It was a good week…

capped off with a win at Lucas Oil Stadium by the Colts today, after a win on Saturday by my son’s high school team at the same stadium for the 2A State Championship in High School Football.  Indianapolis Cardinal Ritter won 56-6 in a rout, and my freshman son got into the game as 14 year-old for the last two plays.  He got a beautiful medal and will soon get a ring.  He was awestruck and this morning at 9:30, I heard the clink of iron as I walked down the basement.  “What are you doing” I asked?  He said “Getting ready for next year!”  Love it!  And my Pacers beat the Clippers to improve to 16-1.  WOW!

But, I digress.  These are the Dog Days for baseball fans.  Not a lot going on… or is there?

• The longer the Dodgers go without signing Clayton, the more I think he wants to play for the Rangers.  I hope not, but it seems that way.  I don’t think Darvish will be a part of the puzzle.  The Rangers will want both.  This may be a three or four teams deal with a lot of players involved.  I can see Ethier and Kershaw both being involved as well as Andrus and/or Beltre, but it will take a lot more than that.  My preference is to keep Clayton, but it takes two to tango and maybe he wants to go to Texas.  There are huge tax ramifications, but if you are a Texan, that’s where you want to be.  We shall find out soon.
  • Brian Wilson would be nice, but he’s older and really, who knows how long he can be effective?  The Dodgers have lots of live arms including Billingsley, Stripling, Dominguez, Withrow, Andreson, Reed and others.  Think:  The Cardinal Way!
  • By the way, the Cardinals were BA’s Organization of the Year, even though the BoSox won the World Series.
  • $150 million might make Hanley feel fine about a move to 3B.  I’m just not sure that’s the place for him.  I like him at 2B better, but that’s Guerrero’s spot – for the record, I don’t think Alex is a major league shortstop.
  • I’ll bet most people never thought AJ Ellis would be a solid major league backstop.  FedEx will be of that same ilk… maybe better!  Give it time.
  • How about signing James McDonald – he’s available and I think is suited for relief, not starting?
  • Matt Kemp will be the Dodgers opening day CF!  Book it!

CyberMonday

118 Responses to “It was a good week…”

1. Quasimodo says:

I think you meant backstop with A.J., Mark. And I hope you are correct about Kemp. I don’t see Kershaw heading anywhere. He still has business to tend to in L.A. He can play anywhere he wants and make more than even he has a right to dream of. Oh, and congrats to your son giving more than you had a right to dream of.

Thanks Quas,

Fixed it – backstop was what I intended.

What were we thinking about with that Cuban shortstop, when we had one already in-house, A.J. Ellis.

I have my reservations about Brian Wilson, and posted as much at the end of the previous thread. And though I didn’t mention the Cardinal Way, I was thinking about it (actually the Dodger Way) when I posted the possible alternatives to Wilson in that same post. So we agree on that one.

Kershaw has a pretty good thing going for him in LA. He is playing in the pitching friendly NL West as opposed to the launching pad in Arlington, and I suspect he probably has a lot more opportunities for off-field lucrative promotional deals in LA than he would ever have in Texas. And as I’ve noted before, he’s the closest thing to Koufax that there’s ever been in LA since Koufax, and is clearly closely tied to that legacy. I’m not worried. But we’ll see.

I can still see Hanley at 3B, and I’m not sure I want him at 2B. Having his back turned to the baserunner on DP’s is an injury risk, especially for someone without years of experience turning the DP at 2B. Also, it may be that Guerrero is not a big league shortstop, but perhaps he could be a big league third baseman if Hanley were to move to 2B.

5. Adam says:

I find it odd the Mattingly deal isn’t done yet. What’s taking so long? A manager contract should be much easier than a player.

6. Quasimodo says:

Whats taking so long is not only ‘the Dodgers way’ but the ‘Dodgers F/O way’. Things will soon heat up. Dodgers are likely just sand-bagging the facts. Has there been any news about the coming Dodgers channel? It could be they just steal the spotlight all at once. Marketing smarts.

Winter meetings are Dec. 9 -12. Maybe things begin to heat up at about that time.

8. Idaho al says:

I do not think much is going to happen this off season. They need to sign Uribe to a one or two year contract. They will go after Tanaka when he becomes available. There will be no trades unless something really good comes their way. There are offers on the table to Howell, Wilson, Uribe and Kershaw. The Dodgers are just waiting until the players sort it out and sign on the dotted line. The Dodgers have options if Howell and Wilson do not sign. Not as many options if Uribe and Kershaw do not sign.

Cardinal Ritter. Private school. Congratulations. On all fronts. Go Raiders.

Seems to me the Dodgers were “Organization of the Year” under McRoach. Big deal. Though I do think the Cardinals are much better at it.

“There are huge tax ramifications”. I think you and your conservative friend should do some research on that. There are ramifications, yes, but “huge”. Again, I looked it up, I think you should. (hint, jock tax, duty days) Clayton would indeed pay some extra money to live and work in Texas, but it’s not as much as you might think. There are other “advantages” for rich people who live in Texas. You think oil people wouldn’t make sure of that? And I agree with Brooklyn about pitching in Texas. (and of course, they too can afford private tuition for their high school children. Thank goodness, because Texas public education is in the toilet) If hitting is so much easier there, it stands to reason Clayton’s pitching stats wouldn’t be close to what he has done in LA. He would be wise to consider that. I think he has a better chance to win a Championship in Los Angeles. But, who knows how important that is to him?

As for the players involved, we can only imagine. A deal that size would be EXTREMELY complicated, and I must say with Jed handling the details, I got between not much and zilch on the confidence meter when it comes the Dodgers coming out on top of a complex deal like that one.

Will FedX ever hit? I have my doubts. He is now officially in his prime years. Bring it on.

The Tigers and Wilson were moving toward a deal about a week ago. What happened with that? I would be very cautious about that if I were handling the negotiations. Two TJ’s on an arm that throws that hard? Seems to me, with that surgery, pitchers have shown it would be wise to learn how to actually pitch if you intend to stick around a while.

“to be this successful after a second ulnar collateral ligament replacement is rare, according to James Andrews, a Birmingham, Ala.-based orthopedist who many pitchers visit to seek second opinions on their throwing arms. According to statistics maintained by his office, Andrews performed 1,169 Tommy John surgeries over the 12-year span from 1994 until 2005. Of those, only 12 players were going for their second elbow reconstruction.

For those 12, the success rate — a pitcher making it to his presurgery level of baseball — is about 20%, Andrews estimates.”

That was from an article written a few years ago. I know things in this arena have changed a bit over the years, but, I have no idea what the success rate of hard throwing bullpen guys is after a second TJ surgery. I would think it’s a roll of the dice. Want to take that chance?

Sure wish this place had edit capabilities. Is it really that difficult to get that done? Many sites have it. Guess I just have to pay more attention. I sometimes find that difficult as I have reached an age where I just don’t seem to care much anymore.

Who would offer Uribe more than 2 years? I don’t see that happening.

His best offer should come from us, and it should be 1 with an option. Do what you did last year, and the next two years will be profitable for you. I don’t even see Jed making that three year mistake again. Once was enough.

Any time with this posting issue. Until we know what happens with Tanaka, how can we move on other SP’s? I would think there are a few teams waiting this one out.

Trade Kershaw to Texas? With Ned handling that deal?

I’m gona guess Ned sends Kersh, plus $50 mil, to Tx for Mitch Moreland

Mitch has some mad skills. He hit .340 one year at Bakersfield, so, you know he likes hitting in California. And the $50 million would just be blown somewhere else, so, in effect we saved the embarrassment of that happening.

Good trade.

13. Bob says:

More crazy trade idea.

Either, $5 million per year, and O. Garcia to San Diego for Headley. Forget Uribe.

Do MLB teams ever really try to properly balance their minor league prospects?

Based upon the out of date rankings on the Dodger website the Dodgers system has the follow imbalance of players in their Top 20

Starting pitchers 7 of Top 10 and 10 of Top 20
    Relievers 3 of Top 20
    Outfielders 4 of Top 20
    Catchers None
    First Base None
    Second Base None
    Shortstop 2 of Top 20
    Third Base 1 of Top 20

Is this result caused by failure of player development or a continual lopsided draft that will no longer be tolerated by fans or dodger management?

Should the Dodgers try to move some of their pitching for position players or just sign a major league average shortstop or Uribe for 2 years and Ramirez to a long term contract and draft position players for the next 5 years?

GM is a very difficult job. With Stan’s help hopefully Ned and Logan will do a better job in the next few years.

14. Watford Dodger says:

Bob I was thinking of something similar after reading that SD looking for a LH hitter. You are right – forget Uribe, Headley would really give the lineup some hitting depth.
    Be amazed if Clayton’s not a Dodger for life.

15. jerry says:

i dont think we have good scouts..most wouldnt know good talent if they saw it. need new scout like the old days.

16. Quasimodo says:

I don’t have any scouting reports on any scouts but it appears to me that Dodgers hired many scouts with great resumes. The world has gotten bigger where baseball is concerned and Dodgers placed scouts covering the planet. Can’t expect to get immediate results, but its my thinking we’ll be seeing fruits harvested soon enough.

17. Gonzo says:

I know there is a lot of things going on behind the scenes, but looking at it without blue colored glasses the non commitment from both sides is worrisome. My question is why Texas? If clayton doesn’t want to be here why accommodate him? Let that be the problem of the receiving club. I hope he says, but something has to give. Hell, send him to STL for Wacha, Tavares and some prospects. He said it was about the ring right? free agency intrigues him right? Well there you go.

Good point.

So….. If he wants to go to Texas let’s accommodate at least part of that – the wanting to go part. The problem with that of course is there are only a few teams that can afford him. And, if he’s traded I think it has to be to the other league. Texas is the place to start.

Just watched a great movie – I Am by Tom Shadyac. Interesting guy. Fascinating movie.

Jerry, we don’t have good scouts? Baseball America doesn’t think that. The section regarding the Dodgers’ top 10 prospects is entitled “Proper Evaluations Spur Revival”. They wrote the following:
    “While the Dodgers received attention for their spending, much of their success was a result of getting their evaluations right. One need only look at the neighboring Angels to see how spending sprees work when the evaluations misfire.” They reference the acquisition of Hanley Ramirez who was “in the midst of his second straight underachieving season” in July 2012, and the signing of Zach Greinke. They also write that “the Dodgers most controversial signing came in June 2012 when they signed…Yasiel Puig….Puig was a talented player on the rise in Cuba, but other teams questioned the Dodgers’ process–Puig had been suspended for the past year in Cuba and hadn’t been seen outside of the country since June 2011, with only one light showcase in Mexico where he didn’t face live pitching and wasn’t in game-ready condition.” They also mention the Dodgers’ evaluation of Hyun-Jin Ryu, and with respect to both Puig and Ryu state that “the Dodgers nailed their evaluation of both players.”

So be careful before taking unsubstantiated potshots at the Dodgers’ scouting. It’s likely a lot better than you perceive, and as Quas pointed out, the Dodgers scouting department has grown considerably since Guggs took charge, to the point where they’re now “covering the planet”. As Quas says, “Can’t expect to get immediate results, but its my thinking we’ll be seeing fruits harvested soon enough.”

Gonzo,

Why Texas?

It\’s really simple. No one is going to give anything of value for Kershaw for a one-year rental. If he really wants to go to Texas, the he will after this next season. Do you really think St. Louis will give Wacha for Kershaw for one year? Especially after the World Series where Wacha was the man.

Before Clayton is traded (and if he IS traded, it will be to Texas) he will have to reach a long-term agreement with the team. I don;t see the Cards paying $300 million. I see Texas doing it.

I hope not to see anyone paying any MLB baseball player $300 million. That would be the dumbest MLB move of all time. That would be ARod dumb.

Texas the ONLY place? If Texas doesn’t match say, an offer from the A’s, then Clayton goes to Oakland. Then Beane, who is much smarter than Colletti could ever hope to be, trades him mid season to the highest bidder – a team that really needs a pitcher to win it all. That likely won’t happen either but to say Texas is the ONLY place that the Dodgers can trade Kershaw sure limits LA. If he is traded, we all expect it to be to Texas, but, surprises abound in MLB.

21. Pgunn says:

If Texas has the players to trade for Kershaw, Texas would be better to keep those players and not to trade for Kershaw.

But he is not going anywhere.

22. Quasimodo says:

Wow! Just heard what is proposed about capping the bid war on Japan’s players for free agency and the bid going to the team with the lowest record. I can’t see that as being how it will end up as the team with the worse record would buy Tanaka for a bargaining chip if nothing else. Hope I heard all this wrong, TV is on in the next room.

23. Quasimodo says:

Oops! Take out ‘free agency’ and insert what fits in above post.

Wait- what? The team with the worst record of those who win a capped bid?

That could pay off for the crap teams. You want some parity? Why not join the rest of professional sports and impose a salary cap.

Pgunn,

How can you say Clayton is not going anywhere? That is wishful thinking. I love Clayton and hope he stays, but it may not be about money. It may be about Texas. If it\’s about money – he will stay in LA. The Dodgers will pay him more than anyone, but we need to understand that Clayton is not your usual athlete.

• voldomer says:

I wonder if the frequent Koufax comparisons are wearing on Kershaw? Maybe he is hesitant about feeding that with a long-term deal in LA.

I’m not pointing a finger at you, as others make the comparison too.

• Pgunn says:

That’s the first thing we need to do. Stop comparing him to Koufax and stop trying to find somebody to supplant Koufax. Just appreciate Kershaw for what he is. There’s enough room at the top for Kershaw with Koufax, drysdale, Sutton, Newcombe, Orel, Fernando, etc.

The report, that came from Tim Brown regarding maximum posting amounts has been denied by Brown according to the above, in which it’s stated that “While a report earlier in the day suggested that, if more than one team makes a max bid, the team with the worst record gets the right to negotiate with the player, Brown denies this. Rather, all teams who bid the max would be allowed to negotiate.”

And it appears that there are multiple ideas being considered.

No sense in speculating. It’ll be what it is, and we’ll find out soon enough. My guess is that they want to get this thing in place before the start of the Winter Meetings next week.

• Quasimodo says:

Thank you Brook. I felt I was at risk of looking silly and senile for hearing what I even had doubt in. Its comforting to know my hearing isn’t gone and my mind isn’t just making absurd things up. But I did hear it at MLBN as absurd as it is.

26. Quasimodo says:

Badger, I believe that’s what I heard, But I can’t see that taking flight.

Comparing him to Koufax has always been silly to me. But not sure I follow the logic here. It’s a compliment. Fans have been doing that in every city in every sport. I seriously doubt it bothers him.

It would be nice to know what he is thinking. Just because he is from another state doesn’t mean he can’t have a career elsewhere and move back to that state when he retires. Many have done it, including Nolan Ryan. And Kershaw could retire a gazillionaire before the age of 40.

• Pgunn says:

• Pgunn says:

I think, for those who have seen Koufax and Kershaw, the compliments work. But for those who have never seen Koufax, some might wonder why we should b concerned about a pitcher who last pitched in 1966. It’s the here and now that’s important and the past doesn’t matter.

28. Gonzo says:

That’s my point exactly Badger. Any team that would trade for Kershaw would hit the Jackpot at the TD. I still say the perfect destination would be Houston for their top three prospects and their 2B. Throw in Crawford (another Texas boy)or ethier and 30 million. BOOM.

IF YOU ARE FROM DALLAS YOU WON’T BE HAPPY IN HOUSTON. I’ve spent a lot of time in Texas and that dog won’t hunt.

Why is it silly to think that Kershaw could supplant Koufax? Koufax’s four years will likely never be duplicated, but if Kershaw puts up 15-18 seasons like Maddux, how can he not be the greatest?

It’s silly to think otherwise. That said, Clayton still has a long way to go, and he WAS better at 25, no matter how anyone tries and twist it.

Someone said “He’s better now, but Koufax is 75.” Look at the stats and say it with a straight face.

• Pgunn says:

I don’t think it wears on him, because there seems to be a respectful admiration for what Kershaw’s done so far. I think this is cool, because Kershaw doesn’t have to be better than Koufax, just be as good as he can be. It’s a personal choice and that gets lost in trying to be “right” and fans staking their claims.

Put down the crack pipe or pass it to me…. ;)

We always compare players to players we have seen. I compared Puig to a cross between Bo Jackson and Roberto Clemente. One can’t help but do that. It’s a baseline.

Who was best – Chamberlin or Russell? Mays or Mantle? Marino or Montana? No matter what you say, someone can argue the other side.

• Pgunn says:

But, after a while, one gets tired of the endless, who is better, discourse, as if you’re right and I’m wrong and we won’t leave until I realize that.

It used to be fun, but some people feel the need to justify their views and can’t understand why this isn’t universal.

32. jerry says:

i just said the thing about the scout..because of the 183 catcher they signed..none of you like that sign..maybe it was the scout said he was good.

If you are referring to my propounding that Kershaw may go down as the best Dodger pitcher of all time, that is not the way it happened. I was the one told I was silly, stupid or wrong. So you can\’t play that card on me – you haven\’t followed suit!

I have merely tried to present facts to people who don\’t want to be confused with them because their minds are already made up.

• Mark_Timmons says:

I understand people can have differing viewpoints – I have no problem with that, but if someone doesn’t respect my viewpoint, I’m not likely to respect theirs.

• Pgunn says:

Kershaw may well be the greatest Dodger pitcher one day. Anyone who tells you’re silly is wrong, because it is your viewpoint. Just as anyone who thinks Sutton was better than Koufax, because Sutton has the career numbers. I may not think so, it would be my opinion and not the universal view. Respect the views, but the important thing is how the Dodgers can win the pennant.

By the way, the Pacers better beat the Heat this year; it is set up for them to do so!!!

Jerry,

I assume the .183 catcher you’re referring to is Drew Butera. The Dodgers’ scouts know exactly what he is, and you can rest assured that none of them think he’s any good with a bat in his hands. The contract he signed was non-guaranteed. He’s never going to see that $700,000, and more than likely will end up as organizational catching depth to be utilized at the MLB level only in the case of an emergency.

“If being compared to Koufax wears on him, he is not the guy I think he is. Clayton wants to be himself… not Sandy.” – Mark

I agree with that Mark. And I also think that Kershaw recognizes the advantages of playing in the larger LA market, and probably also sees that he’s well on the way to establishing his own legacy in Dodger lore. And I don’t think all of that is outweighed by playing in his home state of Texas. But really, what do I know? So maybe playing in Texas is so important to him that he’ll leave. I just don’t see it. Maybe I’m just blind.

35. RogerCraig says:

Mark,

You need to realize that many of us old guys believe that Sandy was the best pitcher of all time who had his career cut short by bad luck. He was called the left arm of God. So we take affront when you say Clayton may be the best Dodger pitcher of all time, even if you are right. In this case my heart overrides my brain. Give it time.

36. Quasimodo says:

If Kershaw remains a Dodger and devotes himself to a long career and avoids injury he’ll be seen as the most valuable pitcher in the history of the Dodgers franchise. There’s too many ways to determine which is/was the best. There’s no way Kershaw or Koufax could dethrone the other. Both happen to be friends and have great admiration for one another, and that’s really cool.

“but if Kershaw” – Mark

Yeah, but if. But if I were your size Mark, I would have played football for the University of Nebraska and probably moved on the NFL.

I was wrong in the way I said “comparing is silly”. What I meant was, saying Kershaw, because of what he has done in a few years, will be the best Dodger pitcher of all time sounds silly to me. We don’t even know if Kershaw is going to stay a Dodger, so to say he will be better than Koufax is kinda goofy. Then you throw in the stats, that Kershaw won’t have opportunity to match, just makes it that much more goofy to those who watched both pitch. No hitters, perfect games, complete games, championships, 300+ strike outs, 54 wins in two seasons… on and on and on. Kershaw will never do anything like that. HE CAN’T! It’s IMPOSSIBLE!! That is why I think it’s silly to say what you did. Compare away. Like I said, people have doing that for a hundred years. They won’t stop. But, unless Kersahw matches the no hitters, the championships, the strike outs, the victories, the perfect game, the complete games………..

The Dodgers don’t have any catchers and they don’t have any 1st baseman, second baseman, or shortstops…. I think that is what jerry meant and I understood it. But I also think the paradigm for the Dodgers is to gather up pitching and trade it for whatever you need. I’m down with that.

“He could live in Dallas in the off-season. He could live on the beach or in the Valley seven months out of the year!” PGunn

That would work for me. But then, the beach is where I was raised. Kershaw, and his wife, were both raised in Dallas. If they intend to have children, moving them back and forth is not gonna happen. They will want to plant someplace, and my bet is that place is Texas. And Mark, all dogs hunt in Texas, so they could live in a Dallas suburb and still have Clayton home much of the year. Hell, Kevin Brown lived in Atlanta when he pitched for LA. He was given private jet service back and forth. And with Piazza’s $100 million, he made it work. I’m sure the Kershaw’s could make a monster contract from the Astros work. And the Astros have the young talent to make that trade work as well.

Pgunn says:
    December 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Because salary caps are inefficient.

Bleacher Report says:

“So the question persists, Does Major League Baseball need a salary cap or doesn’t it?

Answer: If it intends to be The National Pastime, then yes, the field needs to be leveled. But if they’ve conceded that title to the NFL already, then Major League Baseball can maintain the status quo and fare reasonably well.

In terms of popularity, the gap has become so great in professional sports that there’s two classes now. The NFL is so far ahead of the field, it would take a search party to find the rest. Even Major League Baseball all but concedes as much.

So rather than fight the good fight, MLB has been content to wave the white flag while it carves a different niche.”

Nothing wrong with being second. Everybody is getting rich, so, wtf? Why mess with a good thing?

It would appear that with what is going on in the “posting” process, MLB owners are pissed at the Dodgers and their ilk. Minnesota and Tampa want their shot at the Tanaka’s of the world.

39. Quasimodo says:

Dylan Hernandez, from the L.A. Times, was just on ‘Hot Stove’ and it seems to me that the things said about the posting fee to Japanese teams will go down one of three ways isn’t even close to how it’ll all go down. So we’re getting a lot of info to be uninformed. Wake me up when the coffee’s ready.

40. Quasimodo says:

Mark, things are very quiet over at Dodgerscribe. Hope your friend Tony Jackson is okay.

I’m betting on the Pacers!

The favorite will be Miami no matter what the records are by next year. And the Lakers owner needs a brain transplant. That nut fell far from the tree, rolled down the hill and came to rest on concrete.

I think it’s now crunch time for Tony. It’s pay up or he shuts up. Shame too. He’s a great writer.

So Detroit is about to sign Joe Nathan as their closer.

Does that mean Brian Wilson is back on our radar??

43. Bball says:

Yes it does. Looks like they r working on it right now according to mlb rumors

Excellent. Brian Wilson almost back

45. Quasimodo says:

Tigers probably are thinking the same thing as I am. Dodgers cutting ties with Belisario tells me that Dodgers have a plan that’s likely settled. It might be that Wilson is a sure fit already tabled. But at any rate the F/O is far ahead of what they are disclosing. Ducks are in a row, obviously.

Yanks sign Jacoby Ellsbury for a 7 year deal worth more than Carl Crawford’s $142 mil.

Unreal; good luck to them!

Are the Yankees trying to be the Dodgers of the East?

48. Bob says:

Hot Stove is really heating up.

Robinson Cano
    Offer him 3 years for $100,000,000 total with a full no trade clause, take it or leave it, expires in one hour.

49. Quasimodo says:

Over at M.S.T.I. Mike also feels that no news is the best news. If you think about it all, the team with the biggest guns is also the team that’s the most quiet. Dodgers are taking calls, not making them. I mean what we want the Dodgers to do is probably already done. For the most part that is.

50. Quasimodo says:

After 9:00 PT and not a word in here. Most unusual. Hmmm, okay, I’ll start with my hopes that aside from Wilson, I hope we see Mark Ellis back along with Juan Uribe, even if each demands a two year contract. I hope Dodgers don’t trade any of our outfielders. The start of 2014 has much greater promise than it did last year. Kemp and Ramirez should both be healthy opening day and I don’t believe either to be as fragile as many suspect. If M. Ellis and J. Uribe are bench, that’s not a bad thing. Bring in the youth for 2B and 3B. But still retain insurance of veterans. We won’t be singing the blues like we were the beginning of last season. Our biggest hopes last year were for the team to just be healthy. We have every reason to feel good about 2014 without a lot of tweeking.

51. Anonymous says:

Quas, I think everyone is just waiting for something to happen. We may sign Wilson before the meetings, but I don’t think much else will happen until next week.

Just to restate my wishes, I agree with you about keeping all 4 outfielders. My preference would be that we get the Cuban Shortstop and Hanley take 3rd base. A fantastic defender at shortstop would go a long ways in improving our defense and supporting our great pitching staff. I might still sign Uribe, but only as a back up for Hanley and Adrian and only for 2 years max. I like Mark Ellis but as a bench player he is very limited, only playing one position and having no power off the bench. Gordon can back up at 2nd.

I am still hoping for Tanaka and we need another lefty in the pen. It will likely be a while before these things are resolved. In any case I do agree that the Dodgers do have a plan and have a good idea of what players they want and don’t want. We will just have to wait and see what happens. I think we will be pleased.

52. Watford Dodger says:

Quas – May have been quiet last night because the server was down. I couldn’t log on until recently.
    Great news about Wilson nearing a deal & yes Quas things are going well. We are improving where we can – 3rd the only position where we can do something & if not get Uribe back. All the average utility guys have been released with scope to bring better in & the wobbly Belisario to be replaced by someone better as well. All the weak links are being improved and of course a full season of Kemp & Ramirez would make a hell of a difference & Crawford for that matter. Haren should be better than Cappy/Fife/McGill. The core of the team & pitching remains. So an upgrade @ 3rd & a good lefty in the pen plus throw on a couple of our young arms and we will be set. Wilson & Kenley should be lights out.

53. Quasimodo says:

I was having a bit if trouble getting here as well-still takes more than a single attempt to get here. I really wonder how it seems to be that M.Ellis would be terrible playing anywhere but 2B. Everybody says that, but as sure as he plays 2B, I can’t see it as impossible he’d do fine at any IF spot. I’m sure its apparent that I get a bit attached to our players. Okay, guilty as charged. But that’s only true where certain players have given a lot. At any rate, I’m even more excited than I was a year ago.

I suggested earlier that we trade Kershaw and some cash to the A’s for Donaldson, SS prospect Addison Russell, another prospect and one of their starting pitchers. I got a error notice. I’m thinking maybe that is what shut down the server.

• Pgunn says:

You could Lew Wolff cash, but he wouldn’t spend that money to sign Kershaw. He’s got money, but he won’t spend it.

Beane takes that deal, which means it’s not enough.

Donaldson is fine; Addison Russell is intriguing. Skipped AA last year and spent a week in AAA. Maybe on fast track. His age is a plus, because he’s not 21. Two reasons that’s a good sign: One, there’s is room for improvement, which will serve him well in the Dodger org. Second, LA can get him before he is ruined in the A’s org. The A’s aren’t known for keeping and developing their best position players lately.

The idea wouldn’t be for the A’s to sign Kershaw, it would be to sweeten the deal for his prospects, then at the deadline he moves him to the Texas team that is willing to pay the most for him.

This is just a sample of what could be done when baseball minds that know what they are doing put it on the table. Everybody gets what they want. The A’s put more butts in seats and win more games, the Dodgers fatten their roster with young talent and Kershaw goes to Texas where he lives the good life and rubs elbows with Marvin Davis, the Bass Brothers and the Louie Gomert’s of the super conscious state of Texas.

I know it doesn’t happen. But, it’s the off season. What else is there to do?

The idea wouldn’t be for Beane to sign Kershaw, it would be to sweeten the deal for his prospects, then at the deadline he moves him to the Texas team that is willing to pay the most for him.

I know it doesn’t happen. But, it’s the off season. What else is there to do?

Cuban shortstop Arruebarruena is scheduled to showcase his talents this Friday and Saturday. If he’s been cleared or about to be cleared by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control, maybe this matter will be resolved soon. If the Dodgers are serious about him, then it’s probably best that they have closure on this before the end of the Winter Meetings next week.

This place needs some maintenance.

There will be a number of bids on Tanaka. I wonder how much of a say the player has in where he actually plays.

58. Quasimodo says:

Its my understanding that Tanaka will be in effect a ‘free agent’ but only to the clubs who posted the(in Tanaka’s case)$20 million. As where the posting is only charged to the bidder that Tanaka signs with, we’ll likely see all MLB clubs joining in for the simple reason to raise Tanaka’s contract value and profit by the tax share. What a cam of worms.

• Quasimodo says:

*can of worms, not *cam. Its hard to believe this is how it all turned out after all this time. What will be next is MLB charging a posting fee for rights to post.

I think it’s just a procedural thing to keep the small market teams involved in the process. I would think the team that offers the most money still gets the player. That will probably be the same list of teams we see every year.

And of course now we read the Eagles aren’t happy with the new deal so they may just hang on to Tanaka.

I hates winter.

59. Quasimodo says:

Wilson is a 2014 Dodger for $10 million! Great news! If its really news.

60. Bob says:

Not a good week for this website considering how much is happening in the Hot Stove. Did Mark hire Tony Trenkle?

Wilson? Happy! Happy!

Is Yimi Garcia ready to pitch in the bullpen next year? If yes, then does that mean the Dodgers are done signing high priced relievers? Should the Dodgers try to get League in shape or just DFA him? He was sweating bullets after 2 pitches last year. I can not believe that he was in shape during any part of the 2013 season.

Now sign some players for the bench and wait for the JPN posting process to begin.

61. Quasimodo says:

Yeah, I’d say MLB screwed this one up on many levels. So its seems obvious that the ‘reached agreement’ is heading to the trash can and we’ll go back to throwing the pasta at the wall.

$10 million for 20 innings worth of work?

Holy crap.

63. Quasimodo says:

I’m listening to the media talk about agreement analysis and they’re skipping past the problems that are certain to come out of all this. If it goes as we’re told, I’d lay odds that 30 teams meet the cap and Tanaka is basically a free agent or bidding won’t even on the menu. More likely than anything, its back to the drawing board forcing teams to assemble their rosters and ultimately keeping the smaller franchises out from the bid before its settled.

64. grumpy3b says:

I hear the Fredrick’s on Hollywood Blvd has laid-in a new supply of merkins now that The Merkin is back. Just dye them blue, setup a stand outside the stadium and viola $5k/day profit. Add sleeve tats and it’s called accessorizing. Hck sign Rodman up as a face model.

I wonder if Real Doll, Inc will start offering a furry faced Wilson model?

Warming up my iron so I can iron my eyes and don’t actually try and watch him pitch…just Vinny describing the action will be OK. Oh, hell, what if all that exposure to The Merkin does harm to Vinny’s vision? Oh, Oh…naw I’m sure he has viewed worse, Tommy running out the the mound like he was chasing a Dominoes Pizza delivery driver who missed his house was not exactly aesthetically pleasing either.

No matter the pen is hugely improved though admittedly a bit tedious as one reliever could drop dead on any pitch and the other’s arm could fly off careening into the backstop. At least it’s drama and excitement one usually must attend a NASCAR event to find.

And the whole “As the Kershaw Turns” thing is so LA. At this point who cares? He either stays or not? If not then keep running the kid out there until his arm falls off, 300+ innings/season @120-140 p/st seems fine if he does not re-up now. The teams gets max use from him and the FA market gets a new once-was-an-ace guy with a 2-yr life expectancy in MLB terms. Teams don’t have to play warm-fuzzy with players. They only do it to make them happy and keep them around.

Cano in Seattle?

I don’t see it. But I do see any 10 year contract sprouting albatross wings.

Japanese baseball might have to accept some terms they don’t like. Suck seaweed Rakuten. You got Fukushima. We got LA and Gnu Yourk and we got enough dumb mutherf&@!?#% to pay the box seat prices that will give your players the money you obviously can’t.

God bless the USA.

66. Bob says:

Sad day for South Africa.

Ryu, Peterson, and Magill for David Price

I was listening to MLB on XM today, and it appears that Rakuten voted against the new posting process. Seems that the player is posted by the team. Consequently, if Rakuten decides not to post Tanaka because they’re unhappy with receiving ONLY $20 million after looking forward to a payday of $50 million or more, then, in fact, there will be no bidding for Tanaka. Haven’t read anything about this yet, so perhaps there are other interpretations I haven’t heard.

This is from MSTI, and contains a thread regarding the Tanaka posting.

Some more on the Tanaka posting.

I wonder if Rakuten can find a way to make money in addition to the $20 million posting fee, if they post Tanaka. Perhaps a promotion of some sorts.

70. Quasimodo says:

Well, it’ll be either 30 or 0 clubs in the bid. I have a hard time seeing that Japan’s public ‘backlash’ against the Golden Eagles for not marketing Tanaka is much of a threat. If that’s what MLB was thinking their muscle is then I’m gonna bet Tanaka’s will not play in US this coming season.

Reading that it suggests to me they might be wise to hang on to him another year.

Then again, something could go wrong and they have turned their back on a sure 20 XL.

My gut tells me if MLB wants this kid here it will happen.

72. emerson-Lake says:

Hey Mark–Tony Jackson hasn’t posted on Dodger Scribe for over a week now. Is he still in the game? He was just starting to get me hooked.

73. Quasimodo says:

I forgot to mention in all the talk above about Kershaw playing for a team other than the Dodgers. Besides Dodger Stadium being pitcher friendly, Dodger Stadium also has A.J. Ellis. He ain’t goin nowhere.

This indicates that Tanaka might not be posted.

As for me, which is often the case, I don’t have a clue. Meanwhile, the Dodgers should probably just go about their business as if he wasn’t going to be posted.

Meanwhile, our friend Ronald Belisario signed with the White Sox for $3 million, more than it was predicted he would have gotten in arbitration. Eric Stephen at TBLA writes that this suggests that the Dodgers could have gotten back something in a trade. Maybe. But the Dodgers probably guessed that the risk of having to pay him an arbitration award was not worth whatever “warm body” they may have gotten in return.

Hearing that Cano is on a plane headed to Seattle, and that they may have offered him a 10 year deal worth in the neighborhood of $230 million. Well, good luck to them if it’s so. He’s probably got several more good years left, but not 10, especially for those dollars. Ten years would take him to his age 40 season. If it’s so, he’s going to need some stealth PED’s.

• Quasimodo says:

Brook, I just heard at MLBN that Seattle has offered Cano $225 million for 9 years. On the Tanaka issue, I would think that the Golden Eagles are free to allow Tanaka to become a free agent with a deal for percentage of his contract. MLB wouldn’t like this, but who says they have to? Surely not the law.

Did you actually hear that Quas? Seems to me that such a move would violate the intent of the agreement. For sure, the Japanese players wouldn’t be happy, since this new system seems designed to put more money in their pockets. Not sure how MLB would fee about such a deal, but you can be certain that the players union (the MLB players union) would strenuously object to any deal that took money away from a player, even one from Japan.

“would feel” NOT “would fee”.

• Quasimodo says:

No, that’s not anything I heard. But MLB messed this thing up so bad that those who have invested in the Golden Eagles are left feeling burned. I sure do not believe they’ll favor marketing Tanaka this season when a so called agreement will have to be reconsidered when he’s kept in Japan. The Golden Eagles have 2 years for things to change more to their liking.

• Quasimodo says:

After all, US franchises are able to trade players to other franchises even to a point where players are still being paid by the franchise they came from or the other way around. I’m sure Tanaka himself would be happy to buy his free agency for more than $20 million. Like I said, what a can of worms.

Maybe I am missing something but I don’t see it the same way you guys do. Again, it’s just a gut feeling, but every team in Japan but the Eagles voted yes for this agreement. The only reason they voted no was obvious, they want twice what the rest of the league agreed to. Can’t blame them, but, I got a feeling something will be worked out.

Not sure what the average payroll is over there, but am pretty sure, since the highest paid player in the league there makes about 5 million, that $20 million is a lot of clams for those guys. You could buy 4 Hiroki Cano’s with that money. With the agreement that EVERYONE but the Eagles agreed to – nobody loses, including the Eagles. Maybe they will remain stubborn about it. That is their perogative I suppose, but with everyone else looking at them and asking wtf, it’s my guess they eventually come around. I could be wrong. I was wrong twice. Once in ’66, then again in ’78.

JayZ done pissed off the Seattle owner.

Come on Robinson, just take the Yankees money and be done with it. Gnu Yourk is where you belong. Seattle is a different world from the one you are used to. It won’t work for you out there.

And now they are close again …,

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It might work for a while, but Cano has seen his best years. He will put up Beltre numbers in Seattle.

9 years guaranteed. Mommas don’t let your babies grow up to be teachers. We don’t value them. We value guys that can hit a ball with a stick.

Now it’s 10 years. That’s insane!

Or is it?

There is so much money flying around this league it’s ludicrous.

I think I’m getting close to being done going to games.

80. Bob says:

Will Cano break the record for intentional walks in one year while playing for Seattle?

Trade Kemp for Seager and Montero

Good luck Seattle. He won’t be worth it.

As far as we go, looks like the Yanks and Sox need a bat, and perhaps Seattle wants a bat to go with Cano.

Hopefully Ned doesn’t bend over too much if he deals with those guys.

82. Quasimodo says:

Well, thinking about Tanaka buying his freedom for more than $20 million makes more sense, cents and since for all concerned parties than does a cap bit of $20 million. All of the contract fees would be taxable to make MLB happy, and Tanaka (his agent) would be in better position with the freedom to deal with any of the 30 parties and for the interested franchises its normal business with their chase of free agents. You still have to look at this as ‘its the Golden Eagles who are holding the cards’.

83. Quasimodo says:

$240 million. I’m in good shape when I can afford 2-ply toilet paper.

84. Bob says:

Three way?

Price to LA

Walker, Beckett and Cash to Tampa

Kemp, Cash, and Pederson to Seattle

85. Idaho al says:

Booklyn–I cannot imagine the Mariners taking Cano. I would trade
    Either for Paxton and Franklin in a heart beat. Paxton is going to be great and he is a left hander. Seattle brought him up late last year and I believe he started three games. He looked very good.

86. Quasimodo says:

Newsflash! The radioactive particles leaked from Japan’s nuclear power plant disaster poisoning the pacific have migrated heavily to the Pacific North West where massive doses can be found in Starbuck’s coffee resulting in a madness similar to ‘Mad Cow disease’ causing sports franchise to sign insane contracts with free agents.

87. jerry says:

it seem to me japan is black mailing major league base ball…dont go after any japan players..i dont care how good they are..the owners are the boss,es ..not the players..until rich people figure that out ..then the player have total controll

88. Quasimodo says:

With all the comparisons of Kershaw and Koufax, Greinke and Drysdale have a lot in common as well. Especially offensively, but Greinke also is a pretty tough cat too. Pretty cocksure of himself and for good reason. Sure glad he’s a Dodger. If Greinke thinks a batter has something coming, he’s gonna get it. Ned did a good job.

1. [...] closer, but ended the season in mop-up duty and was left off the playoff roster. more… It was a good week… – ladodgertalk.com 12/02/2013 capped off with a win at Lucas Oil Stadium by the Colts today, [...]

2. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]