I will keep the site open unless I sell it so that you all have a place to post.  Play nice and I’ll probably check in now and again.

25 Responses to “Thank you… but I’m still leaving”

1. Quasimodo says:

You are welcome, and that’s more than fair. Especially so considering you’re as busy as you are. I sense you’ve yet again opened another can of tinker-toys with your US Water business. You have the Midas touch and are savvy enough to put it to good use. Or my heads up my ass and I’m just throwing pasta at the wall. At any rate, good luck and enjoy. Thanks, Mark.

2. Bluenose Dodger says:

Thanks Mark.

That passion will return when the Dodgers truly get into Phase II as Stan Kasten calls it. That is, the team flourishes because of the farm production line and is merely supplemented with a missing piece or two from free agency. The Cardinals are good example of that.

3. jhallwally says:

Good luck to you… I will miss this sight and your insighs… This is always the first sight I check for Dodger news and really good banter…. I wish you well….

4. dpwtv says:

Good luck

5. Bobbie17 says:

I don’t get it, Mark. This baseball stuff has been going on forever. The game remains the best. Money drove the Dodgers to LA, after all. It is all about money, unless you are a fan, and I know you are. I appreciate your hard work, and I know about burn out. But IT IS BASEBALL. Anyway, keeping the site open is appreciated. We should now have a designated instigator. Anyone interested? It’s not my style.

Mark doesn’t believe in luck.

But I do. So, good luck to all of us. We are going to need it.

I get it Bobbie. Baseball is, in theory, the same game on the field it always has been. In my opinion, to watch those who are the best in the world at it is still fun. The best fundamental baseball players, from Little League on up, are probably in Japan. Just watch how they approach the game itself during the LL World Series. They have respect. They teach the fundamentals better than we do. But, the best pitchers, and the best hitters, are right here at the Major League level. However, baseball the way I was taught (small ball, defensive teamwork) does not exist at the ML level. Some of these guys don’t back up bases, can’t catch a fly ball and throw three bouncers off line on critical plays. You can see better defense being played on softball fields around the country. I know I have. And the idea that a guy who contributes nothing to society but the ability to hit a 95 mph fastball can make $150,000 a night is something that is just difficult for some of us old farts to take. But, it is what it is. MLB is a massive money making business, where, without a legit salary cap, the teams with the most money will indeed have the best shot at the tournament. Now that mcRoach got what he came here for, and is gone, we have a shot at getting a top seed and actually winning the tournament.

So, back to Dodger bidness, looks like the Juan offer was one year with an option. And that may not be enough for the Ureebear. He wants what we gave him before, a couple years he can eat good, lay around in the jacuzzi and then maybe do his thing in the contract year. Come on Juan, you owe the Dodgers for the two years you did nothing. Take the deal and help us win it all.

7. jerry says:

the dodger dont have shue any more and dont puto..so now who are the back up s
    ..they where pretty good defence..
    and thank s mark for the good reads.

8. Quasimodo says:

Uribe has an agent and that’s likely where a holdup is. Its my thinking 2014 will feature Juan in a Dodgers uniform. His agent was dealt some pretty good pocket cards and is just playing the odds. With little competition for 3B’s, Uribe stands a favorable chance of getting 2 years. I don’t know if others knew he was hurt in his 1st 2 tears with the team, I didn’t.

Yeah, agree B17. Baseball has always been about the money, there’s just more of it now, and the players are simply getting their fair share. If it wasn’t fair, the owners wouldn’t pay it. And if the fans are footing some of the bills by paying high ticket and concession prices, then that’s their choice. Yes the price of a hot dog is ridiculous, but no more ridiculous than what you pay at any other non-baseball venue. For me it’s just baseball, and I watch the games without any thought of the money. Wish I could make $150,000 a night for hitting a baseball. Actually, $1,500 plus the meal money would make me happy, very happy. That’s less than the MLB minimum. Nice work if you can get it.

If the Dodgers have a plan to acquire another third baseman, then just let the Uribear walk.

Badger, are you saying that Mark doesn’t believe in the luck that brought him all of us? (SMILE!!!)

It’s just kind of obscene Brooklyn. With what this world is facing, the idea that, of all things, a baseball player can become filthy rich is weird. But you’re right, free market capitalism. When we have had enough, we will stop buying tickets. And that ain’t hapnin anytime soon. But I do completely understand what Mark is feeling. I guess when it comes to MY team, I would rather be the Yankees than the Marlins.

Do the Dodgers have another plan for 3b? I wonder what it might be. We have thrown some ideas out here, maybe one of them becomes a reality.

Yeah, I knew Uribe had some owies Quas. But I think it’s more than coincidence his owies got healed during a contract year. Maybe I have that all wrong.

D-Backs get Trumbo.

Obviously this gives the D-Backs some serious power in the middle of their lineup. But Trumbo also has defensive shortcomings in the outfield, a low OBP (.294) and frequently strikes out (184).

They also reportedly signed Joba Chamberlain for $3 million.

12. Watford Dodger says:

Hello guys – glad we are all still alive in here & for that I want to thank Mark.
    Who would have thought a year ago that we’d all be hoping for Uribe to sign on again?
    I can’t see us going for Price as it would decimate the farm again & really – do we need him? Starting pitching is already a strength. I say keep the 4 outfielders as we are bound to need them all & one will give the bench a bit of punch every day.
    If Juan won’t sign then we should Chase Headley.

13. Quasimodo says:

This last weekend MLBN show the top plays of 2013. Every one of those plays were executed by passion above money. Its not businessmen on the field. You can’t watch those plays and say the game in ruined. You might not like what the businessmen do, but I’m not watching them on the field. Somehow when the masses enjoy a movie or TV show or any other form of entertainment the stars get rewarded. The masses shortchange the real hero, not by choice, but real heroism isn’t business driven and its mostly not entertaining.

Dbacks are trying, I’ll give them that. But I am not that impressed with these moves. Trumbo has a high ceiling, but that can be said for a lot if underachievers.

Price? Twould be nice, but others can offer more.

Thanks Mark.
    Wish we had something to talk about but perhaps its like they say , no news is good news.

Michael, sooner or later we will have something to talk about. Something could get done at the meetings, or things could drag into January, or even later.

I’m all for Price, i.e., if the price is right. I don’t think I’ll make my mind up on that one until I see it (if it ever happens).

17. Bob says:

It appears that Ned is going after the roster fill out schedule at the Winter meetings that I suggested by attempting to sign a third baseman, 2 relievers, and a reserve infielder.

However, that only adds up to 39 players on the 40 man roster. So what then can we expect when the calendar is closer to Christmas? I am looking for a big signing before Christmas. Thanking Ned in advance. The Dodger multi-day Christmas Eve starts the day after the Winter Meetings. I always enjoyed the family rule that we could open one present on Christmas Eve.

“Yet there’s still a decent chance the Dodgers will be able to move him before Opening Day.

The reason is a predictable one for the Dodgers: They have enough cash to make it worthwhile for the interested teams.”

I think this is a striking example of Mark is talking about. What the Dodgers have is money. What they apparently don’t have is enough common sense to sign players to reasonable contracts. This is a statement that comes right out and says Matt Kemp is not worth the money we are paying him, so, we will be flexible in giving away some of this wasted money to get a decent return on our mistake.

I say screw that. He’s our mistake, we signed him to that contract, let’s just see if he can at least earn some of it in our lineup. If he does, then good for the Dodgers. If he doesn’t, well just add it to list of Colletti screw-ups and move on. He says he likes it here. The Dodgers have the money now, they can afford to swallow this one.

Agree with Plaschke this morning.

20. Gonzo says:

Mark Thanks for giving us a place to hang out and discuss the Dodgers and other things. I did not surprise me that you decided to pick up your ball and go home; your within your right to do it. Nevertheless, Talking bout the Dodgers has become an addiction for me at this level. I’ve been with this group since the LA Times days in the late 90′s, world crossing and now here. I just want to let everybody know that I found a site similar to world crossing where there is a forum admin, yours truly and the ability for anyone to create threads. It is at:

I hope this group can meet there since we really don’t know what’s going to happen here.

Badger, I too agree with Plaschke. However, only the Dodgers themselves have any idea of Kemp’s actual condition and his chances for a full recovery. And of course, medical science being inexact as it is, they’re probably not even sure.

And by no means do I think the Dodgers made any kind of mistake when they signed Kemp to that long term deal. Based on what we’re seeing other players get in this current market, there is no way that a healthy Kemp wasn’t worth what he signed for. He played MVP caliber baseball in 2011, and was off to a potential triple crown when he got hurt in early 2012. In fact, if memory serves, when Kemp went on the DL in early May 2012, I believe he ended a 399 consecutive games streak. There is no way that Kemp’s injuries could have been predicted, unless we think that clairvoyance is now a requirement to be a general manager.

I’m not against trading Kemp, or anyone else, but I would certainly not do so under any kind of duress, nor would I take back anything less than what I believe a healthy Matt Kemp is worth. If no team will offer that, then Kemp stays. I have concerns about his health, while at the same time being fully cognizant of what he can be if healthy.

22. Jimbo says:

IMHO trading Kemp now would show how shorted sighted (or stupid) the front office is. With the questions about his health the team won’t get anything close to what he’s worth and if he’s healthy in six months we’re going to be discussing (on here IMHopefullO) how dumb we were to even consider trading him. For the sake of argument, any trade would HAVE to return somebody ready to be productive at 3B and there is no way we would get back Seager, Wright, Zimmerman, or Beltre. I still feel the best move would be to send Ethier and money to either Texas for a couple of Odor, Font, Sardinas, Buckel and Jackson or to TB for maybe Joyce, Colome or Romero.

1. [...] Thank you… but I’m still leaving It’s just not in me to keep doing something halfway.  I appreciate all the e-mails and overwhelming support but this is the end.  I have lost my passion for the blog and the baseball in general.  I’m still interested but the passion is not there anymore. I will keep the site open unless I sell [...]… [...]

2. [...] to get by without them.. If they don’t move Andre Ethier or Matt Kemp, more… Thank you… but I’m still leaving – ladodgertalk.com 12/10/2013 It’s just not in me to keep doing something halfway.  I [...]

3. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]