowball has of thriving in hell.

Fixed the name to Dodgers Digest – sorry! I had the link right.

Why am I back?

Because I can!

You would think I called someone a dirty-rotten scoundrel when I actually praised the writing at Dodgers Digest. I didn’t attack anyone personally. I am pleased that they actually read this blog – something they will deny!

12. N1120A says:

Did you really say the Dodgers should trade Clayton Kershaw? Wow

13. Watford Dodger says:

For the record I have always enjoyed Dustin’s writing and always read the other sites with great interest but never comment because as Badger so well describes – it’s more if a Frat feel which is absolutely fine except I’m way too old for it. We have our own banter in here and manage to self manage things pretty well.

I do however agree with Mark about the painstakingly put together piece by Daniel Brim. I read it but afterwards was none the wiser.

Dustin – I hope you post regularly here as you would be most welcome.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Watford,

Dustin is a good writer, but thinks I am too harsh, but then he tries to tell me what my opinion should be. ;)

Go figure!

14. Watford Dodger says:

Lots of good writers. Dustin is sticking up for his pal & his site as you would yours Mark.
    Anyway your comments seem to have stirred up some new posters in here!
    Keep up the good work.

15. Jae says:

You have the guys at Daily Dodgers with their panties in a bunch. They think because they have analyzed something until they are paralyzed (I got that from you), that their opinion is the only one that counts. I read the site and most blogs are good, but the one you are ragging on was so obtuse! They just need to chill. I love it – keep it up Mark!

16. RogerCraig says:

Excuse my language, but Daily Dodgers is just a circle-jerk with teenage boys. However, I do enjoy Mike Petriello and his posts.

17. Lobo says:

Excuse me, we are all mature posters over 30

18. DodgerDude says:

I read the comments… Maybe over 13!

19. DodgerDude says:

BTW, at the other site they have about 4 commenters who each comment 200 times a day which is why the comments are nonsense.

20. Quasimodo says:

I just want my $ back if you’re not gonna use it for the trip to Glendale!

21. Quasimodo says:

Please disregard my comment above, I thought I was elsewhere.

22. No NFL in LA says:

Hey New Jersey. Hey New York. Stop squabbling about the game. Yeah the NFL effed up picking your local(s) for the big game. You folks should have built indoor stadiums anyways. In the meantime, why not get together, combine your states and choose a new name. I got one for youz guyz. How about NEW JERK!

They are talking about Mark over at MSTIDD? How would you know? I just looked and there are over 800 posts on today’s thread and they are currently entertaining each other, or maybe themselves, with Grammy jabber. They do seem to enjoy each other’s company so, who cares? I just read the thread and move on.

I’m with you Badger. Haven’t looked at posts over there or its predecessor MSTI in quite a while. After skimming over a few posts I gave up and came back over here. If I actually waded through all 855 posts I’d be a candidate for the funny farm. I write some pretty long posts. Can’t imagine they’d go over very well over there.

25. Quasimodo says:

I am probably alone in that I’m looking forward to seeing how Figgins will do. And its not only about getting closer to the season opening. He knows this is likely his last chance and that he got lucky to land with Dodgers. Him not wanting to go out as a fizzle could mean something. If he really feels he has unfinished business then it could be great to get a look-see. His old self could fit in very good.

The way i look at it, it would be a good thing if he made the team. That means he was the best utility dude in ST.

Agree Brooklyn. Not our cup over there. I did find what they said about Mark. Very disrespectful. But I’m sure he doesn’t give a rat’s ass what they think.

26. Dumb Badger says:

I’m glad a boring blog with stupid-as-fuck opinions and an idiot mod is your cup of tea. No wonder Mark had to write a controversial opinion to rile people up just so he can generate some traffic to his own pathetic site.

27. the truth hurts says:

^ This might be the reason the majority of us do not read the comments on DD. “Stupid-as-fuck”, I mean look what we’re missing? Great character over there.

They say the truth hurts and when people get hurt, they lash out.

Classic Example!

Even Ray Charles can see what is going on here.

Yep. That’s the level of intellect exhibited on that site. Hopefully this dies down and we can just move on.

The idiot lives in Berkley just off University!

31. Jae says:

Pathetic little trolls!

32. Dumb Badger says:

ohhh damn I am a Giants fan! You got me…

33. Bball says:

Wow. I personally no that I am a dumbass commenter but I have looked at the other blogs and they truly don’t compare to this site. I love this place and look at least 10 times a day. I really can’t stand the other blogs. Keep doing what ur doing Mark. The people talking shit you really don’t want around anyway. Keep up the good work and block the dumbasses you’ve attracted by ur honesty

34. Gionfriddo says:

The posts on that site are on their best days pathetic in nature—this clowns’ vaunted vocabulary reinforces that.
    Keep up the good work, Mark…..

35. Quasimodo says:

Wow, I guess a monster came into creation today. 01/26/2014

36. N1120A says:

Keep up calling people dumbasses when they call put his poor analysis?

37. Bball says:

Huh. What was that dumbass

38. Bob says:

The Dodgers should be in on all free agents if only to drive up their prices and increase the ability of the Dodgers to sign more international players and be able to afford to make trades in the summer better than other teams who over spent in the off season.

Young – A $3 mil base plus $1 mil for each 40 games started should be a good contract for him and the union considering the player’s union does not want any player to have a significant pay cut from one year to the next.

Maybe the people from that other website are trying to make a name for themselves by creating new phrases or redefining old phrases like “Have a good day” by Bon Jovi, or “Wonderful to meet you” by the germaphobes, thus their poor grammar might be intentional.

39. Jae says:

Bob,

That’s probably right. Their poor grammar has to be intentional and all the attacks here have to be just pretend. Nobody could be that stupid, right?

Right?

I don’t know why a couple of them are so pissed they would go out of their way to show up here and act so juvenile but that’s who many of them are. Reading about 10 of the now 1400 posts tells you all you need to know. The blog writers are good. I can recommend reading that. The rest of it is children at recess. Let them have their fun.

Chone Figgins was really good right up to the year he wasn’t. He turned 33 and the wheels came off. Anybody know why? Maybe I’ll research that later. If it was mental, perhaps he can get it back.

I believe most of us would be fine going into ST with the pitchers we have. Personally I think it would be a good thing to let everyone know the #5 is up for grabs. That would create some serious competition. They sign a FA and a completely different message is sent.

I’ve commented each soring how our ‘best” prospect list changes year to year, even though many of the same guys are on it. Paco didn’t last long there, coming up quickly, but he was a college arm. Seager might be our best for a while. Not sure about Lee any more. For a guy that was touted as a “top 10″ pick, his star has faded somewhat. This is the year for him to show he is ML ready. If not, he might consider LSU again before it’s too late. 2 years there and he could be NFL ready.

Did read an article that said Figgins did not like Seattle. Maybe the sunshine and Southern Cal air will help him turn it around.

42. Pete M. says:

Mark I’m glad you’re hangin in…
    I’m also glad there are other sites and other blog guys to catch a tid-bit here and there about my Blue. Is any of this stuff fact based??? Maybe some. But damned if it don’t entertain me…

43. Pete M. says:

Mark I’m glad you’re hangin in…
    I’m also glad there are other sites and other blog guys to catch a tid-bit here and there about my Blue. Is any of this stuff fact based??? Maybe some. But damned if it doesn’t entertain me…
    As my reading ends I end up at LADT to comment occasionaly… As I said before the folks here stick with general theme and thats Dodger baseball…Today, God willing, the trolls and clowns will go back to thier blogs and continue with their mindless diatribe…
    Badger lets give a chance to Lee. It is going to be hopefully a helluva showcasea at Camelback…

44. jhallwally says:

OUTSTANDING POST!!!!!!!!!!

I wish you could take Nedcompoops place…. At least you get it.. He doesn’t have a clue…..

45. Pete M. says:

Had a lil hiccup on mine…
    Has anyone ever mentioned p.e.d.s. with Figgins or is it like pitchers who get a pass???
    I mean this kid could play with the Angels!!!

46. Bobbie17 says:

Which site do you think is the “go to” now? I don’t want to read them all. Are any of them as easy to post comments on as this one? Let me know. Mark what are your thoughts on this? I have not been impressed with DD.

The blog posts are outstanding at DD – even the arcane ones. It\’s a great site – It\’s just the inmates that run the posting asylum, are moronic.

I\’m sure I\’ll pay for that one too! ;)

48. Pete M. says:

Mark I’m all in on that one… The Go To is definetely LADT… I dont usually have to spend an inordinate time to sift thru the crapola to get to something relating to baseball/sports…