The future is now!

I hope the Dodgers are done in the free agent market and with all trades.  They are set.  It’s not an ideal lineup, but what lineup is?  Those of you who want an All-Star at every position are either Closet Yankee Fans or delusional.  It ain’t happening.  Guggs and Company has money, but they have to show a nice profit for their shareholders.  Trades and Free Agents are not the way to do it.  If they get stuck with the luxury tax, it will really rile their shareholders – that’s a bad thing to do to shareholders.  They can bring you down… there are lots of precedents.  Look it up!

I like the fact that the Dodgers are not continuing to spend indiscriminately and seem to be loathe to give up prospects or draft picks.  That is a good thing!

They don’t need Ricky Nolasco, Mark Ellis, Nick Punto, Skip Schumaker, Ronald Belisario or for that matter, Carlos Marmol, J.P. Howell or any other high-priced free agents when they already have a plethora of those.

I think the Dodgers have more than enough to win… if healthy.  Here’s the lineup:

1. Crawford  LF
  2. Ramirez  SS
  3. Kemp  CF
  4. Gonzalez  1B
  5. Puig  RF
  6. Uribe  3B
  7. Guerrero  2B
  8. Ellis  C

On the bench is Ethier (or Crawford or Kemp), Van Slyke (cut him some slack – he’s a nice role player), Fed-Ex, Sellers (super defensive sub),  maybe Gordon (I have little confidence)  or Pederson.  Forget Micheal Young – Young Hungry Guys is what we need!

I am still worried that Clayton Kershaw wants to go to Texas, but we have him at least another year.  The Dodgers don’t need more starters – they have plenty of options:

• Kershaw
  • Greinke
  • Ryu
  • Haren
  • Beckett
  • Billingsley
  • Fife
  • Magill
  • Stripling
  • Lee
  • Reed

Of course, we have no idea how Guerrero will do, but the fact that the Dodgers thought enough to pay him what they did, tells me they have a lot of confidence in him.  We will have to wait and see.  Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu and Haren are excellent 1-4.  Surely the Dodgers can get one more starter out of the rest.

Stay done.  Stand down.  Take this team to the Spring.  The team is set.  Don’t get greedy and don’t screw it up.

holiday-sale-systems_2

101 Responses to “The future is now!”

1. Quasimodo says:

Hi, Mark, Got to agree with you nearly all the way there. Well actually all the way, but you know how I felt about M.Ellis. It really is easy to see how this team will start the season, IF they make through ST healthy. I really an looking forward to Billingsly’s return, I’m hearing he might make camp G2G. If Howell doesn’t return it carries the possibility that Rodriguez may face too heavy a workload again-if that was what the real problem was. Good to see ya here!

It\’s going to be a few weeks until the forum changes, so I\’ll drop in now and again. Peace to you all and Peace on Kevin!

3. Bob says:

Looks like Howell will be back in a few days at a semi-reasonable price. Still need some low priced infielders so that the young hungry guys can play every day at AAA and be ready to play full time in the Show if a starter is injured.

4. Bob says:

Josh Bell returns. Was he another over hyped Logan White draft pick or another under developed player in the nonexistent player development department.

Looks like Howell is returning.

I have mixed feelings about that one. In part his return is welcome, since leaving the lefthanded relief role solely to the young Paco could lead to his being overworked again this year. I have hope that some of our young lefthanded relief guys like Onelki Garcia, Tom Windle, and even Chris Reed (who could eventually return to the bullpen where he pitched at Stanford) might be able to contribute this year. However, they all to some degree have command issues, which could disappear in an instant or just continue to linger on. No way to know. Howell with two years (maybe three) with an average annual salary of about $6 million, is probably justifiable insurance, especially given the current market for experienced lefthanded relief pitchers.

I definitely agree that the Dodgers will not spend indiscriminately, but I’m not sure that their spending up until now could be characterized as such. It seems to me that the spending was designed to put them back on the map while they embarked on a plan to re-build the farm system, and make player development the centerpiece of this organization. And put them back on the map it has, especially given the 3.7 million MLB leading attendance in 2013 that promises to reach 4 million in 2014 and beyond. Not to mention the advancement to the LCS, that with a little health could have gotten them to the World Series. Those things are worth dollars, and contribute mightily to the bottom line. I know that as a shareholder I would be very comfortable with targeted spending that promised to fortify the bottom line in years to come. The new RSN kicks in this year, not to mention the new MLB TV contract that is bringing every team an additional $25 million this year, and I don’t know what in the years ahead.

I commented at the end of the last thread on Badger’s question regarding Jimmy Rollins. Since people probably have a tendency to go directly to the new thread, here it is again.

Jimmy Rollins?????? Maybe. It would depend on a number of things.

1. Would the Dodgers be willing to pay $11 million this year, and more later (see the link below) for what would essentially be a part-time, backup role?

2. Would Rollins agree to waive his no-trade clause to take on such a role if he truly wants to be with a strong contender?
    Rollins just recently turned 35, so he’s probably not exactly ready to be put out to pasture, and might, in fact, thrive in a part-time role. He’s certainly the backup infielder I’ve spoken about before, i.e., someone who can fill-in all around the infield, which is what Mark Ellis was lacking.

If the Dodgers didn’t have to surrender anything much to get him, it’s fine with me. He could well turn out to be the perfect backup.

Bob,

I hope your were referring the past when referring to the “nonexistent player development department.” Since taking over the McCourt neglected Dodgers player development department, Guggs has, to my knowledge, doubled the scouting staff and brought in several experienced and well-respected player development executives. How else would you explain Yasiel Puig, probably just the first manifestation of a revived farm system? And there was also Hyun-Jin Ryu. And it’s why Baseball America used this title in their recent rundown of the Dodgers top 10 prospects. “Proper evaluations spur revival.”

The Dodgers farm system is probably still wanting overall, but it contains some very good prospects, and there promises to be more in the years to come.

7. William says:

You’ve got a big question mark at 2nd base. I have no idea what Guerrero will do. If he is not that good, we have no legitimate backup. At short, Ramirez is a great hitter, but he has to stay healthy, which is a problem for him. At 3rd, we have another hole, unless Uribe just signed and I missed it. You always risk Uribe going back to his awfulness of the two preceding years.

The Dodgers ownership appears to feel that they spent too much, and now they are going to sit with what they have. Problem is, it is not enough, not to win a title. Well, maybe if Kemp came back and put up numbers like three years ago, which is highly unlikely. Ethier is about through as a player. Crawford always gets hurt, too. The starting pitching is solid enough, but they still lack a reliable fifth starter. I hope Haren has a big year, and Ryu shows that last year was a legitimate one.

If the Dodgers really want to win titles, they have to finish the job, and put together a roster of great talent, including some younger, less chronically injured players. I don’t think that this group is going to be better than last year, given that Puig is the only player we have who figures to be on an ascending career arc. The Dodgers are making a fortune,and they raised ticket prices. So put together a really strong team, rather than mostly stand pat with what was ultimately not good enough to win the championship last year, and is likely to finish a few games worse than that this season.

• Quasimodo says:

Wow, I seriously do not share your view that the Dodgers will not win the Pennant. And where have you been? Uribe IS signed with the Dodgers. And not improved? This team WILL win more than 100 games. I’ll stand even further…Dodgers will be leading the division by May and never look back! Will have the best record not only in the NL, but in all of baseball. There’s a couple or three or four players that Cardinals were lucky they didn’t have to face. 2014 IS all about the Dodgers!

Looks like a decision re: Tanaka is imminent.

I’m in the “I don’t give a damn stage” stage, but I imagine I might get excited if he actually ended up with the Dodgers. Not holding my breath, and not even convinced the Dodgers would win the bidding if he was posted. Lot’s of well-heeled teams will likely be in on this, and recent reports (if they can be believed) have the Dodgers lukewarm on Tanaka.

• Quasimodo says:

Lol Brook, I have to agree that it may come easy to embrace Dodgers winning the Tanaka sweepstakes. It could happen but I’m seeing it more and more unlikely. But all’s good.

9. Quasimodo says:

Done deal! Howell is resigned.

10. Watford Dodger says:

William I agree with most of the point you make. Not quite good enough last year plus the Cards definately got better. Don’t get me wrong we are strong but all our assumptions about next season are really based on the health of Hanley & Kemp who also needs a return to form. Not sure we have improved anywhere else and 100 wins seems optimistic to me. The D’backs are also quietly improving. Rollins would be a great utility guy but not sure his ego would allow it.

11. Quasimodo says:

Really? 2014 starts with a healthy Ramirez and I don’t think Greinke will enter with a broken collar bone and I sure do not believe the bullpen will start the season blowing games like last year. It also starts without Cruz at 3B. If 2013 had gone as such 100 games would of been on the short side. Even more, Puig will be here the whole season. Maybe I am optimistic, but I see these things as good reason to be.

12. Rob says:

The dodgers will go as far as their health will. A healthy team equals over 100 wins but we will see. I still hope they try to get Tanaka because it sounds like the Dbags are also in the mix for him.

“The future is now.”

Yeah, I agree with that. Which is why I am looking at expensive ways to add depth to this squad. Cots has Rollins at 11M with an option. He played 160 games last year, which is more than any Dodger. He won’t be 36 until after the season is over. He is still a presence, and he could solve our 3b problem.

I think the key to this team is a healthy Kemp. If he is determined to be a part of this, his bat in the middle of this lineup makes EVERYBODY better. If he can’t do it, added pressure to Ramirez and Gonzalez could stress the production.

I like this team. And there is always the deadline. This IS the team to make it happen. And you can bet ownership is going to do everything they can to get it done. 4 million bis this year? New TV deal coming up….. this is going to be very exciting.

My confidence level remains high.

oops

I guess we don’t have a 3b problem anymore.

It’s early.

Unless of course Uribe gives us what he gave us the first 2/3 of his last contract. Then, left side depth would be very beneficial.

Or, Guerrero can’t hit ML pitching. Then infield experience would be crucial.

Depth. Depth in the pool allows one to not hit bottom.

15. Jae says:

William said this:

“Well, I seriously doubt that the Dodgers will win the NL pennant with this group. The Cardinals improved, and they were better last year.”

How did they improve, Dude? They lost Beltran (Huge loss) and signed Mark, Jhonny Peralta, Peter Bourjos, Randal Grichuk and Angel Castro. Molina will be 32 next year and likely will start to drop off.

The Dodgers will get Kemp and Ramirez back, neither was a factor in the NLCS and Ethier was injured.

Do you really believe that the Cards are better when the Dodgers have Kemp, Ethier and Ramirez?

16. mjrod55 says:

Brooklyn’s view on Rollins is interesting… I just don’t see him being unless he’s a starter. It could happen with Guerrero not being quite ready for the bigs yet. I wonder about Rollins hitting in Dodger stadium though.

17. Bobbie17 says:

On paper this team is as good as the other Division rivals. Health and desire will probably determine if Blue repeats. I don’t like that Kemp is going Hollywood again. The last time he did that was with Rhianna?, and his season was a disaster. He doesn’t play well with women on his mind, I guess. This goes to the “desire” part; you can’t expect to get the Puig “bump” of last year. This team will have to supply its own mojo; it will not come from a call-up. This is where the reserves are most important, and we have lost all of them. I still like Michael Young as a very important role player. He should be signed. Another starting pitcher is needed, and another reliable reliever is, too. Hopefully the bullpen can be bolstered from the farm. Someone down there must be good. I did read Baseball America about Player Evaluation, and it seems it might be correct. This group is doing a better job of identifying major league players. A very good sign.

The Cardinals were better than the Dodgers last year? I know the Cards won the NLCS, but who doesn’t believe a healthy Dodgers team would have beat the Cards in 4, or maybe 5 games.

Game 1: Cards 3, Dodgers 2 (13 innings)

Game 2: Cards 1, Dodgers 0

Game 4: Cards 4, Dodgers 2

If Hanley doesn’t get hit in the ribs, the Dodgers probably win at least 2 of those, and maybe all 3. Add a healthy Kemp and Andre Ethier, and it’s almost certain the Dodgers take 2 and PROBABLY all 3. There is no doubt that the Dodgers didn’t go to the World Series (and probably win it all) due to the absence of its star players during the playoffs. And if those star players were healthy all year, the Dodgers probably would have won in excess of 100 games.

But, it’s why they play the games. So it’s up to the Dodgers this year to all show up healthy and get the job done on the field.

Health is the key to the Dodgers. If healthy I see this team winning 100+ games. And for me, with Matt Kemp the only issue is his health. If healthy he will produce. Overall I’m hopeful that the Dodgers will score a lot more runs, and put a lot less pressure on the pitching staff. And the pitching staff would appear at this time to have 4 very good starters, and might possibly add a 5th quality starter. If they do, then Billingsley and Beckett could end up with roles in the pen, something Billingsley did very successfully in 2007.

Bad things could happen. But all in all, I am very confident that the Dodgers will be extremely difficult to beat in 2014. And with this ownership they will be forever on the prowl for players that can improve the team.

19. Anonymous says:

i dont believe that we have bettered the team…but will have to wait to see who they get for back up,we did add haron..but that is about it ..any one who could replace league would be better

20. Gionfriddo says:

Brooklyn, agreed with you on your last post. A healthy Han Ram & Kemp & it’s a different outcome.

Jim Bowden & Buster Olney (among others) are saying that once Tanaka is posted he will be a Yankee. I’m going to guess at least 15 MLB teams post the 20 mill in able to talk to Tanaka. However, when. It’s time for the rubber to meet the road, I don’t see Guggs getting outbid for Tanaka….. yes, I’m aware reports stated that the dodgers were lukewarm in regards to Tanaka but I don’t buy it for a minute.
    I’m guessing 6 yrs @ 105 mill will get it done. At that point he will be slotted into the 3 hole of the rotation…. one guys head in here I’m sure will explode due to the money factor but I could care less…..

No one here has a clue about Tanaka. Neither do I! I refuse to comment on something I know nothing about.

I\’m guessing no one here knows anything either.

Wishful thinking….

22. Yo! Adrian says:

Nick Punto and Mark Ellis will be missed. Dodgers should sign that kind of bench player, and I can’t find a better alternative out there.

Mark, you’re absolutely right. No one here knows the first thing about Tanaka. Which is why I’m not holding my breath over this. However, the Dodgers do know something about Tanaka. If they make a decision to sign him at whatever the cost, I’m going to trust their judgment. And if that happens, we’ll find out somewhere down the line whether it was good or bad judgment.

Off topic, since the Dodger news is so slow coming now –

I had my DVR record all of Season 3 episodes of Homeland — and waited to watch them until this past week. So in the past 5 days I watched all 12 episodes.

Outstanding series. The first couples of Season 3, were slowly directed — but then the show picks up and the last several were top notch.

Dodger news — not much now.

I wonder if the Guggs can twist insurance policies to cover any losses due to injury. I’m sure, with this team, there must some Crystal Clauses involved. One thing is for sure, these guys won’t lose money on the Dodgers. Oh, their team of accountants might produce paper that makes that claim, but, we know how that system works.

26. Pete M. says:

Did we ever really know a heck of alot about Ryu???
    I’m no longer holding my breat for Mr. T… We have alot of candidates and I personally would like to have use an option or two on Sripling, Lee, or Reed.. Acup of coffee, a lil pro-rated major lg pay, a fine hotel,the almighty daily allowance and a feel for the bigs and the LAD way…
    Damn I was born too early….
    Darn at one time I really liked this 3B Bell, but…… Still would like to have Chavez…
    Good pitching, good health and a lil luck and we be in the WS in 2014…

27. Pete M. says:

Bison + Rhianna = collapse

Tiger + drop dead gorgeous wife + a veritable harem = lights out golf!!!

Go figure…

Bob, very encouraging piece on Gordon.

I still see the talent, and I’ve always thought he had a good attitude. Reading that article just reinforces that for me. And I don’t think it hurts to have a father who had a long and successful big league career, and understands what it takes to be successful at that level.

Yeah, I read that this morning Bob. Brought a smile to my face. Come on Dee!

Some of us here – have been Dee Gordon fans and supporters all along.

I remember when he first came up, he made some relay throws to home that nailed runners. It was usually those routine throws to first base that might go astray.

31. Pgunn says:

I know a lot of you like Gordon and hopes he makes it. His speed is dazzling. But he’s got to get on base in order to do damage.

As for fielding, he should work with Lopes and Russell, as well as Larkin. Because they can help him with IF/OF and certainly playing CF at Dodger Stadium.

32. Bob says:

Gordon should eventually be ok in the field. Remember Joe DiMaggio had 17 errors in 1937 and 15 in 1938 as a Yankee, and is rumored to have had 11 throwing errors in one game as a Seal while playing shortstop and that is the real reason that he was moved to the outfield. Now if Gordon could just hit twice his weight.

33. Yo! Adrian says:

Tanaka is an expensive gamble. With the change of the posting rule regarding to charging luxury Tax, he has become less attractive to Dodgers. If Dodgers get Tanaka with 20 mil posting fee + 100 mil salary, he actually costs more than 150 mil. (20 + 100 + more than 30 luxury tax). And he never played in major.

“Remember Joe DiMaggio had 17 errors in 1937 and 15 in 1938 as a Yankee”

Nope. Don’t remember that. But I’ll take your word for it.

If you haven’t listened to this, you really should:

We won the West, and went to the NLCS with Kemp and Ramirez hurt and Mark Ellis as the second baseman. If Kemp and Ramirez are healthy, and Guerrero plays more games than Ellis did (126) we will be a much better offensive club. Ellis had a below average OPS of .674 and OPS+ of 92. I think it’s safe to say Guerrero can better than.

At this point I am fine with rotating the 4 outfielders all year long and having some fresh legs for the lengthy post season this team will be engaged in. And I say again, I hope Dee Gordon wins a spot on this team out of Spring Training. If he does, the bench will have a unique skill set added to it.

A key reason to go after Tanaka and not Price — is giving up super minor leaguers in a Price deal. The Dodgers are not deep in AAA or AA prospects to take those places.

And I cause to pause on Guerrero playing 2B out of Spring Training and hitting .270. I have watched several videos of him hitting in batting practice, but we do not know about him hitting major league pitching over a year. Hitting .270 is not easy. And hitting it all season is not easy. Just ask Puig. Major league pitchers do catch up with hitters like this.

I hope for the best for Guerrero, but we will learn more during Spring Training and then into the season.

36. Quasimodo says:

That was enjoyable, Badger. Max should just go back to primarily boxing though because that’s where he shines the most. Now I’m gonna wait for MLBN to invite brilliant guest professional baseball analysts who predict 82 wins max for Dodgers like a couple of them did last year. I think there’s several reasons how these new owners are taking steps that’ll make Mark reevaluate his view of them. The coarse they’re traversing sure meets my approval.

Yeah, me too. It’s not my money. And it won’t be my money this year. They can afford it, the people will pay to see it, so, as MSTI said the other day, for the millionth+ time lets all be grateful the Roach is gone. As we have said before, it will take a few years to build the system. We won’t have high picks and we will likely move a few prospects to get the pieces we need to win now, so a quick rebuild is not how this management team is going to get it done. This is Show Business and the Show has begun.

How much is a ticket going to cost this year?

37. Quasimodo says:

Where I see Mark might be reevaluating them is Dodgers hiring even more scouts. I understand how Mark has a hard time excepting a team in his favor that simply buys talent and doesn’t develop talent. Angels won their championship without a single free agent. Victory is always sweeter when the you’re the underdog and come out on top. The greatest sporting event of all time was the 1980 US Hockey Team kickin-ass against the Russians. The Dream Teams of these days that the US Olympics allow might win, but they won’t win greatness. Dodgers franchise appears more than 50% in building player development than the ‘win now’ mindset. I haven’t a single doubt that Dodgers will before long have the best farm system of any franchise.

With the way salaries have escalated it would be unwise for Clayton to sign a contract longer than 5 or 6 years in my opinion.
    He would be 31 if he signed for 6 years and in 6 years the highest paid pitcher will be cashing in on 35 or 40 mil per annum.
    200 mil divided by 6 = 33.3333333, sounds about right.
    Crazy ?????????

Crazy?

Yep.

I thought Tanaka was going to be a free agent after next year. Now I read he is under team control for 2 years.

39. Quasimodo says:

I knew they had 2 more seasons contract control with Tanaka. Who didn’t see this situation coming to this? If Tanaka does get posted before this season starts, it’ll be because somehow more than $20 million made its way to the Eagle’s pockets. MLB stepped in and said screw you-be happy with with less than your comings and response was “no, screw you!” But I do find it all entertaining.

I didn’t see it. Sounded to me like the pressure to release the player would win out. Also, 20 million is 3 times what the highest paid player in the league makes. They can buy three All Stars with that money. Not to mention the good will they would receive for granting the player his dream to test himself against the best. I also believed if MLB wanted that player they would get that player. (Still do). I think maybe the Eagles will lose some feathers over this.

40. Quasimodo says:

This whole thing was all about Tanaka getting posted. One day a billionaire, that doesn’t need the money, has $60 million reduced to $20 million. He ain’t gonna be happy about that. He can afford to post Tanaka in a year at no loss and its likely there’ll be some method where he gets more than $20 million. When the news was fresh that an agreement was made, I said there’ll be 30 teams posting or zero.

I don’t know if Tanaka will be posted, but I do know that the Rakuten owner has until February 1st to make that decision. Maybe they’ll drag it out as long as they can. I get the impression that Tanaka will be posted if only because the team understands that’s apparently what the public wants, and because they’d probably rather not have a disgruntled player on their hands. But really, what do I know, and how much of what I read or hear can I believe? Que sera, sera.

Well one thing is for sure… Quas was right… this wad doesn’t need the money. It’s about ego:

43. Quasimodo says:

Lets all pray that Mark doesn’t sell him this site.

Giants designate Eric Surkamp.

Who the hell is Eric Surkamp?

Mark sell this site? It’s a part of him. Of course, if Hiroshi felt he could make some money with this thing….. it’s gone.

44. Quasimodo says:

To me it appears his M/O. And I wouldn’t be shocked if he buys his way into a piece of the Guggs and it becoming in his interest getting Tanka sighed with Dodgers. Yes, I do have a strange imagination, but would it surprise any one?

Just a thought —–

But has Mark and Hiroshi Mikitani even been seen in the same place at the same time ——- OR, could they be the same person?

Take that a step further has Mark and Hiroshi Mikitani AND Josh Bell even been seen in the same place at the same time ——– OR, could they be the same person? I mean, just ask Ray Charles, he can’t see any difference.

This is a no-brainer; since quotes of late are saying we want another piece for the bullpen I suggest we sign Grant Balfour. Since Baltimore just backed out on him[says he's fine] and the trip down under, we might get a bargain.

• Quasimodo says:

Maybe, Michael. But it’d be a coin flip him and Wilson getting along or coming to blows every game. I’ll put my money on Wilson being able to kick his ass.

• Pgunn says:

Donnie would never use Balfour correctly. There would be a way to use all three, if a manager would think of a creative way of using them.
      For example, using them to quell rallies, instead of confining them to the seventh, eighth and ninth. One day, somebody’s going to do that; it probably has been done before.

47. Quasimodo says:

Roger, I have to concede that there are others who have an even stranger imagination than myself. Lolz Cheers.

Perhaps cabin fever is setting in. Been on the disabled list for 10 days but I’ve been cleared to play tomorrows game.

Just do something.

“It was just my imagination” but “People are strange”

Happy Holidays

It really is a small world.

50. Bob says:

Dodgers should make a handshake agreement with Rakuten to sell them 1-2 AAA players each year for a period of 5 years.

Rangers sign Tanaka

51. Bob says:

The Dodgers should just sign Chuck Norris to be their closer and then they will be locks to win the World Series in 2014.

Just heard Matt Kemp interviewed on a sports show – and when asked about Donnie’s comment on 4 outfielders — and himself . . .

I did not like Kemp’s response. He was giving a Kemp, I want to play response — and he did not want to be a part of rotation or 4 outfielders — he wanted to play every day after he gets healthy.

Now, I understand his wanting to play. That is easy. But the team has been basically without him for a year and a half — and won more games without him than with him.

Hope his attitude changes a bit — to I will do what is best for the team. And when i am ready to play — I will do my best for the team.

But this is the guy we have. Big star in his own mind.

53. Anonymous says:

Roger, I wouldnt want to hear from any of my OF that they would be OK being part of a platoon… Especially Kemp… Could it happen??? Yep… Kemp will be ready and Dre will be platooning in LF or RF if the kid has multiple brain farts…
    Ladies and gentleman, be careful out there in the malls…They are like wading thru a Stanley Cup game…Thank God for Amazon…

There are plenty of innings for everybody. If Kemp is healthy, he will play most of them.

Roger,

I don’t recall hearing that Kemp said anything like that. Is it possible that you could post the link to the interview?

I tend to agree with Badger. There will be enough innings for everybody, and that Kemp will play most of them if he’s healthy. And I’m also pretty confident that Kemp will be expecting to get days off here and there to keep him fresh, and to mitigate against a recurrence of injury brought on by too much too soon.

And if the Dodgers are winning, there will be less pressure on him and on the team, for him to be in there everyday.

I saw it too. He said it. Until he proves he is 100%, I go with a steady rotation. Why not. We got 2 lefties and 2 righties. Play the percentages and see how it works.

Of course if he IS 100%, he should be CFer. Rotate Crawford, Ethier and Puig. Sure makes for interesting bench strength.

• Quasimodo says:

The four outfielders rotation idea was brilliantly laid by Roger and I’m thrilled its coming into effect. We don’t always get on the same page, but here it looks like we’re all in the same paragraph. Sure, players want the most chances to tally HR’s, bases stolen and scored and all stats. I believe even if all manage to keep off the DL they’ll really come to appreciate this down the stretch. This is a good plan that’ll surely help get us to the playoffs in better shape.

Yep. Long season when you add all those playoff games.

Choo just became enormously wealthy. Good for him. Glad the other league got him.

Although he had a bad year at the plate he is an excellent fielder, only 4 errors in over 600 chances with a career .990 FA, Darwin Barney can also play SS. I believe we might have something to get it done. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/barneda01-field.shtml

Brooklyn and others on Kemp and his remarks about the 4 outfielders.

If I were his agent, I would rather he said something like:

I am excited about the team that the Dodgers are putting together and we will make some noise in the N.L. West and to the post season in 2014. Donnie has all the tools to make this happen — and I want to be a real part of the team. My rehab is going on schedule and I want to assure all Dodger fans that I will do my part to make the Dodgers world champions again. I can’t wait to see my name in the lineup and playing with these guys.

58. Anonymous says:

I’ll believe it when I see it but Dee is NOT what some people hope he suddenly morphed into.

59. Quasimodo says:

Christmas eve two years ago I experienced a severe stroke. Today I experienced another stroke, but not nearly as severe. Against emergencies consent I signed papers for them to release me. I’m okay and will be till I won’t be. It is what it is and having gone all through it before I know there really is nothing that doctors can do except recommend and prescribe rehab therapy, which I know how to do. And I still have all the toys. At least this time I have use of the left side of my body and I feel much better than I did earlier today. Just to let you all know.

60. Watford Dodger says:

Sorry to hear that Quas. You know your own body better than anyone else.
    All the best to you.

Sorry Quas, that’s terrible. I’ll be sending positive thoughts your way the rest of the week.

62. Pete M. says:

Get better Quas… Work those toys…

Sorry to hear that Quas. Here’s wishing you nothing but the best. And I too will be sending positive thoughts your way, as I know will everyone else in the LA Dodger Talk family. Health be with you.

Just keep posting here Quas . . . that is also some good rehab for all of us, you and we’ins.

Any of you see the end of the Wash/Colo game yesterday, when Wash thought they had a victory — and then fumbled it all away . . . Colo never gave up.

Not much Dodger new since Japan does not know if it will post . . . and Ned and other GMs are awaiting that response to fix the final steps in their pitching needs.

What is all this talk about Barney and the Dodgers????

65. Pete M. says:

As much as it hurts to say, USC the second half of the season had to be in the top 5 teams in the nation… They are a beast…
    I wouldnt want any of my OF OK with platooning… It’s show time for Kemp and I think he going to be up to the task. But don’t get complacent, because Dre is waiting…

66. Pete M. says:

Heavy sigh… Choo is gone… I know, too much $$$, But the thought of him leading off with CC or Puig in the 2 hole…Be still Oh Heart of Mine…

WSU coughed up a hair ball. They gave it away. I think it’s typical of a Leach coached team – they aren’t that good at finishing.

SC looks very good. And the idea that Fresno and NIU were ranked so high is goofy to me.

Choo was never an option for the Dodgers. We already have 4 outfielders, and it would have taken some real GM genius to move one of them out and Choo in. Real GM genius doesn’t really fit Jed, does it?

And, we still don’t have a legit lead-off hitter. May not need one with the middle of this lineup as strong as it looks. But, imagine those hitters coming up behind a .400 OBP guy. Oh well, it’s better to just be thankful for what we do have than desiderate for what we don’t.

67. Quasimodo says:

Mark, you are our Santa for keeping this tight community open. Thanks, Friends. About the only thing different this morning than two weeks ago is my right eye and eyelid are a little disgruntled with what orders my brain issues and my coffee likes to leak from my mouth a couple drops per sip. But face exercises are easy and most convenient, so I’ll be okay. I’m up for an argument but all’s peachy. Cheers!

Ok, what do you want to argue about? Pick a topic. How about the sacrifice bunt? The DH? Minimum wage? Sacrifice the minimum Dbunt?

A .423 OBP would be nice to have from our lead-off hitter. But there’s something about a 7 year, $130 million deal for a player who will turn 32 in July that makes me happy it wasn’t the Dodgers. Who knows, maybe someday Pederson, who has been a high OBP player in the minors, will be that guy for us.

In the meantime, if the Dodgers are healthy in 2014 they will score lots of runs, whoever our lead-off hitter is. Maybe Crawford will begin to appreciate how often he could score with guys like Kemp, Puig, Agon and Hanley hitting behind him, if he became more patient at the plate. And maybe Guerrero can become another guy to drive him in.

Quas, just make sure those are civil arguments, like the ones we have around here. Arguments with morons (which abound everywhere) are not worth the aggravation they create.

As Crawford ages I can see him becoming a valuable bottom of the the order hitter. He only played in 113 games last year and in his 33 year, I don’t see him going back to the .356+ OBP of his 27 and 28 years. I still like him and believe he has value but it’s only spot value. He is no longer an every day .350 OBP player.

I don’t know who leads off. Kemp, AGon, Ramirez, Guerrero, Uribe in the middle and pull the other names out of a hat.

70. jerry says:

who do you guy thing the dodger will get for the back up infielder..all the good one s will be gone.

SVS. Plus the 4 guys . . . that is enough. UNLESS Ned trades Crawford or Ethier in Spring Training — after Kemp shows he is OK.

Quas,

Godspeed!

73. jerry says:

we now have perez ..we have a lot of player s other teams dont want.

1. [...] The future is now! I hope the Dodgers are done in the free agent market and with all trades.  They are set.  It’s not an ideal lineup, but what lineup is?  Those of you who want an All-Star at every position are either Closet Yankee Fans or delusional.  It ain’t happening.  Guggs and Company has money, but they have [...]… [...]

2. [...] rejoins the organization four and a half years after he was traded to Baltimore. more… The future is now! – ladodgertalk.com 12/17/2013 I hope the Dodgers are done in the free agent market and with [...]

3. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]