OK, here is how it’s going to go down…

I am going to turn LA Dodger Talk into a chat site for Dodger fans.  It won’t happen overnight, but US WATER SYSTEMS will be the sponsor and we will change the software so that it’s more of a Fan Forum.  I will probably ask 8-10 of you to act as moderators in case Trolls come in.  Give me a few weeks and I’ll get it done.  I don’t need the money so I won’t sell it, and I think we can make it a cool place for Dodger fans to hang out.  Sorta’ like a “launch pad” to the other Dodgers sites and Chat.

Commercial-Collage

104 Responses to “OK, here is how it’s going to go down…”

1. Kevin says:

Oh look who is still here. LOSER

2. Gonzo says:

Pay no attention Mark, if we had to guess who it was we would probably nail it. I meant no offense by wanting to start a LDT Too, I was just trying to find a way to keep the bunch together. Thanks for doing this and if you need a moderator and want me to be one, I am willing to do it.

3. Adam says:

Great idea to make it a fan forum. The posts and discussions here are much better than any other Dodgers site I’ve seen.

4. Quasimodo says:

Thanks, Mark. Its really cool of you to do this. I know you get a bit mad when some come around to display rudeness. I can’t figure why they think its wrong to be polite, but they are a minority here. Its hard to find any community to be asshole free. Thank you for letting us talk you keeping your brainchild afloat, and thanks for flipping the bill.

That is awesome Mark. Thanks
    Can you play 3rd base?

Andy LaRoche

6. Jae says:

Kevin is obviously an adolescent who has no social skills and has nothing to add to any conversation, so he makes himself appear to be a legend in his own mind by criticizing others. Mark already knows how to ignore idiots!

OD – is that you?

Looking forward to it Mark. Will it have an edit capability?

8. Quasimodo says:

It seems that Roger’s four outfielder plan has fallen into place. Perhaps it was by accident, but I see it as smart baseball. I can’t think of any scenario how its harmful to rotate a bench spot with the likelihood of whichever player batting in every game. That’s not a bad thing to have. And with 10 or so games played at AL fields it answers who the DH will be. Roger explains it much more eloquently than I’m capable of, but I’m capable of seeing it has good written all over it.

9. Watford Dodger says:

Fantastic news. I think you know what this site means to us all.
    Thank you Mark.

10. the truth hurts says:

THANK YOU MARK.

11. Bob says:

Cool!

Keep the 4 outfielders until the All Star game. See where the team is at and then consider the following trade

Kershaw to Houston
    Price to LA
    Houston Prospects to Tampa Bay

Hope this idea does not make me a Troll.

12. Gonzo says:

I prefer the prospects. They’re good. Really good.

I guess Kevin (or whatever his name is) just can’t get out of his own way. Jae, you hit it on the nose. And I seriously doubt if Mark gets mad when cave dwellers like Kevin come around. If anything, he probably gets a good laugh out of it.

It could be that the four outfielder scenario will play out, but it could also be that one of the outfielders will be traded. If anything, I believe that the Dodgers will listen to any interested party. However, since they’re dealing from strength, I believe they will pull the trigger only if they get exactly what they want. And with all the new TV money in the game, and with player prices going up, our outfielders are looking cheaper everyday, and consequently growing in value.

Mark, thanks for feeding my addiction. Don’t smoke (not for over 40 years), don’t do drugs (never did), and I’ve even started to eat healthy. So I need at least one addiction, and I can’t think of a better one than this site. Bouncing all my Dodger thoughts off of all the Met, Yankee, and other non-Dodger fans I know is a fruitless exercise. It’s nice to be among friends of the same ilk. We don’t agree on everything, but there is one thing that we do agree on, and that’s our passion for the Dodgers.

If anyone was counting on Edinson Volquez, well, don’t.

15. Idaho al says:

Thanks Mark. I really appreciate what you have done.

I don’t trade any off the ML roster. The one I would consider is Ethier for a 3b (Prado or his equal) if we don’t sign Uribe. If we can get Price great. I don’t believe we can but I don’t know that. I make an announcement of some sort that we are content, are prepared to tee it up with the #5 going to whoever wins it out of ST. Tell everybody the price on Tanaka is likely to be too high, stop talking about it then blow everybody away with an offer. At 20 mil for the post we will be one of many so it might be possible to keep a low profile on this deal. Or not.

All indications so far are that Kemp is hungry. Our lineup looks damn good to me. Our staff is excellent. Good players are going to want to be a part of this.

My confidence level is high.

17. Rob says:

Thanks Mark.

Back home Mark. 1,100 miles. Had to drive the southern route. Car runs just fine.

Outfielders. Keep all four. As discussed before: Kemp, injured. Crawford, needs days off. Puig, runs into things. Ethier, needs a breather now and then anyway.

And they need one more guy who can play out there in some situations . . . like long extra inning games, or injury during a game and as another bat off the bench.

Donnie needs to use all 25 players on the roster.

PITCHING. If the Dodgers know or feel that Clayton Kershaw will not sign — then they need to go get Price at some point. But with Price being left handed, if they trade for him AND Kershaw signs — along with Ryu that is 3 starting left handers. Is that smart????

Three starting lefthanders of the caliber of the Kershaw, Price and Ryu works for me.

I too would keep a low profile on Tanaka, and everything else.

I heard that the White Sox are no longer in on Uribe. But even if he does re-sign with the Dodgers, they should probably remain on the prowl for third baseman or shortstop. You never know what might become available.

I too have a high level of confidence.

20. 86McCourt says:

Long time lurker here……i love the idea and will participate! thank you for all you have done over the years Mark! NOW……back to lurking……

Mike Petriello said it for me:

“The Dodgers will fill the holes they have. Whether that happens on December 11 or January 11 or February 11, well, it doesn’t matter all that much to me.”

Any thoughts to whom we might pursue in todays rule 5 draft or lose?

“Dodgers GM Ned Colletti told reporters, including Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times (on Twitter), that he has met with “far more agents than teams” at the winter meetings. He added that he doesn’t expect any deals to go down before leaving tomorrow.”

So that really means after translation — Ned will make a deal.

24. Quasimodo says:

This GM swap meet turned out funny when about 99.9% of the rumors had to be taken out of drive and put into reverse. Seems the GM’s think the meeting is not the best place to do deals. Like a United Nation’s meeting in the 60′s, BS for the show. Still, it went the way I hoped it would as far as Dodgers playing it close to their vests.

Jed holding cards close to vest.

Personally I don’t care about lefty lefty matchups. Give me pitchers who can get anybody out

Agree with Mike.

The pieces we need are support pieces. If we have to do it with a third baseman who hits 7th then make sure he brings a positive dWAR. Bench players can be found all over the place. Good ones can’t, but, that’s why they’re bench players.

Hey Mark

I know you mentioned above you’d ask a few people to help with the site. I appreciate all you’ve done giving us this forum, so anything I can do to help out, I will.

Let me know your email addy, and we can discuss anything you might need with regards to this website.

27. Bobbie17 says:

Mark: You will continue to provide a valuable service for us fans, and for that, thank you. This site seems to be, for me, the gateway to the others and is always the one I check out first. I am glad I can continue to do so.

28. Bob says:

I Prefer Rosin over Jamie Wright as a long reliever, because I really do not care much about ERA for this position, just the number of innings, and I also prefer a starter converting to long reliever than a really old guy stretching out. Pitching innings 6-9 on the same day as Beckett and than Kershaw goes 8 innings, now that is some bullpen rest, which is presumably needed by Paco and for all relievers in October.

I keep hearing that the Dodgers are looking to acquire two relievers. I’m not exactly sure where that comes from. As I see it, the bullpen will have 7 pitchers. Most likely the first 5 are:

Jansen
    Wilson
    Paco
    Withrow
    League

Unless the Dodgers intend on letting League loose (which I doubt), then that leaves two spots. I understand that one of those spots they would like to fill with J.P. Howell. However, I would have thought that they would be comfortable with Jose Dominguez filling the other, unless they’re planning on either trading him or having him open the season in the minors with a call-up planned for later, especially if League should falter again.

Chances are that they’re just looking for an additional veteran presence, if only because they want Withrow and Paco to further establish themselves. I know that some will just want to jettison League, but before that happens, I believe that the Dodgers want to give him another chance to re-establish himself. Nor do I think they want to eat the $7.5 million he’s owed in each of the next two years without at least giving him an opportunity to turn things around, a la Juan Uribe.

In addition, there’s a chance that either one, or both of Josh Beckett or Chad Billingsley could end up in the pen before the year is out.

So maybe the Dodgers are looking for a couple of relief pitchers, or maybe not. Then again, if they do add another couple of arms for the pen, that will give them time to sort everything out, and they would just have additional trade bait for July. Guess they have the money to do that.

30. Great idea Mark! You got our support over at LL, we’ll link to you. Good luck with the water business.

Went to that site – 3 pop up ads layered on the screen at the same time. Went to register to post – 2 more. No thanks.

31. Quasimodo says:

MLBN is worse than gossip magazines.

Infante could play third.

Infante is a good player, but according to reports has turned down the Yankees 3 yr., $24 million offer, and is asking 4 yrs. at $40 million. I don’t think either of those deals or anything in-between would be attractive to the Dodgers. I’m guessing he’s out of the range they would offer, and for now they’re probably still looking at Uribe or elsewhere.

34. Quasimodo says:

Badger, it just takes a little longer to load @ Lasorda’s Lair because there are several adds. Some of which have audio-video. I’m pretty certain your computer is better than mine, but I don’t get ‘pop ups’. US Water Systems advertises there.

35. Quasimodo says:

This business of collisions with catchers being eliminated is a good thing but, geez, they are sure in store of a major workload trying to put the rule into language. Nearly every captured play where its occurred will need to be dissected multiple times by many viewers. And then there’ll be examples that conflict with however its written. surely its a chore that will have to go back to the drawing board countless times before it can be completed. So I wonder where a catcher is blocking the plate and the runner avoids collision by stopping or changing direction will be awarded the run never touching the plate. The old saying “keep your eye on the ball” will often cause the catcher to move into that real estate. It’ll be interesting when done.

Oh I don’t know, softball handled the language easy enough. Catchers can’t block the baseline. You do and the runner is safe. That’s pretty clear.

I went to LL on my iPhone yesterday and had those problems. Haven’t been from my computer in a while. Not sure I will. There are enough Dodger sites available where that won’t happen.

Catchers — reaching for the ball that brings them into the line of the plate — OK, it all happens so fast. But — but same for the bases. If a SS, 2B, or 3B players is awaiting a throw, and that throw takes them into the base line and the runner is coming at that bag — usually the fielder gets out of the way.

Maybe not making the play (runner safe) or the ball gets by (runner safe) and the play continues. No big deal here.

The interesting part — is if it is the last play of an inning or a game on the line — and the catcher moves into the line and in front of or on the plate — and there is a collision. Umpires will have to call that one — and flags will fly out of the managers hand.

Roger, umpires should have little problem with this. Catchers cannot impede clear access to the plate. Think about it, no matter where the throw is, you can field it without moving into the baseline. Softball catchers do this on a nightly basis. At least slow pitch catchers do. They don’t have the protective gear so they know better. In the over 50 leagues every play at the plate is a force out. And there are two bases at first. And you can over run every bag. Those guys know better than to encourage collisions.

If the language is clear – as in “catchers will not be allowed to impede clear access to plate – result will be dead ball, baserunner is to be ruled safe, all other baserunners to be awarded one base at the time of dead ball”. Something like that. Very similar to the obstruction rule.

Rockies signed LHP Boone Logan today for 3 years. Earlier, LHP Javier Lopez signed for 3 years with the midgets. Since J.P. Howell was also talking to the Rockies as well as the Dodgers, I wonder if we can expect that he might re-sign with the Dodgers for 3 years, since that seems to be the norm lately, and it is what he’s reportedly asking for.

39. Bobbie17 says:

Would there be a new catcher rule if “pretty boy” Posey wasn’t involved in a collision a couple of years ago? This should be called “The Posey Rule.” Concussions are a big deal right now, but the catcher is at risk more with batted balls than with home plate collisions. MLB is afraid of lawsuits ala the NFL. You might as well write the contested home plate play out of the game; no one will want to risk whatever the penalty will be. The Giants always get their way; just as Oakland.

Maybe it’s magic 86. Their love for each other only surprpassed by their love for themselves.

All plays at home being a force out would sure change the game. I’m not suggesting it for MLB but having played a few years in a league that did that I came to really appreciate it.

41. Quasimodo says:

Maybe Kemp is looking for a reality show. If he’s truly dating her, I’ve lost mucho faith in him. Don’t he know there’s too many black men in the world to compete with? Just take your # and made a quick exit Kemp.

42. Bob says:

Khloe Kardasian Kemp

Probably not a good name or acronym but they would have athletic children if she really is OJ’s daughter.

Leave him in Arizona when the Dodgers go to Australia. Let him workout by himself in anticipation of a trade.

43. jerry says:

the kardasian only date rich guy ..not for love..they dont know what love is …it all about the money..but i wouldnt touch any of them with a 10 ft poll,

44. Pete M. says:

Darn if we havent spiraled down and into Kemp-Kardashian rumors???
    As with the rest of the folks, Thanks Mark for retaining the site. Weeding out the Kevins of the world would be a great benefit…
    Dodger stuff: can’t understand the reluctance to sign J.P Howell. He was as steady as sin in the mid to late inn’s. I’m thinking Uribe folds and goes 1+1 and I got a feeling Mark Ellis is resigned as 2B insurance. A few minor tweeks here and there and I’m ready for ST… See you there Feb 7 thru 10…

I’d touch the Kardashians just to see if all those curves are real. Then I’d run like hell as fast and as far as I could.

All those relievers are waiting for Jed to throw the League deal their way. He’s done it before, he could do it again.

I hates this time of year. Baseball off season and the beginning of cold weather season just harshes my mellow.

45. Bob says:

Still in on Chavez and Palanco as a platoon at 3B and if Uribe is later signed then the Dodgers just convert those two players to the bench, which is where they should be anyway.

Heck, that’s actually a good plan. Both those guys are 80 game players and would be decent pinch hitters. Add Gordon for some speed and see what happens by July 31st.

46. Chuck says:

Love the site, always have. Best comments

Hate the fighting. Keep it up Mark

Trade Rumors saying we may be targeting Young as the everyday third baseman. I like Bob’s idea better and it might be had for a similar cost.

48. Quasimodo says:

Hey Badger, you may want to visit Lasorda’s Lair as they’ve made some changes that result in loading smoother. Good people over there. LAdodgertalk is still my favorite site. Mark has made it the easiest to surf from. I’m sure it was all of us that talked Mark into continuing his gift in providing us this great meet place. No telling where it’d go if he sold it.

49. Quasimodo says:

Not sure I heard correctly listening at MLBN about Uribe and Dodgers making progress in signing as I wasn’t in the same room. I thought others here would be on and commenting but I guess not as of yet. Trade Rumors hasn’t caught up to speed either.

I don’t even want Michael Young in LA, let alone our damn starting 3b!!

God Uribe just shut up and sign already. I’ll buy you a Krispy Kreme; u know u want one!

Guess my donut offer worked

Uribe resigns for 2 years. Money not disclosed yet

52. Quasimodo says:

Should I lie and say I knew all along? I did think that all along though, but I started getting doubts in my guessing skills. At any rate, I find this as great news. Now M. Ellis.

53. Watford Dodger says:

I’m pleased as I like him but as far as I can see offensively we are no more potent than last year unless Guerro is better than anticipated ( still trying to teach him to play 2nd base ). Of course a full season of Puig plus Hanley & a return to form & fitness for Mr Kardashian would make a huge difference but I’m not confident in any of those things happening. The 3rd base market was thin though. Perhaps the most important signing will not be a player but Sue Falcone’s replacement.

• Quasimodo says:

We are by far better offensively as the DL list is much shorter.

Hopefully Uribe stays in shape for both years. With some good luck, Seager could be ready by then.

Ellis and a couple of arms and we’re good to go. Sure hope Kemp and Ramirez can give us 150 games. They do, we win the West and will be favorites going in to post season.

54. Quasimodo says:

All I want is 120 games from Kemp, and the same from the other three OF’s.

Tomorrow I must go out and celebrate with a box of Krispy Kremes — Juan is back in the fold.

56. Bob says:

Uribe = Happy Happy

Now sign Mark Ellis or Polanco, who would move to the bench with less mental anquish, or maybe both since I can do without watching Gordon or Sellers on the 2014 World Series Championship team.

Sign one middle reliever, and either a long reliever or have a “Come to Jesus meeting” with Withrow to motivate him to be the 2-3 inning guy, and tell League to join AA and come to camp in shape so that he does not gas out after 3 pitches any more. Really sad to see a relief pitcher gasping for air after 3 pitches when the temperature is 80 degrees. Actually, tell League that he is going to be the long reliever and see if he shows up to camp in shape or just lets himself be Toreeized during 2014.

Quas, 120 games from Kemp wouldn’t be bad, assuming he doesn’t miss the last 42 games of the season.

Report is Uribe at 2 years, $15 million. Hopefully he doesn’t go into hibernation in year 1. And hopefully, he builds on what he learned last year, and goes up the middle and to right field even more than he did in 2013. And hopefully he gets even more patient at the plate. Of course that’s a lot to expect from a 35 year old. Maybe he’ll prove to be a late late bloomer.

Uribe continuing what he did last year will help, especially the defense. But he’s anything but the prototypical offensive third baseman that we would like. The key to the Dodgers offense is going to be Kemp, Hanley, Agon, a more consistent Ethier, Crawford and a more mature Puig. And we’ll have to see how Guerrero works out at 2B. And of course, it goes without saying, that the most important ingredient necessary will be health.

If the Dodgers sign Mark Ellis there will be no one on the bench to back up at shortstop, unless Ellis plays 2B on the days that Hanley is given a day off, and Guerrero fills in at short. But even in that scenario, there is no one on the bench who can play short. If Gordon makes the team, he’s not the ideal shortstop backup, and if instead of him SVS grabs a spot, then there is no backup at short.

Considering that there will be 12 pitchers and 13 position players, unless there are some changes (and there probably will be), here’s the 13 position players.

Agon
    Guerrero
    Hanley
    Uribe
    Puig
    Kemp
    Ethier
    Crawford
    A.J. Ellis
    Fedex
    Gordon/SVS
    Mark Ellis – if signed

Of course, as I noted above, there will probably be some changes before all is said and done. So the above is probably less than accurate.

Oops!!! Counted wrong. I only listed 12 players above, which assumes that BOTH Gordon and SVS will not make the team. If they both do make it, then the number is 13. So it appears that there is room to add another utility infielder, one that can play short.

Looking at the Dodgers’ schedule, it appears that it’s possible that they could open the season with 11 pitchers, and 14 position players. They open with 2 games in Australia on 3/22 and 3/23 (there’s also an exhibition game in Australia on 3/20), and then don’t resume the regular season for another 8 days, on 3/31. And even after that there are several days off in April. They’re probably also going to be able to get by with 4 starters for a while, if they so choose. In fact, assuming that Kershaw, and Greinke start the 2 games in Australia, it would seem that Kershaw, Greinke and Ryu will start the first three games when the season resumes in San Diego on 3/31, 4/1, and 4/2.

There are roughly 696 PA’s for each outfield position. That’s roughly 520 for all 4 dudes if divided equally. I think I would rather see Kemp get over 600 of them.

I can live with Gordon making the team. If he does it means he showed Donnie enough in winter ball and ST to make a believer out of him. He can play a lot of positions and is the fastest runner in the organization. I’m still pulling for the young man.

61. Bob says:

I prefer Cesar Izturis for less than $1,000,000 over Gordon.

Seriously?

• Bob says:

Yes, however please let me clarify. If Hanley is healthy and the Dodgers need a backup shortstop to play 1-3 games per month then I would rather have Izturis play the day game of a night/day schedule and have Gordon training at AAA to become a super utility guy who can play three outfield positions plus shortstop and second base. My opinion is that, depending upon who is signed to start the season at second base, Gordon might do himself a lot of good by playing second base both during the Winter instructional period and during spring training in hopes of being part of a platoon with either Guerrero or an old 39 year old part-time second baseman.

Why is it that so many pitchers are willing to become relief pitchers, after realizing that they will not make it to the Show, and very few position players will agree to transition to a utility role? Gordon should do so. If I were Van Slyke, I would try to learn how to play third base by the start of the 2016 season so that I might be able to platoon with Seager and then in 2017 platoon with Gonzalez assuming that his knees are shot by then, or is there a different reason why he runs so veeeeeery sloooooowly.

Sound logic.

I guess I see Gordon, with some success in winter league and signs of success in his call up, being on the verge of fitting in on the ML roster. He was very successful at every stop on his way up, why the stymie at the top? His skill set doesn’t compute to complete failure at this level. Maybe he was thrown in too soon, I don’t know. But he has the proper time in at the minor league level, he is entering his prime years. I say use him or lose him. Somebody out there would take him in trade and give him a job, living with the consequence. If he figures it out, he is a game changer. Izturis is done in my estimation. Gonzalez never could run.

I agree about Gordon at 2b. I’ve been saying that for a few years now. I think he can probably already do it. It really isn’t that big a switch for an athletic SS. I could teach him the bag moves in 30 minutes, and the angles on the grounders is just repetitive practice. 100 grounders a day for a month and he should have it.

62. Pete M. says:

Tell me the truth. Have you ever seen a smoother 3B in the shape of the ‘Burrito Man’?? Welcome back Juan…Have fun like last year and keep mentoring the kid…
    Icing is Tanaka and a few pcs. here n there…

63. Quasimodo says:

Well it appears that M. Ellis is going to the Cardinals on a one year deal. Thank you, Mark, for becoming one of my favorite Dodgers during your time in L.A. You get my best wishes.

64. jerry says:

i dont see gordon playing second..he cant throw from short..what make you think he can turn a double play flowing away from second base with nothing on the ball..yes normal plays would be easier ..but to turn the double play ..he will throw the ball away many time..

65. jerry says:

sorry falling away from the bag

I thought Gordon was actually better on the more difficult plays.

Bench guys. Most of them done been sucked up.

Badger, I agree with you about Gordon. I’m just not sure how the Dodgers feel about him backing up at short. But if Hanley remains healthy, even with days off, how many games would he need to be replaced? Who knows, maybe with further maturity, Gordon can tone down his throws, and become acceptable defensively, especially in a limited role at the position. Fielding ground balls has never been his problem, it’s been strictly throwing. And that’s why I agree with your assessment of him at 2B. He can field the balls, and make the shorter throw. In fact, with repetitions at 2B he could probably be quite good. His strong arm could be a definite asset on balls hit up the middle, and on throws to complete double plays.

Gordon also showed marked improvement last year in his plate discipline, and in his limited play this past winter.

From what I recall reading, Gordon claimed that he enjoyed playing 2B, and I suspect that he will become a pretty good outfielder, maybe even a very good outfielder. And if memory serves, I believe that Gordon made some good throws on balls he cut off in the outfield. I suspect that in addition to range in the outfield, he might show us an accurate plus arm. And of course, he still has the speed. I keep thinking back that this was a guy who didn’t take up baseball regularly until his senior year of high school. I suspect that he’s a late bloomer who is just beginning to catch on to the nuances of the game. That might also include bunting. For me, he gets another shot, and hopefully takes advantage of it.

As for Cesar Izturis, Bob, I suspect you remember the ten years ago, 2004 version. He had decent seasons in 2008-09, but it doesn’t look like he’s done much since.

Here’s hoping that the Uribear comes into camp in top shape.

As for SVS, he does provide some righthanded power off the bench, but nothing much more. No way I can see him playing 3B, even as a backup. With the Dodgers currently having 4 outfielders, and with the speedy Gordon having the versatility to play both the infield and outfield, I wonder if SVS will even have a role with the Dodgers in 2014. The Dodgers apparently didn’t think all that much of him when the playoffs came around. If anything, I think the Dodgers would like to stay away from his one-dimensionality.

But all that said, everything could change if the Dodgers make a trade or two between now and opening day.

Excellent analysis Brooklyn. Of course, being excellent I agree with it. When Gordon figures out the .333+ OBP he is going to find a job and keep it. He is a player that will score a lot of runs once he can get to first base regularly. Like I said, I hope he wins a roster spot.

68. Watford Dodger says:

Badger – one of Crawford, Puig, Kemp & Ethier every day hopefully plus SVS & Gordon isn’t a bad start – bit of power – bit of speed. Still time to add a couple of pieces. I get the impression Ned quite fancies bringing Young back because of his versatility and a good clubhouse guy.
    It’s a big but ( just like my missus) – but – if we can get all guys on the field together regularly we really do have a good line up plus stellar starting pitching & Wilson & Kenley to wrap things up. Add a couple of good relievers plus maybe some young live arms emerging and we will be set. Also Crawford was lighting it up early season before the hammy – and came good again at the end – a full season of him would be great too.

69. Quasimodo says:

Dodgers buyout option of $1 million to Ellis seems not real wise when $4.75 million more would bring him back for a year. He’s agreed to backup 2B for 1 year with Cards. I can’t help but feel this is one that Dodgers let slip from their fingers.

The only reason the Dodgers would have signed Ellis would have been as insurance in the event that Guerrero didn’t work out at 2B, or initially opened the season in the minors. Otherwise, I think the Dodgers would prefer a utility infielder who can play all around the infield, and very likely at less than $4.75 million (remember, they didn’t match the $3 million that Nick Punto got). I wouldn’t say that backup infielders are a dime a dozen, but I’m pretty certain the Dodgers can find one. Ellis is a good player, but there are others.

Dodgers need a Matt Stairs type of hitter off the bench — period.

And SVS is not it. He is just not a major league hitter.

Find one.

Wilson Betemit?

73. Cal says:

True Dodger fans will bleed blue until they bleed no more!

74. Bob says:

Did the Dodgers no longer want Mark Ellis or did he decide that the Cardinals are more likely to win the 2014 World Series? Either way I continue to believe that the 2014 Dodgers will win the World Series.

Is it possible that after the Dodgers win the 2014 world Series that they will then cut the 2015 payroll to below the $189 million Luxury Tax level and bring back fans like Mark who are adverse to this new business model?

Here is a first attempt at constructing a 2015 team below the Luxury Tax level which results in a good playoff team and a positive indication of progress toward the Guggenheim Phase II implementation.

Total Payroll $188.6 million (Non-contract amounts are merely estimates)

Pitching $77.7 Million
    Starting Pitchers $60.5 million
    Kershaw 26.7, Greinke 25.0, Ryu 4.8, Lee 0.5, Stripling 0.5, Billingsley 3.0 Payoff Option
    Relievers $17.5 million
    Jansen 6.0, Rodriquez 0.6, Dominquez 0.6, Withrow 0.6, Garcia 0.5, Garcia 0.5, League 8.5 (Can’t be traded), Wilson assumed traded

Position Players $110.9 million
    Catchers $4.5 million
    Ellis 4.0, FedEx 0.5
    Infield $57.5 Million
    Gonzalez 21.8, Guerrero 6.5, Ramirez 20.6, Uribe 7.5, Seager 0.5, Gordon 0.5
    Outfield $48.9 million
    Crawford 21.4, Kemp 20.2, Puig 6.2, Pederson 0.5, Van Slyke 0.6

This could still be a very good team and therefore I am hopeful for a good multiyear run assuming major injuries do not occur.

75. Quasimodo says:

Wilson has a player option, so that eliminates a trade. Will he decide to go elsewhere? I’m gonna guess he’ll be able to round up ‘A Fist Full of Dollars’ more, be it here or elsewhere.

76. Quasimodo says:

I’m thinking it’s likely Dodgers are gonna look in their own pantry. At least for the time being. J.Sellers might not be the answer we’d like to see, but he’s fairly solid defensively. Will Gordon cut the mustard? We all hope so because its looking like he’ll be on the 25 as days go further by. Rollins? Sure, but at what cost? Guess we’ll find out soon. I’d sure be happier today if M.Ellis was signed yesterday….with Dodgers.

I see the dbacks gave up on 3b prospect Matt Davidson. I saw him a few times in ST and thought he looked really good. Big kid, only 23. Didn’t know he was available.

The problem with Dodger news this off-season time — is that the Dodgers really did not ;have many holes to fill.

Many other clubs are making major overhaul and major upgrades == because they had to.

So — we Dodger fans have been concerned with — who plays 3B, will one of the 4 outfielders be traded, and will Kershaw sign or not?

Jimmy Rollins?????? Maybe. It would depend on a number of things.

1. Would the Dodgers be willing to pay $11 million this year, and more later (see the link below) for what would essentially be a part-time, backup role?

2. Would Rollins agree to waive his no-trade clause to take on such a role if he truly wants to be with a strong contender?

Rollins just recently turned 35, so he’s probably not exactly ready to be put out to pasture, and might, in fact, thrive in a part-time role. He’s certainly the backup infielder I’ve spoken about before, i.e., someone who can fill all around the infield, which is what Mark Ellis was lacking.

If the Dodgers didn’t have to surrender anything much to get him, it’s fine with me. He could well turn out to be the perfect backup.

That’s interesting, Badger’s 12.51 pm post remains behind mine and others made AFTER he posted.

And I’m sure 99.999999999999999999999% of the readers know that I meant “fill-in all around the infield” and NOT “fill all around the infield”.

81. mjrod55 says:

Yes! Thank you Mark, I was hoping you wouldn’t let go totally away.

Jimmy Rollins anyone?

1. [...] OK, here is how it’s going to go down… I am going to turn LA Dodger Talk into a chat site for Dodger fans.  It won’t happen overnight, but US WATER SYSTEMS will be the sponsor and we will change the software so that it’s more of a Fan Forum.  I will probably ask 8-10 of you to act as moderators in case Trolls [...]… [...]

2. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]