capped off with a win at Lucas Oil Stadium by the Colts today, after a win on Saturday by my son’s high school team at the same stadium for the 2A State Championship in High School Football. Indianapolis Cardinal Ritter won 56-6 in a rout, and my freshman son got into the game as 14 year-old for the last two plays. He got a beautiful medal and will soon get a ring. He was awestruck and this morning at 9:30, I heard the clink of iron as I walked down the basement. “What are you doing” I asked? He said “Getting ready for next year!” Love it! And my Pacers beat the Clippers to improve to 16-1. WOW!
But, I digress. These are the Dog Days for baseball fans. Not a lot going on… or is there?
- The longer the Dodgers go without signing Clayton, the more I think he wants to play for the Rangers. I hope not, but it seems that way. I don’t think Darvish will be a part of the puzzle. The Rangers will want both. This may be a three or four teams deal with a lot of players involved. I can see Ethier and Kershaw both being involved as well as Andrus and/or Beltre, but it will take a lot more than that. My preference is to keep Clayton, but it takes two to tango and maybe he wants to go to Texas. There are huge tax ramifications, but if you are a Texan, that’s where you want to be. We shall find out soon.
- Brian Wilson would be nice, but he’s older and really, who knows how long he can be effective? The Dodgers have lots of live arms including Billingsley, Stripling, Dominguez, Withrow, Andreson, Reed and others. Think: The Cardinal Way!
- By the way, the Cardinals were BA’s Organization of the Year, even though the BoSox won the World Series.
- $150 million might make Hanley feel fine about a move to 3B. I’m just not sure that’s the place for him. I like him at 2B better, but that’s Guerrero’s spot – for the record, I don’t think Alex is a major league shortstop.
- I’ll bet most people never thought AJ Ellis would be a solid major league backstop. FedEx will be of that same ilk… maybe better! Give it time.
- How about signing James McDonald – he’s available and I think is suited for relief, not starting?
- Matt Kemp will be the Dodgers opening day CF! Book it!